Chapter 19: “The Ravens” (re edited / revised traslation)
78 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fight to protect

 

I ran straight towards Orlan, I had to prevent him from having the advantage of distance, I didn't know what other types of attack magic I can use, Orlan winced at my intentions and jumped back several times to keep his distance, but I ran faster than he managed to get away, I cast another lightning spell to buy time but I blocked it with the runes on my gauntlets in a shower of sparks.

 

Direct combat was apparently not Orlan's specialty, attacking him with a quick succession of thrusts; caught in very close combat his fighting style with his scimitars based on giving horizontal and diagonal cuts collapsed, his defense became frantic and erratic, I finally managed to stab him in the left shoulder and screamed in pain, he dropped one of his weapons, his defense collapsed but at that moment he loudly yelled "SPARKLING EXPLOSION!", and a reaper flash engulfed me.

 

I was thrown backward and felt my body shake and numb as it was pierced by the electricity, I was almost out of breath because of it, "you forced me to use a desperate move", Orlan said between gasps, he quickly took out a flask from a pocket of his clothes and drank the contents, then gradually the wound that had opened on his left shoulder began to heal.

 

I staggered to my feet, my whole body felt numb from the electricity, if I had lost consciousness now I would be dead, Orlan opened and closed his left hand checking that the wound was healed, then he took the scimitar that he had dropped and launched himself straight at me, I intended to finish this as quickly as possible.

 

Orlan attacked me carelessly, surely he thought that with a numb body he could finish me off at once, with minimal movements he managed to deflect and block all his attacks, "You're too stubborn, die a damn time!", Orlan said, dazed by not being able to overcome my defense, we lock swords and with force, I throw myself back, he then ran in the direction of the wounded man who was armed with a rapier and quickly gave him a healing potion to drink.

 

"Get up damn it, help me finish it, that damn is strong", Orlan said annoyed, "that bastard is going to pay me", said the other man, Orlan charged me again as the other man recovered, we clashed swords again, though I couldn't get past my defense, in my current state I couldn't fight back effectively either, we were at a standstill.

 

I needed to get the upper hand, we locked swords again and I threw a front kick to Orlan's chest that knocked him back, I needed to get the upper hand, we locked swords again and I threw a front kick to Orlan's chest that knocked him back, I drank it in one sip, although it would take a few minutes for it to take full effect, Orlan glared at me, jumped back, and cast a lightning spell on me again, I blocked it again with the runes of my gauntlets but was momentarily blinded by the explosion of sparks, sensing the danger I rolled to the right side, almost at the same moment the man armed with a rapier walked in a straight line where I was standing just a moment ago.

 

He had launched a frontal charge with all his might taking advantage of the fraction of a second that I was immobilized by the lightning spell, I barely finished rolling and Orlan was already launching a frontal attack, I managed to block his attacks, I felt that the potion was slowly taking effect and I was recovering from the numbness, but now I had a second opponent to worry about.

 

The man armed with the rapier attacked again, but it was not a thrust, it was a sweeping blow reinforced with magic, I blocked the blow but I was fiercely thrown back and involuntarily dropped the swords, Orlan laughed wickedly when he realized he was unarmed, lunged straight for me but I avoided it by rolling to the right again, I jumped to my feet, then again the armed man with the rapier charged towards me.

 

Avoid the lunge with minimal movement to the left, then I took it by the right wrist and taking advantage of its own momentum I threw it strongly against the floor with a throw over the shoulder of Judo, cracking the floor tiles below him from the heavy impact, the man, screamed in pain, gasping and convulsing loudly due to the tremendous hit against the floor, Orlan who had been closing in to attack me couldn't believe what he had just seen.

 

With an opponent knocked out, it was Orlan's turn, he took a hesitant step back when he saw me put me in a fighting stance defiantly; seeing Orlan waver, I went on the attack, Orlan tried to reach me by throwing cuts with his scimitars but I blocked them all with the back of my gauntlets, I closed the distance even more and managed to connect blows to him, first one in the ribs, then another in the stomach that made him lose his posture and one in the jaw that threw him to the floor.

 

My unarmed fighting style influenced by my past memories was much faster and did not have unnecessary movements like the martial arts and sword schools of this world, that emphasized the beauty and harmony of the movements, it was crude and dry, but much more practical and lethal, Orlan staggered to his feet, looking at me with a mixture of hate and fear, Then I provoked him by saying "that's all one of the dukes can do! there are better fighters in the border taverns!".

 

Orlan erupted in fury, "SON OF A BITCH!", he screamed and lunged forward with both swords, but his movements had become erratic and careless, I was faster and before he could complete his attacks he was already landing punches; one on the left cheek, one more on the right, left ribs, right kidney and to finish an uppercut with my right that threw him back several meters and made him drop his swords, Orlan lay on the ground staring into infinity and breathing heavily.

 

I had been knocked out, I approached Orlan who was looking at me in terror, but he did something that I had not anticipated, he threw me one last threat "THE CROWS WILL END UP WITH YOU!! THEY WILL AVENGE THE DEATH OF ONE OF THEIR OWN!", he screamed with all his might, then I saw him make a strange movement with his tongue, "NOOO! DAMN!", I screamed and tried to stop him but it was too late.

 

He swallowed a capsule with poison that he had concealed as one of his teeth, I couldn't make it in time to make him throw it up, I looked at Orlan convulsing and foaming with blood from his mouth, the other man was still unconscious, the thugs and their boss who were being held were still paralyzed by the poisoned darts but they were conscious and had witnessed everything that happened; first I proceeded to tie up the swordsman who was still unconscious, then tie up the others and bandage the wound on the injured thug's leg, we would have a lot to talk about.

 

Transfer all the bodies to the center of the warehouse and separate each of the 4 individuals that I had under my control, that way they couldn't communicate with each other but they could still see what was going on with the rest of them, what was coming would not be pleasant and I will probably have to kill one or even all of them but sometimes evil is necessary to achieve a greater good, something like this could only be done coldly thanks to my adult consciousness from my previous life.

 

Let's start with the swordsman, he surely won't give me the answers I want, after all, he seems to be someone arrogant, I used a little paralyzing poison to make sure to totally restrict his movements, so I used a small jar containing a mixture that emits a strong smell, put it close to your nose, it is very effective in waking people up, the man woke up and scanned the surroundings with his gaze, when he was fully conscious and caught sight of me, he immediately shot me a look of contempt that changed to a look of panic when he noticed Orlan's corpse in the middle of the cellar.

 

"Yo-you! ho-how could you beat Orlan!", said the swordsman in panic, I looked him in the eye and made sure to release my aura of intimidation as much as possible, I could feel the other men screaming in fear, "I ask and you answer, do you understand?", I said in a cold and dry way, "I am Tiglish one of the trusted men of Chief Vinicius! Who will soon become the 6th Duke, a simple assassin cannot intimidate me!", Tidlish bellowed as he glared at me; I just ignored him, while still looking into his eyes I slowly pulled a tinder lighter out of my bag and lit it, then pulled out a small knife.

 

As Tidlish kept bellowing all kinds of curses and talking about how he would torture me to death after I was caught, I took him by one of his wrists and cut a segment of his little finger from his right hand; screams of agony filled the hold, tied up and partially paralyzed Tiglish could do nothing to oppose, so I took the lighter and cauterized the wound with it, again frantic screams filled the cellar, "wrong answer", I said calmly, while Tiglish's gaze turned one of utter terror, then I added "don't worry, I'm a very patient person, and it's just a small segment, you have five fingers on each hand and on each foot", he said while making a twisted smile, he could see Tiglish's jaw tremble as he swallowed hard.

3