B.2) Chapter 45- A Future Blossomed
22 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Welcome examinants, my name is Magister Fauticia. The slouched man is Magister Randle. Tonight, you have but one chance to change your destiny. Impress us, and you’ll be taken under one of our wings, trained personally, and have your lives changed forever,” said Magister Fauticia.

  Lantern lights shone down from behind her, casting her looming shadow over the examinants. Keldon gaped in wide-eyed awe.

  So, that’s what was at stake, Keldon thought.

  It was the opportunity to become personally tutored by a Magister! He’d never actually considered the difference between the exams but now that he thought about it, the Grand Academy took in students from across the continent, and even the best professors only had so much time.

  There was a tingling in Keldon’s chest as the feelings of adrenaline crawled through Keldon’s veins.

  “One shot,” thought Keldon.

  “One by one, you’ll demonstrate the magic that you feel best encompasses your skills and talent. At the end of your demonstration, if either Magister Randle or I decide you are a talent worthy of our time and efforts, you’ll be offered the coveted opportunity to obtain our personal tutelage,” said Magister Fauticia.

  Finishing her speech, Magister Fauticia turned around as Magister Randle finally straightened his posture. Magister Fauticia looked above her, as the examinants followed her gaze. Above the viewing platform where Magister Fauticia and Magister Randle sat, there was an unassuming wooden vessel that was covered in red curtains.

  “May we begin now?” asked Magister Fauticia, addressing the wooden vessel.

  “Proceed,” said a mysterious feminine voice.

  Magister Fauticia turned back to the examinants.

  “Then time to begin,” said Magister Fauticia.

  She pointed to one of the examinants. “You’ll be first. Then, we’ll proceed with the rest of you. Just sit on the sidelines for now.”

  The examinant gulped, nodding and stepping up to the center of the testing ring. Keldon, Alton, and the rest of the examinants moved to the side as Keldon found a small nook at the edge of a small, blackened crater, most likely left by a previous examinant. As the other examinants settled into their cliques in their own individual corners, once again, Keldon saw Alton by his lonesome. He waved at Alton, beckoning him over as Alton gave him a friendly smile, walking over.

  “That is quite a sweat you’ve worked up. Are you nervous?” asked Alton.

  He gave Alton a sheepish grin. “Could you tell?”

  “Relax, you’ll be fine,” said Alton, nudging him in the ribs.

  “I’m not sure in all honesty, but I’d like to be. Appreciate the sentiment though,” said Keldon, fidgeting with his robe.

  “And that’s why you’ll be fine. Men of quality are always willing to be small unlike these flashy show-offs,” said Alton. He pointed at the boy who stood in the middle of the ring, shooting sparks of light at a training dummy as Magister Randle yawned in a slouch.

  Blasting the training dummy to bits, the boy looked up to the platform with a wide grin and bright expectations. But, seeing the droll looks on the Magister’s faces, Keldon could see the enthusiasm in the boy’s expression die. The two Magisters looked at each other.

  “Your verdict, Magister Randle?”

  Pass,”

  “I’ll have to agree with Magister Randle, examinant. You may leave from the hallway you came from.”

  The boy hung his head, dragging his feet through the sand on the way out.

  Magister Fauticia turned to Alton. “You there, next.”

  As Alton’s name was called, Keldon noticed something within him change. Immediately, there was a drastic shift in his attitude. Alton took in a deep breath, as his lips curled into a wry smile. His eyes burned with intensity as he flicked his hair back, basking in the newly found attention of the room.

  “Finally, showtime,” he whispered.

  Keldon gave Alton a raised eyebrow as he strode into the center of the room, swirling his left hand as a mahogany wooden cube materialized with a soothing hum. The melodic rhythm captured all eyes in the room as the sound fell to a hush.

  *Activate Skill: Greater Blossom of Carnage*

  Magister Randle slid up from his slouch, peering over the balcony as Magister Fauticia pursed her lips with keen interest.

  The air around Alton shimmered crimson and the atmosphere warbled at his touch. Black ash swirled at Alton’s feet as a single blood-red aster flower bloomed around the sands of the training dummy.

