Part 1: The Isles of Origin: Chapter 22: Truth
71 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wake up to an annoying, familiar, fuzzy feeling drawing closer. By the time I crawl out of bed and make sure I'm decent, the mana field is in the kitchen. "Dan. What are you doing in our house again? Didn't Tir complain about that? Also you woke me up. Is it even dawn yet?"

"I'll answer those in reverse order. Yes, but only barely. Yes. And, lastly. I need to investigate your refrigerator. Got low on spiritual energy, so I had to stop catalyzing things. Oh, guess you don't know about that. I got a class from Vestria, dungeon scientist. Which, feels more alchemist-y to me, so far. Guess those could overlap in her view though. Anyway, catalyzation lets me enhance monsters, and some other stuff. Costs all three base energies though. So to fill the time, I'm trying to invent my own magic tools to use as loot, I want to make sure I have a decent understanding of how some, local parallels to items I want to recreate work, and how they look so they'll be reasonably recognizable. Oh also, one of your goats got out and some preppy looking kid who's clearly from earth is, arguing with it? Bout thirty meters north of your house's clearing. Your dad ran off somewhere earlier, so I guess it's up to you and Tir to deal with him."

"Whah? Too early for, whatever nonsense. Fine. I'm gonna get dressed, you wake up Tir." I stalk back to my room, and quickly ditch my nightgown. I pull on a loose pair of pants with a built in sash to fasten it at the waist and a long shirt. Both in a color that Mera called 'sea green'. By the time I'm pulling on my shoes, I can hear Tir grumbling in the next room over.

On my way out, I grab my dark guandao, half convinced that I'm going to use it. When I'm almost to the tree line around our house, Tir comes rushing out after me. I hear the interloper before I see him.

"Come on you dumb walking mutton! This jacket cost three hundred dollars!" The stranger is a young man, maybe ten centimeters taller than me, with broad shoulders and black hair. His red shirt has some kind of bright yellow lettering on it, though the pair of characters don't mean anything to me, his pants are dark blue and look like a thick material. He currently has ahold of one sleeve of a light coat, while the goat has the other held in her mouth. Naturally, she is trying to chew on, whatever weird shiny fabric it's made of.

After a moment of staring, I sigh, stab my guandao entirely through a tree that I barely recognized as a treant before attacking, leave the weapon in the already dying monster, then stalk forward to grab the goat and pull her mouth open. Once the man retrieves his coat sleeve, I lift the goat and walk back to the pen, casually passing off the stranger for Tir to deal with while I fix up the leaning fence post that seems to be how the goat got out. By the time I return, the two are talking quite animatedly about, something.

"C'mon man, there's gotta be something adventurey to do around here!" The stranger makes a broad sweeping gesture with both arms spreading outwards.

"Of course there is. There are a few nearby dungeons, and it's easy to find any number of wild monsters by just wandering the woods. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea for you to just walk off to your death." The stranger's gaze shifts to me as I approach, which leads to Tir looking my way. "Ah, Aradain. Is this guy strong enough to challenge Da- er, the dungeon you claimed? I feel like that's the safest bet."

Before I can assess the newcomer, Dan cuts in. "I say do it. I wanna see if one of my monsters can get his pants!" I barely keep a straight face as I stare ahead blankly. "Oops. Phrasing. I mean, like a piece of his pants. So I can give it to my neighbor who could then make denim. Love jeans. Great pants, less good for other things. But still."

I clear my throat softly, then rub my eyes and stare at the stranger trying to judge how strong he is. "Level one, feels more dangerous than an average level one person though. Not quite sure how. Doesn't seem like he's especially strong or fast. Something in his presence feels vaguely familiar. Like there's part of his feeling that should make me think of something else?" I tilt my head, then shrug. "He should be fine against the basic monsters in there."

"Whazat? Oh, you're one of those, wild child types with like, animal instincts about how strong people are? Cool, cool. But it sounds like you approve of me going to the dungeon? Yes! Adventure. Terry btw. Don't suppose you'd wanna go out somewhere after? . . Er, unless this guy is your boyfriend?"

