Chapter 4 – House of Knights Case File: Kirby Cortez
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had just been a few hours since the Diolay base was demolished by Gabriel. Solomon was in the ruins as paramedics tended to survivors. What corpses could be found were being gathered.

A general said, "What a nightmare. We never would've had a chance even if we prepared."

Solomon asked, "Is there anything useful you can tell me?"

The general had only one response, "No."

One soldier was helped along by a paramedic and said, "General, there was a second Eon Viant. A bigger one. He gave the small one a name: Kirby Cortez."

Elsewhere, in the ruins, Solomon found Jyn watching soldiers discover the remains of their brothers-in-arms, something she understood too well. He said, "I have a name. Let's get back to the jet."

Jyn just stood there. Solomon could only presume something was on her mind. He said, "Is everything ok?"

Jyn pondered for a moment before answering. "Yes, sir."

Solomon believed she was still affected by the deaths of Mackey and Bree. So was he.

Things were simpler when Solomon was an operative. He just followed orders. It wasn't too long ago when Fallene and Springer insisted that operatives were cogs, easily replaceable. Whether they were burned out from their duty or insubordinate because they were having a bad day, they could be replaced. "Everyone would kill for a chance to work for the House of Knights," he was told. He vowed to never see human lives as numbers, or commodities. Lives were precious. If he wasn't careful, the Eon Viant assignment could put him on the path to breaking his vow.

 

*****E V*****

 

The Impulse soared through the clouds, enduring turbulence. Solomon's team had a couple of new recruits: Odom and Asha. He informed them of Gabriel's new target.

Jyn said, "Do you really think you can convince Cortez to accept our help?"

Solomon responded, "He doesn't have a choice especially now that there are two Eon Viants."

Just earlier that week Mackey had piloted the Impulse. Now, it was Odom, a man in his mid 30s, wearied by life, and he had a southern drawl.

Odom said, "I got experience with wealthy idiots. I'm bettin' $20 Cortez won't even listen."

Solomon responded, "If I still gambled, I'd take you up on that bet."

It was a well-kept secret that Kirby's penthouse was built at the top of the world's largest commerce center. There wasn't anything else in the area except for his personal runaway, which only the Impulse was permitted to use. One of his cheery servants, a child, was there to greet the House of Knights.

A neatly-trimmed garden was right outside of the commerce center. The images of his ancestors were immortalized as golden statues. Kirby waited at the top of the balcony.

Kirby said, "Welcome, everyone!" He shared a firm handshake with Solomon.

Solomon responded, "Likewise. My apologies for coming by on short notice."

Kirby responded, "Nonsense. It's an honor getting a visit from the House of Knights."

Traveling by monorail, the world's fourth quadrillionaire gave the House of Knights a tour of his commerce center. There was a mall, various stores and concert halls for his karaoke nights; Cortez was reaping the rewards of an arms manufacturer.

Jyn said, "Asha, look, he's got all types of restaurants."

Asha was 15 years old, rarely excited, and didn't take her eyes off her handheld game console. Still, even the pop music video didn't wow her. "Goodie," she said as depressingly as possible.

Kirby rarely failed to impress someone. Usually, they were overwhelmed within seconds of stepping foot in his fortress. He said, "I have a variety of restaurants, from the most exquisite Mediterranean to your basic cholesterol-exploding fast food. If that's not your fancy, you should know people from all over the world come here to buy exclusive shoes made by the best designers. Perhaps you'd be interested in picking up a free pair."

Asha said, without the slightest bit of interest, "Gross."

Odom said, "What's wrong with you, girl? You never turn away free." He wouldn't waste an opportunity. "Mr. Cortez, sir, I accept your gracious offer. Size 12, please."

Kirby said, "I have a wonderful idea. While Principal Winter and I discuss business matters, why don't you all explore, take in everything? As long as Principal Winter agrees."

Solomon said, "That's fine."

Kirby said, snapping his fingers, "Excellent." On command, his servants continued the tour with the operatives.

