Dungeon Side Story: Chapter 4: Plans
91 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once Aradain, Ahnya, Mera, and Rin have left, I take a moment to check in on the other mortals running around my Dungeon. The smith trio are taking a rather lax approach in their wanderings. They are generally traveling together, currently in the Metal section, but split up to search each room. Though they do seem to have a surprising amount of luck finding the chests with metal ingots in them. Or rather, Argentite as they apparently named it. Still, no problem there.

The guild receptionist hanging out in the very first little room shouldn't be an issue either. I am a bit concerned about the Priest, literally robed in silver fire. He's still just praying before the brazier I made, but I'm sure he's powerful. I am uncertain about his exact relationship with Ahnya, but they didn't seem to get along. However, going on some of the things I've overheard, I suspect there might be, an interesting opportunity here.

"Greetings. Hello. Pardon me, if I could have a moment of your time? Hmmm. Maybe with a little gravitas? Ahh, overthinking, just go for it." Talking to myself to figure out an approach was, getting me nowhere. Sol already tenuously approved of my idea, but I'm still unsure of how to approach. So I just go to the tiny mental effort to project my next line to him. "Greetings Priest. I have a potentially peculiar request to make of you. I will endeavor to make it worth your while, of course."

Despite me addressing him, he keeps praying. Just when I'm starting to wonder if I should try again, he opens his eyes and stands. He looks around calmly, before his gaze settles on the Holy Fire and Sacred Flame Mana Core above the brazier. "It was indeed a spirit of the Dungeon then? I would prefer you not interrupt my attempts to commune with the Goddess. But, you are essentially my host in this moment, so I shall hear you out. That said, I am no mere Priest. I am a High Cleric of Vestria. Branheil, if you must use a name."

"Right, I meant no disrespect, your holiness. Hmm. You may call me, uhh, Dandeus Erlkönig. . . Ehem. Or Dan, for short if that is too much." Did I just name myself Dan-God Elf King? Ohh the cringe! "Moving on to not waste your time. I have heard a few things about 'Class Souls', which are apparently a Blessing from the Goddess Vestria. I am, curious if I may receive such a Blessing for myself."

"That is, not typical. But it is not my place to declare it inadmissible. Given that sapient monsters can gain her Blessing, I would think it, possible. Perhaps. Though I cannot simply take you to the nearest Church to perform the ceremony." Branheil rests a hand on his chin thoughtfully. "I would be able to perform it here, with the appropriate focus. Which would be simple enough. If you do not mind me turning your Brazier into an artefact of the Divine?"

"I would be amenable to that. Do you require anything else?"

"Three window or mirror like panes, made from glass or crystal, standing a short distance from the Brazier, and a ring of crystal set into the bowl of the Brazier. The artefacting miracle can reshape them to an extent, so precision is not necessary. Ah, I would also advise you move your Core further from where the tributary flame will rest."

"Seems simple enough." Okay, non-hostile. He is not, hostile. So I can affect the area near him. After hyping myself up like that, I conjure a ring of the basic quartz like crystal, made from Gemstone Mana, in the brazier, and three panels with the broad surfaces facing it, two meters away. Then I float the Core several meters back. "Will that suffice?"

His expression softens. It's not quite a smile, but still seems charming. Ah, his tail is swishing a tiny bit, too. "Yes, that shall do nicely." He kneels before the brazier and places his hands on the bowl. His palms and most of his fingers are touching the metal, but his thumbs reach down to touch the crystal. Then he starts chanting something in a language I cannot understand. His voice reverberates oddly, and causes a faint golden glow to shroud the brazier and panels.

Crystal and metal alike melt and reshape on their own like some sort of nanomachine goo construct. The crystal moves up to cover the rim of the bowl, then three spikes emerge facing the crystal panels, which themselves are slowly reshaped. They shorten and thicken a bit, and even steal some stone from the floor to build frames around the crystal. The process is complete within twenty seconds.