"Eww, no. Tir is my brother. Also, ew to you. No flirting, I will hit you." I grab my guandao and use it to hoist the wooden corpse still impaled on it overhead. Then I slowly lower it to point the treant at him from a short distance. "Turns out I like girls, and since I realized that, I get more annoyed by guys trying to bother me."

"Hey hey, no problem. I'm something of a feminist myself. My best friend once removed is a lesbian! I got no quarrel with that kinda thing."

"Uhhh. Wh-what does 'best friend once removed' even-"

He cuts me off with a loud clap, then dusts his hands off. "Right, so where we goin'?"

"Mmm. You two start walking that way." I shoo them in the general direction of Dan's dungeon. "I'ma gonna, go put this treant, in the barn?" It's an awkward feeling excuse, but not like he'd expect what I'll actually be doing. "Won't take me a minute to catch up."

The treant vanishes as soon as I'm sure I'm well out of sight, then I turn around and jog to join back up with the two.

When I slip past them and fall into the lead position, Tir speaks up. "Dungeon delving again. Don't want to go get Mera?"

"Ah, no. She said she'd be picking out clothes for something she and Ahnya are planning? If I approach her, I'll just end up as a dress up doll." My cheeks warm up slightly as I consider that. "Guess I, wouldn't really mind. But adventure is more fun anyway."

When we exit the tree line, the stranger stops and sweeps his gaze over the landscape. "Hmm, this all just looks like a normal view so far. Uhh. Hey, are those goblins? Let's go kill em!" He starts moving to the left.

"Huh?" I look over to the small collection of half a dozen simple wood and crudely tanned hide huts, with several goblins around a fire in the middle of the, almost village. Interestingly it's at a spot where it'd be hidden from the town by the edge of the woods. "Nah. Dad would've taken care of them if he thought they were a problem. Plus look, they have a little field, so they won't bother humans. Least, usually not."

"Wait, goblins know how to farm around here? That's weird. Aren't they jus' supposed to be dumb humanoid monsters?"

"Well, uhh. Like some wild ones do? If they were from a dungeon they'd be much more hostile. That one famous monster tamer guy taught a bunch of goblins and released them. Steph Earwig or something? Right Tir?"

"Yes. He usually prefers reptilian monsters, but apparently he had the idea to show goblins and other near sapient monsters how to tend to their own crops, then tamed the clear leaders of several goblin tribes to show the general process to them? Plenty of other monster tamers have taken to doing the same. I also heard a rumor that goblins can't be taught to raise livestock, though. Apparently they like meat too much to hold off to gain more later. Though that is less confirmed."

"Wait, do you mean Steve Irwin?!" The young man seems shocked as he asks the question.

"If you already know him, why are you asking us?" I shake my head then focus on Tir. "Wait, are our goats and chickens safe with these goblins a, what ten minute walk away?"

"Probably. The whole point of them being taught to grow their own crops was to prevent them from challenging people. Also, if they've been living here half as long as it seems, they've definitely seen dad do terrifying things to monsters far stronger than them."

With a noncommittal sigh, I turn away and continue on to the dungeon. The new guy gets distracted by the magic trees and unfamiliar to him text, but it doesn't take us long to walk into the initial entry chamber, which has been expanded at some point, and now has a desk and small safe. There are two guild employees here, a young woman who looks vaguely familiar, and a middle aged man dressed as a porter, probably to take loot the guild buys from adventurers back to the guildhall in town.

"Hello, how can I help you this morning?" This guild girl is entirely too cheerful for how early it is. "If you're here to run one of the dungeon sections, could you inform me which one so I can inform people it has already been done for the day? Oh, and the newly opened holy fire and sacred flame section is currently occupied."

"That fumble with the central hall core got turned into a whole path? Uhh." I shake my head. "Anyway, I'm the dungeon owner, and don't have a specific plan? Wind section maybe? I haven't been through there yet."

"Oh wonderful!" She claps her hands lightly. "Now if you could bring out your proof of ownership to confirm that, and hopefully inform me if you end up going through another area?"

