Chapter 15 – Can you be the one I trust?
67 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

WT 15 - Can you be the one I trust?

 

After passing the gifts they brought to some servants, Wan Ting and Bao Hai followed Sir Liu Bing around the wide manor. Wan Ting did not dare to look around, behaving like a proper guest. 

 

Sir Liu Bing stopped before a door and announced, "Teacher, I have arrived with Miss Wan."

 

The reply was immediate. "Enter."

 

Sir Liu Bing pushed open the door and motioned for Wan Ting to enter first. 

 

Although Wan Ting had not done any wrongdoings, she was still nervous about meeting Prince Heng, especially since she was aware of how she felt towards him. However, etiquette lessons helped her to portray a calm appearance and she stepped into the room without making any slip-ups. 

 

"Greetings, Prince Heng."

 

Prince Heng truly gave her respect by standing up to receive her. "It's good that you are doing well, Miss Wan."

 

Fortunately, the white powder did well in hiding most of her dark eye bags from view. She could have taken a pill related to beautifying, but none of them works as well as the white powder to produce an immediate effect to hide the eye bags. However, she could not hide her red eyes and she left them that way. To look completely normal after the event last night would be suspicious and unable to gather sympathy.

 

"I apologize for unable to greet you yesterday. My visit today is related to yesterday's event, hoping to answer any question that will help the magistrate with the investigation."

 

"Your safety and comfort are the most important. It does not matter if you take some time to rest. However, the magistrate will be thankful for your cooperation." 

 

Wan Ting's heart lifted slightly from Prince Heng's considerate words. Even if it was spoken out of consideration as a basic courtesy, it still warms her heart. 

 

"I will invite the magistrate officials and painter over," Liu Bing suggested, which was approved.

 

Before Sir Liu Bing left, Wan Ting spoke up. "Prince Heng, can I speak to you first before the magistrate officials?"

 

A sword-shaped eyebrow lifted upward at her request. Could it be there were sensitive issues that the magistrate better not knew related to the attack last evening?

 

Regardless, Prince Heng agreed. "Invite them over. If they arrive early, entertain them until we are done."

 

Liu Bing nodded and left, a little curious over what Miss Wan wanted to say to his teacher. 

 

"Please, have a seat." Prince Heng invited the guests over to the round table. There were already some light, dry pastries prepared with the comforting scent of hot tea to moisten their dry throat from their journey. 

 

Prince Heng eyed the boy following Wan Ting's every move like a little chick. Knowing that Miss Wan was adjusting her state before speaking, he spoke to the child. "Have you decided what to do?"

 

Yesterday, he had spoken to Bao Hai, who revealed that he was an orphan without any relatives to offer him shelter. Heng Zhen Gan had offered him a safe place with the magistrate until the case closed and after the danger had passed, to occupy a position in his manor, but the young child disagreed.

 

Heng Zhen Gan knew the child would need time to calm down and think deeper about his future. He asked the question just to probe his thoughts. 

 

"I will stay with big sister," Bao Hai said with a sticky voice and his hand grabbed onto Wan Ting's sleeves with dependency.

 

Getting the meaning behind the child's gesture, Wan Ting finally speaks of the true purpose of her visitation to pull the conversation back to her. "I have a maidservant, Chu Jin. She died last night, from my sword."

 

Prince Heng silently stared at her, his gaze without judgment, and patiently waited for her to continue.

 

With a nervous gulp, she clasped her sweating palms hidden under her sleeves, but her voice was steady. "She is working with the kidnapper, aiming for me. Her attacks are intended to kill me."

 

"And you kill her in defense."

 

Although his words were a statement and not helping any sides, Wan Ting could feel that he did not condemn her actions. Her heart felt sweet and sour, truly hard to describe. But she knew she felt happy to be trusted.

 

Retaliation does not always act in self-defense, even if the situation looks like it.  

 

Heng Zhen Gan was surprised to see the stark fear that quickly turned relief in her eyes from his words. Did the act of killing in defense frighten her that much? Did she think she would be thrown into prison? 