Branheil stands, then plucks a stream of silver fire from his robe to place reverently in the bottom of the brazier. Somehow, the tiny strand of silver flame slowly grows into a natural looking red and orange fire, despite having no actual fuel to burn. "There we go. I must wonder, if you are the first Dungeon to ever contain a Brazier of Blessings. Hmm. Now you simply need a piece of wood, marked with a part of yourself, to offer the flame while I chant the Ritual of Blessings. Typically, blood is the required catalyst. I am, uncertain of the equivalent gesture here, given your nature." His brows furrow and he quirks his lips. "I don't imagine she would appreciate it if we dropped a monster in the fire with a plank of wood."

"I, well. Probably not, no? Uhh, how bout just a fragment of crystal from one of my Cores? I'll just grow a thin branch of Sacred Flame Mana on the close one that you could snap off pretty easily. And I'll have a monster drag a piece of wood to the entryway of the Plant section for you." I'm already moving to do both before he responds.

"That sounds, better, certainly. Even if it sounds more akin to a piece of a heart than a drop of blood. But it should work." He approaches the Core, then quickly picks out and snaps the crystalline branch.

I groan to myself as a feeling like stubbing a toe echoes through my Mana field for several meters. "Ow." I shake my perspective, then order the Ivy Knight in the entryway of the Plant section to roll the small log out into the lobby.

Branheil turns toward the sound, places the Core fragment on the floor next to the brazier, then retrieves the log. After carrying it close, he pulls a machete looking blade out of the sleeve of his robe. I can't even tell if it was just strapped to his arm or if it's some spatial shenanigans. With minimal effort, he cleaves an inch, or rather couple centimeter thick slice of wood from the log, then balances it on the edge of the brazier before placing the fragment on it.

"Part of the ceremony requires that you cast the wood into the fire yourself. So, simply knock it in after I start chanting." Without wasting a moment, he takes a couple steps back and starts vocalizing. It isn't as strange as the previous chant, but still a little mysterious sounding.

I listen for a moment before flicking the wood plate and Core fragment into the fire with a twitch of Mana. Then I turn my attention to the crystal panels.

Personal Information

Name: Dandeus Erlkönig (Dan Smith)

Race: (Error, not found)

Level: (Error, incompatible value)

Age: <1 or ≅30 (Error, multiple unclear entries)

Faith: Unknown

Devotion: Unknown

General Abilities

Strength: (Error, incompatible value)

Dexterity: (Error, incompatible value)

Constitution: (Error, incompatible value)

Wisdom: Med-Low

Intelligence: High

Charisma: Med-Low

Energy Affinities

Mana: MAX (Error, multiple MAX values)

Spirit: MAX (Error, multiple MAX values)

Ki: MAX (Error, multiple MAX values)

Natural Energy: MAX (Error, multiple MAX values)

Current Class Soul: None

Available Class Souls

(Error, incompatible system)

Class Soul Advancement: N/A

Energy Specialization 

 

 

 

"Well that's concerning." After a few seconds, all three screens gain a new line of text.

(Error limit exceeded. Contacting Administrator)

"And that's worse! Why do I not think things through before I do them?! Well, that below average wisdom rating, probably. . ."

Before I can process that, frankly obvious, self revelation, a pressure descends, as if I were several feet underwater. Somehow the weight of it even seems to push my perspective down towards the ground. As if the pressure weighs upon my very soul. When I try to rise up, I can offset the sinking sensation though.

A moment later a voice without a clear source rings out. Melodious, as if a bell had learned to speak, and soft as warm silk. Somehow giving the impression of a young woman who has chosen joy and kindness at every turn. "What's this? High Cleric Branheil, and the spirit of a Dungeon. . . Trying to grant a Dungeon a Class Soul? Well, I am always happy to gain new followers. But, Dungeons don't really, work the same way as other mortals. I could Create new Classes specifically for Dungeons and enable a few new optional features to allow it. Oh! I can use this as an excuse to talk to some of those Gods who usually work with Dungeons! I haven't had much reason to talk with them, even though they, as a group, are prone to building systems like I do."

Well she certainly, takes things at her own pace.

"Sure do! But then, takes one to know one, in this case, huh? You've certainly been up to a loooot."