"Proof of? Oh, that ceramic magic tool thing?" I bring my bag around and start digging. "Ahnya did say to keep it with me. But I just about forgot about it already." I pull out the silver patterned white stone a bit bigger than a deck of cards and hand it over to her.

She waves it over a small crystal ball looking tool on her desk, which brings up a small menu screen looking thing over it, though I can't see what it says from this side. "Slate authenticity confirmed! Now, if you could just run your mana through the slate to show that it is linked to you?" She passes it back to me with a quirked eyebrow.

I mutter to myself slightly as I balance my weapon in the crook of one arm and press both hands to the slate. After a couple tries I manage to move mana from one hand to the other, through the slate. It lights up, but a few streams of mana spark and pop as they zip out of the sides of the tool.

"Owner slate link confirmed! Though I'd recommend using less mana next time, those slates are physically durable, but still delicate to magical forces. They are also, quite expensive to replace." After lowering her lecturingly raised finger, she notes something down on a sheet of paper. "Have a nice day ma'am."

"Right. Thank you?" I put the slate away as I walk into the dungeon's grand central hall. "Uhh, wind section is past the little windmill." I run ahead into the tunnel leading in. The breeze already setting my clothes to flapping and my hair to stream along behind me. I giggle a bit from the tickly feeling. After a few seconds of standing in the first room, I notice that I'm alone, so I turn to look back out, finding Tir and the stranger struggling to push their way ahead through the wind of the tunnel. "That hard? I didn't even notice. Uhh, wait. I'm fifty percent resistant to wind. Does that, really apply to things like that?"

While I'm occupied trying and failing to think of other weird uses for high resistances, they manage to make it through, with Tir in the lead by a fair bit. Understandable, given he's still a couple levels above me. The air is still moving towards the entrance, but in the larger space of the room it is a far lighter breeze.

Tir heaves a heavy sigh. "The update to this section sucks, or rather, blows. It was not hard to get into before."

The first room of the wind section is styled like a large cavern, similar to the main hall, with plenty of stalactites and stalagmites for small monsters to hide behind. But they're easy enough for me to pick out.

"Looks like, this is another place where once you start one fight, the nearest few will try to join in. Lemme think. Mmm. Ah!" I point to a stalagmite against the wall at the left. "There's one monster there, new guy, you pick a fight with that just after I attack the two over there." My finger moves to point at an extra large pillar of rock right in the middle that looks like several stalactites and stalagmites fused together. "Then the one a little further back will come after me, instead of you, let alone the two I'll go for first going after you. Give you a shot at a solo encounter to start."

Tir sighs slightly. "Guess I'll, back him up to be safe? I can intervene if you need help, but I doubt it'll come to that. And. . ." Tir turns to the darker haired man. "Do you even have a weapon? Any idea how to use ki or mana? Experience in a fist fight? Anything?"

"Oh don't you worry about that. I have a way to handle myself." He lightly punches his left palm with his right hand.

Dan speaks, based on Tir twitching, I'd guess he hears it too. "I'll say. Seven star swords? Who wants to bet that they're elementally themed? Lol."

I ignore Dan, then shrug. "Works for me." I 'dance with the wind', to go into stealth, my body subconsciously moving in ways that cut through but also harmonize with the movement of the air, though I don't understand how that makes me hard to see, then slip along the right side of the great pillar.

I stand to the side of the pair of monsters, a large but light looking golem that seems to be made of thin tin sheets, and a green wisp. For a few seconds I just watch past them until the stranger approaches the wind elemental hidden in a small alcove in the wall behind that stalagmite. Once he's close enough that the golem near me starts turning his way, I leap over it, chopping into its shoulder with my guandao as I go, then twisting around to face it when I land.

When I lunge forward to stab the golem center mass, I hear the stranger's fight with the elemental starting.

"Aha! First sword, star sword of flame, Stella Ignis!"

Dan mutters in my ear. "Called it, but, that was a redundant line."

