Chapter 5 – Hidden Potential
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That evening when they dine, the Count made sure there was no talk about politics at the table. Eomer pouted, eager to demonstrate his new-found knowledge he had accumulated from the afternoon in the library. Evanthe was appreciative of the gesture. While studying with Eomer was enjoyable, she was mentally exhausted. Eugen, on the other hand, chattered incessantly on the new combat techniques he managed to succeed after countless tries. Count Cernat smiled.

"And what did you do today, Evanthe?" 

She choked on her food when she heard her name. All eyes were fixed on Evanthe, waiting for her reply. 

"I, um..." She stammered. 

She didn't know if she should tell her father she had been in the library studying. Her father would be disappointed in her. He expected her to rest. She caught sight of Eomer across the table who was leaning forward, practically waiting for her to tell the Count of their exchange in the library. Evanthe quickly shook her head in his direction.

Don't tell him, she tried to warn him. 

"I wanted to paint but I needed some artwork examples, so I went to the library," Evanthe quickly said. 

"You wanted to paint... So you head to the library?" Count Cernat raised an eyebrow. Something about that sentence felt odd to the Count. His daughter, in the library? To paint?

Eomer saw the funny look his father was giving and came to his sister's rescue.

"Yes, Father. I visited the library this afternoon to do more reading and found Evanthe browsing through illustrations,"

Right... Illustrations of Arodian territories and maps, Eomer thought to himself and stifled a laugh. 

"I see. I hope she didn't disturb you in your studies," the Count sipped his hot tea, already satisfied with the answer Eomer had given. 

Evanthe heaved a sigh of relief. She gave Eomer a quick smile to which he returned but Eugen saw the exchange. 

"Both of you were together this afternoon? And you didn't invite me? I feel so left out!" Eugen complained. 

Evanthe giggled while the Count shook his head. 

"You had your own schedule, Eugen. You can't be playing around," Eamon replied sternly which made Eugen whimpered.

Evanthe felt sorry for her brother. It was chance that led Eomer to the library and that they ended up studying together. Perhaps one day if Eugen's schedule permits, all of them could study together.

Dinner concluded without the usual tension nor argument between father and daughter. 


The night ended with Evanthe ready for bed. Her maids have swapped her dress for a white nightgown and combed her long ebony hair before loosely braiding it. After her nanny had blown out the last candle in the room and shut the door, Evanthe quietly got out of the covers and took out the book she snuck out of the library after dinner. She relit the candle and settled on the floor, book in hand, flipping to the page where she last stopped at of War: The Tale of Two Nations. With that, Evanthe continued reading, immersed in history. 

At present, the Arodian Kingdom and the Qaiyaron Empire were relatively peaceful but it was not so much before. The two nations had fought for three decades before ultimately calling for a truce due to depleted manpower and supplies on both sides. The nations didn't see a point of continuing their decades-long strife at the expense of destroyed lands and crops. This happened long before Evanthe was around; perhaps when her father was still a teenager, fighting under the banner of the Somneri royal family for the Arodian Kingdom.

Evanthe continued to read until the wee hours of the morning, and as she flipped to the last page, the first crack of dawn could be seen filtering in through the curtains. 

I better sleep before the maids catch me, Evanthe thought to herself, placing the book beneath the bed and hopped into the covers.

Sleep did not come easy for her, still fearful of the nightmares.


Days passed without many occurrences.

Evanthe found that her father had cancelled her classes for the whole week and thus, she was left to spend the time in the library. It was better that way as she knew her tutor would focus more on etiquette and manners of nobility before actual studies. It was pertinent to have proper lady manners and how to conduct oneself as a noble in public. But Evanthe knew that would only go so far. Her priority right now was to get stronger, both mentally and physically.

Nanny Pagna constantly tried to ambush the young lady after breakfast that Evanthe had resorted to sneaking around the Cernat estate. It was understandable if Nanny Pagna came looking for Evanthe once or twice. But the woman did not stop even after her young mistress had already stated she had plans laid out that day.

"Didn't you say you like to have a picnic when the weather is nice and sunny? It's a perfect day for it!" Nanny Pagna stormed into the room a few minutes ago and went on about having a picnic for lunch later in the afternoon as the maids helped Evanthe get ready for breakfast.

"I'll ask the cook to prepare your favourite desserts," She continued when Evanthe made no answer.

Evanthe narrowed her eyes. 

"Nanny, I'm still not feeling well and I'm not in the mood to sit and frolic in the sun," Evanthe waved her hand away when the maids attempted to put adornments in her hair. 

The nanny did not look convinced. 

"Well, the sun will do you good! You're still not yourself. You have barely spoken to anyone after the incident. You're distancing yourself from other people-- you're distancing yourself away from me,"

The room suddenly went quiet. The maids knew only the nanny would speak to their lady that way. It represented their closeness; the way a mother would reprimand her child. But they were still terrified nonetheless. Lady Evanthe wasn't like before. She wasn't even facing her nanny. As she spoke, her voice was icy cold.  

"Leave the room now. I will call for you when I want company," 

Nanny Pagna stood rooted to the spot, at a loss for words. What happened to the sweet child she knew and loved? Her heart ached and the words her lady threw at her cut her.  

"... Yes, my lady," She finally said and left the room, closing the doors behind her.

Even after that scene, her nanny did not give up and popped by after breakfast in the dining hall. However, Evanthe was already long gone, having excused herself right after she finished her meal. 

The last place her nanny would look for her would be in the library as she knew the young lady would never be caught dead among the dusty books. Evanthe even told her brother to keep their study sessions a secret. For Eomer, finally thrilled to have found a studying companion, he agreed. Not surprisingly, Eomer started to show up in the library after his morning training, sometimes dragging his tutor along. He made excuses saying his own study wasn't as conducive, or that the library had more materials for his lessons.

Everyone knew that wasn't the case.

But as he showed signs of increased motivation in his studies, his tutor did not object and even encouraged the young master to continue his lessons with his sister. Eomer's tutor even taught Evanthe together, surprising her.

She didn't protest when the material became too complex and heavy for her to understand, as she rationalised it was because she wasn't learning as quickly enough. Thus, she increased the number of hours she studied, lugging thick tomes back to her room secretly in the night, doing more midnight reading.

She was thankful for the man's guidance. 

However, for Eomer's tutor, he saw an opportunity. 

He saw potential.


 

2