Part 1: The Isles of Origin: Chapter 26: Disease
50 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Well, I guess if you really want to come along, that's fine. Just don't think you're completely switching parties. Ahnya's idea was for our two parties to work together. So, lending members between the two or swapping now and then, makes sense. Cresla was acting as a tank? Treen seemed like a brute force fighter, but don't really know beyond that. Aaaand, I never got the rabbit beastkin's name? But, hand to hand fighter? Er, foot, cause kicks?"

Keiuri perked up, then deflated a bit, then switched to a thoughtful expression, but didn't interrupt my speech. "Cresla is a knight, Treen is an armsman, and Vranya is a martial artist."

"Hey, martial artist was one of my options. I didn't pick it. But it was on the list." I stand up from the chair and roll my neck. "Guess I can try adventuring with each of them sometime later if they're interested. Treen probably will be?"

"Pretty sure Treen wants you, same as I do. Eheh. Cresla is acting like a mom friend to me, but hasn't expressed much interest in you beyond encouraging me. Vranya is very straight and made that perfectly clear."

"Not that kind of adventuring! I meant like, fighting monsters, finding rare plants or treasures, exploring uncharted land. That kinda thing. Though I wouldn't mind doing that with Treen. She's similar to me so that could be, something. Ehh. Anyway, let's get going! We've got a weird monster to kill."

Kammy walks up beside us. "Pardon me, would you like to change into more practical outfits?"

"Hm? I can fight in a dress. I think? Now I kinda wanna try." I grin and do a quick pirouette, and stomping my raised foot down fast enough to let the shin length skirt spin around for a moment when I stop.

"It would be a shame to see it damaged. But if you have decided, I shall say nothing more on the matter." Kammy has a slight enigmatic smile on her face as she bows her head.

"Okay. I'll try not to get hit? Mera bought these, and another cute girl picked them out for us to wear for the day. That the day is for an adventure changes nothing. We might as well do them the honor of looking cute doing it! Right Keiuri?"

Keiuri snickers at me, but Kammy's smile broadens. So I'll count it as a win.

"Later Kammy and Flam." I wave and run out of the dining room.

It takes me a few minutes to give up on leading the way out of the house, after which I just follow Ahnya while sulking slightly. Should've actually explored the place a bit yesterday.

At first we're walking normally through town. Then Keiuri insists on holding my hand. So naturally Mera takes my other hand. Lacking a hand to grab, Ahnya decides to walk right behind me with both hands on my shoulders.

It feels awkward, but they seem happy, so I can't quite bring myself to complain. At least until. . . "H-hey! Why're you grabbing there in public?!"

Keiuri's free hand slips back out of the top part of my dress, then slides down to my navel. "I just wanted to compare them to your abs again. Just as soft and firm, respectively, as I remember."

"I don't mind you touching me. But we're in the middle of town?"

She seems, entirely uninterested in that detail. After the blank look, she tilts her head. "Oh, you can let go of my hand for a bit if you want to feel mine."

Ahnya giggles and pokes my cheek lightly. "In case you haven't figured it out yet. High elves are severely over affectionate after they've gotten interested in someone. And their minds are, nearly entirely unable to differentiate platonic affections from sexual ones. At least, after they've done sexual things with you. They might know that there is a difference, to other people, but they don't feel it themselves. I guess, a good way to put it is. If it's okay sometimes, it's okay all the time, to them. Unless you specifically ask her not to touch you in those sort of places, she'll likely do so as soon as the idea comes to mind. And you'll probably have to remind her fairly often. Or you can just hold both of her hands with one of yours."

"Uhh, that's a problem that all high elves have, then?" I raise my right hand to snare Keiuri's other hand as well.

"Well, normally they're the least sexually active race of elves, relatively. Unless they're interested in that way, they usually come across as rather, cold. Sometimes even stoic. Of course, that extreme affection is something that varies from person to person. There may even be some that don't quite get that way at all. But on average, yes. All species and races have their quirks. That's just one that is common to high elves. Hmmm, you could bring her along to our next playtime~ Maybe if she's interested in Mera and I as well, she won't bother you quite so much. Though I was a bit surprised that she approached you even though you were clearly already in a relationship. High elves are also quite prone to monogamy. Granted, she isn't the only exception I know."

