Part 1: The Isles of Origin: Chapter 6: Big City Guild, Small Town Woes
326 5 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Calaide clears his throat, then holds up a measuring cord and gestures to a set of wooden model knives and small weights. "Some quick tests to see how big a knife you'll need? After that, it'll take a couple hours to make." After he measures my hands a few ways he has me grab the knives to see which seems most comfortable in my hand. Then points to the weights. I pick up the largest one. "Yes, very cute. Now which one would be best without reinforcing your body?"

I look at him with a confused expression. A moment later Dad speaks. "She hasn't come of age quite yet. Certainly doesn't know how to use energy to strengthen herself. She's just strong for her size."

"Right, uhhh. Well the biggest carving knives we make would look like a short sword for her, so let's go a size or two down." I raise the weight higher, then bring it back down to its resting place and leave it there. "But that's all we need for now."

I step back and look around the workshop again. "So, if you're done with me." I turn to look at Dad. "Can I wander around town while he works?"

"Not exactly a town, but I suppose. I want to talk with him a bit when he doesn't need to focus too much, so I'll come find you once the knife is done." Calaide starts to say something, but Dad just shakes his head and waves a hand dismissively.

"Kaaay. I wanna check out their Adventurer's Guild! Sort of at the center of the walled area? Probably find it if I go straight from the gate?" Both men nod in response. "Bye." I hoist my spear and wave with my free hand as I run back out of the building and towards the nearby gatehouse. I get through without issue, but pause slightly beyond it. Apparently the first couple blocks into the heart of the city are set up as a tent based market.

The first thing to catch my attention is a tent with sturdy tables set up in front of it. Heavy glass tanks on top of the tables have fish in them. I approach and stare at an odd short thick fish with a mouth that looks almost like lips. It seems so odd I almost think it to be a monster, so I try to get a feel for how strong it is. At which point it does seem to just be a fish. I lean closer for a better look, then suddenly it gets bigger and spiky looking, and feels like an actual threat so I jump back with a startled yelp.

A moment later I hear robust laughter and feel someone approach from the direction of the tent. "Never seen a pufferfish before, have you girl?" I turn to look at the bulky man with a deep tan wearing a short sleeved vest and odd glossy pants. Doesn't look much like a merchant to me. On top of that he is quite strong. "Well I sometimes find such fish in tide pools, and a young one like you likely wouldn't be able to visit the beaches safely."

"How'd it make itself feel more dangerous like that?" I look back to the table and my gaze sweeps over other things on the table. The tanks take up maybe half the space, but all sorts of other things surround them. Gemstones, bits of metal in odd shapes, claws, fangs, horns, and scales from monsters, and many more things I can't readily identify.

"Ahhh, you can feel the threat of things? Well, some creatures defend themselves by seeming more dangerous than they are." He takes a moment to look at my attire and gear, then nods slightly. "You seem to be an adventurer. Same with me, my party and I have made a business of gathering odd things from the beaches relatively nearby and selling them. I feel you don't have enough money to buy, nor likely the means to transport one of the fish tanks. But many of the other items are sold for a fair bit cheaper if you're looking for unusual trinkets, or the like."

My gaze settles on a straight bluish gray horn nearly as long as my spear, since it's the biggest piece that is clearly from a monster. I point towards it and look up to him. "How much for that one then?"

He scoffs slightly and rolls his eyes. "Straight for the largest item? Well, my usual contacts couldn't find any particular use for that horn, so it doesn't have much practical value. But as it could be used as a decorative piece as is, I couldn't sell it for less than a silver and a half."

I retrieve several large copper coins adding up to one and a half silvers of value and hold them out to him. "Sounds fine to me. Might have to check your stall again next time I'm in Vulstus. If you're here often enough for that?"

"Ohho, no hesitation. Interesting. I'm usually here every other day, so if I'm not here next time you're around, feel free to check back the next day." He holds a rough hand out and I pass the coins off. Then I lift the horn and sling it over my shoulder alongside my spear. "Can I interest you in anything else?"

