Part 1: The Isles of Origin: Chapter 20: Ennui
96 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We reach the final room and find Rin rolling around discharging lighting into the floor. She twists around to stare at us, vertical pupils dilated into thin slits. Rin coughs and mutters a mild apology before transforming into her beastkin form again, then holds a hand out to Ahnya while looking sheepish. A couple minutes later, she's dressed in a white and black maid outfit that looks more like a costume than an actual uniform. But certainly covers more than her prior bikini set.

Only after Rin is calmed down and dressed does Ahnya set me down. She rubs at my legs, back, and shoulders lightly. "How you doing? Good to stand on your own yet?"

"Nnn-no need to fuss. I eh, thought it'd be cute to ask you to carry me. Not sure I seriously meant you to do it. . . Hehem. I can stand fine." I look down at my feet. "Mm, thank you though. It was, interesting." I abruptly turn away from her. "Now uh, where's that secret passage for the Spiritual Energy Core?"

"Stairway to your right. I made it big. Maybe not, rampaging lighting cat big, but big enough."

I turn my head to look. After a moment I notice the passage hidden in the shadow under a light. "Ah." I snicker slightly as I approach the steep rough steps leading down. The light in the stairway is a bit dim, but there is a visible glow from around a corner at the bottom.

At the bottom of the stairs, I take two sharp right turns into a short hallway leading to a large space right under the last room of the Storm section. The light in this room isn't quite as bright as the other ones, but it doesn't seem to be expending Mana.

The other girls file in right after me, so I shake my head and look at Ahnya.

"Hmm? Oh right. Yes, one moment." Ahnya reaches into her bag, then pulls out a cracked golden ball about the size of one of my fists, it has a sort of armor plate shaped surface. "Should be this one." She pulses Mana through it, trying to do, something I can't even guess at. Then hums and nods. "I know it looks weird compared to most, metallic instead of crystalline, but it was certainly operating as a Dungeon Core."

I take the golden Core from her and stare at it a moment. It's lighter than it looks like should be. Before my moment of observation comes to a close I'm interrupted.

"Ah, first. Does that feel safe to Convert? Might as well test that new sense, no?"

"Oh, uhhm. Don't feel anything?" I close my eyes to consider it more carefully. Then I can just barely feel a presence from the Core, no more imposing than the feeling I get from mundane plants. "Oh, there we go. Pretty sure it's safe."

"'Pretty sure'? I'd like a bit more certainty."

"It feels about as threatening as the garden next to my house. S'that good enough?"

"Not as reassuring as you'd think, but since you're saying it like that, I suppose you meant it to be."

"Huh?" I consider her words a few seconds, then shake my head and convert the Core.

[460 Units of Dungeon Core Material obtained] [Dungeon Core identified as Thrice Blessed Complex Gauntlet type, Blessings unable to be replicated] [Recipe Unlocked; Complex Gauntlet type Dungeon Core 100 units Dungeon Core material and 100 units any monster material]

"Wow. That's enough that I could give Dan all the Core types I have. Cept the Malice one, I guess. Since that has an unknown material."

Ahnya pinches my cheek. "Hey, I told you not to use Malice. Why would it be a good idea to give him a special Core for it?" After a moment her hand moves up to pat my head. "Anyway, care to fill us in? I'm a bit interested, that was something of an unusual Dungeon."

"Sure. I mean, doesn't really say much here. But have a look." I share the screen around then open another menu in preparation to create new Cores. "Thrice Blessed sounds fancy, but I guess that part can't be made. Hmm, like the first Dungeon Core I converted, said it was Divinely made? Couldn't make it, but it unlocked the three basic energy types."

"Simple enough, it just means it was given three Divine Blessings. Though whether that was three blessings from one God, or it was blessed by three Gods, I can't say. Suppose I would be hard pressed to say which details of the Dungeon were due to the blessings either. Though perhaps I can work some of it out with Dan's assistance. Interesting that it requires monster materials as well. Do you think that would give the Core access to the monster used for material, or does it just need something extra to work?"

"I dunno? The weaver one needs spider material. . . Anyway. How bout goblins? Have plenty of material for those. Ah, and a Spiritual Energy Core. Er, enhanced one cause Dan wanted to see what the enhancement does."

