Chapter 11- The Safer
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you asked Jake Lane about what path he wanted to take in the future a few years ago, the answer you would get would undoubtedly be 'the correct one'.

Jake was glad to have responsible parents who painstakingly ensured that the correct values were instilled in him from the very beginning. It was a painstaking thing, to watch his peers succumb to the temptation of the many vices that plagued mankind, though he knew that if he tried to offer his advice he would only be subject to ridicule. After all, he had already tried.

While he couldn't save the world, it wasn't his responsibility either. He quickly disassociated himself from friends that indulged in such activities, as he feared they would try to bring him into the fold as well. The price of that was spending the majority of his high school and college years pretty alone, but that was still better than the alternatives.

Much to his chagrin, Jake wasn't particularly gifted in the field of academics. Nor was he terrible at memorizing facts or doing mathematics, just..... painfully average. Thus the time that would've been otherwise wasted in activities such as socializing or hobbies translated into extra studying time. It was only logical, excelling in academics was the only way to guarantee a secure source of income and please his parents at the same time.

He couldn't understand some of his classmates, who had ambitions to become professional athletes, music stars, or Hollywood actors. He almost had an urge to reprimand these people and drive some sense into their thick skulls. Instead of wasting time on these frivolous pursuits, they should start working on improving their grades and aim to get into their college of choice. What were even the odds of successfully managing to become a popular singer or actor? Out of the tens of thousands of naive fools that applied, only a single one would reach any level of stardom. Why take such a preposterous risk and gamble your future on such foolishness?

Jake simply couldn't comprehend such a scenario, despite his repeated attempts to try and make sense of the situation.

And as time had passed, Jake's predictions had turned out to be correct. Though he wasn't really in contact with any of his classmates, in an age where social media existed it really wasn't much of a problem. Almost all of them had ended up with regular jobs, their dreams shattered along with the cruel passage of time. If they had a pragmatic mindset from the beginning, maybe they would have had better career prospects today.

Instead of having a smug grin plastered on his face though, his face had a dull expression, while his lifeless eyes stared at his prized wine collection that had a pretty penny to acquire.

From an outsider's perspective, Jake had made it in life. His record? Spotlessly clean. His salary? More than enough to live a very comfortable life at only age 27. Outstanding debt? None.

Jake screamed in frustration and anger as he walked to the side of the wine cabinet. Having completely lost control, he pushed it with all his strength, and a loud crash along with the sound of broken china echoed throughout the main dining room of his three-bedroom apartment.

Only realizing what he did a few seconds later, he sighed more out of irritation than shock or panic. His neighbors were definitely going to call the police after hearing that, and it would be a pain to explain this mess.

Oh well, at least he had a few minutes of silence before they showed up knocking at his door.

He had come back after work to a neatly written note in cursive handwriting, one that could only be authored by his wife.

Dear Jake,

This is not an easy decision for me to make, but I have decided to take Nicholas along with me to my parent's house. Though I saw a few warning signs before, my mother and sister had convinced me that I was just thinking too much and trying to sabotage my own future.

I fell in love with you for a reason. You are perfect. Hard-working, loyal, competent, and talented, one could ask for no more in a husband. Too perfect, to a point where I can no longer stand it. I'm sorry Jake, but I'm just a normal person, and I can't keep up with you and your demands any longer. My son is not you, Jake. He will be his own man.

Opal

"Haha....hahahaha....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" Jake maniacally laughed as he sat on top of the toppled wine cabinet as if someone had cracked the funniest joke in the world.

"Too perfect? HAHAHAHAHAHA" he continued laughing, as hot tears streamed down his face.

Was this karma? Had fate finally completed a full cycle and come back to bare his fangs at him. He had mocked people who chased their dreams for being naive, but now he understood that the one who was a joke was him all along.

What was he even doing all this while? Jake felt himself waking up from a trance, as instances of his past flashed by him. He realized that he had very few memories from his high school or college days that he could actually recall. Because he had spent all that time locked in his dorm room studying, while others were having the time of their lives pursuing their passions or making friends that would last them a lifetime.

All that... for what?

Money? He had wine worth a few thousand grand smashed on the floor, was that the 'thing' he had wasted his entire life to secure? Was this the 'correct path' he prided himself on so rigorously following?

He had been brainwashed this entire time, by people who wanted him to accomplish what they could not. Yet it had taken him 27 long years and his wife divorcing him to come to terms with that simple fact. His entire life up until this point had been spent trying to accomplish someone else's goals, and the wave of nausea that came along with that realization almost made him want to throw up.

A blue screen popped up out of nowhere, completely blocking his field of view and snapping him out from the comfort of his thoughts.

The Tower of the Primordial One, has yet again awakened from its slumber. Rejoice, Mortals! Break free from the shackles of mortality, and take your first steps on the road to true divinity. Or simply watch from the sidelines and leave the fate of your race upon your fellow brethren, pursuing the alternate paths to power.

Jake Lane, the tower presents you with a choice!

- Teleportation to the Paradise of Aeons, Floor 1 of the Main Tower. This is a [Safe Area], combat is forbidden on this floor. Restricted access to Floor 2 until the tutorial phase is completed.

- Teleportation to the Tower of Glory, Floor 1-10(?). This is a [Trial Area], combat is enabled between the denizens of the tower and fellow challengers. A tutorial phase accessible to those who dare to seize the opportunity. Access to unique rewards and paths to power that are not accessible in the main tower.

If you do not select an option in 4M 59 seconds, it will be taken as consent to participate in the Tower of Glory.

 

Jake had gotten some news notifications on his smartphone about magical towers popping up on Earth, suspected to be from an alien civilization. He had just dismissed it as gibberish, much like the mysterious glass pyramids they had found a few weeks ago. But the blue screen in front of him was verifiable proof that this was no damn hoax.

Jake felt something snap inside the very depths of his heart. Something that used to be important to him, had been completely severed from his being. If he were to make a guess, then he was pretty sure he'd just gone insane.

Instead of feeling irrational impulses or violent tendencies, he just felt completely at peace with himself. It felt like nothing more could surprise him, and no matter what happened next he could simply take it in stride. He felt as if the limiters placed by his own subconsciousness were released, and now he was operating at 100 percent capacity.

Calm, rational, and cold to the point of apathy would be an apt description of his mindset as he selected the Tower of Glory.

 

1