Chapter 39: “Keeping Up Appearances”
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The power of deception is vital to winning a war

 

 

Supervisor Sancor agreed to find some good missions for us and to watch over the orphanage, we left the Guild and went to the market to buy some supplies to leave with Liath and Dub, we were again under intense surveillance since we left the Guild, although our pursuers did not try to hide their presence, we could not be sure if there were other hidden guards, so we should not tempt our luck, we acted as normal as possible, after shopping we went back to the inn, inside the room we carry all the supplies in my magic bag to be able to walk without visible lumps, Ariadna also had her own magic bag that was part of a set with her magic weapon and armor kit.

 

As a full month had passed since I rented the room at the inn, I decided to cancel the account, from today I would stay in the house in the west quadrant, I said goodbye to Mrs. Irta and Mr. Roy, it had been a very pleasant stay, Ariadna was waiting at the door of the inn when she was about to leave to catch up with her, Mrs. Irta called us both, "young Lif, young Ariadna, I wish you both the greatest happiness in your life as a couple", he said with a mischievous smile that caused Ariadna to blush deeply and try to hide her face with her hat, the most I could do was return a guilty smile as he rubbed the back of my head, so Ariadna immediately elbowed me hard in the ribs, I tried my best to keep my composure, I could hear Mrs. Irta and Mr. Roy giggling happily as we drove away from the inn.

 

We went to the orphanage, where Ariadna spent some time alone with Mrs. Edena, while waiting I helped Filip with the cleaning, after saying goodbye to everyone at the orphanage we headed to the west quadrant to meet up with Liath and Dub, to care for and watch over both of them, when we got to the house they were both sound asleep in separate rooms on the second floor, they probably just felt safe enough to rest properly, since there were four rooms on the second floor of the house we decided that Ariadna would move into the room next to Liath and I would occupy the room next to Dub, finally after settling in we went down to the kitchen, Ariadna would prepare something to eat for the twins while I checked the rest of the house, It was important to know the internal distribution, the accesses and possible weaknesses of the surroundings to ensure the defense in the worst case.

 

After checking the entire perimeter of the house, prepare a makeshift plan to discuss all the steps we would take in case we have to defend ourselves from a massive attack, I could smell a nice aroma coming from the kitchen, although it did not seem like it, Ariadna was very good at cooking, I had tasted their food during our trip to the village of Aube, apparently learned from Mrs. Edena, when I was about to enter the main room of the house, I noticed movement upstairs, apparently, the smell of food had awakened Liath and Dub, they both went down cautiously to the ground floor of the house, but they calmed down when they saw us both, as Ariadna continued cooking, I quickly set up the dining room table and invited Liath and Dub to sit down, then we waited patiently for Ariadna while the twins spoke to each other in their mother tongue.

 

"Well it's ready", said Ariadna and approached the table with a large pot of thick stew in her hands, I hadn't paid attention to him but had to admit that he looked great with the apron on over his usual clothes and a cloth holding her hair instead of her usual hat, although to avoid embarrassing her in front of strangers I decided to keep my comments to myself, Liath and Dub were served first, while they ate I explained to Ariadna the details of the defense of the house, the walls that surrounded it were approximately 3 and a half meters high, insufficient to stop level 3 warriors who could easily jump over them, level 2 warriors wouldn't have much trouble overcoming them either, but at least we wouldn't have to worry about discretion, since this was the only 2-story house on the block, so it would not be easy for them to spy on us from neighboring houses, though Liath and Dub should be cautious to make sure no one saw them; the twins gladly devoured their food and quickly served more portions.

 

As they looked at us very curious, Ariadna said that we should also eat, Ariadna's food was really delicious and Mrs. Edena's style was definitely noticeable in the way it was prepared when we finally finish eating we talk about future plans, "well Liath, Dud, they will stay in this house for the moment, besides us, only our bosses know they are here", I said seriously, they both looked at us very carefully so it was Dub who spoke, "so alsyd Lif what are the plans from now on", he asked, "for the moment we will hope that they recover properly, we also have other problems to attend to", Ariadna answered with a very serious face, "other problems?", asked Liath curious, "if we recently found out that we are being watched, we must run some errands as mercenaries to keep up appearances", I replied.

 

"But how is it possible? have they discovered their identities?", Dub asked, "they have not discovered us yet but they suspect all the strong people in the city", answered Ariadna, "did your paranoia grow that much?", Liath asked, "yes, I can disappear if I put my mind to it because I am an outsider, but Ariadna has people she appreciates very much living in the city and to avoid putting them in danger we must keep up appearances, for that reason from tomorrow we will do some ordinary work for a few days so that they do not suspect us", I answered, Liath and Dub looked at each other and in unison spoke, "And what will happen then?", they asked, "our bosses will give us some easy jobs, probably out of town, while you recover here, we will observe the situation, we will see how to act later", I answered.

 

That night we told Liath and Dub without giving many details about how we had acted collecting information and the fight against Morok, late at night I cautiously rechecked the perimeter of the house, while walking through the courtyard Dub approached me, "alsyd Lif something strange is happening inside", he said with a puzzled face, "what do you mean?", I asked for, "you will understand it better if you see it", replied Dub, so I followed him inside the house, there is the living room I could see Ariadna and Liath chatting and laughing happily, both were already in pajamas, "oh that's what I mean", said Dub pointing to both of them, "yes they have become close quickly", I said out loud and Ariadna gave me a cold look "it's a girl talk", she said darkly, "it's the first time I've seen my sister act as this alsyd Lif", said Dub, so I took it by the collar of their clothes and dragged them to the second floor amidst various protests, "If you don't want to die, don't poke your nose out", I replied as I heard both girls laughing happily on the first floor.

 

"I'm surprised you're not able to capture the atmosphere of the moment", reproach Dub, we had sat in a small living room next to the staircase, "we were raised as warriors, I don't really know much about ordinary life", said Dub sadly, they had probably been raised under a strict regime so he was not very familiar with aspects of normal life, "that doesn't sound funny, we should go partying when this is all over", I said to try to cheer him up, "how has your life been alsyd Lif?", Dub asked, "Well ...", I made a small summary in broad strokes telling him about my adventures, a bit of my childhood, when I left the village to work as a guide, the friends I had made and when I finally decided to leave the south, "Wow it's amazing alsyd Lif yes he has come a long way", said Dub amazed, "that's right, but I still want to go further, I want to see the world as much as possible," I said while thinking about all the path that I had traveled and all the decisions that had brought me up to this moment.

 

It had gotten quite late, as we continued talking I could see that Dub's ears moved slightly, then he looked in the direction of the stairs, his acute hearing had indicated that the girls had already finished talking and we're going up to the rooms, after a few seconds I could see Ariadna and Liath, "well I think that's enough for today, I'll see you all tomorrow, have a rest" I said and said goodbye to everyone to go to sleep.

2