Oh great, not just intercepting my attempts to communicate, but directly reading my thoughts. Probably already knows everything I've done since I've been here by the sound of it. "Y-yes Ma'am. I suppose I have. The Goddess Vestria, herself, I take it?"

"Yeppers! Dandeus, ehh? Aha! Cute. And you are a reincarnated other worlder who nobody up here noticed yet. Due to your, particular circumstances. That comes with some potential issues. But, nothing we can't solve pretty quick. What sort of Unique Skill would you like?"

It takes me a few seconds to realize what she just asked. "What? Where did that come from? Isn't my current existence unique enough?"

"Sure! But that doesn't account for your Soul, silly." A wisp of flame rises from the brazier, taking on a golden hue and shaping into a short tailed ball. "Other worlders like, have to have powerful Souls to retain their identity when traveling between realities. Well, bit easier for transmigrators than reincarnators. But the difference isn't usually very pronounced." Golden branches in the rough shape of a person grow around the fireball. "Point is, you need a Unique Skill or two to uhhh, express that power without it going too, unexpectedly. Even developing one on your own is better than having the capacity for some and not having any. Your circumstances seem like it'd make for an extra unpredictable outcome if you're left on your own, so, choose something and I'll figure out a way to make it work."

"Wow. Uhh. That's a lot to think about. But if I were to pick something on the spot, I'd say some sort of defensive Unique Skill. Like geared to protect against other Unique Skills, specifically. Wouldn't want someone with a Gluttony skill walking in here and simply, inhaling my entire Dungeon, after all."

"Well there's an interesting turn! Was kinda expecting you to just ask for something that would enhance all of your Dungeon Cores." She laughs, and an entire flock of angels must have taken flight at the sound. "Well, either idea would be a little vague. But I'm sure I can think of something. Hmm, might as well check in with the gods who usually handle other worlders. Get a little feedback on what I'll make there. Tell ya what. Check back later on both the Unique Skill, and the Class Soul. Should have somethin' for ya, mmm, in a few hours? Oh! I'll make it so Dungeons can use any solid form of their own power for the sacrifice, so you can just use a normal Mana Crystal next time. When that works, you'll know it's good to go. And I'll get an alert on it too, to deal with the Skill."

"Okay, err, yes Ma'am your, divineness. Ah, one other thing. You already know about my circumstances. Including some, sensitive subjects. Is it okay to, go slowly on, that one thing? And not tell Branheil?"

"Oh yeah. No rush. Looking forward to it, but it isn't like I super need that to happen. And he won't bug you about anything you don't want to say, cause I don't want him to. Right Brannie?" The mini branch person points towards the Cleric.

"I am still not, comfortable with that nickname, my Goddess." The wolf beastkin pinches the bridge of his nose. "But I will not make any move to pressure the Dungeon on whatever secrets he is keeping."

"There you have it. Now, I have, ehh, a couple concerns. Specifically, I'll want to make it so that Dungeon Fae can use any Dungeon specific Classes too. Which is all well and good, but makes your situation a little unfair for any other Dungeons who gain my blessing. The other concern is, allowing other Dungeons the opportunity to receive it. I can allow miniature Brazier of Blessings that can easily be carried into a Dungeon, but given their reclusive nature, they wouldn't be inclined to chat with my Priests. Hmmm. It's not perfect, but I'll have to ask you to use your contacts to let other Dungeons know about the opportunity, kaay?"

"I won't pretend that I'm in any position to object. I do have, a suggestion for other Dungeons though. Just make it so they can create sapient monsters to also gain Classes. Then there wouldn't be a limit of two Dungeon Class holders per, normal Dungeon."

"That's such a simple solution that it's almost boring. But it'll do." The branch figure drops into the brazier, being quickly consumed by the fire. "Welp. I got some fun to have! Er, work to do, I mean. Yes that. Laters!" The pressure disappears and my perspective shoots up to the ceiling of the chamber.

After a few seconds of floundering at the loss of that added weight my attention turns back to Branheil. ". . . No offence, but I have a hard time accepting that you are a follower of her. The personality clash is, extreme."

