Intelligence & Violence: Madine Morrigan
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV: Madine, the second
Date: June 30, 1991
Time: 12:15 PM

I hate days like this. I hate people like this. I hate places like this. So why do I do this? I honestly have no clue. Standing in front of me, complaining about the audience she has to deal with, is a show girl who thinks the whole world revolves around her. She's pretty, she's skinny, and she's absolutely stupid. I have to work with people like this daily because I am the ever so unfortunate owner of a carnival.

"Why don't you just send me out there naked then? That's what they really want!"

I wouldn't have a problem with that. The only reason you can't is because little kids come to this carnival. Then the law might get involved and I'd have to deal with it, and you'd end up jobless either way. But I can't say that... "You don't really want to do that, and you're not allowed to. Be glad you have this job, because there are plenty of girls who actually like doing what you do."

"You need to give me a raise."

Wait, where did that come from? Does she think we're on good terms? "Why would I need to give you a raise?" There's really no reason. I can't think of any good reason she would think she deserves a raise.

"Compensation!"

Excuse me? What? "Compensation? For what?" I honestly have no idea what she's thinking about. I swear to God I didn't touch her. Besides... I think she's old enough.

"All the dirty looks I get from the audience! It's like I'm just an object for them to lust after!"

Okay, we're done here. "Well, that was your job description. Not anymore, though." Judging by the look that appeared on her face, I guess she thought she was about to get a better job. "Frankly, I don't have the time to deal with you every time you think you're doing your job correctly."

This is the fun part, where it dawns on her that she doesn't work here anymore and that I can have her thrown out of my carnival if she doesn't leave. She'd also have to give that costume back. It doesn't belong to her, after all. So, when it started to look like she had convinced herself I was joking, I stood up and looked her directly in the face.

She doesn't work for me anymore, so I can say whatever I want. "You're fired. Get the fuck out of my circus before I have you kicked to the curb by fucking clowns. If it were up to me, I'd feed you to the tigers..." And then she started to panic. She rushed out the front of the tent, only stopping to offer me one last parting wish.

"I hope you fucking die, you bitch."

Don't we all. As she walked away, I heard her tell someone to get the fuck out of her fucking way. I wonder who that could be... oh, God. God, no. Please don't let it be...

"Marvelous, miraculous, mysterious mistress, Madam Madine Morrigan!"

Kill me now.

"Magnificent, magical, maniacal mother of madness, maiden of motherfucking mayhem, Madam Madine Morrigan!"

I hate these girls. If it's not Nara hating her job, it's Rix loving it too much. I am so glad I got rid of Nara... and now I'm in hell. Is this supposed to be karma or something? Is it broken? Why do I have to deal with Rix? ...I still have that tiger option... Oh, well. At least Rix does her job and doesn't ask for more money... wait, what did she just call me?

I managed to get back into my chair before the tent flap opened again, revealing Rix in all her retarded amounts of glee and a young man in a business suit and tie. He had sunglasses as well, probably trying to look cool, but I liked the blonde hair, which he had hanging down to his shoulders. Then Rix messed everything up by yelling at the top of her lungs.

"Presenting! The wor-"

"Rix, go fuck a balloon." She stopped and stared at me like what I had said broke her heart. Wait, shit, I just said that out loud. That's not what I meant, um, I don't know who this guy is. Did I just cause myself to lose everything I've got going here? "I, uh... I'm kidding of course. Rix, you know I love you. Just, now's not the time."

The look she gave me after that was even more dangerous. She stepped outside, thankfully, but it looked like she thought I had just confessed my love for her. I'll have to deal with that later, but only if this guy doesn't work for some major section of the government and has decided to pull the world out from under me. Well, let's see what he has to say.

"Do all your employees act like those two?"

In this situation, answering truthfully is best. "Actually, those two are the extremes. The rest are somewhere in between." He shrugged awkwardly before putting his hand to his mouth and coughing to clear his throat. I thought it best if we started with me knowing who he was, so I asked. "So... what are you here for?"

He looked up at me like it should have been obvious. After he realized that I really didn't know, he cleared his throat again and sat down. Now that I didn't have Rix yelling all over everything, I managed to get a better look at him, and determined that I at least liked how he looked. He was charming and had an air of mystery around him, which I love. What? I'm not so old that I can't be looking for love. What he said then sent me for a loop.

"I am here to take away your magic."

This day keeps getting better. I honestly don't think I have any magic, so whatever. "Well, you're out of luck. We don't have any magic, cause it's not real. If it was, and we did, I wouldn't let you have it." Let him suck on that.

"Alright, let me explain. What I do is I show audiences that there is no magic. I make a living out of disproving things like magic, miracles, religions, hauntings and the like. I heard that there was unexplained magic tricks being performed here, so I came to explain them."

I like this guy already. Unexplained magic trick... "There is a magic show, but I don't exactly supervise it. I'm usually busy elsewhere when it takes place, so I don't know what all they do. I just told them to make sure they practiced it before hand so nobody gets sawed in half for real."

"Let's go watch them practice then."

Hey, that's a great idea. There's just one problem, and it rhymes with paperwork and is spelled exactly the same. "I'd love to, but I'm a bit busy right now." I showed him what I meant by picking up a pile of papers. I'd tell you what they were, but I don't even read that shit.

"Okay. I'll see you around then."

It only occurred to me after he left that he was probably going to run into Rix at the rehearsal. I hate to leave him in that situation, but it's not my problem. Hope he's still alive later. I wouldn't mind getting to know him some more.

0