Chapter 5- Do you really want to know?
46 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The statement 'the strongest challenger.... no longer exists' echoed in Noah's mind, and he stared at the man with visible shock in his eyes. The implication within those words was as clear as day, in the previous timeline not only had this man climbed the tower, but was the most competent one among all the contenders. Noah wasn't sure if the man was actually dead as if his words were to be trusted, he was an actual demi-god. But if there was one thing he would bet on, is that something disastrous must have happened to reduce him to this state. After all, time travel stories were never set in utopian realities.

"Is time travel really possible? How does it work? Do alternate dimensions exist?" Noah ended up asking the one question that was least relevant to his current situation, but he couldn't help it. His curiosity had gotten the better of him, it would be a criminal disservice to the scientific community if he didn't ask the only time traveler in human history for the specifics.

"Huh? That's the question you end up asking? You're entertaining, lad!" The Eternal Lion slapped his thigh and burst out in uproarious laughter.

"....." Noah just stared at The Eternal Lion awkwardly.

"Well kid, you sure are an oddball aren't ya. I thought the first thing you'd ask me was how to get the hell out of here, back into your nan's embrace. Color me impressed." explained the silver-haired man, in a tone that was more praising than mocking.

Noah was about to sharply retort but held his tongue when the man gave an indication he had more to say.

"Time travel really is possible, yes. As for how it works, are you sure you really want to know?" the silver-haired man asked Noah, in an uncharacteristically serious tone.

Noah had a bad feeling when The Eternal Lion asked him that question, something about his tone gave him an ominous feeling. Could it be that this world was just a simulation of some kind, or the act of traveling back in time had terrifying repercussions?

"Well my dear American friend, I haven't got the slightest idea. I just pressed a button." said the Eternal Lion, and shrugged. "Being a demi-god doesn't magically change my personality, I'm still a chipper bloke that likes chicken tikka masala as much as the next guy down the block," he explained, his tone wavering as he tried not to break into a laugh.

Noah finally couldn't take anymore and retorted " You should change your name to The Eternal Jackass, it's suits you more." in a frustrated tone bordering resignation. If this fraud god was going to smite him down for a little insult, then he would be doomed down the line anyway.

"Well Noah, I won't deny that it suits me quite well. You see, they don't want to admit it, but anyone who's gotten to the higher-ranked floors has definitely lost a few marbles along the way. We're all insane, but each of us has a reason that keeps us going. Or well, most of us." The Eternal Lion replied calmly, not having taken any offense at Noah's remarks.

"Anyway, I digress. Let me start with why I'm here. I'll give you the short version for now. I challenged the 99th floor and failed miserably. Most of my companions were brutally murdered in front of my eyes, and the only reason I survived was because 'that' existence wanted me to watch helplessly as he slowly killed them one by one." The Eternal Lion blankly stated, as if he were telling the story of someone completely unrelated to him.

Noah heard the man's words but he seemed to lose his comprehension ability. The content of the words and the tone they were spoken in had such a disparity, that he couldn't do anything but stare at the man in confusion. A few seconds later, when it finally sunk in, he stared at The Eternal Lion with a look filled with pity and shock.

"Don't look at me like that kid. I'm a demi-god, remember? Don't need the sympathy of puny mortals like you, just try and look after yourself for now. Well anyway, I had completed a hidden piece on the 98th floor that gave me this strange ability to go back in time. I can't tell you how it works, but I can tell you the price I had to pay. The only one from Earth who is aware that I ever existed is you, Noah Smith. All records of my existence, be it in the past, present, or future has been erased. So technically, I was never born in this world." the man finished narrating his life story, dipping his hands into the potato chips a couple more times in between.

"......" Noah had been rendered utterly speechless. The man wasn't exaggerating when he'd mentioned having a few screws loose. The fact that he'd said all that while maintaining a straight face only made Noah trust him more. He felt horrible for the man, but he doubted anything he said could cheer him up.

"W-Why did you do that to yourself? And why choose me? I'm sure anyone with a military background would be a far better option...." Noah asked in puzzlement, though he was still rattled from the demi-god's revelations.

"Do you want me to be frank with you, or sugar coat it?" The Eternal Lion asked as he waved his hand and a box of pizza materialized out of thin air.

"The truth please," Noah replied, trying not to be irked by the demi-god's actions.

"Well, I'm sure you've already guessed it, but I didn't pick you. In fact, you are the second-worst possible outcome. That ranks you above sociopaths and degenerates, mind you, so it's still pretty good. If you were the latter, I would've told you that I knew the location of a mythical treasure and sent you to the Goblin Lord's Den, after all. " he answered with a chortle.

Noah felt cold sweat roll down his forehead.

"You're giving me that look again, kid. Anyway, I was watching your fight with the goblin skirmishers. You've got a terrible form, panic too easily, and got a case of tunnel vision. But, when push came to shove, you didn't flinch when it came to landing the finishing blow. Now that is something I can work with, mate. Guess humanity isn't destined for extinction just yet." The Eternal Lion gave Noah a thumbs up and a beaming smile as if he had just successfully delivered a sales pitch.

 

4