Chapter 8: “At the Gates of Adult Life” (revised traslation)
175 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Youth is a great treasure

 

I had reached 15 years of age, in the eyes and common sense of this world I had become an adult, by then almost everyone in the village knew of my intentions to travel the world, although it was not that I had hidden them either, and because of my parents' attitude towards me, they probably knew that they could not prevent the chick from leaving the nest, although he did not plan to leave the village at the first opportunity, I was making meticulous preparations, as the Gray Wolves visit the city of Ciliana every 6 months to trade, I used each visit to gather information and get anything that will be useful to me in my future.

 

The first thing was to obtain information about the magic that people in the north were capable of using, my trip will undoubtedly be bumpy and I would run into all kinds of people, so it was better to be forewarned, I was afraid that if I moved carelessly I might end up facing dangerous people and I did not want to surprise myself with unknown types of magic against whom I probably had no defense, especially magic of the kind that manipulates the mind, such as illusion or mind control magic, fortunately, the effectiveness of illusion magic depends largely on the skill of the person who casts it and the perception capacity of the target person, so it shouldn't be a big problem, the most dangerous without a doubt were mind-control magic.

 

The《Mind control》 is an ambiguous term that encompasses many things, one can manipulate fear, pain, perception of reality, one can manipulate fear, pain, perception of reality, fortunately, my biggest fear that was being controlled against my will by some powerful magic is not totally possible, not without first considerably weakening the will of the victim, in addition, magic catalysts and amplifiers are needed, also to be a short distance from the object, so unless I am taken prisoner by someone and go through previous torture sessions to 《soften》 the will I don't have to worry about it.

 

About combat magic, this is divided into melee and ranged magic, power levels are divided from 1 to 5 for close combat magic and 1 to 4 for ranged combat magic.

Melee magic levels are measured by the number of people without magic it takes to face a user of melee magic with a 50 percent chance of winning, but since many have the ability to also use some ranged attack magic, their actual strength is less.

Level 1, its strength is approximately 5 people, the most numerous are usually sergeants or their equivalents in the armies, when he was evaluated at his home, my father Erik was at this level.

Level 2, their strength reaches up to 30 people, they are usually captains in armies, it is the minimum requirement to become a knight, my father Erik considers himself a warrior of this level.

Level 3, their strength reaches 100 people, they are the captains of the knights, there are no records of people outside the nobility in northern countries reaching this level, according to my own assessment, my father Erik's strength and dexterity are at this level.

Level 4, they already measure their strength based on monsters, normally a person capable of defeating a Wyvern (a minor dragon) without help is considered level 4, only a handful of people with this level have been known to exist, they are heroes of tales and legendary warriors.

Level 5, kills demons, he only knows of a person who reached this level and is already entering the mythical terrain.

 

Melee magic is based on physical enhancement and weapon enhancement, In the village, we only have steel weapons, which is not the best magic conductor but it is strong and after much trial and error I managed to produce Damascus steel, the weapons available in the village are of good quality but the problem lies in the 《fantasy metals》 or magic metals, who are much better magical conductors and can outperform steel by enhancing their characteristics with magic, the first, most basic and abundant is the Mithril, which is a great magical conductor, in its basic state it is weaker than steel, but enhanced with magic it can exceed it by 15 to 30 percent since I have not found any information on Damascus steel, it may not have been invented due to the existence of magical metals, Mithril is used pure or combined with other metals, since it does not lose its magical conduction properties, nor does it weaken the metal with which it is combined, my father Erik's swords are made of an alloy of steel with Mithril.

 

The Orichalcum is stronger than the Mithril, but being an equally effective conductor, it is very rare and expensive, only people of high purchasing power can afford weapons or armor of Orichalcum, It cannot be combined with any other metal and its manufacturing process is very difficult since it requires very high-temperature furnaces, only the richest and most influential nobles have weapons or armor of Orichalcum.

 

Adamant is very rare, it can only be melted in a 《Magic Furnace》, the objects created with it are at the level of national treasures, only emperors, kings or princes would have Adamant weapons or armor, it is practically unbreakable with normal methods and has a special property, if during the manufacturing process a powerful wizard imbues a special spell on it, it can change shape at the will of its owner, having a form 《at rest》 and a form 《true》, the clothes that the royal family of Castial wears in public functions are said to be made of Adamant and at will can take the form of powerful magical armor.

 

The last by far the most mysterious and powerful magic metal is Ebony, only a few samples of it are known in its natural state, one is preserved by the royal family of Castial as a national treasure, the methods to shape it are not known, the only known objects of Ebon are found in the inaccessible ruins of an ancient magical civilization, they have only been observed from afar and a few have been recovered, nor has a vein of Ebony ore ever been found.

 

My weapons are limited to Damascus steel combined with Mithril, although I'd like to get my hands on the other exotic fantasy metals they are too expensive and hard to come by.

 

Ranged combat magic is based on the use of elemental forces to cause damage, it can be through the direct release of an elemental force, such as a fireball, or through the infusion of magic into an object, such as an arrow or bolt.

Ranged combat magic levels are measured by the destructive power of attacks.

Level 1, they are capable of hitting a single target, fireballs capable of setting people on fire, water balloons that hit hard enough to stun a person, magic-enhanced arrows or bolts, most level 2 melee warriors can use level 1 ranged combat magic.

Level 2, they are capable of hitting multiple people, fireballs that explode with the force of a hand grenade, blasts of air capable of deflecting arrows, water balloons capable of knocking down a rider and his horse together, most level 3 melee warriors, can use level 2 ranged combat magic, basic healers are considered level 2 wizards, my mother Ivina were considered Level 2 as she could combine 2 elemental magic into one arrow, which is considered a very difficult feat.

Level 3, can only be used by specialized sorcerers, they can use complex magic such as fire arrows, that move at the speed of arrows but are purely fiery, fireballs that have the power of heavy artillery shells, they can summon blasts of air like tornadoes or launch lightning storms, specialized healers are also considered level 3, able to heal wounds such as missing limbs with ease.

Level 4, already at the level of legendary heroes, have the ability to use the magic of great destructive power, capable of destroying armies or cities by themselves.

 

Both my father Erik and I, due to our strength and skill, would be considered level 3 warriors in hand-to-hand combat, but we are unable to use ranged combat magic which puts us at a great disadvantage when facing warriors with our same level, I believed there was little I could do about it to lessen my disadvantage of not being able to use ranged attack spells except to focus on alchemy, but one day I learned that rune magic might be the answer I needed.

6