 

"The magistrate will be fair and will not wrong you." With him keeping an eye on them, the magistrate will not dare to do things carelessly.

 

Wan Ting bit down the urge to ask if he really did not think she was in the wrong. She should have only cared about what was right and wrong, not his opinion. But her heart had already started to lead her astray. 

 

This was truly her first experience, for it was the first time she had interacted with the one she loves this civilly and friendly. Her interaction with Long Shan was only one-sided, as he either ignored her or coldly told her to go away. 

 

"Thank you." Her words were filled with endless gratitude. 

 

The trust and reliance in her gaze touched Prince Heng. It does not feel bad to be a good elder to this sincere young girl.

 

"This is your first kill and would disturb your mind and emotion greatly. There might be nightmares that will affect your health in the long run. It’s advisable if you speak of this to the one you trust and seek some emotional guidance to past this hurdle."

 

Wan Ting wanted to say, 'Can you be the one I trust?'

 

Fortunately, she managed to hold on to her urge and nodded as if she would consider his words.

 

Wan Ting took out the book from her pouch and did not hesitate to offer it to Prince Heng. "I found this book well hidden from Chu Jin's room."

 

The expression on Prince Heng did not change when he saw the book that was without a title. But when he flipped the pages, reading on with an unchanging expression, she could feel that the calm air from him disappeared. 

 

The book was not thicker than a household account book, but the content was rather heavy to digest. But Prince Heng had taken less time to read the book than Wan Ting, only needing the time to finish a teapot. 

 

Such a trait could only be seen in a true and dedicated scholar. 

 

With a serious expression that told how severe the situation was, Prince Heng asked, "Other than us, did you tell anyone about this book?"

 

Wan Ting immediately shook her head. "No."

 

Placing the book down on the table, Prince Heng tapped his finger on the table. "This book must not fall onto anyone's hands." The content of this book was not important, but it would be for those that have uses for Flame Spirit, and also for Wan Ting that had Flame Spirit in her.

 

Even if the vessel of the Flame Spirit was different when it comes to Miss Wan, there might be some people that would try to use those methods on her to test if it worked or not. Those methods would not kill her, but it will still greatly harm her. 

 

Wan Ting quickly nodded. “I know. I only plan to let you know about it.”

 

Once again, Heng Zhen Gan saw the trust in the younger girl’s eyes and he felt a little uncomfortable. He told himself he was thinking too much and concentrated on the important matter. “From your words, that deceased maid is working with that kidnapper?”

 

“Yes, that’s what I assume… but he seemed to be irritated that she did not act according to his plan. Their original plan seems to be intending to kidnap me alive.”

 

If that man had not prepared to stop Chu Jin, momentarily ignoring Wan Ting, she would not have the chance to kill Chu Jin.

 

Prince Heng looked somber as he concluded. “She must have wanted to kill you and get the Flame Spirit from you with her own method, while that man possibly wants to control you directly to do their bidding.”

 

??? 

 

The man that attacked Wan Ting, and also Bao Hai's kidnapper, bowed before a door at the end of the dark corridor that was only lit by a single red candle. "Sect leader, this disciple, Shiyi, have found a Flame Spirit."

 

After a long moment of silence, the door slides open, inviting him in.

 

Shiyi stepped in silently and bowed before the dark figure hidden behind a thin screen. "Sect Master."

 

The one behind a thin screen stopped what he was doing, turning his head to his disciple. "Where is it?"

 

"In the Guilin Kingdom, mixed with a girl's soul."

 

"You did not take it?"

 

"Forgive me. Outsiders had interrupted my chance to obtain it. But this disciple had tested her. She doesn't know how to use the Flame Spirit." That was why he, whose cultivation was much higher than her, allowed her to escape for now.

 

Knowing that the girl does not know how to use Flame Spirit, it was good news as it meant the Flame Spirit had not matured yet. They have the chance to control the Flame Spirit through that woman.

 

"And that living pill?" 

 

The man tensed, before bowing his head even lower. "This disciple is careless and let it escape. I swear to bring both of them back."

 

 

2