  But then, another bloomed. And another. Two more. Ten more! Soon enough, the entire training field was full of intense aster flowers. They crackled with magical energy, radiating a misty aura that hummed to the drifting melodies of Alton’s wooden Skill “orb” as velvety music filled the arena.

  Alton closed his eyes as the aster flower lights grew dim and the music quiet. The tension in the air was palpable as Keldon held his breath, the awe ripped from his chest by a violent display of skill prowess. The only comparable skill Keldon could think of was Salem’s Origin of Flame skill, and although lacking in raw power, the level of control was easily on the same level.

  Then, the flowers shook. The resonating hums began to crescendo as crystal needles levitated from the aster flowers, swirling in a cloud around the training dummy. Gusts of wind kicked up sand as Keldon shielded his eyes, not daring to look away.

  Alton swept his hand in front of him, gently closing it into a fist as the needles fell to halt, suspending themselves in midair. And, with a flick of his wrist, every crystal needle shot through the training dummy, passing through the wooden doll-like butter and riddling it with thousands of tiny holes. He smiled, turning to the judges when suddenly, each crystal needle burst with blue light in a shattering explosion, stunning Keldon and the audience as Alton gave a gracious bow to the judges.

  For a second, silence.

  Both Magisters whipped to the side, turning to each other.

  “I want him,” they said in unison.

  Magister Randle scowled, “You stole one of the Hemley’s from me last year, I’m not giving you this one.”

  “That’s because like with this one, you were ill-equipped to train him. You know your expertise lies in Artillary Magic. You and I both know, I’m far better equipped to train this young man,” said Magister Fauticia.

  “Like damned you’re better equipped! How is Alchemic Magic more suitable? His talent would rot in the labs. He should be out in the fields, honing his craft!” said Magister Randle.

  “We’ll just let the boy decide then,” said Magister Fauticia, turning to Alton. “Boy, who do you want to study under?”

  Alton pursed his lips. “Hm. I don’t care who.”

  Magister Fauticia raised an eyebrow as Magister Randle stifled a snicker.

  “Oh? And enlighten us as to why that is,” said Magister Fauticia.

  “Because frankly, my artistic pursuit of going beyond perfection is worth far more than anyone field of specialization offers me,” said Alton.

  “A bold claim. And if I invest ample resources into your studies but your art proves to be no more than the finger paintings of an infant?” asked Magister Fauticia.

  “Traditionalists have never understood the avant-garde,” said Alton.

  “What is your name, boy?”

  “Alton Dieulafoy,”

  Magister Fauticia beamed, turning to Magister Randle. “Give the boy to me and the Alchemical Faction will offer you a fifteen percent discount on your purchases for the next year,”

  “Done, he seems like too much of a headache anyways.”

  Magister Fauticia and Magister Randle shook hands as the crowd erupted into murmurs. The New-blood girl from earlier shifted her eyes as she bit her lip and shrunk into the crowd. After a brief chat between the two, Magister Fauticia clapped her hands, summoning the attention of the room. She swirled her left hand, materializing a blue-ring-shaped skill orb as she pointed to the center of the room with her staff.

  *Activate Skill: Create Wooden Doll*

  “Enough chit-chat. Alton, we’ll be in the touch. You, to the center of the examining ring,” said Magister Fauticia, pointing to Keldon.

  His blood ran cold. He had to go up this early?! Swallowing the lump in his throat, Keldon steadied himself as he wandered to the center of the stage, feeling the pressure stare down on him.

  “What do I do?! How do I compare to THAT?!,” said Keldon, his mind racing.

  “You may begin,” said Magister Fauticia.

  …

  Keldon clenched his fist, taking up the steady iron stance as he extended his fist towards the training dummy.

  “Here’s hoping, Salem.”

  He breathed in a breath of cool air, summoning his skill orb. The red needle that Salem had gifted him faithfully appeared with a whirr as whispers danced in the crowds. Suddenly, a translucent blue menu materialized as a long list of skills was displayed to Keldon.

  *Greater Origin of fire

  *Sunlight’s sword

  *Create water

  *Eternal pillar of steel

  *Clean

  *Minor Heal

  And the list just went on. He needed to find a skill that would be similar to the effects of the name of fire. And quick.