Keiuri blushes slightly and looks away. "I figured Aradee would be worth it, even if she's playing with other girls. I guess, if she wants me to as well, I will. But only when she's involved, too."

"Hmm, I look forward to seeing if you become so affectionate towards me. But pairing you with Blue sure is a sweet idea as well~" Ahnya chuckles wickedly, then pats my head, for some reason.

After that, the trip to my house is, fairly uneventful. Or, should I be thinking of it as dad's house? Hmm. I shake off the other girls for a moment, then approach the front door. I pause briefly, then knock instead of just opening it.

"Hmm, why are you knocking?" Dad's voice is easily audible through the door. After a few seconds of waiting, he sighs then humors me by opening the door. "Hello. Now, why did you knock?"

"Uhh, because I'm moving in with Ahnya and Mera. And, maybe Keiuri? I saw Flam sneak her a key. Wait, Mera, are you moving in too?"

"Emphatically yes. My parents are talking about having another kid now that I'm grown up. Only way my little sibling is getting their own room is if I move out. Or, if dad gives up his in home studio. But that would actually impact his work at the store, sooo, unlikely."

"You think that moving in with your girlfriends, means you have to knock when you come here?" Dad shakes his head. "You're overthinking things, kid. Much as I'd never expected to say that about you. So, what're you doing? Just come by to pick up your stuff for the new place?"

"I'm not sure why I thought that, actually? Hmm. I can get my stuff later. We were gonna go take care of that anchor monster in the bubble thing. We came to grab Tir, I guess. From what I remember, it seems like it'd be too strong for me alone. But Tir, Mera, Keiuri, and I together? That might be enough. Plus Ahnya will be watching if we have trouble?"

"I certainly intend to be. But, you know I have a spatial bag. We can just grab your stuff now. Hells, it'd be a good opportunity for you to ask Keiuri about her skill loadout if nothing else. Maybe spend the skill points you have stocked if you can pick something that you think would help."

We walk into the house, Mera and Ahnya basically just tossing most everything of mine into the bag. "Right, uhh. I have three of those. I already have art of deception, poisonous lore, art of movement, and the subskill anchor for movement. Kinda interested in the breath release technique. But it'd be the most, magic feeling skill I'd have if I got it. So I'm not really, sure about it? You know."

Ahnya looks perplexed by that. "Hon, you remember that I'm a sage, right? I'm literally the most magical person you know? Besides, you've already been practicing elemental effects with mana channeled through your weapons. You'd basically just spit those effects out at a medium range? I fail to see why something feeling magical would be a reason to hesitate. It is handy to stockpile skill points for later, but if you have some interest? . ."

"All right. Fine. I'll figure it out. Magic just, feels like something I'd have a hard time with? But sure. Saving the rest to see if I get anything good at level ten though. Er, class level ten. So twelve overall? And I'll have five skill points? Ahh, does having two separate levels annoy anyone else?"

There are a few chuckles around me. But Keiuri smiles my way. "Aradee! I was level zero when I got my light mage class, so my levels are the same. It is convenient!" For some reason that causes her to start petting me. Just the hair and face at the moment, but, to be safe.

"Okay okay. Hands to yourself for a while, please. And like Ahnya said, can you tell me about your skills so I know what to expect in the fight? Oh, and Tir should pay attention too, cause he's a mage. Ohh. Probably should get updated on Mera and Tir's skills too. I know Mera got all the prayer of protection's subskills, but not sure what else. And I know Tir has at least four different spells. But don't know about his subskills. But uhh, it doesn't look like it'll take long to grab my stuff, so, quick versions of the explanations?"

Keiuri snickers. "You mean if it's too long winded, you'll get bored? But that's fine. I can do quick. Light bolt, magic missile, but light. Two points for the subskill barrage, which lets me fire bolts equal to half my level, so seven in a chain right now, in exchange for increasing the cooldown time. One point for radiant bolt, which allows bolts to deal minor damage at a short range where they land. One point each for flash and lantern, flash blinds things, lantern is just a light source spell, which is mostly utility. Lasts for an hour and moves where I want it though. Then I spent three points on light wall, and its subskills flexible wall and broad wall. Making a barrier of light, shaping it according to my will, and covering a larger area. At level ten I got searing beam, which is a light ray that I focus on one target, it takes a few seconds to start doing full damage, and I got the subskill tracking beam, so it follows a target automatically. One point on each, scope, holy light, and light armor. Scope lets me see faraway things as if they were up close, holy light is a strong damage dealing spell that only works on unholy things like undead, light armor is, self explanatory. Finally, my fifteenth skill point I spent on light field, which covers a wide area in light that weakens darkness abilities. Though its subskills can let it do a few more things."

