B.2) Chapter 42- Ticking Reputation
33 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  Keldon’s heart slammed against his chest as those dreaded words left Baron Volldsteen’s lips.

  “C-come again?” said Keldon.

  “I’m so sorry Keldon. If you mean the apprentice scribe entrance exams, those ended yesterday,” said Baron Volldsteen.

  Keldon felt like he’d just swallowed a boulder. Dark clouds fogged his mind as fear clutched the palms of his hands. His knees gave way like brittle glass. Keldon caught himself on a chair nearby as Baron Volldsteen rushed forward to help, but Keldon refused.

  “I’m fine,” he murmured. “B-but they’re still going on, aren’t they??”

  “Only the Elite student exams are still ongoing. The others have finished.”

  Keldon steadied himself onto the chair as he sat down. The black thoughts and fears that he’d pushed down below him rose, stealing his hope from his chest and tearing it in two.

  “I blew it…” he murmured.

  Keldon stared into the dead of space. That was it. His first and last chance. Gone.

  …

  Now what? He had no other leads. The only other thing that he knew was that Salem was going to Darkspine mountain. But how would he even be able to get there? A flood of negative emotions swept him away. He should have been faster. Salem died for nothing. He was what he’d feared all along.

  Nothing more than a failure.

  He felt a hand gently squeeze his shoulder.

  Slowly, his eyes glazed over to the hand, looking up to see lines of worry cross Baron Volldsteen’s face. He choked back his emotion. He was still in someone else’s home.

  “It’s a true shame, I understand buddy. But it’s not the end of the world, there’s always next year,” said Baron Volldsteen.

  “Yeah, there’s always next year,” thought Keldon.

  “Ye-“

  But as he went to agree with Baron Volldsteen he choked on his words. He couldn’t lie. He knew the truth. Time was ticking down, and fast. Who knew how bad things would get within a year? What would he even do within the next year? There was already barely enough time as is.

  He looked up, his blood curdling as a chill shook his body.

  Behind Baron Volldsteen’s compassionate face, out on the balcony window. Salem’s pale sunken face stared directly at him. His face was twisted in pain. Keldon’s breath was panicky and short as Salem’s sickly image whispered to him.

  “You…promised…me.”

  In the back of his mind, there was a quiet snap.

  “I’m a failure,” said Keldon, staring into the dead of space.

  Baron Volldsteen pursed his lips, pulling up a chair beside him.

  “Well, that’s a bit harsh. These things happen. Not like it’s the end of the world,” said Baron Volldsteen.

  “Not like it’s the end of the world…” echoed Baron Volldsteen’s words.

  Keldon buried his face in his knees, choking back a sob.

  “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to meet you like… this. Can I have a second?” asked Keldon.

  “Of course. Come Devra,” said Baron Volldsteen.

  On the way out, Baron Volldsteen gave Keldon a nod of understanding, getting up to leave as the Onyx Black Fleshhunter trailed behind him, dragging its tail along the marble floor and leaving deep scratches.

  “Don’t worry, you won’t be the first person to cry to me on a first meeting. I’ll have Olaf standby, if you need anything he’ll be able to tell you where I am,” said Baron Volldsteen.

  Baron Volldsteen opened the door, leading Devra out the door as the door swung closed with a heavy thud. The burst of wind from the door closing swept through the dining hall, snuffing out the scented candles from the dining table and leaving Keldon sitting alone at the end of a grand dining hall.

  “You promised…” whispered Salem’s voice.

  He couldn’t bear to look Salem in the face. Instead, he hid his face between his knees, like the coward he was.

  “I should have done more,” muttered Keldon, hanging his head.

  He stared blankly at the floor. What now? He looked to his backpack which had slid off him and laid slumped on the floor.

  “Salem’s notebook…” he thought.

  He dug through the backpack, looking for Salem’s notes as he forced his eyes to glance to the balcony window. But Salem’s face was gone, with only the breeze swaying the potted plants in the wind.

  His fingertips brushed against the worn but delicate pages of the notebook. He thumbed through the endless scrawling of notes, searching for guidance. Written in the notebook were countless attempted translations of Salem’s wife’s incantations, crossed out lines of erroneous information, and webs of arrows that pointed towards one another. He could feel the years of Salem’s frustration oozing from the pages.

  “Yet, he never gave up... But me? I can’t even make it up the first step. What the fuck am I even doing?!”

  He felt the sparks of anger flicker inside his chest. Why?! WHY!?!

  There was too much depending on him. His hands trembled, scrunching the corners of the notebook. He could feel the passion coursing through his veins. Keldon looked towards the heavy twin doors where Baron Volldsteen had left.

  “Stop feeling sorry for yourself idiot. Stand up dammit!” he thought.