Ahnya had been staring at me with a quirked eyebrow after I breezed past the mention of spiders, but her eyes go wide when I mention enhancement. "I'm sorry, what what does? Enhancement sounds like something that would have been, pertinent to bring up?"

"Oh, it was a thing I unlocked a while ago. It was the Behemoth, even. Something about Essence. Maybe I can bring the screen back up?" When it does appear before my eyes, I share it with Ahnya.

[Exotic substance analysis complete. Substance is determined to be called Essence, which is recognized as highly energetic, the purpose of which is currently unknown, further analysis of Essence required for full understanding. Item Enhancement function unlocked. Items can be enhanced during creation by converting extra material into Essence which will be infused into the recipe]

After a few seconds, Ahnya sighs. "That is, helpful. Even just knowing that it is a substance rather than an energy is meaningful. I should be able to separate a sample from that corpse. Then, who knows what? Perhaps I'll pass it off to Andrelos to study? He's always been a more focused magical researcher than me. Then again, if it's something otherworldly, Alcene might have more interest? Ah, later. For now, feel free to pop both new Cores on Dan right away."

I tilt my head, then open another screen for Dungeon Core creation before selecting the enhanced Spiritual Energy Core on one and the Gauntlet Core with Goblin materials on the other. In a flash, two new Cores appear just above my outstretched hands. The new Gauntlet Core looks just like the old one, but much smaller. Perhaps a tenth of the size. The Spirit Core is very round, and translucent with odd flowing gray shimmer lines, it has a tiny hint of red at the center.

"Alright, I'll peek at Spirit first, since I've been waiting on it. Hmm. Zero of one hundred. No passive gain even with people present? Hope it's not quite so bad as only when someone dies. Anyway. Absorb, Crystalize, Expand Spirit Field, all as expected. Five more entries though? What a treat! Manifest Spectral Entity, basic monster option, I guess. Construct Spiritual Frame? Ehhhh. . . I'll figure it out? Spirit Frame zero of zero of ten? A counter for Spirt frames? Why three different numbers? Okaay. Ah, and here's the bonuses, clearly. Essence zero of ten, and Essence Cycling. Oh? It comes with a description! How dandy. Ehem, 'Expend Spiritual Energy to grant a Spectral Entity a sliver of Essence, then when it returns to you, you'll gain that Essence in turn, which you can insert into Spirit Frames, it shall always accompany them.' Ehh. Kay. Bit helpful. I guess."

"Death is certainly a source for Spiritual Energy. Otherwise, much like Mana or Ki, you should be able to pick up the remnants after appropriate techniques or directed emissions. Hells, you might even be able to grab a little when a Priest prays. Certainly can't recommend you draw too hard from that source though. Wouldn't want the wrong sort of attention." Ahnya chuckles darkly at that.

"No ma'am I would not."

"Heh, good boy." Ahnya shoos me away from the Cores, then flicks her fingers at the Spirit Core from a distance. There is an odd whooshing sensation and a heavy feeling, but no visible effect.

Dan groans. "Oh, that was a gut punch. And no wonder. Full up. With extra foreign Spirit in the field." The Spirit Core has creeping lines of the odd clear gray rising from the surface and becoming the new surface. After it has almost doubled in size Dan sighs. "There we go. And here you go." A small grayish crystal drops to the floor in front of me.

"Mmm? Oh right." I tap the hard to see thing and convert it.

[Nascent Spirit Crystal Absorbed. . . Spirit Infusion Submenu Unlocked]

I tilt my head, then open the new menu. Only to be confronted by a long list of words with a '0%' sign next to them. I furrow my eyebrows. "Abdominal arteries?" I shake my head and swipe the list upwards. When the words stop flickering by, something sensible shows up. "Ah, right eye!" I tap the option, changing its '0%' to '5%'. My eye feels odd for a moment, vaguely blurry. But after blinking a couple times, it clears up.

"Alright, now what did you do?"

I look up at Ahnya's question. "No idea!" After that I notice an odd distortion in the air off to the right side of Ahnya, similar to a heat haze, so I turn my head to look at it. It seems a little off, so I try closing my right eye and lose track of it, then I open my right eye and close the left to stare some more.