"Haaah. She can be serious when she needs to." He shakes his head, then looks around as if, considering something. "Now, as to my price. I would like to build a chapel around this Brazier."

"Ah. That's reasonable, actually. Do you want me to do it? Or is this more a, build it yourself kind of thing? In which case, materials. I can make bricks pretty easily, and err, haven't made mortar, but I think I can figure it out. Or some functional alternative."

He flashes a fang filled grin, that may have been intimidating, if he had actually been looking at me. "It is traditional that it be built by hand, but some assistance would be, appreciated."


By the time Ahnya and Rin return, the basic structure of the chapel is complete, and Branheil has run off to obtain some specific decorations to add to it. It isn't, too big. Just a four by six meter rectangular room.

Ahnya stares at the chapel as she approaches. "Of course he would build a church around it. No? This is too fast. Dan you dog, did you strike a deal with Branheil for extra Spiritual Energy or something?"

"Or something. I wanted to get a Class Soul. Preferably like, mage to increase my combat power. Maybe a scholar type to help organize my notes on mana types and stuff? I didn't know for sure going in. Didn't work out that easily. Also, Lady Vestria is, bubbly. Energetic. Stuff like that. Anyway, she said she was going to make Dungeon specific Classes, but didn't say what that would entail. Also I guess I'll be getting a Unique Skill."

"It failed so badly that you caught the Goddess' attention? Suppose I shouldn't be surprised by that. But, that's between you and her. I'm just here to give you a boost for your Spiritual Energy, and tell you a bit about Mana types." She pauses briefly, looking around to be certain. "Well, probably give a hint or two about how you should set things up for Hesvunt trees, too. Though again, I'm not exactly an expert in how to handle them. Can multitask the energy and conversation, if you'll point the way to your nearest bit of Spirit Field? Or should I just go back to that secret passage in the Storm section?"

"Ah, if you don't mind, could you hang out next to my Natural Energy Core? That one is slow to build up too, so far. Can't even expand its field, far as I can tell. And I already made it a point to reach it with Ki and Spirit fields, Mana already overlaps everything else. Cept for the other Dungeon, I guess. She likes stealing my Mana field if it's where she can grab it."

"I didn't agree to give you Natural Energy. Buuut, I am interested to see what you can do with it. I did read Lil' Blue's skill entries about it, Mana aligned Natural Energy could be, interesting. So I suppose that'll be fine."

"Right. Still haven't worked out much about that myself." Without further ado, I spring the latch on the stone door hidden next to the Mist section. "This way please."

Ahnya snorts at my attempted showmanship, then follows the presented path down to a small room housing only the Natural Energy Core, and a lone Eidolon wearing a spider themed black and red dress, courtesy of the other Dungeon, of course.

Staring at the dress, an idea comes to mind. "Sol. Would it be alright for me to name the other Dungeon's, er, spirit? Or is that something to leave for whoever will bond with her?"

"Well, Dandeus, most sapient Dungeons end up naming themselves. Though it isn't unheard of for some to be found young enough that their partner gives them a name instead. So, I doubt anyone would hold it against you, whichever of my siblings is given a chance, might prefer to name her."

"Ah, okay. Never gonna live that panicked self naming down, huh? Well I don't have anything in mind, so I'll leave well enough alone. Just thought it was a little off to keep thinking of her as just 'the other Dungeon'. How bout a provisional name for the Dungeon? Webbed Manor? Damn that's basic. Uhh."

"That should suffice for the time being. Now, back to what you're supposed to be doing."

"Oop. Sorry bout that Ahnya." I turn my attention back to the hidden room, where Ahnya is poking at the docile but confused looking Eidolon.

"I am more than used to dealing with scatterbrained boys. Half of my brothers would likely give you a run for your money in that respect." Her hand moves down to pinch the dress. "Hmm, remind me to get some swatches of fabric for that, Webbed Manor, Dungeon friend of yours."

"Sure. . . Don't suppose I could barter for a few things myself? Metal and Gemstone Magic Cores both have an option to absorb things to reproduce them, so samples would be useful. Both in terms of loot and improving our monsters. Actually, plants or seeds for the Plant Magic Core would be great too. Had an idea of trying to improve crops. Especially like, staple foods. Tried to remake corn. Did not work."