"Sounds very, light themed? Most of them seem useful, even if only three of them do damage. Uhh, huh? None of my skills do damage. Weird. You know, I think I will just grab breath release. I mean, already was gonna. But." Rather than delaying again, I go into the skill menu and select it. "There. Mera?"

"Prayer of protection, and all of its subskills. That's four of my seven skill points already. It basically offers elemental and physical protection based on the associations of the god I pray to. Or, element I pray to if I use nature worshipper. Subskills are group prayer, which allows me to target up to six people with one prayer. Twin prayer, which allows me to call upon two gods, or elements, at once, though if they aren't compatible, the protections can weaken each other. Finally there is heavy protection, which can only be used on one target with one effect, but doubles the strength by comparison to the base prayer. Oh, and apparently some other prayers share the group and twin prayer subskills, so since I already have them, they'll already be available to other prayers when I get them. After that, I have smite, which is a targeted holy attack that I can use quickly, and its subskill blessed smite, which applies the smite effect to a weapon. My last class skill is the prayer of resistance, which increases the target's resistance to status effects. Once again, whoever I pray to somewhat alters the effect. Though it feels less, predictable than the prayer of protection. It also uses group prayer."

Tir hums slightly. "Magic missile, firebolt, earth spike, wind arrow, water slash, light bolt, shadow spike, glimmer shot, scatter rot, and blast bubble. Most of them work similarly to magic missile, though some have quirks. Like shadow spike emerges from the target's own shadow to stab them. And scatter rot breaks into several pieces a meter from my wand which fizzle out within five meters, but are pretty nasty in that range. Blast bubble is more force oriented than magic missile, so it's prone to knocking things over. I also have the subskill barrage for light bolt. My other two skill points were spent on magic missile's subskills, missile swarm and heavy missile."

"Missile swarm is good, but heavy missile is a flat damage boost, so how useful it is drops as you level up. Since the quality of mana improves a bit with each level, causing the damage to go up even with the same spells." At some point, Ahnya finished putting my things in the bag.

"Yes, I read as much in the guidebook you gave Aradain to give to me. But I had already bought the subskill. Oh. Thank you for the book, by the way."

"Think nothing of it. Blue thought of Mera and you fairly quickly after I brought up class guides, so she clearly cares about her big brother. Even if she acts kinda crass." Before I can more than scowl at her, Ahnya claps her hands loudly. "Great, now who wants to go fight an exotic monster?"

I open, then close, my mouth. I guess I can let it slide if it means moving on to the fun part of my day. Based on Ahnya's smirk, she expected that. For some reason, Tir looks surprised, and dad chuckles.

"Right, that settles it. Care to lead the way, sir?" Ahnya smiles down at dad, then gestures towards the door.

"Hmph. No need to butter me up. It's not hard to find, especially now that Dan marked it off with those glowing stones." Despite his stern response, he does walk over to the door and hold it open for everyone else to pass through.

Twenty minutes later, Tir, Mera, Keiuri, and I are standing about a dozen meters away from the loose ring of light mana crystals around the camouflaged sphere with Dimensional Anchor Vauneil and other smaller monsters sleeping within. Dad and Ahnya are a few times further back, giving some room for us to fight.

"Alright Ara, it's your party, how do you wanna handle this?" Mera is standing in front with her shield and knife at the ready.

"Uhh. I guess I'll sneak in and hit the big one, then run back out? If they don't follow me, I guess Tir and Keiuri can try to pop the bubble?" I shift my grip on my guandao, then store it away and take out my sword and dagger, since they're easier for sneak attacks. "Then we try to take out the smaller ones first? Once they're out of the way we can focus on the big one."

"Aradee, isn't it dangerous to wander into a monster nest by yourself?" Keiuri is pouting again, but has her staff held at the ready.

"Ah, they should still all be asleep. So even if I'm not great at stealth, getting in should be easy. Plus my Vengeance dagger has paralyzing poison in it, so I'll get it in near one of the legs to slow the big one down, then get out fast."

"Okaaay. Just don't get hurt."

