Chapter 23: “Preparations for War”
61 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sometimes the best defense is attack

 

"Rookie can we talk?" Ariadna said from the door that led to the stairs, "of course you can speak without reservation, i will listen to you" I said while continuing my preparations, "the old man and the witch had already told me about it, but i thought you were only doing it for the money, i was really happy to see everyone happy and fearless here" said Ariadna as she looked into the distance, "after hearing Mrs. Edena's story there was no way I would look the other way, money is not the most important thing for me" I replied, "I appreciate it but that does not mean that I trusted you" said Ariadna this time staring at me, "of course I wouldn't trust a stranger either" I said and finished my preparations, "then rookie where are we going now?" asked Ariadna, "do you want to come? Just to get some information, but you can't go with those flashy clothes" I said with a little surprise, "that's not a problem" said Ariadna and instantly her clothes took on an appearance similar to mine.

 

"What was that now !!!" I said with surprise, "these are not simple elegant looking clothes" said Ariadna looking away, "don't tell me that is a magic adamante team ???" i said aloud putting on a face of enormous surprise, "it's not a big deal" said Ariadna as if it were something normal, "it's not a big deal !!! ??? Adamante is supposed to be so expensive that it is only used for the royal families and leaders of the nations !!!" i rebuked him nervously, upon hearing that, Ariadna made a dark face and looked away "don't tell anyone or I'll kill you!" he threatened me while pointing a finger at me, "if i'm sorry it's just that since i'm also a blacksmith i get a little excited" i said while raising both hands to apologize, i had touched on a sensitive topic that probably has to do with his past, "this will be a bit boring since we will avoid fighting as much as possible" i said to change the course of the conversation, "the witch said you were very good at getting information, i want to see how you do it" said Ariadna with a bored face.

 

After finalizing the details we started going into the shadows, we both dressed like ninjas, we moved quickly through dark alleys, finally near our objective we climbed to the roofs and cautiously we observed the surroundings to make sure that nobody was watching, i could see two people in the second floor of an old and battered building, they were Long and Ears, "those two over there are the ones who gave me the information, by the way i forgot to tell you i told them to call me Lykos, how should i tell them to call you?" i said in a whisper to Ariadna, "just make up something newbie" Ariadna said in a grumpy tone, "you said it, don't complain later" i said and immediately received a strong blow to the head "don't go overboard" said Ariadna fiercely, "yes, I don't want to die yet" i said as i rubbed the spot that had been hit.

 

It seems since i said that i would contact them Knuckles exclusively put Long and Ears to watch the second floor, that made everything easier, threw a small piece of rubble through the window, Long noticed it and when he looked out the window he saw us Ariadna and me standing on the roof of the building next door, i motioned for her not to speak and then we entered through the window, "Lykos?" Long said between doubts, "yes, it's been a long time" i replied and i could see both of them smile, "could you call Knuckles? we must talk about something important" i said in a serious tone, they both looked at each other and Ears low quickly to the first floor, after a few minutes he went up in the company of Knuckles, then Ears closed the door to the stairs with a key and leaned against it.

 

"I came back as promised" i said to Knuckles, "Lykos so does that mean you will help us?" Knuckles asked, "my bosses have decided that we will kill Morok and liberate the town" i told them, the three of them made happy faces, "that's why we need all the information they have about the town, guards, defenses, itinerary of the shipments, how many people live there, if possible a plan of the town " i told them, "there is a group of people who form a resistance in the town" said Long, "that would be very helpful" I answered, Ariadna remained silent paying attention to everything with a sharp look, "by the way Lykos who is she?" Knuckles said with a slight fear, "it is my superior Aquila, she will help me in this" i told them and the fear disappeared from their eyes.

 

The three of them had gathered a lot of information since we parted company after Orlan's death, they even had some makeshift plans for the town of Aube prepared, contacting the resistance would be difficult due to their tight control over the town, but Knuckles said he would send them a letter with a hidden message to her little sister who was a member of the resistance, i told her to include details that we would be the ones to contact her, i also indicated on the plans which was her sister's house so that we could contact her; in the town there were about 50 Ravens assassins, also 200 other Morok thugs, these weren't that strong but numbers would be a problem, especially if we wanted to avoid damaging the inhabitants.

 

After finalizing the details with the three of us, we retired, i promised to tell Knuckles when we would start the operation so that later he could mobilize his own men to secure the town, we retired in the same way that we arrived, first through the roofs and then through the alleys, we went around several times to make sure they weren't followed, then finally we returned to the orphanage, "well we got a lot of information, tomorrow we will present all this to the supervisor and prepare a plan" i said while taking out the black fabrics that hid my normal clothes, "so for today that's that's it?" asked curious Ariadna and her clothes had returned to the usual appearance, "yes, it is better that we rest for today, i will return to my inn" i said, "well i will stay here" said Ariadna and entered the orphanage.

 

The next morning i went again to the Mercenaries Guild, contrary to the previous times a large number of mercenaries came to shake my hand and greet me, of course they all reminded me that the offer to join their groups was still standing, after to finish with the greetings i approached the reception, when the usual receptionist saw me he told me that he was already waiting for me in the supervisor so after greeting the staff members directly i entered the supervisor's office Sancor, as soon as i finished closing the door i went received by a cold "you are late" from Ariadna, i only responded with a "sorry" somewhat embarrassed to see how supervisor Sancor and Miss Cilia laughed happily at my reaction.

 

I returned to expose all the information that i had obtained and suggested an action plan, again the supervisor Sancor listened very attentively while Miss Cilia took notes, when i finished with my presentation and the corresponding round of questions, the supervisor Sancor authorized her to start with the plan that he had presented in motion, the plan consisted of marching to the town of Aube, monitoring and surveying the surroundings of the town for a few days to obtain all possible information to avoid possible casualties among the villagers, then we would attack Morok and his men, after finalizing the details, we set the departure for after two days, we would leave at dawn, with that he would have time to contact Knuckles again tonight and implement the plan.

 

I left the Mercenaries Guild and went to the market to buy supplies for the trip, i also thought of buying something to prepare dinner at the orphanage to pay for the kindness of Mrs. Edena when she invited me to dinner the last time; while walking the market i ran into the dwarf Gulmir and he invited me to drink, fortunately he had a special medicine made by the Lobos Grises to avoid the most serious effects of alcohol because it was difficult to maintain his composure next to Gulmir who drank jug after a mug of beer as if the world was going to end, we had started before noon and by the time i was finally able to escape from Gulmir it was past mid afternoon, i hurried back to the inn and told them i would be away for at least two weeks, i paid a piece of clothing to reserve my room, i left all my things arranged and after a cold bath to awaken my mind i went to the orphanage.

 

When i was about to arrive at the orphanage, i saw Mrs. Edena sitting on a bench in the playground, when i thought of greeting her i saw that she was comforting Ariadna who was crying on her lap, i immediately decided to turn around and go back to the inn, i couldn't interrupt the precious moment between a mother and her daughter, i changed at the inn and went alone to meet Knuckles that night, with that everything was ready to start the operation.

3