"Will you stop staring at me? Creepy enough when the fae do it. I don't have like, an actual form to look at, so like, don't look at me." There is an odd pause from Dan after he says that, then the haze moves side to side. "She said, 'right eye' and now can see an incorporeal spirit. Hmmmm."

"See is a little strong. There's just a, blur in the air." I tilt my head. "Wait, if I'm seeing you, shouldn't you be, everywhere?"

"Kinda. But I'm uhh, more concentrated where I'm paying attention, I think. Something there that Fae can see when I'm looking at them, at least."

"Right. Well, I'm just gonna share these menus with Ahnya." I follow through with that statement, after shrugging.

"Hmm." Ahnya stares at them a long moment. "It seems this menu allows you to add Spirit to parts of your body, for some reason. Given it enabled you to see Dan, perhaps you could even, touch ghosts, if you infused your hands, for example." She shrugs. "Suppose there could be other benefits I cannot guess at, but it should be useful for fighting incorporeal monsters? More importantly, did they show up in your skill enhancement menu?"

"Oh uhh. It took a few Mana crystals before the options were shown. Or, is the crystal count enough?" I check the menu, seeing entries for 'Ki Crystals' and 'Nascent Spirit Crystals'. "Ah, they are there, though the Ki one doesn't show that, refinement thing?"

"Proof of concept is fine. I gather that you would prefer to gain them through actual combat later. Dan, anything to say about the Gauntlet Core?"

"Ah? Just a sec, don't know how to. . . Oh, just poke it like the other core I accessed. Okay. Uhh. Interesting. Looks like the, basic way it works is to establish rooms, then set battle conditions in those rooms, after that, it has monsters fight amongst themselves or against invaders, to benefit the winner. I only have two battle conditions to start, though it seems the Core can absorb other monsters to increase its level and gain more that way. Current conditions are 'Level Rush' where if two monsters at the same level fight to the death, the winner is guaranteed to level up, and 'Treasure Accumulation' where a treasure chest nearby is filled with things of value based on the number and strength of anything that dies within the room. If the monsters win, that value will become DP for the Core, if Invaders win, they can take the treasure. Ah, and it started with Goblins as its first monster."

"I see. In that case, I'm fairly sure I know one more battle condition you'll gain. When monsters in the dungeon I challenged died, the one who slew them was healed and had their stamina and energies restored, to an extent. Not quite sure how the other odd details I noticed would fit into that, exactly. I shall consider it further, and consult the party that went with me on that delve." She nods. "Now, one more thing. Lil Blue, I would like you to make an Enhanced item for me. Another thing to study in relation to the Behemoth's essence. To start, how about we make another Spawn Box? Specifically, to make a monster that you want more material of for an item you want to make. Then I'll kill enough of them that you can make two of the item. Both Enhanced if you like, or just the one you'd give me, if that is how you prefer."

"That, sounds fine I guess? Could get another False Unicorn Spear? Preferred that to this staff. Er there was another weapon I liked the sound of more. Which was it again?" I recycle the Iron Spine Bo Staff and open the pole weapon search. "Aha! Dark Guandao, that sounded really cool. Er, wait. Maybe I should do something else?. . ."

Ahnya is staring at me again. "Excuse me, what did you just do to that staff?"

I tilt my head. "Recycled it? Get some material back."

Ahnya rubs her eyes and sighs. "Okay, just. Uhh. Can you, decide to bring up, every Monster Conversion menu you've seen and show all of them to me? Because your absentmindedness leaves me with no certainty if I've seen everything important."

I blink a couple times. Then try. I stare in surprise at the mass of menus that pop up, then pass em over to Ahnya.

It takes her a few minutes to read through them. "Okay, seems like that's everything of particular import, for now. Though I will ask you to show me the item descriptions of everything you can, later. May I ask why you decided on the Dark Guandao, then considered changing your mind?"

"I uhh, Iron Spiders are, strong for here, right?" My gaze shifts to the side, coincidentally landing on Rin, who is trying not to laugh.

"Mmm. I see, a bit afraid of spiders, are you? Well, that's fine. You can just make the box, then get some distance while I slaughter the big scary bugs~"

I pout, then huff. "Normal spiders don't bother me. I don't know why the giant ones are worse."

Mera leans on my side. "Snakes for me. Haven't seen any really big ones, but I think they're all just as bad."