"Speaking of, give me a moment for a prayer of protection before we start." She quickly recites the prayer with slightly different wording for multiple people, granting us the icy armor coating. "There, good to go. Knock em dead, hon."

"Yes ma'am. Heh." I walk forward at a causal pace, using the art of deception to hide my presence more than trying to make myself invisible. More important to hide my bloodlust if they can't see me, and elemental effects might give me away at close range.

I notice the first problem the moment I step through the odd membrane. There are more monsters in here now than when I first saw it. The big one, Vauneil, seven of the smaller bird lions, and two new creatures. The first is a long thin snake with three pairs of bat wings spaced across the first half of its five meter long body, currently sprawled out with only its head on the side of the nest. It isn't high level, only five, but it feels fast. It also catches the attention of my poisonous lore skill, though I can't tell exactly what it can do. The other new creature looks like a cross between a lion and a boar, with crab shell plates on its shoulders and back, it isn't as strong as I am, but seems tougher. It's also the next highest level after Vauneil, ten. Compared to Vauneil's new level of fourteen. Three levels up from what I remember, despite its continued slumber.

The situation is different from when I was first here, but dad has been checking every couple days, so I doubt it's changed much from when he saw it last. He hasn't objected, so he must think we can handle it.

I creep closer to the sleeping tauric monster. It is currently using the lion-boar as a pillow. I manage to get close enough to reach it on the right side. Now which leg do I aim for? Front or back. I think the back is more involved in movement. But the front can swipe and claw. Well the idea was to slow it down, so back. Maybe if I stab close to the spine I can disable both hind legs?

I store Lament to hold Vengeance with both hands. I hear a slight hiss. The snake-bat monster is stirring. Its eyes are still closed, but its tongue is flicking the air. I grip the envenomed dagger tightly, then plunge it down into the large monster's back near the hind pair of legs as hard as I can. Even then the dagger only goes to about halfway through the red hourglass mark on the side. Though that is enough for the venom to flow through it.

Vauneil jumps upright, bucking like a horse and tearing the dagger from my grip as I am knocked back. Some of the other monsters are already starting to move. I turn my staggering backpedal into a hard jump, throwing myself clear of the camouflaged bubble. Then a very lion like roar echoes from within.

"Ha ha!" I quickly turn and bolt away while retrieving my guandao. "Keiuri! Take out the flying snake first! I don't trust it!"

I stop and turn to face the oncoming monsters. The angle of my retreat didn't put me close to my party. They, the bubble, and myself are in a triangle formation. With Mera and the others still ten meters from one side of the bubble, myself off to the left from their perspective, now about eight meters from the bubble.

A few seconds after I take a ready stance, the lion-boar comes out, charging straight for me. Guess it woke up fast when Vauneil jumped. As soon as the monster is through, the camouflaged dome starts flaking, shedding its invisibility in odd shimmery clumps that splash down to the ground around it, leaving the rest of the monsters, who are all starting to move at this point, visible. The winged snake finally takes flight, lunging straight upwards before twisting to look my way, then suddenly a beam of light catches the broad areas of its many wings, it manages an enraged hiss and a turn towards Keiuri before the thin membranes burst into flames, dropping the serpent out of the air quite quickly even as the light shifts to follow it.

Vauneil is clawing at the ground with its four front limbs, the rear legs spasming and throwing it off balance every time it tries to stand back up. Weirdly, the slime like left arm is the one helping it move towards me most effectively, stretching out a meter further ahead of its other arm and dragging it forwards faster. Even then it is far behind the lion-boar, which as I turn my focus back to it is already close enough for me to thrust my guandao forward to meet its charge.

The blade cuts through the lion's mane, and a layer of flesh before sparking off of more shell underneath. Despite my weapon cutting a groove down its less armored back, the monster continues forward to ram its tusks into my left thigh, the icy armor upon me saves me from being gored by the savage tusks, but cracks as I am flung forward onto the monster's back.

I store my weapon in my warehouse instead of dropping it and wrap my arms around the monster's barrel thick chest before squeezing until the crabby armor and ribs underneath alike start groaning from the force.

