Chapter 1- Scammed
77 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Noah watched at the television screen in fascination, awestruck by the thoroughly unimpressive looking towers for the possibilities they might hold.

"Guess I owe you an apology, Mom" said Noah, grinning sheepishly.

Julia didn't react to his wisecrack, too captivated by the news to pay any attention. Though from her expression, she seemed more fearful than excited. Kylie on the other hand.....huh!?

"K-Kylie, why are you glowing like that? Or am I seeing things?" Noah asked in a panicked voice.

This seemed to catch Julia's attention as well, and she craned her neck to see what Kylie was doing.

"What are you talking about, big brother?" she asked, unaware of the white halo that had appeared behind her.

"What is going on! Kylie, are you okay!" Julia screamed, hurriedly getting up from the sofa and almost tripping in the process, towards where Kylie was standing.

Noah too had come to the same conclusion and had started moving towards her sister slightly earlier than his mother. Honestly, he didn't know if the white glow was some sort of alien contagion or a harmless light, his instincts had kicked in before he had a say in the matter. Not that he wouldn't have made the same choice regardless, that was his only sister after all.

Noah was within arm's reach of her, and he reached out to grab her shoulder. A chilling sensation of terror gripped his heart, as the only thing he grabbed on to was thin air. The white light around her had intensified, and milliseconds later she just disappeared into thin air.

Relocation of Non-Combatants to Floor 1 has been completed. Token Code #324321 has been allotted to you. You may reunite with the Non-Combatants on Floor 1 of the Main tower.

Noah stared at the blue screen that had materialized out of thin air in front of him, quickly skimming through the contents contained within it without considering how bizarre the situation was.

Moments away from losing his sanity, Noah finally calmed down. For now, it seemed that that white light conjured by the so-called towers had no intention of harming Kylie. Thank god for that.

"Mom, do you see this blue screen thingy as well!?" Noah asked, as it was the last piece he needed to verify his own sanity.

"Yes" she replied and then loudly exhaled in relief.

"Phew, guess Kylie should be okay. Since it mentioned non-combatants, I guess whoever is behind this has no intention of harming children. The real question is, how do we get there?" Noah asked, his tone laced with a sense of urgency.

"I don't know, Noah" she replied with a blank expression.

Both of them turned around at the same time, only to realize that the television had shut off at some point in time. Since it was currently daytime and their blinds were retracted, they hadn't noticed that the lights were gone too.

Julie hurriedly reached out for her pockets, pulling out her smartphone with trembling hands.

"Damn it" she screeched. "Phones don't work either. I hope Rick is doing alright..." she intoned in dismay.

The Tower of the Primordial One, has yet again awakened from its slumber. Rejoice, Mortals! Break free from the shackles of mortality, and take your first steps on the road to true divinity. Or simply watch from the sidelines and leave the fate of your race upon your fellow brethren, pursuing the alternate paths to power.

Noah Smith, the tower presents you with a choice!

- Teleportation to the Paradise of Aeons, Floor 1 of the Main Tower. This is a [Safe Area], combat is forbidden on this floor. Restricted access to Floor 2 until the tutorial phase is completed.

- Teleportation to the Tower of Glory, Floor 1-10(?). This is a [Trial Area], combat is enabled between the denizens of the tower and fellow challengers. A tutorial phase accessible to those who dare to seize the opportunity. Access to unique rewards and paths to power that are not accessible in the main tower.

If you do not select an option in 4M 59 seconds, it will be taken as consent to participate in the Tower of Glory.

"Praise the almighty" muttered Julia, obvious relief visible in her eyes. "Noah, did you get the same options as me? It says we can teleport directly to where Kylie is, and that's a safe area!" she said in a tone filled with exhilaration.

"Yeah, it's a relief" Noah replied, with a wide grin on his face.

"Now don't you be getting any ideas, young man. Though I don't know how life is going to be from now on, as long as we're all together we'll be fine, you hear me," said Julie, in a tone that managed to be reprimanding and reassuring at the same time.

"Come on, Mom" Noah rolled his eyes. "I don't have a death wish, and I've never been the type to pick fights either. Plus, the Paradise of Aeons sounds like a really comfortable place to live in" replied Noah, in a cautiously optimistic tone.

"Alright, well quickly make your choice. There's only 4 minutes left." said Noah's mom, as she made hers. A white halo enveloped her, and she disappeared a few seconds later.

Noah had no intention to go against his mother's wishes, so his hand reached forward to press the first option.

His eyes widened in horror as he realized there was another hand that had somehow materialized out of thin air, headed in the direction of the second option. There was supposed to be no one in the house except him, kylie and his mom, so who the hell did this hand belong to!? He had no time to consider that question as he exerted more force into his hand, hoping to press the first option faster.

To his horror, the muscular, well- defined and slightly translucent hand got there first and a white halo enveloped him.

"Sorry, kid" was the last thing he heard whispered in his ear before he got whisked away into the void.

5