Chapter 10: The Gift of Guilt
60 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chauncey slowly backed out of the cramped tea house carrying a tray of tea and pastries of middling quality and at a king’s ransom price. As he had come to suspect was the norm, Morana was in the midst of saying or doing something weird while shook his head in exaggerated frustration.

“What did I miss”

Before the words could even leave his lips, Morana had taken her portion of from the service and darted off to a corner to eat.

“Nothing new.” Cormag’s gaze was full of judgment as it lingered on his unwanted charge.

“And how was your fact-finding mission?” Chauncey bobbed to remain in Cormag’s line of sight, going so far as to press the teas service to his face. “News of any of the towns out east?”

Cormag pushed Chauncey aside. “don’t you have stuff to do and places to go? Other than here?”

“Was there any word of Balalaika?” Chauncey set down his tray and hurried after Cormag. “Or a group known as The Wolves?”

Cormag abruptly stopped, causing the young man to run into him. He turned and narrowed his gaze as if seeing the boy anew. The wolves were a well know bandit group in the region, one whose name dated back to the time Before the War of the Dawn some 700 years ago. In that span of time, one group or another operating out of that border town held the name The Wolves of Balalaika.

“What do you know of The Wolves?”

Chauncey swallowed hard and opened his mouth as if to speak but reconsidered.

Cormag stepped forward, causing the boy to stumble back as step. “What connection do you have to that group?”

“Connection!” Chauncey stopped and took a breath to collect himself. “I…. I have no connection to those bastards.”

Cormag raised his index finger on one hand and placed the other on his sword. “that’s one lie you’ve told me, tell another and your head will hit the ground before the tongue has finished wagging.”

“W-wait a minute-!”

Cormag drew his blade. “Enough stalling.”

Chauncey closed his eyes and doubled over in a vain attempt to protect himself. “They have my sister!”

Cormag dropped his blade back into its scabbard and folded his arms across his chest. “How?”

Surprised to still be alive, Chauncey let out a deep sigh and straightened out his oversized tunic. “Its where we’re from. They caught us trying to escape and kept her hostage to punish me and teach the others a lesson.”

Cormag swore under his breath and turned an exasperated gaze to the ground. “When?”

Chauncey raised his head, a glimmer of hope in his eyes. “Around two-weeks ago.”

“Then it is best you give up any foolish hope of rescue. She is likely dead or nearly there by now. Honor her memory and live a full life in Thiudoricus. Put Xanavene behind you.

Hopes glimmer turned to burning rage in a blink. “You coward!”

“I am many things boy, but a coward is nay one of them. I am but one man, you can not expect one to win against hundreds, especially where armies have tried and failed to depose that group.”

 Chauncey spat at Cormag’s feet. “How can you wear that standard and so easily flee responsibility and forsake all honor?”

Cormag swung his fist before the last word was spoken, dropping Chauncey to the ground.

“Do not speak to me of responsibility whilst your balls have yet to descend past your navel. Until your hands have been dyed in the blood of men trusted to your command, or you bear the weight of a nations scorn serving as scapegoat for a noble’s folly.”

Cormag jumped with a startled curse at Morana’s sudden appearance at his side and gentle hand she placed upon his shoulder.

“By the Dawn woman, don’t do that!

“Balalaika you say?” she said in her usual disinterested monotone. “How fortuitous as my destination is an estate in that town.”

Chauncey spat out a bit of blood and turned his glare up to his attacker. “Then we shall pool our resources to hire a real knight to accompany us.”

Morana scrunched her face in disgust. “Oh, gods no, I haven’t the money for all of that. Besides, Cormag isn’t going anywhere we aren’t.”

“Boy!” Cormag barked as he shrugged off Morana’s touch. “Go fetch your supplies, I’ve words for the mage.”

“Like hell! I’m not gonna do whatever you-“

“I SAID GO!”

The ferocity of his response caused Chauncey to flinch. With a frustrated and embarrassed curse muttered with eyes leaking hot tears of rage, the archer snatched up he gear and took off into the crowd.

 “Then it is settled,” Morana dusted her hands with a smug grin and tilt of her head. “I shall leave things in your capable hands.”

Cormag grabbed her by the arm and turned her to face him as she attempted to walk away. “And where the hell do you think you’re going?”

2