Volume I – Fate Tosses a Coin. Chapter 2
12 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gen headed towards the high-end district.

 

The city was illuminated by the numerous cars and tall glass buildings that were generously spilling light onto the street.

 

She inadvertently stared at the lavish sportscars and passersby in showy clothes.

Her gaze lingered on the far-off digital screen that displayed the latest news. She was too far away to hear the announcement, but she could see the confidence with which the reporter proudly presented the information.

Her thoughts wandered off to the past.

She too used to be an ambitious journalist. Wanting to hunt down a scandal, cover an important issue. But those are hard to come across, harder still to tell them. Because the real world is composed of people that will try to put a gag on you very quickly. And changing it is so very hard.

 

Even so, you still try, because you're young. But then comes the time to pay your bills. And well, the need to pay the rent quickly cools down young blood.

 

In the real world, you've no choice but to learn quickly. So you start telling stories that will sell.

 

Gen looked away from the screen that now started playing hot scandals.

 

The real world didn't care for her voice.

 

She stood at a crosswalk, waiting for the light to turn green. In the distance, there was a building that shone more brilliantly than any other. It looked as if collapsing, half-submerged into the ground; its gleaming roof was tilted, continuing until it hit the pavement, serving as a slope to the private parking. An ornate fence, lit with blinding lights, surrounded the site.

 

This was tonight's destination.

She strode across the road.

 

Despite the unassuming name, Rocka café was actually an extravagant club.

 

Gen saw the crowded entrance, and strengthened the hold on the folder.

 

She paused not too far away from the building and, took out her phone to inform of her arrival. Yet, as she was about to make a call, her eye caught a tall figure, carefully making its way past the fence. The hurried, somewhat jumpy gait of the person seemed unduly familiar. Gen squinted, and recognized that this was the famous actor she was often tasked with stalking. Just last week, she was hurried to the airport, because someone leaked his return to the country. After a long stay abroad and an absence from the domestic screen, his arrival was much anticipated.

Countless reporters showed up from each media company. Empire wasn't stingy either, immediately sending every journalist around to key locations, to catch a glimpse of the popular star. Together with numerous fans, the airport was stuffed to the brim. But, in the end, the leak was written off as a rumor, because he never showed up.

Now it had seemed that the information was true all along.

 

His figure moved towards the unlit backside of the building. Maybe out of habit, she quietly followed.

 

They were now walking down an empty road. Remnants of electric light coming from the tall clubhouse and occasional streetlamps prevented it from being shrouded in darkness.

 

Comparing to the sea of people in front of the building, this place was deserted.

 

Soon, a range of buildings appeared down the street. The first ones were simply archaic garages. As Gen carefully advanced closer, she noticed she was stepping on flakes of paint, that has fallen from the old building. The brick walls were exposed for everyone to see.

 

She wondered where the idol was going.

 

As they moved a bit forward, a pavilion came into view.

 

She decided to stop here, at a safe distance from it, because had she followed further, she would have to come into the open. Gen hid behind a shed-like structure, that was semi-attached to the last of the storage units. Standing behind it, she observed the man.

 

Here, she was somewhat hidden from the main road.

The star circled around the pavilion. Then, he stopped.

 

He looked impatient.

Gen pressed herself closer to the wall. She touched the raspy stone surface and felt a cold sting in her fingertips. Leaves of the surrounding climbing vines, that spread all the way to the roof, clung onto the fuzzy fabric of her coat.

 

A quiet rustling of the trees was carried through the moonless street.

She listened.

The trees were whispering.

A light clink disturbed the silence. The man, who was till now rooted to one spot in front of the pavilion, has finally moved. He seemed to be reaching into the insides of his jacket.

She stared in anticipation.

Then, a sort of crackling sound followed. The night's darkness was invaded by a sudden flicker of light. A wisp of smoke appeared.

Although he lit a cigarette, he didn't close the lighter, as Gen could still see the tiny flame dancing in his hands.

Then, he turned his head.

The fire was reflected in his gaze.

Gen’s thoughts halted. The glint of his eyes was terrifying, as he looked in her direction.

Her legs were fixed to the spot.

A light tread came from behind, returning her to her senses.

 

A quiet rustle.

 

 

 

She halted her breath, unsure of what will happen.

 

 

A strong scent of perfume overwhelmed her senses. Then, a person passed by her hiding place. With only shrubs between them, it was a vulnerable position.

 

 

The newcomer's steps were agonizingly slow; each second was dripping by slowly.

 

 

Gen didn't dare to look. She thought her stare would be felt by the other person.

 

 

Only once the footsteps grew more distant, Gen lifted her gaze.