Several arrows of light and purple tainted magic missiles fly into the cluster of monsters just starting to emerge from the circle of glowing stones. Most of the monsters turn to look at the other three. Though the sheer hate in Vauneil's red and gold eyes never wavers from me. Two of the least injured bird-lions manage to leap from the ground and start gliding towards the group. One of them was hit by three magic missiles and two light bolts, it collapses, unable to move and maybe dead instantly. Vauneil's slime arm stops dragging the great monster my way to engulf the fallen creature.

"Oh, don't like that. What was? Ahh. Turn on the auto conversion thing!" When the corpse caught up in the larger monster's grasp doesn't vanish, I furrow my eyebrows, but can't be bothered to figure out why it didn't work. Especially not with a monster trying to bite my leg. "Will you stop that?!" I slam my left knee into its face, then plant my right foot back on the ground and lift the lion-boar. After squeezing it some more to vent, and hearing a satisfying crack from something in its chest. I glare back at Vauneil's vertically slit pupils. Then, I smirk, drop the monster in my arms enough to grab its flailing hind legs, then spin around to throw it at the larger creature with enough force to send both tumbling back into the center of the nest like structure.

I retrieve my guandao just in time to cleave halfway into the torso of one of the smaller monsters as it pounced my way. This one does vanish immediately when it expires. Then the lion-boar comes sailing through the air at me. I can only imagine that Vauneil threw it back at me. The wingless flying monster roars as it comes down, so I anchor myself in place and thrust my guandao's blade into the open mouth. It sinks about a meter into the monster's body before catching on something hard.

The weight and momentum drags my weapon out of position and even causes me to lean back a bit to keep ahold of it, before the weight suddenly disappears. I bring my weapon back down to the ready and lock eyes on the main threat again. The lesser monster in Vauneil's slime arm has been stripped to the bone, and its remains are tossed aside as the multipart hybrid finally stands up properly. My dagger drops from the monster's lower back and its overly long but otherwise lion-like tail lashes like that of an angry cat.

I'm unsure of exactly how long we stare each other down, but when I hear Mera shout my gaze turns to check on the others. Two of the winged lions are still up, one of them managed to claw Mera's leg enough to draw blood while she's blocking the other. Tir uses an earth spike to pierce the one that actually hit her.

There is a loud thump from in front of me, I turn back just in time to see Vauneil about four meters away rearing up with an odd glow in it's fairly inhuman mouth. Then it roars and a stream of flame billows from the fanged maw.

I yelp and jump to the side. My icy armor bursting into steam across half of my body, it stings but doesn't seem serious. The rest of the armor crumbles as I roll to spring back to my feet. Then Vauneil is at my side, swinging its clawed humanlike arm down at my throat. I manage to get my guandao between us, but only the handle, leaving us wrestling for control of the weapon. Though with both hands on it, I have an advantage as I twist it around to swing for the waist, where human torso meets lion shoulders.

With catlike reflexes, the large monstrosity springs backwards to evade the blow. Then its mouth once more starts to glow.

My eyes feel odd, focused in a way they normally don't as for an instant I feel like I could count the individual hairs on Vauneil's head, then wild energy bubbles up in my throat.

Billowing flames meet a centimeter wide beam of water, a blast of steam blows away the flames less than half a meter from the monster's face as the thin stream continues forward. The red glob of Vauneil's left arm drops to the ground, writhing briefly before vanishing. Once both our attacks have ended the steam cloud fades, and the great monster, now far more seared than I am, springs away from me, turning to present the right side of its body, and the intact clawed arm, while puffing itself up to look larger than it is.

I draw my first breath after the water stream, then seize up from the unexpected pain in my throat. I cough heavily, barely breathing in more between them. Vauneil rears up, as if ready to lunge back in during my moment of weakness.

Then it is suddenly hit by a storm of light bolts as both mages cast the same spell. While it's still reeling from a bakers dozen of tiny magical lights lodging themselves in its face and chest, a dark shape spears up into its lower torso from its own shadow. Despite being thoroughly disemboweled by that last spell, the monster roars its defiance and pounces towards me, all three remaining forelimbs reaching out with claws at the ready.

I draw a sharp breath, ignoring the pain, then use the art of movement to jump off the ground with all the force I can muster, dropping my uselessly long weapon as I drive my left fist into the monster's lower chest, sending the monster that surely outweighs me several times over flying back the way it came before its lower limbs' paired sets of claws could do more than cut eight razor thin lines into the skin of my exposed shoulders.