 

*****E V*****

 

Every dining hall, every room and corridor seemed to get bigger the closer Kirby got to his suite.

Kirby's suite was a palace in itself. The kitchen was as big as a stadium. His office was just as large. The conference table seemed to stretch forever. At one end was Solomon who had accepted a cup of coffee.

Kirby asked, "How long have you been with the House of Knights?"

Solomon replied, "Some years."

Kirby's interest only intensified. "And you used to be a soldier, right? Why'd you retire?"

Solomon redirected, "Mr. Cortez, I'm here because your life is in danger."

Kirby wasn't fazed. He had been used to threats. "You don't like to get personal, do you?"

Solomon wasn't vulnerable with many people except one.

Solomon asked, "Did you hear what I said? It's imperative that we get you to safety. It's only a matter of time before the Eon Viant finds you."

Kirby said, "I'd like to tell you the story of my great, great grandfather, General Augustus Cooper. His enemies once foolishly showed up to his property, guns blazing. General Cooper was outnumbered, but he didn't run. He put those fools six feet under where they belonged."

There was a portrait on the wall. Beautiful distorted colors came together to form Augustus Cooper, an extremely large man--perhaps unreasonably so--in his 50s standing on a mound of bodies, proudly carrying his flag. Kirby described the portrait as showing a "brave, honorable patriot chosen for greatness."

Kirby said, "I am like General Cooper in every way, and I have no intention of running from some child. I'm hosting an auction for some friends here tonight. Join us, and I promise your organization will get sick of our generous donations."

 

*****E V*****

 

The mall was 15 stories tall, had 2,000 shops, over 100 eateries, a few roller coasters, even a college. The food court was an assortment of smells, from Mediterranean to fried chicken and pizza, all flown in from around the world.

The House of Knights had lunch at a table. It was if someone shrunk the fajitas and Cobb salads to fit in the palm of a hand.

Jyn asked, "How's your fajita?"

Asha said, "Cold." She continued chewing.

Odom, however, had plenty to say. "I spent $30 on this plate, and they give me enough food to feed a baby rabbit."

Asha said, "You didn't spend anything. Jyn did."

Odom replied, "Go back to your videos."

Jyn offered, "Here. I can split mine. I'm not going to eat the whole thing."

Odom said, "You already bit off it. I don't even eat food off my wife's plate."

Jyn responded, "You're married? That's...surprising."

Odom finished with, "She's a very lucky woman."

Solomon had managed to get through the stream of shoppers to join his team. He updated them with the news. "Seems we'll be attending an auction tonight."

Asha said, "That might not be all." As usual, her eyes were glued to her console. But this time, it wasn't a music video, it was a video stream of Kirby in the middle of making statement: "...That coward assaulted the brave men and women who fight for our great country. I won't put up with this any longer. I'm sharing my location of where I'll be tonight, Eon Viant. If you have any brains, you'll stay away. But, if you're bold enough to die, I'll be waiting."

 

*****E V*****

 

Onlookers moved aside as Solomon hurried for the elevator, his walking cane rapidly moving back and forth. Remained at his side was Jyn who pressed the elevator button for him.

Once the elevator doors opened, Jyn allowed Solomon in, but turned around to would-be passengers. "I'm sorry, you'll need to take the next one."

As a peaceful piano melody played over the speaker, Solomon's thoughts were chaotic. What does that fool think he's doing? he thought. A lot of people are going to die!

Jyn asked, "If he doesn't listen to you this time, want my sword?"

He was tempted to take her up on the offer.

Kirby's office was occupied by a camera crew. Kirby sat at the desk, surrounded by cameras that filmed him from various angles. He was pleased with his speech. Solomon, however, had no intention of holding back his wrath.

Solomon asked, "What was that stupidity back there?!"

The crew was frozen. No one had ever questioned Kirby before. Boiling beneath his caring façade was anger.

Kirby said, "Everyone, out, please."