I think about it a moment, then shrug. "How much of the smaller stuff could I get for another half silver?"

He grins broadly and looks across the tables, then points to the same one the large horn had been on. "Pick any six pieces smaller than one of your own hands, and we'll call it a deal."

I grab a few more coins and hand them over before picking out a variety of interesting parts. "I think that's plenty for today."

"Of course. May your path be well lit." He gives a slight bow, then returns to a sturdy looking chair in front of the tent.

I continue walking down the main road until I'm comfortably out of sight of the merchant and there aren't too many other people around in general, then sneak into an empty alleyway to convert the parts I purchased. The smaller things are all worth a few points for some random monsters I don't know or think much of, but the horn is something else entirely.

[80 units of Shallows Behemoth material obtained] [Subject materials partially comprised of unknown exotic substance. Substance will be analyzed separately from Recipe generation] [Recipes unlocked; Tidal Lance 1000 Units Shallows Behemoth material and -Unknown-, Behemoth Fillet 30 Units Shallows Behemoth material and 10 units any edible plant monster material]

It takes several seconds after I finish reading that lot before a follow up to the middle message pops up. [Exotic substance analysis complete. Substance is determined to be called Essence, which is recognized as highly energetic, the purpose of which is currently unknown, further analysis of Essence required for full understanding. Item Enhancement function unlocked. Items can be enhanced during creation by converting extra material into Essence which will be infused into the recipe]

"I'mma have a hard time remembering all that. . ." I sigh then start to walk towards the main street, but somebody steps in my way when I'm a few meters away.

He is tall and slim with slightly greasy looking dark hair that is brushed back. His clothing is mostly black leather, with oddly baggy pants, and an open chested short sleeved vest. He's also wearing a lot of jewelry, dark glasses similar to Calaide's visor, and has a gold tooth visible in his widely grinning mouth. "Ahh, there you are darling. I've got a bit of a business proposition for you. Ya'see, I've got some friends who would love to meet you, if you were wearing some cuter clothes at least."

I judge how strong he is. He seems a bit stronger than me, but it feels a little off for some reason. Like, awkward almost. Reminds me of Tir for a while after he went through a growth spurt? I stare at him a moment with my eyebrows furrowed, then shake my head. "Not interested." I step to the side to go around him.

He reaches towards me as I move and starts to say something. "Well you don't really ha- Aghh!" I struck his hand away with the handle of my spear. He rubs his hand then glares at me. Then he lunges towards me with both hands out, so I run the base of the spear into his gut hard enough to drive the air from his lungs, then sidestep him and strike his back with the pole to send him stumbling further into the alley.

I switch the pointy end around to face him. "You done being a creep? I said I wasn't interested. I'll start poking holes in you if I have to."

He coughs a couple times, then draws a deep breath. "Y-yeah. Sure. Whatever." He rubs at his stomach and grumbles as I back away onto the street. "What'd I even try power leveling with those expensive mercs for if I'm just gonna get beat up by little girls in an alley?"

I frown slightly as I start walking down the street again. "What does power leveling mean?" I glance over my shoulder occasionally as I go. After a while I stop at a food cart and buy several meat skewers for a few copper coins. I start snacking on one while looking for a place to take a break.

I settle on a public bench in front of a small temple. I don't recognize the symbol over the doorway. There is a clear glass dome over a bright multicolored ball. If it wasn't so colorful I'd think it was depicting the sun. Once I'm about halfway through my second skewer somebody sits next to me, with a meter or so between us. It seems to be a priest wearing robes just as colorful as the ball. I swallow my current mouthful of meat. "Sorry, not looking to convert, just wanted to sit down for a bit."

He chuckles softly. "Well, I wasn't particularly looking to proselytize either. Just saw a young lady intending to eat a frankly concerning number of meat skewers and figured she'd be interesting company for a short while. Besides, Ulluasil the Goddess of the Inner World doesn't require people to convert to her faith to freely share her blessing."