"If you want metal, why not ask that trio of smiths? I've only a few of such things I'd be willing to part with. Still, the three most traded forms of coinage, a few gemstones I have for higher quality enchanting, and some fresh vegetable dishes from my bag, if I have any, for a few Magic Stones or Magic Nuclei would be acceptable. I'll have Rin search my bag while I vent energy and chat. No corn though. Dad has complained about that a fair bit. He especially misses popped corn?"

"More than I should ask for, really. Thanks though. That's probably part of my problem, I don't know what plants I know exist here. Though trying to be too specific when making new plants doesn't seem to work either. Oh, already have copper from some of the slagged coins you left behind before. As for talking to them, tempted, but trying to resist. Even I, don't think Dungeons should go around just talking to every person who wanders in. Suppose I'll figure something out." I whip up a stone bench so she doesn't have to stand around. "For now, I would love to hear what you have to say about Mana attributes."

Ahnya pulls a few cushions from her bag before handing it off to Rin. She even sets one on the bench for the Eidolon. "I will not cover every Mana type, of course, I am not certain I even know all of them. But the general outline." She scratches idly at the bench as energy starts seeping from her mouth as a multicolor fog. "As well as the other energies, and the ways they combine. Blue thinks you'll get more out of that lecture than she did. Once we're done with that, I have other business with you."

She chuckles, then blows a stream of mixed energy towards the Natural Energy Core, which easily strips the orangish red and pale blue wisps from the mess, before the other streams get pulled apart and drawn to other Cores. "Now, as for Mana, it has three general categories. Plus a couple more sorta, but those aren't so important. First." She snatches a bit of Mana from her breath, and splits it into eight motes, each taking on the form of the first set of elements. "The base or primary elements. Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, Dark, Holy, and Nether. The first four are representative of natural elements. Same with Light and Dark, but they also start dipping into the conceptual territory of Holy and Nether."

Ahnya flicks the motes away. "After that, the secondary elements. They are mostly natural things as well. With the slight exception that some secondary elements touch on the unnatural territory, but only using the same form as one of the primary elements. That's one of the other categories. 'Compound Elements', which are just secondary, or rarely tertiary, elements that unify multiple other elements. Storm is a perfect example. It isn't really its own thing, it just combines lighting, water, wind, and potentially more. Though some do that, and a bit of their own thing. It's, complicated."

"Basically, if it's a natural thing, or uses Holy or Nether, it's a secondary Mana type. And basically all non living natural things can be recreated with Mana alone. Tertiary Mana types are, distinctly unnatural in some way. Dust that clings to things and repels gravity, stone that is immune to temperature changes, lightning that petrifies flesh, or, an example you should already know. Sacred Flame. A compound Element that does Fire and Holy damage, but also consumes Holy energy. Hence the distinction between Holy Fire and Sacred Flame."

"Hmm, ah. Guess Positive Mana and Negative Mana types are all tertiary by default then?"

"Positive and Negative, hmm? I'm afraid you'll need to explain those to me, actually. Does that have something to do with the, unusual water fountain, and other decorations you put next to your elemental paths?"

"Can't say I know exactly what Positive and Negative do on their own. But mix a little of them with one of the other attributes and you get something useful. Just a sec." I condense Mana into a pair of crystals, one black with dark but lustrous speckles, the other white with faint silver and gold marbling. "Positive and Negative are both made by clashing Holy and Nether in equal measure until one wins with a little bit left behind. Then you add more of that element to the winner and repeat until it becomes something more. I think Holy and Nether so violently attack each other, that sometimes a smaller amount of one will still destroy the full amount of the other, at least if they're close. Then it's sort of like, an experience thing."

"That's, insane? Most people would give up on mixing Nether and Holy after nearly blowing their own hands off a time or two. Guess that's not quite an issue for a Dungeon. But, it must have been a significant waste of Mana." Ahnya picks up both stones, one to a hand, keeping them far away from each other. "They certainly seem to be what you say they are. What do you know about what they can do?" She licks the Positive Mana crystal, then tilts her head slightly.