The crew left their equipment as if there was a fire. Kirby grabbed a cup of coffee. Drinking coffee late was the norm, if he wanted to work on projects deep into the night.

Kirby said, "I won't tolerate that kind of disrespect, Principal Winter. This is my sanctuary. I don't barge into yours, insulting you, so show me that same courtesy."

Solomon responded, "Why would you lure the Eon Viant here?"

Kirby said, "You've had challenges tracking him. You're welcome."

Solomon replied, "I strongly recommend calling off your auction."

Kirby ended the conversation, "Absolutely not. If you do your job correctly, there will be nothing to worry about. And my friends and I will be forever indebted to your illustrious organization."

Solomon didn't understand how someone could embrace insanity. Or perhaps Kirby had become so bored with life that he found excitement from endangering it. Whatever the reason, Solomon was bested.

Solomon said, "I read up on General Cooper. His home was never attacked. When his neighbor refused to give up property, Cooper had him executed. According to the official report, he was relieved of duty shortly thereafter."

Kirby simply said, "Lies."

There were things "people below" Kirby didn't understand. He could have anything he wanted. People constantly waited to do his bidding. Rich people freely gave him expensive things just because of who he was. The world was his...and it was boring. An Eon Viant trying to take his life, and endangering other lives in the process, provided a much needed thrill.

 

*****E V*****

 

While Asha was kicked back in the co-pilot seat, Solomon was trying to reach the other Chief Principals by radio. It was almost an hour, and he couldn't get through.

Solomon said, "Asha, patch me into the council chamber's phone line."

Asha said, "I'll need a computer and a few minutes."

Asha's love for tech was second to her love for a good fight. She was a composer and the computer was her orchestra. It was unbelievable how someone could type so quickly.

Asha entered the final keystrokes. The speaker picked up a bunch of chatter on the other end. Principal Fallene's angry voice shouted, "I said we didn't want to be disturbed!"

Solomon asked, "That's a shame."

Fallene's tone had shifted, his hostility diminished. "Principal Winter! We weren't expecting you."

Asha excused herself. It wasn't just that policy prohibited operatives from eavesdropping on a meeting between principals, she didn't want to subject herself to boredom.

Solomon said, "I'm sure you're aware of Mr. Cortez's recent announcement. He is brazenly endangering citizens by refusing to cancel tonight's auction."

Fallene asked, "Who are these citizens?"

Solomon knew Fallene long enough to know he despised the poor. If Fallene knew that elites were in danger, the principals could be convinced to forcefully persuade Cortez or at least provide assistance with evacuating the citizens.

Solomon said, "High-level executives and the like."

Fallene said, "Principal Winter, this is an incredible opportunity. When your team executes the Eon Viant and saves all of those accounts, the House of Knights will be established as a powerhouse. We'll be drowning in funds."

"Accounts" was the term the other Chief Principals labeled citizens with wealth. As much as Solomon wanted to say that this wasn't the time for agendas, he knew Fallene wouldn't listen. Insanity spread like a disease.

Solomon said, "We think there may even be two Eon Viants. I'm formally requesting backup."

Fallene quickly denied him. "We're spread too thin. You'll have to do the best you can with what you got."

Solomon asked, "And should team members die because they didn't receive the appropriate resources? I supposed I should have replacements already in mind."

Fallene concluded, "Challenges are just opportunities for leaders to get creative. Crawford, Cortez, they are the most powerful accounts we have. You need to ensure your team succeeds this time."

 

*****E V*****

 

Anyone who couldn't buy a yacht at least once a month had been escorted from the mall. Outside, however, a bunch of theater-size screens had been set up to stream the auction. Many influential figures--celebrities and politicians--as well as teachers, police officers, and the like who suckled from their trust funds were in attendance. They all wore suits and dresses made of the finest materials and adorned with silk, gold, ivory.

Connected by radio, the House of Knights got into their positions.