"Why bring her up if you weren't gonna, uh preach?" After a moment of thought, I hold one of my four remaining skewers out towards him.

"No no, I'm actually curious if you can eat them all. So don't worry about me. I just ate a while ago anyway." I finish the second skewer, then take a bite out of the one I tried to offer him. "What else did you expect a priest to talk about?"

"Uhh, dunno." I take another bite, then sigh. "Suppose you want to explain the blessing too?"

"Well, I don't see why not." I roll my eyes. "Ulluasil's blessing, is called a Soul Gem." He pulls a large marble out of his vest and holds it up. It is clear, but there is a mass of light within. Mostly red, with a decent bit of blue, a little yellow, and a tiny bit of a slightly off putting shimmery green. "This is of course, just a representation of the actual blessing, mind. And the Soul Gem is difficult to use fully on its own."

"Essentially, if you get one of these marbles from a follower of Ulluasil, and put your energy into it, it will create a miniature world within your soul. At that point, different energies will provide different benefits to the user. Such as increased lifespan for Ki, good health for Spiritual Energy, or improved magic resistance for mana. The effect is small enough that it'd be near impossible to notice if you don't have another blessing that helps you gain and control a great deal of energy." He pockets the gem, then takes out another one without any light.

"After that, you can meditate with the marble to do various things within your inner world. Decorative things, like sculpting the energies into amusing shapes, mostly. But it is a good way to pass the time? And it is possible to retrieve part of the energy invested into the Soul Gem at a later time, if you have need of a quick recharge."

He takes a breath, apparently intending to say more, then stops when he notices that all of the skewers are clear now. "My word, that was fast. Ha ha, suppose you're done with your break already then?" I stack the wooden skewers together then stand up. "Well, there's a bin to the side of the next building over. Please visit the House of Ulluasil again, and do consider the blessing."

I give a noncommittal hum, then run off. A little further along I finally spot the crossed sword and spear of the Guild. The building seems twice as big as the one back home. I charge in, then come to a stop as I look around. The layout is familiar, but there are a lot more counters, and all of them have lines. The Guild back home is never this busy. While I'm gawking, I hear a vaguely familiar voice shout something. "Hey Blue, finally moving up to a bigger dungeon town?"

"Huh?" I turn towards the voice. Then settle on a peculiar helmet covered in white feathers with a yellow faceplate, worn by somebody standing in one of the lines. He has lighter armor on his body, and three short spears strapped to his back. ". . . Oh, it's the bird head guy. I thought you died or somethin."

"How rude!! That's chicken head guy to you!" He cackles and raises the visor on his helmet in a way that looks like an open beak. His grinning face and yellow eyes look silly in there. "Why'd you think I was dead? I'm sure I told the guild staff in Vestal I was heading out. Guess they wouldn't have felt the need to tell that to every random adventurer there though. Eh, you didn't answer my first question."

"Riiiight. Well, just here for today. Dad's helping me get a carving knife, and I had a couple hours to waste so I figured I'd check out the Guild here. Say. You use spears, right? I was thinking I could use some lessons."  I rattle the spear on my shoulder.

"Hmmm. I was gonna take another quest after turning this one in. But if you've got a half silver or so to pay me, we could set an hour's training as a quest. That'd be about worth my time."

Another guy next to him elbows his ribs lightly. "Hey Grauh, you expect the rest of us to just take a break while you're playing around?"

The chicken head guy shrugs. "Or you could run the metal we've got so far to the smith." The other guy snorts, but doesn't say anything in response. "Alright, sounds like that's settled on my end. If you're fine with that, wait till I'm done here, then join me in that shorter line there." He points to a different counter with four people in front of it.

"Kay I'll be over, hereish." I step away from the doors to some benches along the walls. While I wait I look around more, checking how strong the various people are mostly. There are a decent number of magic users here. But they don't catch my attention too much. One person who does though, is a young man no taller than me. He has short black hair and darkly colored eyes. I'm inclined to say he should be younger, but he is really strong, so that seems unlikely.