  Keldon clenched his jaw, forcing the feelings of dread and sadness out of his mind. He couldn’t be stopped.

  He wouldn’t be stopped.

  Keldon pulled himself up on the back of the chair, steadying himself on his own two feet. He slung his backpack over his shoulder, furrowing his brows and stomping towards the door.

  “I’m done running…” he murmured.

  Keldon swung open the door, looking Olaf in the eyes with burning ferocity.

  “Take me to Baron Volldsteen. Um, I mean. Please,” said Keldon.

  Olaf chuckled a deep quiet laugh. “Not quite a hero’s landing I think you were hoping for, but you’ve got the spirit. Follow me if you will,”

  “Shit. Was I not kind of cool?” thought Keldon.

  Olaf led him around the corner, walking up a flight of milky marble stairs as the confidence and nerves battled each other in his mind. But Keldon took in a short breath, feeling himself unconsciously draw upon the name of fire as raw energy filled his legs.

  Olaf stopped at a small office door, knocking politely with his giant callused knuckles.

  “Just a second! Don’t open that door,” called Baron Volldsteen.

  “Sir Volldsteen, Master Keldon is here to see you,” said Olaf.

  Bumps and shuffling were heard from within the room as he and Olaf stood at the door, Keldon awkwardly shuffling his feet.

  “Not quite the determined moment I thought I’d have either,” he thought.

  A moment later Baron Volldsteen creaked open the door, straightening his bowtie.

  “Keldon! Happy to see you feeling better,” said Baron Volldsteen.

  Keldon peered behind the Baron, seeing Lillian Volldsteen leaning against the desk and waving at him with an upturned smile as she smoothed down frazzled curls of her dark hair.

  “Um… yeah. Well, Baron Volldsteen, you’d said that the only entrance exams left were the elite entrance exams. Sponsor me to take those instead. Please,” said Keldon.

  He held his breath, looking straight into the Baron’s dark eyes that swirled with playful mystery. However, the baron bit his lip, giving Keldon a concerned look.

  “Your enthusiasm is commendable. Impressive even, if not a little foolhardy. But you just got here to the capital. It's nothing like the Hissings. Noble children train for years to even stand a fighting chance at being noticed at the Elite exams. I’m afraid you’ll embarrass my- I mean, yourself. In the cloud sector, reputation is everything here,” said Baron Volldsteen.

  “I know, but, I can’t afford to wait. If you’re willing to sponsor me, please, I’m begging you,” said Keldon, bowing his head.

  He clamped his eyes shut, clenching his clammy hands. But there was still apprehension in Baron Volldsteen’s voice.

  “Sponsoring you isn’t the issue, but- “

  “Let him do it, darling,” said Lillian from behind the Baron.

  Keldon opened his eyes as Lillian inserted herself into the conversation, wrapping her arms around Baron Volldsteen’s waist as he turned to her, raising an eyebrow.

  “My love?” said Baron Volldsteen.

  “Remember when the Elstraght family wanted me to wed their third son? You know, the one that was the current martial dueling champion?” asked Lillian,

  “How could I forget? I made sniveling rat weep until next Tuesday,” said Baron Volldsteen, putting his hand overtop Lillian’s.

  “Well, not quite. I remember that the reason he cried was from how hard he laughed when he beat you senseless.”

  Baron Volldsteen frowned. “Perhaps you’re going senile.”

  Lillian squeezed his waist, causing Baron Volldsteen to jolt.

  “Okay okay! Yes yes, you’re right.” Said Baron Volldsteen.

  “But I also remember a certain beautiful Wubbo, returning to fight over and over again with blood and sweat, and betting everything he had to his name to win my love. A certain man that didn’t care about reputation nearly as much as he does now,” said Lillian.

  She lifted Keldon’s head to eye level.

  “Don’t you see a bit of that same fire within this young man? You know, if Bertram didn’t have a soft spot for hardworking young lads, we wouldn’t be here today,” said Lillian.

  Baron Volldsteen stared into Lillian’s eyes, stroking the side of her face. Keldon looked at Lillian, mentally sending gratitude for what she’d done.

  Baron Volldsteen sighed, turning to Keldon with a smile.

  “You better thank whatever God watches over your star that my wife is wise beyond the ages,” said Baron Volldsteen. “We leave immediately.”

  A broad smile beamed across Keldon’s face.

  “Thank you so much! You won’t regret it,” said Keldon, bowing even deeper.

  “Don’t think twice about it, my wife is right as usual. Once in a while, there are things more important than reputation. Once in a while,” said Baron Volldsteen. “Hand me my checkbook darling, we’ve got an entrance exam to crash.”

  Keldon broke into a wide grin, bouncing after Baron Volldsteen and Lillian as they left the corridor, making their way to the carriages outside.

0