Just as the stranger starts to yell as if swinging something, Tir yells at him. "Don't use fire on wind monsters you idiot!"

The golem disappears as a deep whoosh sounds out behind me, then a swell of heat pushes me forward, leaving me uncomfortable as all the skin on my back seems to tighten from the temperature change. I leap forward with enough force that the wisp pops on my shoulder as I go through it. Then once things cool a bit I turn to look, finding a spiraling pillar of flames that is slowly fading away.

"Wow. So much for that guy." As the tense feeling in my back slowly settles, I check my hair, finding some of it to be lightly crisped. Though it straightens out as I watch? "Does regeneration, heal hair? Lucky, I guess. Wait, can I like, not get it cut shorter then? I mean, I like it long, but. Weeird. Maybe Ahnya would know?"

Laughter comes from the meter wide stream of fire. "Wow, he said I'd be immune to the element of the sword I'm using, but this is nuts!" The fire cyclone fades enough to reveal that the man is untouched. He's also holding a large jagged red sword he definitely didn't have before.

Once the fire is basically gone, Tir stalks up to the other man. "Fire plus wind makes inferno. Don't, do that again. If you have an, earth sword? That'd be the most effective against wind monsters."

"Also you wasted like, half your mana on that!" I'm so distracted watching them that it takes me a few seconds to realize that a wind elemental is trying to engulf me. Though like the ice elementals, it doesn't really bother me, until it throws an immaterial punch at my face causing me to sneeze and very thoroughly drawing my attention. "Ack, bastard. Right earth, lemme just."

I focus mana in my left hand and shift it to earth before swatting the elemental with it. I didn't manage to kill it, but it is at least off of me. It twists around and moves towards me again. I reflexively swing my guandao at it, the weapon does, something, flashing blue and actually cutting the elemental despite me not putting attributed mana into it. Then the monster disappears.

After that, the adventure through the wind section is, fairly uneventful. Aside from the fact that Dan gave some of the monsters sand to attack with, which was pretty annoying.

After we leave the wind section, the stranger turns to the little chapel in the room. "Hey, what's the building?"

"Oh. Actually we should have had you go in there before the adventure. The priest guy who hangs out there can help you get a class soul from lady Vestria. You could have,. . ." A weighty presence that demands my attention causes me to trail off. I turn towards it, then dash off with an excited but deliberately muffled yell of, "Ahnya!"

I barely hear Tir say something to the stranger. "Yep. Looks like our adventure with you is done. She was right though, you should go speak to Branheil and get a class. Probably something sword related?"

I use earth mana with my art of deception. Unlike most effects this one doesn't make me invisible, instead changing the colors of my body and equipment to blend in with the rock pillars and loose soil of the room. The closer I get, the slower I move. Ahnya is standing still staring at one of Dan's weird little decorations marking the different sections, specifically an odd set of flames with a gold flame fleeing from a gold flecked normal looking flame. I use the art of movement to help scale a connected pillar of stone, then shuffle around it till I'm as close as I can get to her, then I drop my weapon and leap off, heading right towards her in a flying hug sort of thing.

Not only does Ahnya catch me with one hand and spin to slow my momentum before pulling me into an aggressive hug of her own, but she even used wind magic to stop my guandao from hitting the floor. "My, what strange little monster has accosted me in the dungeon now? Some sort of hugging kobold perhaps?" She pulls my face out of her cleavage enough to poke my nose.

"Nope, I'm a fierce dragon! And this ambush isn't over!" Chomp.

"Oho, so you want my fingers in your mouth, do you?" After that somehow embarrassing line, she giggles at my futile attempt to bite her finger, then places me on the floor before tickling me to get me to let go. She pats my head. "I'm surprised you're so energetic this early. The other day at Mera's place you weren't up till noon~"

I sputter and look away, face fully flushed in an instant. "Th-that's hardly fair." I take a deep breath, then wave my hands as if fanning my face. "Anyway, Mera isn't here, let's go see if I can really breathe water!"