The thing that stands out the most though, is the sword sheathed at his side. Which feels almost as dangerous as him. I've never felt a weapon's strength like that, so it seems weird. At one point I blink, and he just disappears. Maybe he's got stealth skills? I shake my head and look back to Grauh's line. Seems like his party is talking to the receptionist right now, so I stand up and walk to the other line.

By the time I even reach the line he walks up next to me. "Hey, sorry bout my friend. I know you don't swing that way."

"Swing what?" I'm not sure what he meant by that, so I furrow my eyebrows.

"You know, you're always with that green haired girl?" I tilt my head. ". . . Oh gods help her, you're dense. Ahhh, I'm sure you'll figure it out." He rubs the bridge of his nose, then closes the visor. After that, we set up the training session as an official quest, and head out to the practice field behind the building.

"Now, when it comes to spears, longer is usually better. But, long spears can be hard to maneuver in tight spaces like dungeon corridors. Of course, if all the enemies are in front of you that'd be less of an issue. Personally I like short spears that are good for melee or throwing. Typically I'll throw one at the start of a fight, then wield a second with the option to throw it, and keep the third for melee exclusively. Most spears are good for piercing or slashing, but yours looks like it's all about piercing. Could still use it as a bludgeon?" He takes one of the spears from his back and holds it out to me. "Here, toss this at one of those targets."

I raise it over my shoulder, then throw it. It falls a few meters short. "Not bad. A few more levels and you'd have hit it. You could probably find a lighter throwing spear in the meantime. Mine are all metal. Oh, another thing most people don't think of, fighting hand to hand on top of spear use." Aside from that he mostly shows me how and where to grip the spear, and gives various tips such as parrying and distancing.

Close to the end of the hour, once we've basically wrapped things up, I decide to ask something that's been bugging me. "By the way, what's 'Power Leveling'?"

"I'm not gonna power level you. Not that I think you want me to. Based on the situation, you heard the phrase somewhere and don't know what it means?" I nod. "Where did you hear it?" I explain the situation from earlier, and he sighs heavily. "Okay, I'll report the description of that guy to the guards. Try not to get in that kind of situation again. Or take it more seriously?"

He shakes his head. "Anyway. Power leveling is what you call it when someone low level parties up with higher leveled people, then the high level people kill monsters much too strong for the low level person, to level them up quickly. It is generally frowned upon, especially among adventurers. Though in a manner of speaking, it is the same as how party members who don't directly kill monsters level up. Basically, when you're in a party everybody gets a little of the energy taken from killed monsters. Though it works best for a party of five or six. Any more than that and the amount each person gains starts dropping."

After that, I sign off on his quest slip, then start heading back. Dad meets up with me about halfway, then we return to the smithy to retrieve my new knife, and begin the return trip home. Which itself is rather uneventful.


A few days later Tir and I head into town intending to meet up with Mera. When I knock on the door to her house, she answers wearing the uniform for her Dad's store. "Hellooo~ Sorry Ara, my parents asked me to help out at the store today." She leans in close. "But I did talk them into letting me out of any other obligations I might have for your birthday, so come tell me right away when you get the letter from the church." She suddenly hugs me. "I've got like, the whole day planned out!"

"Aahh, okay. What about your birthday? That's next month. What should I get you?"

She pouts slightly. "You should pick something to give me yourself! My parents have plans for it. So I can't go out with you then. But feel free to stop by." She steps back and tugs on the tunic's hem trying to adjust it. "These things don't quite fit me. Bleh. Anyway, I have to finish getting ready. See you later, have fun adventuring!"

"Uhhuh, bye." After that, Tir and I head for the guild. We look over the board, but nothing really catches our attention. So we end up talking to a couple people we know for now. A young man named Invidus a couple months older than Tir, and his younger brother who I used to think was my age, but is probably a little over a year younger, named Suedrus. After a while a middle aged, farmer by the looks of him, runs into the building. He goes straight to the counter for posting quests.