I barely keep my feet under myself as I land. Vauneil meanwhile lands awkwardly on both of its backs, before a curved panel of hardened light pins it to the ground, and an odd black sphere flies right at its face before exploding with enough force to slam the somehow still snarling monster's head down against the ground, eyes and ears both bleeding.

Keiuri keeps concentrating on her light shield spell to hold the monster down as Tir cycles through his spells to slowly pummel it to death. Either ironically, or fitting enough, the spell to deal the final blow is the sparkling throwing knife like form of his holy spell, which takes on a slightly purpled tinge due to his demon sorcerer's wand, lancing straight through one of the beast's golden irises.

I can literally feel the life leave the monster, enough of its vital essence slamming into me to drive two level ups roiling through my body in a manner that even drowns out the pain still lingering in my throat. At least, for a while. I have enough presence of mind to turn off the auto conversion before anyone gets close to the monster, in case Ahnya wants a closer look first.

Keiuri runs up to me first. "That was so cool Aradee! Was that that breath release thing?"

"Maybe? Guh ha hack. Bleh." My aching throat translates into an odd, raspy tone when I try to speak. "En-nui?"

Ahnya is suddenly next to me on the other side. "That doesn't seem, quite right to me. That skill should use mana or chakra, not a rare energy type like ennui. But, maybe, indeed?"

The rest of the people involved approach after that. Mera holding a hand down on her leg, and Tir looking thoughtful. "You know, we really need a healer for our party."

"Potions?" I cough a couple times, then conjure a pair of healing potions.

"Useful after a battle, but difficult during. But, can you even drink one right now?"

"Maybe." I scoff, barely holding back from making it a cough, then pass one of the potions to Mera before downing the other. It hurts more than breathing, and I cough up half of it, easily. But after a few seconds it starts working. "How'd I even, hurt myself with water, anyway?" My eyes tear up a bit as the healing works through my throat.

Ahnya hums slightly. "High pressure water is very dangerous. With enough pressure, water can even cut through steel plates. A ninety percent reduction wouldn't help most people there. Not sure how high the pressure was on your little breath attack, but it did punch a hole through a monster six levels higher than you. So the recoil causing some damage is hardly surprising."

I acknowledge the statement with a grunt that only barely hurts, then straighten up and go to retrieve my weapons. "Right well, figure that out more later. Did you want to look over Vauneil? It was some kinda weird."

"We can always get a better look at another one later. But we'll likely learn more from your skill either way. But, you should review the lesser monsters you already converted first." I bring up the appropriate menu, passing it around for everyone to see. They were all counted as unnamed chimera variants, totaling a few hundred units of chimera material, and unlocking a few odd sounding things like a stabilizing potion, hallucinogen venom vial, and a crab shield. Perhaps best of all, the red slime thing that was used as an arm was apparently a symbiotic regenerator slime, which unlocked a lesser regeneration potion. "Surprised those bird headed ones didn't count as griffons. But then they didn't have front legs like bird talons, just the head and wings. Hmm. Now the big one?"

[Named monster slain! 100 Credits loaded to available credit chit] [400 units chimera material obtained, 500 units dire lion material obtained, 100 units monsterized human material obtained, 450 units WARPED material obtained, 50 units dungeon core material obtained] [Dungeon core identified as complex biogenesis type, fully replicable, 100 units dungeon core material and 100 units any organic monster material] [Exceptionally compatible feature, dungeon cells, analyzed. New function unlocked; Conversion Contagion: You can create a disease that afflicts monsters by using dungeon core material and material from the appropriate monster type. The relative strength of the disease is based on the comparison of strength between yourself and the monsters, as well as how specific of a monster type the disease is tailored to. For example, a disease for all slimes will be weaker than one for specifically acid slimes. The duration of the disease is one hour per ten units of dungeon core material and one hundred units of the monster material. For the first half of the duration, all infected targets will be carriers of the disease, able to spread it to others of the intended target species or type, then they will suffer the effects for the remainder. All monsters that die while carrying or experiencing the disease will be absorbed into monster conversion regardless of distance. Any creature that survives the disease will be immune to any future exposure to the conversion contagion. Initial contagion dispersal is based on user level, with a cone shaped range of 1 cubic meter per ten levels.] [Recipes unlocked; Vauneil's Fang 10 units chimera material 50 units dire lion material and 10 units WARPED material, small lionheart potion 100 units dire lion material, distortion venom vial 100 units WARPED material and -unknown-, energy adaptation potion 100 units WARPED material and 100 units monsterized human material, idol of forbidden ____ (word has been expunged from all languages, closest remaining word is impiety) 100,000 units monsterized human material and -unknown-]

"Uhhh, that thing counted as a dungeon core? Somehow?" I furrow my eyebrows at that idea, then show the screen around again.

