Chapter 3.31
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took me a moment to discuss my suggestion with them. After some changes, we finally came out with a solution.

 

Firstly, it's unavoidable for the Black Cat and the White Snake's war. From what we heard from Dómr, the Black Cat is getting restless these days. Everyone knew that the Black Cat had planned this for years; this war is unavoidable.

 

That's why I suggested making them engage in their battle as early as possible before Dómr's mind-controlling spell overtakes his body. Dómr told me the earlier he activated this spell in him, the more he could suppress its mind-controlling effect on his body to keep the damage to a minimal degree.

 

I sincerely hope they would end up with a happy reunion— The Black Cat, The White Snake, and The Snow Leopard.

 

If possible, I desperately want them to become Restia's contracted beast— however, they still need to make a consideration.

 

Dómr, Restia, and I respect their free will.

 

In the end, regardless they would become Restia's contracted beast or not, White Snake and Snow Leopard Queen agreed that they would work together to defeat Dómr.

 

Well, I doubt they could, but for some reason, they think they could.

 

At any rate, I need to make that guy recover from his Amnesia and do a thing or two as a backup. I remember there are a few helpful recovery magic spells in dad's grimoire.

 

I hope they could buy as much time as I need.

 

"Once again, leopard," I said.

 

"H-Hello, cat— n-nice weather t-today…!"

 

"No! You don't talk about the weather in a reunion…! Arghh…!!!"

 

Reality is always disappointing. With Snow Leopard Queen's bad acting, we are stuck dead on the happy reunion part.

 

Feeling frustrated as I scratch my head, I lay down exhaustedly on my back on Dómr's head.

 

"Hahaha, you are just like your father," Dómr said to me with a peal of easy-going laughter.

 

"… I'm sorry for being so useless." Snow Leopard Queen murmured with a depressed look.

 

"Hiss, you are, sometimes." White Snake said to her.

 

"Says the one who does nothing but sleep and eat— perhaps I should let you take on a diet."

 

Looks like Snow Leopard Queen took account in my words.

 

"Hisssssss…! Anything but grass or fruits!"

 

""""…!""""

 

Their conversation broke as everyone except for me and Restia suddenly raised their head, looking in the same direction.

 

"He's back…!" Dómr said to me.

 

It's that guy, huh.

 

…If it's my parents instead, Dómr would've stormed to my house without uttering a single word.

 

"Well, it seems our discussion took a bit longer than I expected," I murmured.

 

I'm getting hungry, too.

 

I wondered how Ruby's doing now…?

 

"…Ah." I inadvertently uttered. "Can you guys do me a favor— I need to find a pink little girl or animal."

 

"We are searching." Snow Leopard Queen told me. "Your sister requested help from us two days ago."

 

I was so delighted that I leaped from Dómr's head, landing on his daughter's, where Restia is.

 

"You did well, Restia…!"

 

I gave Restia a stroke on her head.

 

"N-n…!"

 

Then I hugged her from behind and sat on Dómr's daughter's head, giving Restia a head pat.

 

"Ah, that's right. When I'm gone— Restia will be in charge. Any changes will be entirely up to her."

 

Dómr visibly widens her eyes when he heard my remark.

 

"…May I ask why, young master?"

 

He doesn't look happy at all.

 

…It seems he does not trust Restia as much as I. I will have to correct him.

 

"Because Restia is a genius. She's the only one capable of handling things after me— I trust her because she's my little sister, my dad's daughter."

 

"…I see."

 

While muttering those words, Dómr made a tender-looking expression as if he recalled some precious memories that my dad once said in the past. I wondered what it is.

 

Nevertheless, with my hands on Restia, it made me inadvertently remembered something— an excuse to prove that I do not know about Ruby's whereabouts.

 

"Oh, that's right," I said. "Lady White Snake, I need to borrow your Fortune Rabbit."

 

"Fortune Rabbit? What do you need her for?"

 

I felt a strong sense of hostility coming from White Snake. It made me tensed for a moment.

 

"Well, I was hoping to rely on some luck to find Ruby."

 

"Luck… is it?" She murmured, seeming sentimental. "She's just living under my protection… If you want to take her with you, it will be entirely up to her."

 

"Is that so? In that case, can you take me to her?"

 

"Then, our meeting will end here." Dómr declared. "You go ahead. I have a little reunion to make here."

 

Seems like Dómr had lots to talk with Snow Leopard Queen.

 

"…I will excuse myself for a moment, teacher."

 

Saying that White Snake then slithered away from her territory.

 

"…We will take our leave, then."

 

"E-Erm… bye-bye."

 

""…………""

 

With that, Dómr and Snow Leopard Queen gave us a nod as a farewell.

 

…………………………………

 

After guiding us a while, White Snake stops.

 

"She's living in that hole over there." She told me.

 

A normal-sized rabbit hole, to be exact. I thought she would be larger than the Black Cat.

 

"Thank you, lady—"

 

"Don't call me 'lady'." White Snake retorted. "Only under that leopard's presence, you call me that. It's really embarrassing if you keep calling me lady."

 

I could probably understand why she would tell me to do so. If I don't call her lady in front of that leopard, she would've smacked her paw on me.

 

"In that case… I will call you 'sleepyhead'."

 

"Big brother…!"

 

Restia slaps my hand because she can't knock my head. She thinks it's a bad suggestion.

 

"Hiss— a nickname? I don't really mind as long as you don't call me lady, and I do admit— it's tough for me to stay awake at Autumn and Winter…"

 

"Try to stay awake as long as you can. After all, I don't want anything bad to happen to any of you…"

 

"…I hope you will keep your words till the end, boy."

 

I could tell she still had her doubt on me.