Our little group of four perks up to listen. "I'm from Nulorr, here to report that we've found a new dungeon. With goblins coming out of it. We happened across it last night, I came as soon as I could. But this is probably related to the goblins that were attacking us several days ago."

"So, basically you're saying the adventurer who took the quest to exterminate the goblins didn't follow through enough and want the dungeon exterminated on the guild's account?" The receptionist places a hand on her temple and sighs. "Very well. Trying to fight that claim would be a hassle. But don't expect favorable treatment in the future."

I stand up and walk towards the counter. Flurian at the other counter looks like she wants to say something, but hesitates when she sees the other three following me. We take the quest, with a slight skeptical look from the farmer at me and the mousy looking Suedrus. But given that the other two are strapping young men, he doesn't raise a fuss.

When we arrive in Nulorr, the farmer leads us to the village elder for greetings, then shortly after to the dungeon's entrance. We arrive just in time to see a group of ten goblins wander out. The farmer runs away, and the rest of us prepare for battle. Or rather, Invidus charges in with both of his hand axes up, roaring with bloodlust. He scatters the goblins, practically cutting one in half before charging another. Then his brother sneaks in with a knife in hand while the goblins are distracted.

I shrug, then dash in to stab one through the back. Tir stays at a distance and launches magic at any goblins who try to flee. I pull my spear out and look past the goblin to pick another target. But then the one I attacked turns around and shouts at me, holding up a crude stone knife. I stab it again, and launch the small creature into the air, it slams into the stone of the dungeon's entrance.

The goblin gets up and comes at me again. "What in the name of damp tinder?" I stab it through the heart hard enough that my spear comes out of its back, and it pushes forward and slashes my arm with its knife. "Gya!!?" I hold on to the spear with my injured hand and punch it's face with the other. I feel its skull crack under my fist, then grab its throat and slam it into the ground ripping the spear free in the same motion.

It flails around randomly, apparently unable to sense me, but still trying to fight. "What's wrong with this thing?" I look around at the battlefield. Most of the goblins are down and injured, with a couple seemingly dead despite the weird vitality the one I'm fighting has. For instance the one with its torso split in twain isn't moving.

I turn back to mine, and stomp on its throat until its head comes off, at which point it stops moving. Then when I'm sure Invidus and Suedrus aren't looking, I convert it. [5 Units of Goblin Material obtained, 5 Units of Vampire Material obtained] [Recipes unlocked; Disease Vial 10 Goblin material, Stench Vial 10 Goblin material, Holy Oil Vial 10 Vampire material, Blood Pills 5 per 10 Vampire material]

"They're vampires?! Uhh, looks like they just take a lot more damage than they should to kill. Just aim to take their heads off." I use my spear to sever the spines of the goblins that are down but not dead. Once they're all dead Invidus calms down. "So, what was that about, anyway?"

"Ehh, my class is Berserker. So I tend to go overboard. Looks like that's needed here though." With that, he leads the way into the dungeon. The first room only has a few goblins in it, and is quickly dealt with. But, there are two paths leading forward. "Suppose we should split up? If we destroy the dungeon then all of its monsters go with it. Including any that are already outside bothering the villagers. So we should hurry."

With that, Tir and I take the right path, while the other two go left. Once we're away from the others I tell Tir about what recipes I unlocked from the goblin. As we fight through the dungeon, we gradually come across stronger monsters. The base goblins are hardly a problem despite how hard they are to kill, but goblin assassins and hobgoblins are almost as strong as me.

After six rooms, my body is starting to feel weird. It's sort of like the burning sensation from exercising a lot, but it's pleasant? When we enter the next room, I see a glowing purple gem with gold undertones floating in the middle of the chamber. "Guess we hit the jackpot!" I start running towards the gem. Then something big appears between me and it.