"I'm sorry? I don't quite. . . Tsk, naughty girl. You think Mera won't let you try, so you brought it up when you were alone with me." Ahnya shakes her head. "Fine fine. I'm entirely certain that you can. So I'm fiiiine watching you prove it to yourself." After that she mutters just barely loud enough for me to hear. "Gonna tell Mera about this though."

"C'mon! It's better to know before it becomes an issue, right?"

She doesn't respond, simply sashaying away, swiping her tails against my face lightly just before they're out of reach.

I huff and grab my guandao from the wind cushion it was still floating on. Then I run to catch up. Tir joins us near the water section before realizing that we're heading into it. "Should I go tell the guild secretary that you're running the water section too?"

"Uhh, sure. Why not?" So he runs off as Ahnya and I walk through the entrance to the water section. The main changes seem decorative. The bulk of the design is back to white, but there are certain parts, such as near the water line, that are dark blue still. Also, the water is now flowing from the entrance deeper into the path. "Say, where is Rin? Feels weird that you were by yourself."

"Ohhh, she just had an itch she wanted to scratch with some of her favorite boy toys. Nothing to worry about. I considered bringing another one of my, special employees in her place, but wasn't quite certain who to take, and you'll be able to meet some of the others soon enough either way."

Once we're in the first room, I take the same short jump shortcut as I did last time. Which Ahnya simply steps over to stick close to me. I pause as I look down at the water where I'd dangled my feet off the ledge last time, then search for monsters nearby. There isn't one down there, but there are still a few groups nearby. I set my bag and guandao down and start hyping myself up. Then I take a deep breath and jump in.

My feet hit the bottom while my head and even shoulders are still above the surface. "Huh. Bit shallower than I thought." I shake my head and lie back into the water. I hold my breath a few seconds, then just decide to close my eyes, relax, and clear my mind.

Some time later, I hear some light splashing. I open my eyes to see Ahnya swishing the fingers of her right hand through the surface. "Well, are you all right down there?"

I wave back. "Yeah. Feel like I could just, take a nap down here, even."

She has a curious expression on her face. "Well now, there's an interesting effect. I can hear you quite clearly despite you being underwater."

"Hmm? I can hear you too." I shrug and take a deep, breath? "Say, does it count as a breath if it's water?"

"I'm not sure about the semantics there, honestly. Hmm, are you satisfied yet? Last time I spoke to him Dan had some, unusual monsters he wanted to feed into your skill."

I stretch out with a groan, then slowly stand up. Water pours from my mouth as I speak. "And does he want anything for them?"

"Well, mostly just to test out something new I have. But I wouldn't mind more spawner boxes. Specially like, one for that dragon thing Ahnya gave you. That'd be cool. Maybe like, healing or mana potions to use with catalyzation."

I climb up out of the water and flick a bit of ennui through my clothes to send the water clinging to them back into the slow stream below.

Ahnya looks pensive. "I'm, not sure I would recommend that one. It shouldn't be harmful. But I doubt it'll be useful either."

"Why not? Too hard to control? Likely to escape? Prone to deep sleep for long periods of time?"

"No, she just doesn't have enough material to make a decently leveled adamant dragon spawn from one of the boxes. From what I saw, just a bit more than enough to make a level five one? If I remember what I saw in that menu right. Though it could be interesting to see what comes out for a level one dragon. She can add more after, I guess?"

"Alright, works for me. Lemme just-"

"Well not here. Adamant dragon sounds more, earth aligned? Crystal maybe? Well, guess I can just move the box. Uhh, sure. Er wait, I'll build a new room with the gauntlet core nearby for some of the weird monsters I wanted to test, then open a path for you to put it there and I'll move it when convenient."

With Dan occupied, I kill a few monsters to kill time. After a while he comes back in with a loud crack as part of one of the walls slides open and a sheet of stone appears to connect the new passage to the path.

"Right this way please, ladies. I'd like to start with the dragon. Miss Ahnya was being dodgy about it, so I gotta see."