Hidden away in a pasture on the hills was Odom. The sniper rifle's shoulder stock was pressed firmly against him. As the sun beamed, a bead of sweat rolled down the side of his face. From his position, he could spot an intruder a mile away. If Gabriel did take Cortez's bait, then Odom could intercept him long before reaching the mall. Through the sniper riflescope, however, Odom was busy judging the buyers at the auction.

Odom said, "You'd think people with so much money would have better fashion sense. Oh, look. Asha! There's a boy, looks about your age. Tall, you like that, right?"

Asha said, "I'm on the job, Odom." She was in the Impulse, monitoring the scanners. It was theorized that Eon Viants bypassed scanners. If Gabriel slipped past, Odom would be the next line of defense, and they could at least confirm the theory.

Odom responded, "If you ain't got time for anything else, the train called life will pass you by. Little advice from my grandmother before she went skydiving for the first and last time. Forgot her parachute, and the fertilizer didn't stop her fall. Rest her poor soul."

Jyn interrupted, "Leave Asha alone."

Odom complained, "At least, we should get to the bottom of her problem, no? Nobody in their right mind hates free, so what, you hate shoe stores or something?"

Jyn agreed, "Ok, that I'm a little curious about myself."

Asha said, "I just don't like feet, okay? They're weird-looking and nasty."

Odom said, "There. Don't you feel better?"

Even annoyed, Asha couldn't sound more dispassionate. "Hate you both."

Meanwhile, Jyn roamed outside of the mall with the commoners. Some of them were from the Grids. It wasn't just their dirt-stained clothes, they smelled of gasoline and dumpster diving. Every time one of the buyers was showcased on screen, the Grid commoners looked up with glee and hope.

Jyn couldn't get far, though. A battalion of enforcers had barricaded the mall. They would ward off anyone who opposed the auction. One unfortunate soul was caught recording his discontent. The enforcers stole his phone before pinning him down and breaking his femur.

Out of his team, only Solomon stayed inside the mall. He needed to have one final talk with Cortez. How a man could willingly endanger hundreds, Solomon just couldn't understand.

After the collapse of the old world order rose an opportunity for a new one with a new economy and new standards. There, in the mall corridor, buyers were bidding on young, attractive Grid commoners. As the fast-talking auctioneer said, the highest bidder was given the right to "adopt" the commoner, give them an opportunity to live in an environment where rats didn't live underneath pillows. It was expected that the commoner would tend to any of their needs.

A 12-year-old girl was taken away from her baby. The cries had reached Solomon standing alone on the floor above. He wished he could stop the auction by force, but the House of Knights weren't formed to change the world, not that they could, they were formed to survive it.

Odom yelled into the radio, "He's here!"

 

*****E V*****

 

The theory was confirmed. Gabriel had already breached the perimeter, and Odom didn't waste anytime. Odom was one of the most accurate marksmen in the House of Knights, but even accuracy didn't matter when the target could pull weapons out of the ground to shield himself.

Gabriel was on the approach. A mini train at full steam.

The enforcers were scrambling. They abandoned intruders who were writhing in pain. Jyn managed to stop one. A blotch of the protestor's blood was on his chin.

Jyn said, "The rest of us need to hold off the Eon Viant until the mall is cleared out."

The enforcer responded, "We have our orders to pull back. This is your fight."

Jyn knew a team of three, no matter how well-trained, was in over their head. They had to make the best of their situation.

With supernatural agility, Gabriel leapt over her, crashing into the mall's second story.

Jyn heard Asha's voice in her ear: "I'm on my way."

Jyn said, "Negative! The priority is evacuation. We don't want to be in the same building with an Eon Viant."

This was the best way she could keep Asha safe. Jyn had never lost two teammates before, and much less in a horrible fashion. She couldn't have another death on her conscience.

Gabriel's rampage rumbled the building. Debris crushed anyone who hid or tried to escape. The further he ascended, the less armed resistance got in his way. Kirby's voice was on the intercom, taunting Gabriel. With a sword and mace created from the marble railings, Gabriel marched up the staircase that led to Kirby's floor. Waiting for him at the top was Jyn.

