Chapter 7: Wayfaring Strangers
58 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trio travelled mostly in silence, stopping briefly for a lunch of bread, salt pork and ale, the staple foods of travelers out of Thiudoricus and ones that left Morana craving a salad for the first time in her life. The road was well travelled by merchant, mercenary, and soldier alike, and thus was relatively safe. Bandits and robbers did not generally set up camps so close to the garrison, and the Dusk Spawn, demonic beasts and monsters from the realm of dusk that plague the lands of Silex. An occasional kobold ambush or dire wolf attack had been known to occur from time to time, but generally nothing more serious than that. At least, until one crosses into Xanavene or travels through the mountains.

“So,” Chauncy stretched grandly as he chewed on an old reed. “what are the two of you doing out here?”

Cormag took a swig of ale and offered some to the archer. “I’m taking her to Meric pass, after that I don’t know what the hell she’s doing.”

The archer declined the ale and adjusted his bow on his shoulder. “Aren’t you her bodyguard?”

 “Only until we reach the border.” Cormag said with more than a hint of resentment.

 “And you’re just going to leave her?” Chauncy’s voice cracked as he raised it. “What the hell kind of Knight are you? Xanavene is no place for a woman, least of all one as beautiful as her!”

“I get the impression she can handle herself.” Cormag returned the skin of ale to his pack. “And I’m no knight.”

“Obviously!” Said Chauncey, exasperated.

“And where does your destination lie Chance?” Morana asked.

Chauncey smiles and hastens to join up by Morana’s side. “Wisdom and a caring soul! I knew I had not misjudged the lady. I am a refugee of sorts, brought to Thiudoricus two years ago, after that kingdoms failed insurgence.”

Cormag scoffed and stared off into the horizon but said nothing.

“However, my sister and father stayed behind.” Chauncey continued with nary a pause to take a breath. “My father was a soldier you see, and my Sister a nun in The Order of Dawn.”

 “Your sister was a healer?” Cormag asked with some surprise.

“Is a healer sir.” Chauncey corrected.

“I feel you misunderstand the nature of my question.” Morana interrupted before Chauncey could continue. “I need to know if you are going the direction as I am so I can add you to my retinue.”

Hurt and confusion crossed the archer’s face. “Your retinue?”

“She appears to be a bit touched in the head if you catch my meaning,” Cormag interjected before the mage could further insult the boy, “it is best to ignore such comments from her.”

Chauncey nodded slowly, scrutinizing Morana who seemingly had already forgotten the exchange. “I see…”

 “However,” Cormag cleared his throat, “What would this sister of yours think of her brother travelling with a heretic?”

“I’m not sure I follow.” Chauncey said, growing ever more flustered.

“The Order has a very antagonistic view towards mages.” Morana said, “Particularly mages in my area of study.”

Chauncey nodded, finally understanding their meaning. “Politics never much played a role in my family. I think she would simply be glad that I came back for her.”

“I am tired of walking a talking,” Morana groaned. “I request the two of you simply shut up for the remainder, the alcohol and salt with no water has given me a headache. Thank you.”

They continue in an intense and stunned silence.

 “Is it always like this?” Chauncey whispered to Cormag.

Cormag shrugs. “More or less.”

3