Prologue – Gazing up the Night Sky
215 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Star keepers," I subconsciously whispered, "what an amusing thought."

I scrolled down my phone quietly when the doorknob clicks and someone came in. I looked up before greeting him.

"Hey, finally taking a break?" I asked, sipping my coffee as I stare up my friend who just entered the break room.

He heaves with a small smile, "Eris, you're really lucky you have your break while we were having a war with the customers earlier."

"There were lots of orders?"

"It was a mess." He hums, "be quick, the others are annoyed that you're here chilling while they're busy working their ass off."

I let out a small chuckle, nodded, and stood up as I put my waist apron back on. "Time to work."

It's a busy day in the restaurant, indeed. The moment I went out of the break room, someone already called me over to a table. 

"Eris! Go to table number seven and attend to their table."

I took out my note and pen and quickly busied myself doing my part-time job -- taking an order and delivering the order, smiling faintly as I do so.

It took five more hours before the restaurant finally closed. Looking at the clear dark sky, I heard my co-workers bidding goodbyes to others and our manager. A lively friend patted me on the back and said, "good work today, Eris. See ya tomorrow!"

I nod, "Yeah, good work today too. Careful on your way home."

I made my way to my secondhand grey car, boarded in and started the engine. At 9:30PM after work, I got out of the parking lot and drove back to my apartment.  

In this quiet night, it's perfect to read novels online, or fetch a book on my collection. Come to think of it, there was a series that I'm following. The ending chapter of it should be updated tonight. I should go back home asap so I could read it soon.

I took a brief glance above the dark sky through my window. The stars aren't very visible, but they're there, sparkling faintly behind the hue of city lights.  I wonder, with thousands, millions and billions of miles afar they are, how bright can a star be in person?

I blinked, and a searing light blinded my eyes. Suddenly, I heard cries of a car's deafening horn and sounds of screeching tires. I kicked the break, but it was too late. Everything went black.

...

"...here-" multiple footsteps hurried over. I tried to open my eyes, but I see nothing but blurry images. 

"I found her! I found the driver!"

Shouts of a man invaded my ears, following with the familiar tone of a siren. An ambulance? Police, or fire track? I don't know, I can't seem to think straight. Then I looked around, finding myself on the ground, red liquid seemed to decorate around me...

"Medic! Medic!"

I blinked, and saw multiple colors of light. A glaring red, dizzying blue, and blinding white.

"S... stars?" 

A distant voice replied, "miss, do not speak. Keep your eyes on me, ok? You'll be fine, don't worry. We'll take you to the hospital."

My mouth moved, but my throat didn't produced a sound. What a weird looking star. In the distant sky, they don't seem to have colors. Oh, that reminds me...

There was a childish belief -- when you see a shooting star in the night sky, you make a wish. But be careful, let no others hear yours, or it'll not come true. But, what if I can't even whisper my wish? Will it still count? But then again, the star is billions of miles away, will it be even hear your wish?

Well, maybe it doesn't matter. Wishing is still a wonderful little thing. I closed my eyes, and breath deeply.

I wish upon the stars to grant me a second chance in life. Wherever will it be, whatever it may be...

8