"I find it more likely that it had a dungeon core inside it. But there are some, very worrying things in here. Even if I can't even begin to guess at what they could actually be. For now, don't make anything that requires this, warped material. And certainly don't make this, idol. I know you can't view item descriptions on incomplete recipes, but it already sounds, bad." Ahnya rubs the bridge of her nose. "But, I suppose you'll want to give Dan this new core type right away?"

"Sure! The sooner he has it, the sooner he can make new monsters to fight, right?" With that, we rush off to the dungeon, breezing through with my little identification plate thing, then running towards the back of the central chamber. "Dan? . . Hello? You uhh, there? Here?" I tap a nearby crystal incessantly before realizing that it's just a light mana crystal, not a core. "How do we, make him pay attention?"

Ahnya tilts her head slightly, her right ear folded almost parallel to the ground. "I imagine this will do." She smirks and straightens her head back up before waving her fingers a few seconds, something odd happens to the mana in the air, then ripples outward.

"Gyaah! What? Why? HOW?! That felt like a wet willy, but with mana instead of a finger!" Dan makes a convincing gagging noise, then huffs. "Oh, there, you lot. Of course. Hi, how can I help you today?" The false cheer in that last question is saccharine.

"We got a new core type, but I guess if you don't want it, we can just leave." I turn around to start walking back to the entrance.

"You know, all told, I still haven't even properly used every type I have, let alone filled out all the energy combinations. Also I'm busy with something, HUGE. So for once, I wouldn't mind waiting on that."

I stop and glare at the wavy air representing his perspective. "Well that's no fun. Just tell me where to put the damn thing."

Dan chuckles. "Alright, sure. Actually, I've been so uncertain of what to do with the gauntlet core, overall, that I've been thinking of setting up separate dungeons. This one for the three simple types and their direct derivatives, since they have such great, and let's be honest, intended, synergy, and others for other core types that don't really match. Point is, I already set up a couple extra spaces, so first door on your left, then follow the lights, that'll lead to an empty room that I can carve into another cave later when I am ready for that."

I start down the directed path, everyone else following. "What's sinergy? Fancy weird word. Ha."

"Something about how well things work together, I think?"

Ahnya pulls a book out of her bag. "Still have the dictionary! Lesseeeee. Synergy: the interaction or cooperation of two or more organizations, substances, or other agents to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects."

"Yeah, sounds about right. Or, too right? Words should be, a little different? . . . Have you all been speaking english this entire time, and I just, assumed I had some kind of auto translator?! How would I even prove that one way or the other?" Dan mutters to himself for a bit. "Ahhhh. I'm gonna stick with the assumption that the primary local language just got overlaid onto my mind somehow, with a system in there to correct things for proper understanding? Oh well. You're almost there."

The room is fairly large, but unadorned. I run to the middle and select the appropriate option. What appears floating in the air is a fist sized lumpy blob with a color like raw meat. "Ugh. Why?" A thin bubble of red specks starts expanding from it. I back away quickly, but they stop a meter from the core. When I poke the specks, they feel like the camouflaged membrane around Vauneil's nest. "Huh? So this caused, that? Did it? Oh well. Tir, you said we need a healer, right? I know one! I'ma go bug her." I run back the way we came excitedly.

"Oh that is interesting. Some sort of sci-fi or science fantasy cloning type thing as a base, then a near photoshop style creature editor for mixing and matching parts? Oh look! It even has a fossil restoration option! That should be, fuuun." Dan chuckles to himself. "Oh, that said, before I get at all into that, can I borrow you for a while miss Ahnya? I'd like to ask about ley lines and maybe try to replicate something I can see inside this lighthouse that I'd like to show you if I can. . ."

Keiuri is the only one who stuck with me while I was running out of the dungeon laughing like a madwoman. Not sure what everyone else is about, but I do have a plan.

Once we reach the gate to town, Keiuri grabs my hand. "Umm, Aradee, I should really go visit Treen and the others, or they might start worrying. But, can I have a quick hug for the road?"