The new tunnel leads to what looks like a small colosseum. Only about thirty meters across and ten tall, with only a single row of seats in the upper portion. There is a square of raised tiles occupying most of the floorspace. I hop up and place a monster spawn box in the middle of the platform. I have five hundred fifty adamant dragon material, the level one version would cost one point, since level one is the minimum, but level two would cost two hundred, the second largest jump in cost in the list behind the goblin honored ancient at five hundred for the level two version. Naturally I drop a one unit token into the black box and back away.

The little bar on the side fills up fast, then fills in a darker color of blue about a quarter of the way before something launches out of the box. It hits the floor hard with a clattering noise like the balls of a billiards board, and slides along the floor.

Ahnya takes a deep breath. "Yeah. Figures a level one adamant dragon is just an egg. I'm not even sure it'd hatch by level five." She chuckles and shakes her head.

Indeed it is a large egg. I could easily wrap my arms around it, but it is the biggest egg I've ever seen, for sure. Even as an egg it has a sort of crystalline plate look to it.

"Does it, count as a monster as an egg? Also why an egg? Shouldn't it at least be a hatchling? Guess I could, maybe do some interesting things with it as is, buuuuut. . ."

"Dragons are, weird. Specifically in that their growth and physical maturity is determined by the amount of energy in their bodies. Or, to put it another way, how big they are is based on their level. It varies, quite a bit from one species to another, usually on their relative amount of power. Adamant dragons specifically have very durable bodies, so it stands to reason that they need a lot of energy to grow."

"Uhhuuuh. Well I'm still quite interested, so I'll just. . ." The spawn box slides to the side and right on out of the room. "Now. Who wants to see a really weird monster and see what one of my new special abilities does?" Without waiting for a response, he sends a few motes of odd bronzed gold flecks swirling into the room from, somewhere distant. It has the same basic feel as the gauntlet core though. "Turns out, using magic you don't rightly understand to fuse two monsters together can have, less than stellar results."

The glowing metallic motes coalesce into a twisted mass of exposed flesh, ill fitted blue scales, misshapen iron gray limbs, and uhh. "Is that a lung, on the outside of the monster?"

The sound of my voice causes the pitiable creature to writhe, then claw at the ground to bring the mutilated face of a behemoth with two eyes on the left side, both at the size they should be, and five eyes on the right, only one at the correct size and the rest smaller. Oh and it has SPIDER FANGS jutting out of its mouth where a tongue should be.

"Dan. I don't know for certain about earth culture. But normally, a gentleman would not subject a pair of young ladies to such an upsetting sight without proper warning. Now, what the hells did you do to that thing?!"

Ahnya's shout sets the creature off. It tries to roar, but mostly a sound of tearing flesh comes out, then it coughs up blood before wheezing and dragging itself forward on four of its seven legs.

"Oh, right uhh. Sorry. The gauntlet core has a battle condition called fusion tourney. Basically you have a bunch of monsters fight against each other, and the last two alive get fused together. This lovely monstrosity that I have affectionately dubbed a 'behemoth abomination' is a fusion of a shallows behemoth and an iron spider. A combination that worked out so poorly that the abominations rarely survive for more than an hour after being created."

Ahnya clenches her jaw and draws a deep breath. "I know you were listening in when I described my unique skills. So, tell me. Do you think, someone with a fusion type unique skill, wants to see or hear about something like, that? Or did you bother to think, at all?"

Dan barely has time to say the phrase, "Oh shit!" before Ahnya raises her right hand towards the slowly approaching monster with her index finger pressed against her thumb. Then she flicks the air and a line of, something shoots forward, splitting the abomination in half, as well as leaving a giant gash in the wall several meters behind it.

The halved monster slumps, the eighth leg that should have been on the left side of its body slides out of the right side of the chest cavity, twitching sporadically for several seconds before curling up.

Ahnya exhales a brief stream of fire, then closes her eyes. "No. No need to freak out. That was just, personally upsetting. Shall we say? I have seen and dealt with things, objectively far worse. That said, if I see another botched chimera like that from you, I will rearrange your dungeon to suit my own sense of aesthetics, the hard way."