Ahnya giggles. "I have a couple girls to introduce to you two. Hmm, I even thought of Silvie this morning. Coincidentally. Anyway, Silvie for Mera, and Grenthia for Lil Blue. That should be, amusing."

Rin mutters something I barely hear. "My, Mistress is such a wicked woman sometimes."

Ahnya shushes her, then smiles at Mera and I. "Now then, Spawn Box and Iron Spiders?"

"Ehem. One moment. I could, reasonably work with the Shallows Behemoth in the Ice section, but could you, uhh. Do that in the Metal section? I mean, I'll be moving these new Cores around a fair bit anyhow. But, thematically. It just, sounds perfect to go over there. Might give one to that other Dungeon too. Long as things with her work out. Ehem. I'll just, lead you through some secret passages real quick, kay?"

With a flash and a vortex of magical wind a new tunnel opens up about midway back down the path we came through. I stare at it, then shrug.

Ahnya sighs and nods. At the end of the new passage is a larger chamber. After I make the box I check the tokens option. It takes five units per level, so the forty points I have can make level eight Iron Spiders. Since that is what would be fastest, I toss all of them into it and back away to the tunnel. After the first one is spawned, Ahnya crushes it nearly flat against the floor with some kind of magic. When I convert it, it is worth eighty points. 

"This is, going to take a while isn't it? Still, ten per level, might not be bad. Not quite certain." Ahnya waves a hand. "Keep em coming, Dan."

After far too many giant spiders, crushed, split in half, cooked alive, rusted away till their insides become their outsides, or any number of other things, I finally have the one thousand two hundred points to make two Enhanced Dark Guandao. They appear on the floor before me. They are entirely made of a dark metal, and each has an odd, distinct pattern etched into every surface. One is sort of, hexagon patterned, and the other has marks like waves. Both are about two meters long, with the last half meter being a single edged curved sword like head. After a moment of staring, I notice that they feel slightly dangerous, like the sword of that odd dark haired guy I saw in Vulstus' guildhall the first time I was there.

After a moment I shrug and pick up the wave patterned one, then almost fall over before adjusting my stance. "Whoa, heavy. Almost lost my balance. Hehe."

"It's a little over twice your weight." Ahnya chuckles, then picks up the other weapon before shoving it point first into her bag. "So, no surprise there. Still, with the Art of Movement, and your ridiculous Very High Strength rating, it should be manageable, with some practice. For now though. How bout I escort you and Mera home, and look into my own accommodations. The Guild should have some rooms, but I may look into inns instead." She blushes lightly. "I also have something to discuss with Mera about her plans. After that, I'll come back here to help Dan with his energy reserves, and discuss my other business with him. Or, in the morning at the latest."

"Yeah sure, whenever's fine. Uh. Quick question though. What are demons like?"

"What lead to that? That question is too vague. What will you ask next? 'What are animals like?' or 'What are people like?' No. That doesn't even cover it. Demons are practically their own whole kind of life, given that there are Demon versions of plants and fungi, as well as Demons that are alive, but unlike any other lifeform."

Dan hums. "Uhuh. Interesting. Anyway, I was feeding every monster type I have into the Gauntlet Core to gain new battle conditions. One of em is 'Demonic Tribute'. Which summons a demon based on the number, strength, and nature of creatures that die during a battle. Just wondering if I should avoid using it, or what?"

"That, would require an extensive amount of testing. It should be fine. Just pay attention to the things you summon. Demons can be weird, a plant like demon might grow up to become a Dreloth, or a dragon like Demon. I imagine that Sapient Demons, or Daemons would be rather highly rated. It's only at that point that it'd be especially risky to summon them. As for their like, personality or unifying traits. Ehh. Highly varied. Most non-Daemon demons act about like the things they seem like by default. Though Demons do tend to feed on Mana and Spirit. I think Daemons all feed on emotions or ideas on top of that. Funnily enough, past that I'd say Demons are fairly similar to Fae. Being energy based instead of natural biology. They even have their own unique energy type similar to the kind Fae use. Though they use Mana and Spirit more often than Fae."

Ahnya stretches her arms overhead. "Start small to see what you get. Work your way up, and once you start getting Demons that are too strong for your current creatures to beat one on one, don't go higher for the time being. That's, what I'd say." She looks back to the tunnel. "Well, later then."

