Chapter 3
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POLICE REPORT

Case number: WM449872
Date: 25/11/2006
Reporting officer: Rogan Clarke
Prepared by: Sergeant Gaige Jackson
Details of event: at 12:36am, suspect Phil Hamilton broke into his ex-girlfriends apartment. At 2:47am neighbours reported hearing, what sounded like a domestic violence and a gunshot, calling the police. Officer Rogan Clarke was on patrol and arrived at the scene 10 minutes after dispatch called it in. Upon entering the house, Clarke noted the lack of response when making his presence known. Clarke then began clearing all rooms of the house, the loungeroom having large bloodied stains and destroyed vases. Forensics found fingerprints of the victim, Debra Reese, of the remains of the vases, likely using them as a weapon to delay her attacker.
Clarke entered the bedroom and found the window on the right of the door open and muddied footprints leading from it, but no Debra. Clarke continued until the rest of the house was cleared before moving into the back yard. Clarke found the body of Debra Reese, hungby her hands, with lacerations to the arms and legs, a total of 58 stab wounds, and a fractured femur. The body of suspect, Phil Hamilton, sat in a chair next to Debra with a blown out skull. A pistol was retrieved from the ground next to him and the murder was reported in by a shaken Rogan Clarke.
Actions taken: upon arriving at the scene, medics retrieved the bodies of Debra Reese and Phil Hamilton. Forensics are investigating the scene in spots where the struggle may have happened. Backup cars were called in to retrieve officer Clarke who was mortified.
Summary: results from forensics have found that Phil, broke into the house during a drunken fit and watched Debra sleep for an hour. Morticians citing a high BAC of 0.35%. He attempted to sexually assault her and she fled to the loungeroom and using a vase to fight him off. She eventually used the vase to injure Phil before he grabbed her and threw her down, fracturing her femur. She injured him more, with a kick to the face to which Phil proceeded to stab her. He was found to have a bloodied knife on his person which was used to stab Debra to death. He then dragged her into the backyard and hung her up by her hands and proceeded to slash and stab at her in a fit of rage. Its then assumed that Phil had realised what he done and used a pistol to shoot himself in the head. Officer Rogan Clarke is receiving psychiatric treatment at this stage.

11/05/2009

Gaige walked down the small section of desks, a scent of coffee and the sound of officers speaking on the phones all around her. She put her cup of coffee on her desk and another on the desk of Officer Rogan Clarke. Clarke was a strong willed guy, but sometimes, strong wills aren't enough to get through a day. Clarke flinched at the sight of Gaige's arm beside him.

"Dont worry, I bring rejuvenation in the form of bitter liquid"

She joked. Rogan smiled and sipped greedily at the coffee. Gaige smiled and pat him on the shoulder.

"You still working on that case I assigned you?"
Rogan looked up at her and swallowed.

"Yeah, its a bit mind-numbing but I've got it handled"

"Good, im glad you're doing a lot better"

Rogans smile widened.

"I'm fine. Oh! I seen a few dogs this morning on my walk to the hot dog stand as well. They were so fluffy"

He laughed. Gaige smiled sincerely. Roganbwas a bit of a weird guy but he had a kind heart and a soft spot for animals. Hell, you could ask rogan anything about an animal and he'd write out a 10 page essay's worth of facts. It was one of his better traits and it never failed to get him smiling, something Gaige enjoyed seeing in her subordinate. Ever since the incident three years prior, Gaige had paid special attention to him to make sure he wasn't going off the rails. The murder had snapped something in his mind and a few cases since have been the result of psych visits, tablets and early morning phone calls. The last year or so wasn't as bad though, his outbursts and breakdowns had lessened more and more with each new case and Gaige was beginning to think the man was desensitised to it now. Rogan spoke up.

"Oh yeah, I wanted to talk about something else as well"

Gaige felt like another breakdown was going to happen. The poor guy had been strong for so long, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

"Yeah what's up?"

Gaige's voice fluffy and supportive.

"I was thinking of resigning"

That caught her by surprise. Nowhere near what she thought was going to come from his mouth. She felt herself step back and then stood straight, forcing a smile.

"Oh really?"

Her words trailing off. Rogan smiled sadly and lowered his head, his hands clenched into fists.

"Yeah. I found a job in another government building as a daytime cleaner. I thought it would be good y'know. For... my mental health"
His words trailing off as well. Taking a deep breath Gaige lifted her head up. She considered Rogan a good friend, a lot of which she rarely had on the force. She had barely spoken to other officers as intimately as Rogan, sharing thoughts and feelings. It wasn't anything more than friendship though, it was a deep, platonic, care for his well-being. Gaige had decided that this situation was for the best, if Rogan stayed here, she feared he may harden on the outside and be less willing to share his thoughts and feelings anymore. The animal loving, friendly, Rogan would harden and desensitise to everyone. She didnt want that.

"I think thats a great idea. You gotta take care of yourself and do what you think is best"

Rogan smiled limply. She could tell it was a hard choice for him but they both knew it was for the greater good. Rogan began to talk but got distracted. A criminal that was being escorted by another officer locked eyes with him as he walked past, toward the holding cell. Rogan was dead silent and the contrast of the noise around them seemed so oddly out of place for the moment. Gaige could swear that she heard Rogans heart thumping hard. She reached a hand out and touched Rogans shoulder to which he flinched. She grimaced and Rogan insisted that he was fine while looking away.