 

As soon as things start to get awkward, I leaped to the ground from Dómr's daughter's head.

 

"…………"

 

I don't see the rabbit nearby. Looks like she's inside that hole.

 

"I wondered if she would be willing to live with me…" I inadvertently murmured.

 

"…It could be nearly impossible. She doesn't really interact much with me, and it would be difficult to talk to her either."

 

White Snake heard my murmuring.

 

"Difficult to talk…? Why…?"

 

"She's the remaining Fortune Rabbit." White Snake uttered. "The pain and regrets she had to face from witnessing too many deaths of her own kind frightened her till the point that she lost her ability to speak as we do."

 

White Snake could understand her feelings. No wonder she's protecting her.

 

"She became mute, huh…" I inadvertently murmured.

 

That Fortune Rabbit made a choice herself. To live alone— isolated in this place forever without any destination to go.

… It's like a body without a soul.

 

"Big brother…?"

 

Slowly and carefully, I walk towards the rabbit hole with every step as quietly as possible.

 

Ah, her ears peeked out from the hole…

 

…She heard my footsteps.

 

Time to make this quick.

 

"Ooooooohhhhhhhhhh…!"

 

With a burst of my right foot, I took a huge leaped forward and landed with my body sliding across the ground.

 

Then, I shove my entire arm into the rabbit hole.

 

“E-Ehhhhhhhhh!!?” “Hisssssssssssssss!!?”

 

"Ah-ha!"

 

I caught her.

 

I could feel a wealthy sensation of fluffiness from my palm.

 

Even though she heard me, she didn't intend to escape— maybe it's because of my surprise attack that it frightened her to struggle crazily right now.

 

I made sure I'd grab on her nape before pulling her out from the hole.

 

Pulling her out from that hole made me excited— on the other hand, I think she's excited in a different way.

 

"Hup…!"

 

After grabbing on her nape and pulled her out, I get a good look at her. I had a hand on the bottom, lifting her body so that I wouldn't hurt her on her nape too much.

 

In return, she's looking at me with a shocked and terrified look.

 

"My, aren't you a cute one~"

 

She's not entirely hot pink in colour. Part of her is white coloured. That thick coat of fur on her chest, her underbelly, and her feet that feel like she wore socks.

 

The only flaw about her is her dead-looking state and her skinny body.

"Restia— we are going to have a rabbit stew today!"

 

"""!!?"""

 

That rabbit on my hand starts to struggle again from my grasp.

 

"Boy— you—"

 

Before White Snake could speak any further, Restia stops her from talking or moving from her spot.

 

Looks like she gets my message.

 

"Yay…!" Restia replied with an excited look.

 

Nice one, Restia.

 

Without further ado, I carried her with my arms on my body, back to White Snake. The Fortune Rabbit on my hand struggles fiercely to break free, but it was futile.

 

"Ow."

 

She bites my arm with her eyes closed as if she's biting as hard as she could. However, though her teeth dug into my skin, they can't penetrate my muscles.

 

The pain is nothing compared to my seal— but I felt her struggles to live on.

 

… That's the only reason I need.

 

"Hey, I know you understand me— let go." I calmly told her.

 

"…!"

 

After staring at me for a while, she stops struggling and inadvertently releases her teeth from my arm.

 

"Sorry for testing you. I was just wondering if you are just a rabbit with a mindless body." I said to her. "You see… rabbits die easily. They are fragile, they get sick easily, they need a lot of attention— but you are different, aren't you?"

 

For some reason, she looks away— to be precise, the hole she dug.

 

"I don't know if it's cowardice or bravery that you are still alive. At least you are still alive. If you don't have a reason to live on, then I will give you one."

 

"…!"

 

I felt a slight twitch coming from her.

 

She wouldn't run away now. I'm sure of that.

Placing her down with my legs squatted, she turns around and looks at me.

 

"Do you want to be my contracted beast? It's something like a pet— this means, I can give you a much livelier place. You could refuse if you want."

 

Telling what I want to her, I extended my hand to her, seeking an agreement.

 

And surprisingly, she licks my forefinger.

 

"Then, from now on— I'm your master. Please take care of me, and I will take care of you as well."

 

I carefully grabbed and lifted her up with my hands, showing it to Restia with a grin on my face.

 

"Restia, I did it…!"

 

"Be careful, big brother…! Rabbits are fragile…!" She reminded me.

 

"Oh, right."

 

I quickly carried her with my arm and approach Restia, leaping onto Dómr's daughter's head.

 

"Wah…! She's so cute— so pretty…!"

 

Saying that, Restia gently took her from my hands and stroke her.

 

Dómr's daughter suddenly looks depressed. Looks like she thinks she's not as cute as the Fortune Rabbit.

 

“Ekki hafa áhyggjur, þú ert sætur á þinn hátt.” I told her as I stroke her fur.

(Do not worry, you are cute in your own way.)

 

Well, she seems to cheer up.

 

For some reason, I noticed Fortune Rabbit have been staring at White Snake for a while.

 

"…After all these years… I'm glad to finally see that you are getting livelier." White Snake said to her while lowering her head close to her.

 

Which then, Fortune Rabbit licks White Snake on her mouth.

 

"…!"

 

It's as if White Snake realizes or understood something… she immediately reveals a tender look while staring at Fortune Rabbit.

 

"…I will be going back." She said to us while turning around, slithering away.

 

"I won't be seeing you so soon," I replied. "If you have something to tell me, you should speak now."

 

She stopped.

 

"…………"

 

After hesitating for a moment, she turns to me and says…

 

"I… hope to see that everyone will be alive, master."

 

"We— we definitely will…!" Restia replied.

 

"…Yeah. Your master promises you."

 

With that, we parted ways— with Dómr's daughter riding us home.

0