Ahnya leads the way out. Once we leave the actual dungeon, Fluria stops us with the question, "Any loot to declare?" Doing her best to look serious seated on a segment of a log that she dragged into the entrance.

"Ah, no. I got some money for selling the metal I got last time. But nothin else. Doubt that counts for this time?"

"It does not, no. But you didn't collect more? Or even the Mana crystals?"

"Search my bag if you want. You won't find any."

Fluria sighs. "Okay. And that, umm, spear?"

I can't think of a way to explain that, but Ahnya interrupts. "Adventurers don't have to declare equipment they intend to use. There is however a second one that I'm keeping to study. If you can estimate a price on it, I'll pay the tax." She pulls the other one out of her bag to show.

"I can't tell much. But the estimated valuation is twenty silver, so the tax would be four. One of which, you may as well hand to her now."

"No need to get snippy. Besides, that isn't exactly standard procedure, now is it?" She returns the polearm to the bag and hands over four coins. "Good day to you." With that, Ahnya walks away.

I stare a moment, then follow. "Do you even know where you're going?"

"Ha, well. Not exactly. But you did point out the general direction before." She ruffles my hair. "You can lead the way if you want." Her claws slide through my hair, carefully not touching my scalp, as she draws her hand away.

"Hehmm. This way works for a while, then we should turn on a trail in the trees up ahead."

Just before we get to the point where we would turn off she pauses to look at something. "Well, that's curious."

"What?" I follow her gaze, not seeing anything.

Mera looks around then hesitantly speaks up. "Right, I think that's about where that odd named monster, as mister Tiruse called it, is. We were gonna fight it once we're strong enough. Its got a weird, camouflage thing."

"Tiruse? Pff. Who names their child serious bear? Or, better yet, what sort of person earns a name like that as an infant?" Ahnya snickers as she vanishes from sight appearing again a fair ways away.

"Dad's name means serious bear? Wait, does that mean Tir is serious child? Ha."

When Ahnya touches the side of the invisible air, it sort of peels back away from her, leaving an opening that she looks through curiously. Then a moment later she reappears at our side, and the bubble slowly closes up again.

"Seems it's fine for now. You should be able to handle it with a couple more levels."

I think back to how strong Vauneil was, as well as the smaller monsters around it. "Mmm, it'll still be stronger than me at level eight?"

"A bit, yes. But what's the point of skills, skills, and gear, and working together, and whatnot, if people don't get to the point where they can beat monsters stronger than they are?"

". . . Why skills twice?"

"One for class skills, magic and the like, and the other for practical combat skill, like how you wield a spear, footing, knowing when and where to attack, and so on."

"Kay." I scratch my cheek, then lead on.

When we get home, Tir is there, and he stares in shock at Ahnya for several seconds before she smirks and hands him the mage primer book. "Consider this a present from Lil' Blue~" Then she giggles as she walks away with Mera and Rin in tow.

Tir stares at the book, then looks at me, then towards the other girls as they walk away, then back to me. "Seriously, what the fuck?"

I laugh, shake my head, then head in to grab a change of clothes before running off to the river to wash away the sweat of the day.


First thing in the morning after breakfast and morning chores, I head into town, practicing with my new weapon a bit as I walk through the woods. I find a few monsters, but nothing noteworthy.

On a whim I head over to Granny Viritas' bakery, hoping to get a fruit scone or the like as a bonus to breakfast. She asks me to run a few errands, buying a barrel of fruit and carrying it to her store, drawing a few buckets of water from the well, and brining in firewood for the day, then I walk away with a fine prize. A thin flat cake rolled up and filled with fluffed cream and slices of fresh fruit. A fruit crepe, she called it.

I occasionally take a bite as I walk towards the Adventurer's Guild. I get there about halfway through the crepe. But, there is a group of people hanging out in front of the building. They seem inconspicuous enough. A tall blond man, and four women with a variety of appearances. The smallest, an elf, or a small half elf, has even brighter blond hair than the man. There is a rabbit beastkin, probably demihuman since she only seems to have the ears and tail of a rabbit, with brown hair and fur. The third woman is a red haired human, even more buxom than Mera, but a bit shorter. The fourth is a woman about my size with tan skin and brown hair, she's wearing clothes that show off her abs and arms. They're all at least a bit higher level than me, the man is the lowest, at only level ten, but none of the women is over level fifteen. Despite them looking mostly normal, something feels.