I skid to a halt, then jump back as it takes a swipe at me. It is almost three meters tall, and rather broad. It has gross looking blue-gray skin, and looks similar to a goblin, aside from being huge and bulky. It doesn't have a weapon, but it probably doesn't need one. It seems about as strong as Tir, which loath as I am to admit, means it's stronger than me right now. I lunge forward to stab it in the chest, but my spear only penetrates a few centimeters through its thick skin and the tough muscle underneath.

I jump back as it tries to grab at me, then stab at it again with my slightly better reach. By the time I stab it a third time, the first wound seems healed. While I'm shocked by that, the giant backhands me away with a roar, apparently getting irritated by all the jabbing. Now that I'm out of the way, Tir starts casting spells at it. His first shot is magic missile, which clings to the creatures chest slowing eating into it. Then while that's still happening, he casts firebolt at it.

A large patch of its skin burns away and it roars in anger before charging Tir, he casts his newly obtained third spell, earth spike, which raises a portion of the ground into a forward pointing tip, then launches it. His timing leaves it sticking out of the ground still with the creature runs into it, then launches it, knocking the monster over.

I wipe some blood off of my face and blink a few times to clear my left eye. Then I jump to my feet and run over and stab the monster in the the neck. I dance away as it lashes out. Tir casts another magic missile at it, then shouts as it rolls around trying to lift itself up. "It's regenerating too fast, and I'm low on mana, we should run!"

"No way. You should be able to take it down and we're right here at the goal. I'll distract it, you recover and think about how to kill it!" I stab the monster several times in quick succession, more intent on hurting it that driving my spear in, making it easier to pull back and stab again. That makes it mad, causing it to chase me across the room as I run away, occasionally dodging to the side of it and taking extra stabs at it.

"How? Uhhh, it just regenerates though. It, no. The damage from the firebolt hasn't healed yet. Is it, a troll?" He mutters to himself, then after a moment. "Okay! I've got it, make a couple of those Holy Oil Vials and break them on it!"

I'm against a wall, and the monster charges at me, so I sidestep, then kick off the wall as it runs into it. Then once I'm a few steps away I listen to what he said and throw two vials into the creature's back, it turns around so I throw a third at its face. It groans in discomfort and starts scratching at itself where the oil is. Then a streak of flame crosses the room and touches the oil on its side, a moment later the entire thing is covered in lightly gold tinted flames and it is roaring in pain.

It rolls around on the ground, which only spreads the flaming oil, which just makes it burn hotter. After several seconds it comes to a stop. "Huuuh. That uhh, seems like it'll be useful later too." Suddenly, the odd feeling I've had resolves into the familiar feeling from that morning a few days again. "Oh hey, I leveled up again!"

"What?! Shoot, I'm going to have to work harder." Tir slumps slightly. Then looks to the side awkwardly.

". . . Well. You're, honestly stronger still. You'know, overall. With your magic and strength counted together." He looks up at me with a wide smile. "Hey! I said with both of them. I'd still win a fist fight! Though you might have an advantage at a range."

I convert the monster, then turn my gaze to the core. I walk up to, and jab it with my spear, shattering it and causing its fragments to fall down in front of me. ". . . Do uhh, dungeon cores count as monsters, you think?"

[25 Units of Dungeon Core Material obtained] [Dungeon Core identified as Complex Divine Created type, unable to replicate. Alternate recipes will be generated] [Recipes Unlocked; Simple Mana Type Dungeon Core 20 Dungeon Core material, Simple Ki Type Dungeon Core 30 Dungeon Core material, Simple Spiritual Energy Type Dungeon Core 50 Dungeon Core material]

"That uhh. That's really something." I explain everything it just said to Tir. "Think we should make our own dungeon?"

"Could be worthwhile. Not right here though. Somewhere on Dad's land, near Vestal, so they just expand the town instead of building a new one."

 

Fun fact, I actually wrote the next chapter first. It'll be released exactly twenty four hours after this one. Also, I'm trying to make my own expletives based on the idea of a religion following a Goddess of Guiding Flame. So Fog and wet tinder/wood? Seems like a fun thing to do, if it works.

15