  *Origin of Flame

  There! A lower-tiered version of Salem’s Origin of Flame skill should do the trick. He mentally commanded the skill orb to activate the skill as images of flames bursting out of the body flashed into his mind. Keldon closed his eyes, calling on the essence of primordial flame.

  “Karyx,” he whispered.

  *Activate Skill: Origin of Flame*

  Suddenly, there was a rush of blood that began pumping into his ears. The veins on his arms bulged as scorching heat exploded from the center of his chest. There was hushed awe from the crowd around him as tongues of flame licked off his body, blackening the sands around him.

  Direct the energy, Keldon thought as he swirled the raw energy inside his body. He pinpointed his focus on the training dummy, pushing for raw passion.

  “MORE!!” he thought. He reached into the blackness of his soul, pulling the passion from his core. The familiar chilly repercussions bit at his chest, but this was no time for hesitation! Keldon looked up, hoping to see two impressed magisters but instead was met with casua lappreciation. No, this wasn’t enough! He needed to surpass Alton. He needed to go beyond! But what kind of raw strength would impress-

  Back in Yan's vision, in the deeps of space. Images of starry fire and the sheer magnitude and celestial might of the being of seven stars filled his mind. Sparks of inspiration stirred in Keldon’s eyes. That’s it!! As his mind locked onto the floating corpse, Yan’s scarf began to glow a soft red.

  The feeling of vast space pulsed within him as within the deep blackness, he caught himself falling into the pits of his memory. He left behind the watchful eyes and testing pits of sand as he re-emerged into an iridescent space of milky stars bursting with life. Suddenly, the beast of seven horns and seven stars emerged from a swirling dark vortex blazing a trail of light. Stamping its thundering hooves, the being crashed through a nearby asteroid belt, sending twinkling bursts of starlight ablaze in a performance of comic power.

  Keldon felt a deep rumble in his soul as the image of starfire tugged at his passion, begging to be let out. He needed to mimic just a fraction of the power he’d witnessed.

  He swirled the ball of energy and passion within him, calling to the name of fire as the tongues of flame that licked off his body burned a streak of white. Magister Fauticia leaped to her feet, casting a skill at Keldon with her staff.

  *Activate Skill: Greater Prismatic barrier*

  “AARRRRGGGH!!” Keldon screamed, lunging at the training dummy.

  White light burned from his fist as his foot pounded against crystalized sand, turned to glass by the scorching heat. His fist shrieked as it soared through the air, slamming into the dummy, and obliterating it in a burst of light and heat. The force of the explosion sent him tumbling back, slamming his back against the barrier of light.

  His lungs burned with a rough cough as he struggled to catch his breath. Keldon immediately felt the cold shock crackle through him. Forcing himself upwards, he looked around the room, greeted by a stunned crowd.

  For a brief second, nothing. Only a wide-eyed look of shock plastered on everyone’s face made Keldon feel the nerves in his chest. Did he do it?

  “Impressive,” said Magister Fauticia. “Very Impressive,”

  She turned to Magister Randle who wore a sly smile on his tired face.

  “Well, Magister Randle? Care to take him on?”

  Keldon bit his lip, turning to Magister Randle whose dark eyes playfully twinkled against the lanternlight.

  “Tell me, son, do you only know any long-range magical skills?” said Magister Randle.

  “Shit,” Keldon thought. He considered lying for a second, before shaking his head knowing it would end poorly.

  “No Magister, I don’t”

  Magister Randle clicked his tongue, slouching back into his chair as knots began to twist in the pits of Keldon’s stomach.

  “*tch* Sorry examinant. My specialty is artillery magic, it’d be a waste of both of our times if I took you on. I’ll have to pass,” said Magister Randle.

  He felt like someone had just stomped on his feet, as he blinked in pain. Keldon turned to Magister Fauticia, hopeful.

  But Magister Fauticia pursed her lips, the greyed hairs drifting out of the neat bun on her head. “Apologies, but after taking in Alton I’m not allowed to take any more students. But with your skills, I’m sure you’ll succeed just fine in the normal courses. Try again in a couple of years,” said Magister Fauticia.

  She looked towards another student waiting on the sidelines,

  “Next!”

0