The man that was escorted past didnt say a word. He didn't do anything violent or even aggressive like normal criminals do. He simply stared and that was enough to spook Rogan. Gaige looked to the man in the cell and seen that he was staring daggers at Rogan. No line of sight break even made him move. He stood silent and staring. Gaige looked back at Rogan and seen he was sweating. She decided to ask but Rogan answered before the words left her mouth.

"That man has done horrible things"

He whispered. Gaige knelt down to his level and he spoke in a hushed voice.

"I know it sounds insane and I have never told anyone this. Not even my psychologist so please hear me out"

He looked up at the staring man then ducked back down before the divider to an eagerly waiting Gaige. He took a deep breath.

"I can see inside peoples heads"

Gaige narrowed her eyes in confusion. She was in a strange purgatory of belief and disbelief. She knew Rogan long enough to know that the way he was acting was not like the normal Rogan and that he is acting like his 'late night phone call' self. There was something strange about the situation though. Why would he suddenly tell her though?

"Because now, its a problem"

Rogan answered before Gaige even had time to finish her thought. Her eyes widened in shock.

"Why-"

"Its a problem now because that guy is the same as me and he knows it"

Gaige flicked her shocked eyes toward the cell with the man staring, a trickle of blood running slowly from his nose. Gaige frowned and stood up, Rogans eyes chasing after her in confusion. He didn't ask what she was going to do because he already knew. Gaige walked toward the officer who had brought the man in, slowing to lock eyes with the man in the cell, as she made her way over. She stood in front of the officers desk and spoke loudly.

"The man you just brought in. What is he suspected of?"

The officer stammered before spitting out his reply. Flicking through his papers he listed off the suspected crimes.

"Uh... three counts of murder, sexual assault, assault with a blunt weapon, grand theft auto, resisting arrest, unlawful possession of a firearm and property damage"

Gaige looked back at the man then thanked the officer before walking away. She locked eyes with Rogan and gestured for him to follow her. After a moment he hopped up and followed after her into an interrogation room. The sound proofing making it the ideal spot for a discreet conversation. After a quiet moment, Gaige spoke.

"How long?"

"About three years. Ever since-"

"Ever since the murder of Debra Reese?"

She interjected, it was her turn to cut him off. Rogan nodded his head slowly. Gaige sat, crossed her arms and looked at Rogan with a concerned look. She had a million questions but she had to narrow it down to the most important ones.

"Who can you read?"

"Normally? Not very many people. Those with a strong emotion or feeling are the ones I mostly pick up on"

"In what way?"

"Well... take a violent criminal for example. They have an intense urge to hurt something and that desire projects their thoughts. Its sort of like... people with strong emotions, open the floodgates and their thoughts spill out... and I can feel it all. Once I get inside their head, I can go back anytime I want" 

"Why could you sense my thoughts then? I didnt have any particularly strong emotions at the time"

"You were worried about me leaving... I also think that we have a good connection as friends and that makes it easier"

Gaige sat back in the chair rubbing her chin. She's never heard of anything like this. Not as a reality at least. She assumed things like psychics were phonies or just myth, until today that is. She pondered her next move carefully while Rogan sat back trying to relax. She spoke.

"Why do you think this is happening now?"

Rogan locked eyes and stared for a moment before looking around the room and fidgeting.

"I think... when I went to that scene three years ago... something inside me just... I dont know, kicked into gear? Like it was awakened by the trauma. I noticed it first, when I was leaving the crime scene and I could hear the thoughts of the worried neighbours. I thought they were simply talking but when their mouths didn't move thats when I suspected something. At that time I was too traumatised to care so it took me a bit longer to pick up on it"

Gaige let out some air from her nose and sat back arms crossed. He had known but was still figuring things out, that explains some of it, but what about that man? She thought. Her mind becoming fuzzy again. Rogan, obviously reading her thoughts had a look of concern so she relaxed herself and began thinking about puppies to which he smiled, a hint of concern still on his face. Gaige smiled back. She stood up and pushed the chair in. Offering a hand to Rogan who took it hesitantly.

"If you think a change of scenery will help you then im all for it, now more than ever"

Rogan smiled and the two made their way back to their desks. Forms were filled out and approved by higher ups within the next few weeks and Rogan left, resigning as an officer of the law and becoming a humble daytime cleaner. His mind powers never bothering him since the move, even easing off once the criminal he saw was later found guilty and put to death via lethal injection.

27/12/2020

5:00am

Rogan awoke with sweat beading down his head. He had a throbbing headache like nothing he had felt before and he heard agonised screaming all around him. His vision becoming overtaken by crimson tears and pyramids. The thoughts of millions causing him to scream out in pain. Then suddenly, it stopped. Rogan slumped onto his bed, the hands clenching around his head relaxing. Nothing about the dream was relaxing though. In all the years he had these powers, never had he experienced something like this. The thoughts he would hear from people in the street, times a thousand could never amount to this. Even the most deranged psychopath couldn't cause this kind of effect. It was like, suddenly, a whole world had died and the souls of every being screamed out at once to say 'god help us'. 

0