"Well, for starters, they completely ignore one another. Smash those crystals together if you want, they won't react. Secondly, Positive erases Nether Mana without taking damage itself, same for Negative against Holy. After that, I only know about mixing them further, though Sol got to that while I was busy with other things. Still." I drop a white flecked red Positive Fire crystal on the floor in front of her, a small flame rising from it like it were a lit coal. "Positive Fire, for example, makes fire without spending Mana. Though only a little relative to Mana invested. I wonder what the higher tier crystals would do. A greater Positive Fire crystal would probably burn pretty hot. Negative Fire meanwhile." I create a black spotted red crystal, well away from the Positive Fire crystal. "Absorbs fire or heat to generate Mana. It'd even eat the Positive Fire crystal if the two touch, but doing that would destroy both, with a release of more Mana than I spent making both, of course. Which is, I guess, why I thought of them after you explained Sacred Flame."

Ahnya sets aside the Negative crystal to pick up the Positive Fire one, which fails to burn her, even when she licks it. A moment later, she groans. "You are, every bit as irregular as Aradain, you know? You're probably going to get far too much attention once these come to light. But they will likely be very useful."

"Yeah. Maybe. I can think of a lot of uses, like a shield that absorbs fire. Or a heater that never needs fuel. The only downside seems to be that I can't make a Magic outta any Positive or Negative derivative. They just won't mix with Ki. Though once I heard about refined Ki, it occurred to me that that may be what I need to do it. Or, they could be like, an alternative path to Magic, where Mana is the focus on its own. Suppose I'll see eventually."

"I see. That would limit it a fair bit. Though now I must wonder how those things would work with Blue's Skill Enhancement. Something to test later, certainly. Hmm, suppose I could bring the corpse of a high level Treant to trade. Eh, why stop at one?" Ahnya tosses the Mana crystals to Rin, who stashes them in her bag. "For now, the full lecture of the rest of the Energy types, including their combinations."

The lecture lasts a while, with me holding back on commenting overly much. Though when I said, "Ah, yeah see why I shouldn't use Malice. Don't need to become a Demon King." it lead into a tangent about how Demons are the last thing that would ever use malice since they wouldn't be able to stop making it and die when their energies run out. The only other interruption is when the Cat-sìth returns with her three siblings. I spared a few seconds to tell them I was busy, but let them hide in the undercroft area until I can help them pick Cores to bond with.

After she is done talking about the energies, Ahnya takes a minute to drink a cup of tea as I process the mass of information. "Hmm. Now, is your Spirit field spread across all public areas of your Dungeon?"

Before I can even check on that, Sol speaks up. "Yes Ma'am. Even gained enough extra to create a couple more Spirit Cores, same for Natural Energy Cores. Tried out an idea he had of putting them in areas with a heavy focus on different Elements to see if we can attune them to those instead of Mana, and it worked. Though I haven't tested the other systems for Spirit yet. Dan would probably get pouty if I started that without him."

"Uf fu fu~ I see. Entertaining. But, I suppose we should be moving on." After passing her teacup off to Rin, Ahnya shrouds her hand in glowing hot Mana, similar to some I've used, but distinct. "Sun Mana. Care to guess how to make it? I bring it up because it will be better if you use it to provide light for the Hesvunt trees than Star Mana, or any other type you have."

"I, don't get why those are two different things? They feel different, now that you show it off. But that doesn't really make sense."

Ahnya nods. "Thought that would be, how you viewed it. From the types I've seen, you usually go for a, logical, maybe even pseudo-scientific approach to making Mana types. But there are many that require a more, poetic approach, shall we say. You'll never figure out Sun or Moon Mana, for instance, that way. Hmm, Sol, how would you go about making Sun Mana, using types you already have?"

"You want me to guess? Dan usually comes up with ideas. But, given how you were talking before, I sort of see why you'd think I would be more qualified. Hmmm. Maybe, making a bunch of small bits of Star Mana, then weaving them together with some extra Light and Fire? Like making a Sun from many Stars?"

