B.2) Chapter 39- Until Next Time
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  Keldon pushed up towards Howard, invading his personal space as his knees wobbled. He struggled to swallow the lump in his throat. Did he hear what Howard said right?

  “W-what do you mean the entrance exams are finally wrapping up?”

  Howard had been casting his gaze over the spire when Keldon’s question had snapped him out of a hypnotic trance. He turned to Keldon with a frown.

  “I said what I said. Entrance exams are wrapping up.”

  “So early?! I thought they just barely started?”

  Howard put his hands on Keldon’s shoulders, gently putting distance between him and Keldon.

  “Oh sorry,” said Keldon.

  “They’ve been going on for a week by now. Though, you wouldn’t be the first one surprised by sudden change in schedule. The reasoning is dubious at best. But imperial orders have been steadily calling for more scribes and skill users in the war efforts. Advances have been slow, but progress needs to be made and rations need counting.”

  However, despite his reasonable explanation, Howard spoke with a sneer. Seems Howard didn’t even believe everything that came out of his own mouth.

  “How long would I have left to take the entrance exams then?”

  “They finish today. Although, depending on which course section you’re applying for, some have already finished.”

  Keldon’s heart sank as he scrambled to the rails, leaning out and looking for any sign of a destination landing that the platform. However, after a few moments of fruitless searching, he caught Howard glaring at him with dark eyes, not bothering to hide his murderous intent.

  “Howard? …Is something the matter?” asked Keldon.

  “So, you plan on applying towards the Grand Academy then. What course?” said Howard.

  There was venom in Howard’s glare as Howard took a step forward and the cold echo of his footstep rang out from the metal flooring. Howard stared down at him with a cold glare, darkness in his voice.

  “What. Course.”

  There was a tingling in Keldon’s chest, like flintstones smacking against one another and creating sparks.

  “Apprentice scribe I guess,”

  Almost immediately, Howard relaxed his posture, leaning back as his shoulders eased from their tense state.

  “Excellent, excellent! Well then, do your best to pass. With your keen eye, I’m sure you’d make a wonderful scribe!” said Howard with a disarming laugh.

  There was a whiplash of emotions that confused Keldon as Howard turned away from him, looking back over at the shrinking spire in the distance with a twinkle in his eye.

  “I swear if all the nobles are like this…” thought Keldon, shuffling a step away from Howard.

  For the next twenty minutes, Howard would steadily point out to different monuments of historical interest as Keldon tried his best to feign interest, though, there were plenty of distractions that swarmed his mind. The lives of countless people rested in his hands.

  “I swear, if the world gets swallowed up by a space monster because of a schedule change, I’m gonna lose it,” thought Keldon.

  And what about that voice in his head?

  Memories of flaring heat and piercing lights flashed into his head as a tingling in his spine reminded him of his confrontation with the entity known as Karyx. When he gave it some thought, how much did he truly know about the Names?

  “…and just past the Tahloum’s Crystal Orchard Memoriam we’ll be landing in Ferry Zone 12,” said Howard, pointing out to a black nest of metal illuminated by a myriad of lampposts in the distance.

  Keldon’s attention shifted to the distance where organized workers ran in uniform lines, scurrying to prepare the landing for their platform’s arrival. Rows of carriages headed by well-dressed servants were mounted with exotic animals that awaited those on the platforms. Orders were barked from a recognizable commander in bright red uniforms and workers in grey vests scurried to prepare for landing. It was all a very stark contrast to the single disheveled worker back in the city.

  The blood-red bitter words that he’d seen painted in the sewers of Kharburn echoed in the back of his head.

  “You can’t appreciate the view when you’re crawling in the dirt,” thought Keldon.

  There was a hollowness in his chest that ached when he thought about his past. He rubbed the soft fabric of Yan’s gift, hoping to bring back some of the warmth from earlier. But whatever wondrous magic had emerged from Yan’s scarf, there didn’t seem to be any trace of it left.

  The platform descended onto the dark metal nest with puffs of steam as the metal groaned with a dense creak. Workers scattered to roll out colorful carpets as the ramps extended out from the platform as the song of busywork danced through the air. Howard descended the ramp as Keldon trailed behind. They passed hundreds of exotic carts that were gleamed with acrylic polishes from the streetlamps that lit up the night until Howard stopped at a two-deck red carriage, helmed by a fierce earth-wyrm with obsidian stone plates. At the top of the carriage was a frail old man with dark eyebrows and a spindly nose who read a book much to close to his face by orblight.

  “Evening Feltman, take the boy to Baron VolldSteen’s manor for me, won’t you?” said Howard.

  The old man Howard called Feltman glanced up from his book, his eyes widening as he looked at Howard.

  “By the Divine! Master Howard, where have you been these last three days? Your father has been worried sick!” exclaimed Feltman.

  Howard rolled his eyes.

  “My attention has been occupied. I’ll brief him later tonight. Just do me a favor and bring this gentleman to Baron VolldSteen’s won’t you? He’s in a rush.”

  “But- “stammered Feltman.

  “I’ll make sure to tell Father that you’re running errands for me. You can take the rest of the night off once you’re done, I’m sure Matilda would appreciate seeing you more than once a week.”

  Feltman nodded, straightening his back as he tucked his book away behind him.

  “Many thanks, Master Howard,” said Feltman, turning to Keldon. “My sincere apologies for not acknowledging your presence Master…”

  “Oh, just calling me Keldon is okay,”

  “I wouldn’t dare, Master Keldon,” said Feltman. “A pleasure to serve you, you were in a rush you said?”

  “Yes, right. I need to get to…” said Keldon.

  He unraveled Bertram’s letter, only now fully reading its contents.

  “… get to someone named ‘Wubbo’’s place,” said Keldon.

  Both Howard and Feltman cocked their head at him, Howard raising an eyebrow.

  “…what?” asked Keldon.

  Feltman gave a sideways glance to Howard.

  “Don’t look at me like that, I hadn’t a clue they were that close either,” said Howard.

  “I see. Well, we’ll leave in just a few moments Master Keldon. I’ll need a minute and twenty-four seconds to get the cart ready.”

  Feltman scrambled down from the helm of the red cart, snapping together long belts and adjusting the harnesses that were strapped to the groundwyrm.

  Howard turned to Keldon, reaching out his hand for another handshake.

  “Until we cross paths again,” said Howard.

  “Maybe he’s not so bad after all,” thought Keldon.

  “Nice to meet you, Howard. I appreciate all the help. Hope to see you around again someday,” said Keldon.

  He took Howard’s hand into his own with a firm grip as the two of them locked eyes and hands.

  “All set Master Keldon,” said Feltman.

  Keldon turned towards the cart, a little bit shocked to see that the Feltman was holding open the cart door, and inside was a fresh assortment of fruits and cheeses with a frosted selection of wines.

  He climbed into the cart, taking a seat on a plush velvet cushion as Feltman closed the door with a gentle click. Keldon pulled open the curtained window to find that Howard had already left without giving him a chance at a second goodbye.

0