Gabriel wildly swung his mace. In a split second, Jyn resisted the urge to block and instead evaded. Her hair got caught up in a current of wind.

Jyn was too quick and nimble to lay a hand on. There wasn't a single flaw in her form. She was going up against a bomb and didn't back down.

But, it was becoming a losing battle. She found the right openings to strike, and if she were facing a normal human, she would have already incapacitated Gabriel. His thick skin merely warded off the blows.

Asha's voice harassed Jyn's ear once more. "I'm on my way."

Jyn wanted to decline help out of fear of endangering Asha, but she was in need. She was too deep inside the building for Odom's long distance assists. All she could do was continue avoiding the attacks that had megaton force behind them.

At the end of the hallway, the elevator dinged, and the door opened. Asha wasted no time in hurrying out. She removed her sword from the scabbard as she blitzed down the hallway.

She may not have been the perfect warrior like Jyn, but she was faster. The more she fought, the more she came alive. Laughter followed after her every strike.

The two operatives worked in sync, like a perfect dance. When one parried, the other attacked. Acting as a decoy, Asha distracted Gabriel long enough for Jyn to actually cut Gabriel. She was in disbelief as much as the Eon Viant.

Together, they operatives drove him back, looking for any area that wasn't covered with armor. Gabriel became desperate. This was a first for him. He had never encountered enemies quite like them. He had never been pushed far except by Oliath.

Gabriel launched his mace like a rocket. Although Jyn held up her swords to block the stone projectile, she found herself flying backwards and crashing through the elevator doors.

Asha excited at the chance to face Gabriel alone. Her flashiness only increased with acrobatics and no-look slashes. Agitated, Gabriel shattered her sword into thousands of pieces.

That joy turned to shock.

Gabriel tossed Asha into the wall so hard that the hallway leading to Kirby's office had shook, throwing Solomon off his feet. The radio with his team was dead. He worried that they suffered the same fate.

 

*****E V*****

 

Kirby's office was surprisingly occupied with more than just Kirby. A few workers stood nearby. They were silent; panic in their eyes spoke for them. Kirby sat comfortably in his office chair, smoking a cigar.

Kirby said, "I wish you could see it, Principal Winter. This battle is wonderful!"

Surveillance cameras had caught the action from the moment Gabriel broke in. Kirby watched as debris crushed his fleeing millionaire guests, and his heart blocked out an ounce of care. Maybe if they were billionaires, he might've cared.

Solomon said, "You've all got to get out now!"

Kirby wasn't going to refresh his memory. Like General Cooper, Kirby ran from no man. Even when the entire wall came falling down.

Gabriel stepped over the piles of plaster and scrapes of metal. Solomon was all that stood between him and his prey.

Seething with anger, Gabriel said, "Kirby Cortez."

Kirby responded, "Glad we could officially meet."

Kirby snapped his fingers, and his workers formed a barrier around him. "You'll have to kill everyone in this room if you want to get to me. Can you do that, Eon Viant?"

Bystanders dying from falling debris was one thing, but Gabriel never directly attacked bystanders. And Kirby knew it.

Kirby said, "So, it's true." He was fascinated, yet disappointed.

Solomon heard the faint sound of a button being pressed. It sounded like a detonator. There was nothing in Gabriel's hands; his fists were clenched so tightly that blood was drawn. Ticking was all around Solomon. It was a sound he was too familiar with during his time as an operative.

Kirby said, "Goodbye, Eon Viant."

Like something out of a comic book, Kirby's chair disappeared into the floor. Concealed in his hand was, indeed, a detonator.

Solomon yelled, "Get out!"

Wired within the walls were explosives, and when they went off, the room erupted into a violent storm of fire.

Gabriel was flung through the gutted office and fell for what felt like an eternity.

He was so close.

He let her down.

Again.

0