"I see. Try it out then." Ahnya waves the Mana away from her hand and pointedly waits.

"Very well." A dozen specks of Star Mana appear in the air before Sol links them with Light and Fire, then pulls them together. "No? Still missing something, but feels close. Maybe a hint of Holy? Undead supposedly hate the Sun." She wipes away her first attempt, then places a ball of Holy in the middle of another dozen Stars, links them in pairs with Fire or Light, then has the Holy reach out to every Star before pulling them all together. Then, the feel of it matches what Ahnya had shown off. "Oh, neat. Don't suppose you could hint at a few more of these, poetic idea Mana types?"

"Nope. It'll be more interesting to see how many you figure out on your own. That's enough gifts and trades for now. I've more of my own business to get to. Plus, I think it's getting a little late, so retiring for the evening soon would be, preferable." Ahnya gestures to the side. "I doubt I need to introduce you. But."

A hole opens in the air next to her, splitting like a pair of sliding doors. Then a certain silver haired necromancer steps through.

"Right. Him. Kinda figured after you introduced yourself properly. That said, I don't actually know his name."

Ahnya sighs, then chuckles. "No, fair enough. This is Calron Cursilver. Somewhat of an employee of mine, somewhat a personal friend. Cal, this Dungeon goes by, heh, Dandeus. Now Cal, what exactly is your idea? Is it about your infiltration of the current Shadow Guild? I also imagine it relates to your new, condition. Hmm?"

Calron salutes. "Yes Ma'am. To very briefly summarize before we get into specifics, I believe we can lure most of the higher ups of the Shadow Guild into this Dungeon with the idea of letting them gain new power by swapping out their natural Mana for Elemental Mana." He pinches his silver hair. "I'll simply, show off my benefits a bit, talk em into coming here in a large group, let em think they'll be safe sticking together, and you capture them. Guess I'll have to disappear from the Shadow Guild? Let the rest think I died or got caught. Something to keep them from thinking I betrayed them, cause that'd lead to issues. But if we can take out, eh, five or six of the bigwigs? That ought to be worth losing my standing with them."

Ahnya seems contemplative, though her tails flicker through the air behind the bench. "Maybe. Which of the 'Ten Dark Kings' do you think won't buy into it?"

"Brutality only cares about physical strength, so no chance he'll be tempted by better Mana. Fear is, ironically quite fearful himself, and paranoid of everything to boot, he'd never go somewhere new until the others have already been, and this seems a one-off trap. Chain only cares about money and slaves, so I bet we could catch some of his underlings if he wanted any magic using slaves of his to, become more valuable, but he wouldn't bother showing himself. Honey, might come? She treats magic as a curiosity, but usually only cares about her employees and clients. And drugs, from what I've heard. The rest should be fast to snap at any chance for more power. Especially if I play up the part to hold it over them."

"Ahhh, I see. Don't worry about Chain. Another one of my agents is one of his favorite bouncers, and far stronger than he knows. And Honey is, entirely in my pocket already. Prostitution isn't really that bad a thing anyway, so once the rest of the organization collapses, I'll have some of my people prop her up to legitimize her business. And clean up the few issues there are in it."

"Whaaat, Honey I can believe, but you have a guy in Chain's main auction house? Who? How?"

"Weeeell, Chain doesn't allow much violence in his establishment, but he loves shows of force. So, Durach seemed perfect to him."

"The Giant?! Gods woman! I swear every time I think I've got a grasp on your reach you throw another log at me." Calron rubs his face with both hands. "But, yes, I can see that wall of muscle grabbing that skinny perv's attention."

"Right well, first note on my end. I'd like to set up a separate site for that, rather than letting those sort of people here in my main Dungeon. Should be simple enough for me to carve out a second cave a few miles away, er several kilometers, I mean. Then I can, decorate it as some sort of profane temple? That'd be neat."

Ahnya nods. "Entirely reasonable. I wouldn't want to cause any issues with you when Blue has such a high investment here. Have to scout out a few places to see what shall work best." She glances back to Cal. "Any other particular issues with your plan that you can think of?"