Off.

Wrong.

There is a clingy, cloying energy in the air. And each of the women has an odd, but faint, black-pink mist hanging about their heads.

As I stand there, staring at the odd group, forgotten crepe in hand, the man seems to notice me, sending a creepy grin my way that he seems to expect to come across as a charming smile. The women have eyes only for him though, and titter like characters in a bad play in response to the expression. After a few seconds of me only squinting at him, he scowls, then grins even more disgustingly.

He holds out a hand in my direction, despite the several meters that stand between us, then a pink-black tentacle stretches out from his hand, reaching towards me. I jump back from the disturbing grasping limb. It coils back against itself before sinking back into his arm. The man's expression turns confused. Then, finally he speaks, only to mutter something as if asking himself. "Why didn't it work? And why did she move, away?"

After a moment, he shrugs one shoulder, then shoos the women away enough that he can pose with his hands spread slightly, as if offering me a hug from that distance. But tentacles stretch out from both hands, spreading wide before reaching forward.

I backflip over the wide swung limbs, dropping the half eaten crepe as I grasp my Dark Guandao with both hands, landing with my feet wide and the weapon held forward defensively. "Would you stop that? It's creepy. And humans aren't supposed to have tentacles, ya freak."

"Tentacles? Sounds fun, but no." He looks down at himself, as if looking for something that isn't there, even as they retract into him again. "More importantly, how are you avoiding my Lust? That, doesn't even make sense. Still, you're cute enough that I'll keep trying." He strikes a pose, left arm over his chest, the hand holding the elbow of the other, while his right hand rests next to his jaw. Then several tentacles emerge from his back, spreading wide and swinging randomly in my direction.

After swiping at one with the blade of my weapon does nothing, I jump away again, then bolt down a side street to get away from him. I hear his shouting voice behind me. "Girls! Don't let her get away! I think she has some rare power!"

The first one around the corner is the tan woman. The only one I'd say is physically stronger than me, going by the feelings I got from them. I turn again, then use Art of Deception to disappear into the shadow of a wall. She runs right past me, until I strike her in the back of the head with the pommel of my weapon, knocking her to the ground hard. I duck into shadow again before the others can catch up.

The next one to come around is the rabbit beastkin. She finds the tan woman rubbing the back of her head and standing up unsteadily, then laughs at her. "Keep failing like that and Master will ditch you in no time. Keh he he."

"Shut it, bunny slut, I can still kick your ass." She draws a heavy looking pair of thick short swords. The beastkin takes a step back. "Ha, not for you. The new bitch is a rogue. Got me from the shadows. . . Keiuri, get in here!" The elf comes around the corner, the curvy woman a half pace behind her. "Light!"

The elf wastes a moment, during which I get behind the tan woman, before a bright light appears over the elf's hand. Most of the women suddenly turn to look once I'm somewhat visible behind the tan woman, but I swing my guandao, slamming the haft against the tan woman's ribs, then lunge forward with the point aimed for the elf, since she's the highest level lady, and clearly the only magic user.

The human woman lunges forward with her shield held up, getting between me and the elf even as the tan woman falls to the ground clutching her side. The force of my spear thrust knocks the woman backwards, into the elf. Then suddenly the beastkin kicks me in the side of the head, causing me to drop my weapon and sending me reeling until I fall on top of the tan woman, who shouts in pain a moment, then suddenly grapples me. Twisting around and trapping my arms in an awkward position.

The beatkin yelps in pain when the heavy weapon lands on her other foot while she still has the other held up in an awkward pose, seemingly just showing off her legs.

I take a deep breath. "Secret art, pan-"

The tan woman, clearly thinking I was up to something, releases one of my hands to cover my mouth with one of hers. I elbow her in the ribs where I'd hit her before, then when that doesn't work, bite her hand. I can draw blood, but don't manage much more before the rabbit beastkin locks her legs around my shoulder, and pulls my arm down with both of hers. A few seconds after that, the busty human sits on my legs, helping to hold me down. I barely spy the elf a ways away, breathing deeply and staring ahead blankly, having a bit of a near death experience, since my last proper attack had gotten about a quarter meter from her chest.