"Hmm? Ah, yeah. Okay." I pull her into my arms, then give her a quick peck on the lips. "See you later, Kei~" I wrap my arms around her a bit further, then rub my cheek against hers, despite the blush that finds my cheeks once I realize what I'm doing properly. Then once I disengage, I wave to her briefly before running off to the church.

It doesn't take me long to find Virn, who frowns slightly as I approach, then her eyes widen when she realizes what I'm wearing. "You, never wear things that cute. What are you plotting?"

"Plotting? Nothing. Just wondering if you're free for adventuring. My party could use a healer, you can do that with some of your prayers, right?"

"Well, yes. But I'm not really an adventurer. I am part timing with a group of lovely ladies, including a high elf and an amazon of all things! But, I'm usually too busy here to go out with them more than a couple times a week."

"High elf, amazon?. . . Uhh, Keiuri and Treen? Gah! If I had talked to Keiuri about what I was planning, I would have known this wouldn't work!" I grab my head dramatically. "Nooo. Now what do I do?"

"Did someone give you coffee? That is a nice dress, but you could use some makeup. Maybe a couple more accessories."

"Oh yeah. Mera said I should see if you wanted to dress me up sometime. Unless you wanna go straight for something more fun?"

Virn quirks an eyebrow, then looks around. Her gaze locks onto a more senior priest, who she waves at. "I'm going to go on my lunch break, if that's okay?" After getting permission, she grabs my hand and leads the way out.

It doesn't take long to reach what I assume is her house, then she leads me down to a basement. My gaze shifts up to a pair of manacles hanging from the ceiling as she runs off to grab something. A few seconds later she comes back holding something.

"Is that a whip? What are you, gonna do with that??"

"He ha ha. You suggested something more fun. So I'll show you, exactly what sort of fun I want you for~"


A few hours later, I stumble back into our new house, definitely sore this time. Kammy takes one look at me, blushes in her odd spreading black spots way, then leads me to a room already filled with my personal belongings. A little while after I collapse face down onto my own bed, Ahnya wanders by with a smirk. Standing in the doorway with the door half open behind her.

"No luck with your healer idea? You almost look like you could use one now. Tir said he'd check if any healers were looking for a group at the local guild, so might get something that way. Would you like to join Mera and I for the evening in the master bedroom that I set aside as a shared space? We might be able to ease you outta that rough state. Or into a rougher one~"

"Mmmm. Nope. Three different girls in three days, definitely need an actual break now."

"Ah, well then. I can have Kammy attend to you in a lukewarm bath, and maybe a massage, if that'd suit you better? Also, I have a note folder for everything I intend to tell my father, if you'd like to look it over before I go back tomorrow to report that and ask permission for a few things. Mostly telling you more about hezvunt trees. Speaking of, can I have a seed? I know it'd set you back a tiny bit, but having one to bribe my father with, could certainly help with getting him to cooperate."

"If Mera read it already, I'm sure it's fine. Bath sounds great. Massage would be fine too, as long as she's gentle with my back, and ass. If she uhh, feels the need to touch around there for it?" Ahnya giggles as I toss her the weird golden ball that somehow counts as a seed.

Ahnya giggles and pushes the door the rest of the way open, showing Kammy already standing there. "Ehm. Right this way, miss?"

 

 

Not sure what I was trying to do with the "Will you change your outfit before adventuring" scene, and really don't know how to fix it so it feels less awkward. So for now, I'll just keep going. Might fix it by the time I'm ready to post? Or not. If this is still in the note, I did not.

Should'a been more ontop of skill point distribution, huh? Or I can keep treating it as background detail going forward?

Did the title freak anyone out before they learned the reason for it? Heh. Anyway, probably be a while before more functions are unlocked through unique skill analysis or the skill just finding compatible ideas it likes in a dungeon core. No promises about unlocks from material variety numbers and total material amount thresholds, or other. Wanted the contagion to be costly enough to not spam it, but exact numbers were a little hard to settle on. Also wanted it to be fairly limited. Obviously.

Also, was considering a full scene for Aradain and Virn, but there is another lewd scene I would like to write that I can fit in soon, so I'll do that when I get there instead. Plus, not sure how well I'd do with a whipping focused bdsm scene. Well, might revisit the idea, sometime?

2