 

The lighter was put away, and there was neither flame nor smoke. The man had long finished the cigarette.

He didn't wait for the other person to come closer, and instead, he himself stepped forward.

Two lone figures, concealed under the wing of the night, stood in front of the pavilion. The unfolding scene could be considered romantic, but there was a third wheel hiding in the bushes.

 

To Gen, the situation she got herself into was quite laughable. Pathetic, almost.

She leaned against the wall and suddenly wondered if she should be here in the first place. If there was something she learned over the five years in the industry, it was that reporting on stars' relationships was a tricky matter. She grew to dislike investigating couples because it always backfired and got her in trouble.

She began contemplating her decision to follow the star.

However, a steady male voice interrupted her thoughts:

"I'm back."

The other person didn't speak, and simply hummed in response.

"You seem dissatisfied." The man said matter-of-factly.

 

"It took you a while." The female talked slowly, carelessly dragging out words; her voice dripped with nonchalance.

 

He laughed. "A pretty girl held me back. But, it was alright in the end."

 

He sounded proud, while there was a lack of reaction on the woman's part. Gen wondered if this was the so-called "open relationship", or was the man simply joking, and the other one was just used to it.

 

The other party stayed silent, so he inquired, voice tinged with worry: "Mad?"

 

This prompted a lazy response. "Why would I be? You are, however, taking this lightly."

 

"Don't be like this. Come on, when have I ever let you down?"

 

"Last time was quite troublesome."

 

"Cut me some slack. If I knew she'd be this much of a hassle, I'd never even talk to her."

 

"I believe I warned you before we started, if you mess up even once, I have no trouble cutting you off." Despite the heavy words, the woman's voice stayed mellow. She woman was quite a character.

 

"What if I decide to walk away, huh?" Gen wondered if he noticed that his jokes were falling on deaf ears.

 

"I suggest you stop entertaining such a possibility. For your own good."

 

"Oh, you're this sure I won't leave first, huh?" The man kept teasing.

 

"In a casket, maybe."

 

 

 

If it were someone else in her place, they'd be excitedly jotting down everything that was being said. But, as to herself, she didn't like her current position. Eavesdropping on a lovers' quarrel was never the intention... But with them standing so close to the sheds, slipping away wouldn't go unnoticed. The only other option was to wait it out. Hopefully, they'd go away soon; it'd be weird if this was their actual dating place.

 

"How mean." The man was sulking. "You know that I'm joking. I'm not an idiot."

That’s not so certain.

"I'm just reminding you that if that happens, you can, and will, get replaced."

"You're so serious, as if I'd ever have the guts to even try. Come on. Why would I ever leave?"

"It's good that you know."

"You...you're so quick to berate, yet stingy with praises. I've poured a lot of effort into this relationship, I won't let some gal mess this up. So, are you still mad?"

"Never was." Her tone, however, remained the same as when they first started talking. "It's just that it happens too often for me to ignore."

"Because of whom do you think I'm like this?" The man seemed to get frustrated.

"It's because of you that I do that."

"Are you starting a blame game?"

 

 

 

"In the first place, it was you who kept saying that the willful ones are the best playthings."

 

 

 

 

 

'Woah. That's weird.' Gen thought that the convo's heading in a strange direction.

 

 

 

She heard the woman chuckle. The rigid atmosphere over there dissipated, but now it was Gen who was uneasy.

 

 

 

"That's true." The woman agreed.

 

 

 

"They do sell best."

 

 

 

Gen blanked.

 

 

 

 

'What?’

 

 

‘Did I hear it right?'

 

 

 

She was very well aware that people's nature differed off- and on-camera. The entertainment industry, where the idols' moves were put under a magnifying glass for all to judge, and microphones were shoved into their faces the moment they opened their mouths, was not the best soil for sincerity.

So, if she encountered a star and discovered they have a different manner of speech or some questionable, thus non-marketable, interest, she wouldn't be too surprised. Perhaps upset, but it wouldn't shock her.

But what in the world was going on here.

Her body tensed up.

 

"It's been a while so I forgot. I won't blame you anymore. But in a situation like that, know that you should see if the deal is worth the risk before you do anything else."

Gen reached for her purse.

 

"Fine." The man conceded.

 

 

Her hand went to a small pocket and pulled out a mobile phone.

 

 

 

"Either way, - " The woman regained her serious composure, and the atmosphere turned solemn again.

 

 

 

Gen unlocked the screen.

 

 

 

 

"- it's time we get to business."

 

 

 

 

With fingers trembling, she launched a voice recorder.

 

 

did you see the latest novel art on my instagram @eonovels
  • yes Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not yet Votes: 1 100.0%
Total voters: 1
0