After a minute or so of this pileup that would probably be kind of hot, in other circumstances, the blond man comes strolling around the corner at a leisurely pace. "Ah, excellent job, my lovelies." He pats the elf on the head. "You okay, Keikei? Good." Despite the question, he doesn't wait for a response as he slips past her. He looms over me, looking down with a cold expression. "You sure are, resistant for someone wearing a collar, aren't you?" He reaches down and grabs the bell on my collar, shaking it lightly and humming in a questioning tone.

My anger flares, and Ennui flickers across my skin like a dark blue flame in response. My teeth grind harder into the tan woman's hand, even as the blood pouring down my chin flashes into water, she doesn't even seem to mind the pain with him this close.

His hand moves up to touch my chin, I struggle against the tan woman, trying to stop biting her to start biting him. But her hand stays over my mouth. "Might as well get this over with now then." He steps back, just enough to strike another silly pose, a tentacle stretches down from the hand that isn't holding his hair away from his forehead. It wraps around my neck, an odd distant sensation touching my skin and wrapping over my collar. . .

The blue flame coating me flashes up his tentacle as if it were made of oil, the pink-black color quickly being overwhelmed by deepest blue. Drowned out in a tide of darker emotion.

The man staggers back, tears welling in his eyes, before he collapses bonelessly to the packed dirt of the alley. "There's no point, is there?" He sighs heavily, then cries silently on the ground.

The women start to seem confused, relaxing their grip on me. The elf even speaks. "What am I, doing?" After a few seconds her gaze lands on the weeping man, the haze remains for a moment, before the anger shines through. "You!" A bright light shines from her hand onto him, then a moment later it intensifies until he bursts into actual flames, yelling in pain, but not trying to move away. As if the pain is less bothersome than the feelings weighing him down.

The tan women suddenly releases me with a shout. "Hey, I wanna hit him too!" She shoves me, the human woman, and the beastkin away, snatches up my Guandao, and cleaves the man's head off with it in one mighty blow. The human looks on in disgust, but doesn't object. The beastkin still looks, confused. The tan woman drops my weapon to the side, then looks at her hand. "Damn girl, you got a helluva bite."

"I uhh, sorry? I'm not really sure what's going on." I carefully pull my hand away from the beastkin, who doesn't resist the action. The curvy woman stands up, then offers a hand, to help me stand up. "Thanks?"

She waves me off. Then the elf approaches. "Well, the simple version, is that this." She kicks the smoldering corpse. "Monster of a man. Was controlling us with a unique skill. Lust, he called it." She spits on the corpse then turns away. "The less said about that, the better. You, somehow resisted it, and I don't know. Turned it back on him with, sadness? Despair?"

"Is that what Ennui is? Huh. . . Wait, did you just call him a monster?" I think back to what Ahnya said, then shrug.

[50 Units Human Material obtained] [Recipes unlocked; Small Lesser Stamina Potion 20 Human Material, Small Lesser Mind Potion 20 Human Material, Throwing Stone 1 Human Material. Adult only recipe enhanced, all three base dildo types may now be made as replicas of the members of specific example sapient persons, given they willingly model the process at least once, though the material amount may need to be adjusted] [Unique Skill analyzed; Lust] [Function Unlocked through Unique Skill analysis; Aphrodisiac Secretion. Certain Adult only recipes may now be enabled to produce small amounts of a potion that works as both lubricant and stimulant.]

The girls all shout in surprise at the disappearing corpse. "Ehe, sorry again. I figured that would be, convenient for you guys. No evidence." I glance to the side, avoiding matching any of their gazes. Then I notice a small glowy brand flickering in the corner of my vision. When I focus on it a menu pops up.

 

New Native Skills Description
Lesser Lust Resistance A weak resistance effect that protects the user from unnatural attraction effects, so long as they will it.
Minor Despair Resistance A mild resistance effect that protects the user from unnatural depression effects, so long as their will is strong.
Minor Touch of Despair A mild mental attack that damages the target's will and sanity.

 

 

Hadn't quite intended to get into that scenario and explain that aspect of Ennui just yet, but then it occurred to me that Ahnya would have explained that too if I didn't have Blue accident her way into figuring it out! Felt like it'd be a little odd to have one character tell another everything about her own rare energy type. Like "Tee hee, I worked it all out."

2