"Ahh, oh. Yeah. They won't believe a Dungeon would give them power just for their own benefit. So I'll need something to tell them to cover that. Not sure if just, money would be compelling enough. Specially so given Dungeons are usually a source of treasure."

"Hmm, well. This guy needs a lot of Energy still, so you could tell them to bring things like Magic Stones to trade? Probably encourage them to pay you too, to make that more convincing."

"Little basic, I say, tell em to bring slaves. Make em think I'm farming Mana from captives. Much more in line with the expectations of an evil organization. Could even tell em I use the slaves for my Mana swapping experiments. Just uhh, release the slaves after everything is settled, I guess? Not actually gonna participate in any human experimentation, of course. Doesn't, seem to bother me as much as I think it should. But I remember it being wrong at least. . . Eh. Beyond the human experimentation I already did. Sorry Cal. By the way, what, position are you in this, Shadow Guild that you can get the bigwigs to move like this?"

"Eyy, no problem man. You were, basically just defending yourself. Turned out pretty interesting too." Dark energy with flecks of metallic silver flickers over his hand. "The reason they will heed my dark offer, is because I am one of the Ten Dark Kings. Muah ha ha! They call me Death. They think I'm some kind of death cultist. Though the primary value I bring their group, is selling imbued items. Though naturally I avoid selling them anything truly dangerous."

"All right, I'll bite. What do you mean by 'imbued items'?"

"Huh? Oh. Kinda figured that was pretty basic knowledge. Imbuing is the spiritual energy equivalent to enchanting. It's different in like, every way. Harder to get specific results, to start. But the effects are permanent, or at least last a really long time."

"Interesting, I guess. Uhmm. Plan to set up a secondary Dungeon site as a trap. Anything else for either of you? Cause I have one thing I want to run by Miss Ahnya before she runs off."

Ahnya quirks an eyebrow, and lightly bats the Eidolon's chest with one of her tails. "I believe with the basic idea agreed upon, Cal and I can discuss the full plan between ourselves later, so that should suffice on the subject for now. What do you have in mind?"

"Oh it's uhh, not something else to do with this trap plan thing. Just have an idea on how to, game the system, in regards to a certain someone's unique skill."

It only takes her a few seconds to shoo Cal back through the portal she had simply left open. "This should be interesting then?"

"Right. Basically, I'm thinking that, since there is a degree to which I can deliberately make some monsters in certain ways, I can probably try to make some monsters to let her unlock special recipes. Like, if I gain a rubber plant, I can make some special kind of monster out of it that would let her unlock some kind of lighting resistance item. I'm not entirely certain it'd work, but should I be trying to custom design things for her?"

"Hmmm. I can't see any harm in it, really. Even if it doesn't work exactly as you expect, it should still give her more options. Though maybe don't tell her that you're trying to do it. She might get a little grumpy." Ahnya stands and starts walking out of the secret chamber. "It certainly increases my desire to give you certain specialty items that could in turn help her, but I imagine you had already thought of that. A little too clever for your own good. But I suppose I'll play along a little. Perhaps even give you a manual on the qualities of certain plants and gemstones, as well as samples. Perhaps the same for metals?" She scratches her cheek, then sighs. "Well, goodbye for now Dan. I'll have to think more on that myself."

I watch Ahnya and Rin leave, after confirming with Sol that she handled trading some Plant Magic Nuclei for several kinds of plants and a few gemstones. Once they're gone, I look around again, finding that the smiths had left at some point, I shrug and return to the brazier. After having a monster bring in another piece of wood, I place a mana crystal on it then drop it into the fire. The wood and crystal alike burn up, but nothing happens. Maybe just because Branheil isn't here chanting. Ah, he probably won't be back until morning at this point. Hmm, what should I do instead?

 

 

Decided to skip through the various energy fusions this time cause didn't wanna repeat. Bleh. But now Dan knows everything Aradain heard a few chapters back. Plus a little. Also next chapter will be another Dungeon chapter, cause this was running long. But, this seemed like an okay spot to break it.

1