"Yes ma'am. I'll just, put all Cronenbergs on the do not use list."

I grab Ahnya's hand and give it a squeeze. "Don't worry, I'm sure your skill is nothing like, that."

She smirks, but doesn't bother opening her eyes. "It really isn't, no. Frankly, if he hadn't described it as fusion. . . But, oh. Speaking of chimera, I should introduce you to Zenach. I think she should be an, interesting experience for you. Though, I would ask that you not tell her the situation that made me think of her. Also, could you get rid of that corpse?"

"One sec, gotta do my thing, and good to go."

Ahnya huffs and furrows her eyebrows. But doesn't say anything.

When I try to convert the abomination it flashes with red and blue light and most of the softer tissues disappear, leaving bones, chiton, scales, and the like behind. Before I can so much as squint at the strange result, multiple screens pop up in my vision.

[*Unquantified* units of *Unknown* material obtained. . . Analysis failure]

Well dude or dudette. Interesting result, it seems you've somehow found yourself outside of the Guardian Light system's support range, or otherwise found some form of interference. Quite the feat given the estimated full planetary coverage by year *Reference file not found* As you know, we at the Guardian Corp Incorporated LSD(What do you mean LLC?) company care greatly about preserving the health and happiness of our living weapons, sorry I mean military assets, oops my bad again, I meant contracted unique skill holders, of course. After all, Guardian Corp totally doesn't have a privatized military branch. Wink. Thus in order to ensure your survival in these trying times despite the reduced functionality of your unique skill/s in situations where the Guardian Light system cannot support you, a subsystem previously installed will provide a simplified explanation of how to use the default, boring, basic form of your unique skill/s as well as issuing a challenge with a one hour time limit. Succeeding in the challenge will net you a hefty five thousand credit bonus! Now get out there and safeguard your future, as well as that of the illustrious Guardian Corp.

Uni-nav here to help!

Monster Conversion: With this wonderful skill you can take pieces of monsters you think you have a use for, and just use them that way. The pieces will slowly change to suit the purpose you give them. Want to use a skull as a shield? It'll become sturdier and easier to hold over time. Do you ever look at a plant monster and think its leaves would make a great poultice to heal your wounds? Chew those leaves up and spit the paste on the affected area. Assuming you don't fatally poison yourself somewhere in the process, that gunk will slowly gain healing properties, even if it didn't have them to start! Once you've found a use for something, repeat uses of the same thing will change to be useful faster than ever! Best of all, once you regain full Guardian Light support, anything you make in this manner will be added to your recipe list!

Challenge Quest: Fully convert one item recognized as a "Bone" into a proper weapon within one hour, starting upon closure of this window. Reward: 5000 credits added to your account or an energy imprinted credit chit.

Thank you for using Uni-nav!

Congratulations on being an anomaly again. Just, casually tripping over a system I hadn't bothered to look for, let alone disable. But, given the situation, I suppose I can't say I disapprove. In fact, you're rather amusing. As an added bonus, I'll give you a better reward if you complete that quest. Five thousand credits would have been quite a tidy sum back then, but I doubt you have much use for a digital currency from a dead civilization. Or, perhaps you would? What the heck, I'll include the credit chit. See what ancient machine you wake up with it. Why not?

"Huuuh, seems skill suppression against monster conversion just directly makes it harder to convert things? Anything weird on your end Aradain?"

"Uhhhhh. Yes? How bout you two make sense of these screens?" I laugh awkwardly as I share the wall of text with them.

 

 

Probably gonna pick up the pace soon, eh. But, couple more chapters for adventure, then at least one for fluff first, I think. Also, slightly amusing, but Aradain didn't realize the guy's name is Terry cause "btw" meant nothing to her and he was talking fast. Introduced a McGuffin that hadn't come up before because obviously she needed some way to prove she owned the dungeon, which I should have thought of before. Also also, thought it'd be cute for Blue to make a game out of tryin' ta sneak up on Kitty~

Spoiler

Also also also, there is a seeeecret truth in this chapter that no one will realize until it comes up again!

[collapse]

2