Chapter 5: Emma Frost
958 3 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Emma Frost (Lvl. 21 Mutant)]

[Main Skill: Telepathy]

“Frost,” Brennus muttered, recalling the Frost Technologies listed in the Fortune 500. Was her last name a coincidence?

‘This telepath girl is twenty levels above me.’

“She is weak. Some mutants are capable of warping reality on various scales,” Lady Death said casually.

‘Damn. The oh-so-peaceful earth is now filled with abnormalities.’

“She has barely touched her true potential. You should recruit her as an ally before she blooms… or withers.”

‘Ally…’ Brennus shook his head. ‘For allies, their competence is second, and loyalty is first. Take it from someone so used to screwing his allies.’

Someone would’ve rescued him from Hydra if he had allies. Unfortunately, he wasn’t the one to play buddy buddy with anyone, so no one ever tried to help him.

Though there was a brash mercenary who claimed to be his friend on one mission. She was more of a temporary sex friend he made on a mission. He even forgot her name.

“And levels merely refer to the average of their current stats and skills. A level 20 with the right knowledge can beat a greenhorn level 40. Never think of levels as absolute.”

He nodded in understanding and noticed Emma Frost staring his way. Their eyes met and he narrowed his eyes. Her eyes held a very familiar look — the look people gave before Brennus drew a red smile on people’s throats in his early career — terror.

[‘Emma Frost’ is attempting to read your thoughts.]

[Allow/Deny]

‘Deny.’

As if he’d let a random mutant get into his head.

Emma’s eyes widened a tad before she quickly turned and buried her face in her book.

The black-haired student beside him, who Brennus dubbed as Student A, patted his shoulder. “A-makin' frost shake in excitement on y'all's ferst a-meetin'. Way ta go, man.”

‘This retard.’

Emma wasn’t shaking out of excitement but out of fear. Fear of being discovered. She’ll be shredded to nothing if someone found her identity.

“So what do you know about the mutants?” Brennus asked with a smile.

Student A scowled in disgust. “Muties, they suck man. A bunch of freaks running around with superpowers. I freaking hate ‘em.’”

Another human supremacist.

“I see.”

“By the way, I nevah saw you here before.”

“I came here for some work.”

Working on the quest was his current job, and he intended to take i5 professionally!

Student A gave a sly smirk. “Work, eh work. I get it, man. Ya done came here for her.”

Brennus pointed at the door. “Teach is here.”

“Ow.”

The lady teacher soon arrived and started her lecture, taking time to ask some questions. Brennus was chosen third.

“I don’t know.”

His simple answer didn’t anger the teacher as she smiled and directed the question 5o Student A, who used the same tactic of ‘I don’t know’. The lady shredded the boy with a flurry of polite curses.

‘Aphrodite’s child trait is nice.’

The teacher offered to answer questions, and the brunette sitting behind Emma raised her hand.

“Should mutants be allowed to go to school with… you know… normal kids?”

Emma Frost turned to face the brunette with a frown, looking anything but happy. “Well, why shouldn’t they, Kai? Just because mutants are different doesn’t mean they should be denied the basic rights as everyone else. Everyone deserves an education.”

Kai was left speechless.

“Who says?” Another brunette sitting in front of Emma joined the conversation. “I’ve seen on TV how dangerous mutants can be.”

Emma leaned her head on her hand with a faint smile. “Shanon, do you believe everything you see on TV?”

Shanon cocked her brow. “When it comes to mutants, definitely. Mutants are abusing their power to do horrible crimes. We all have to stand against them.”

“No, it’s not,” Emma retorted. “Professor Mason, what do you think of this? Should mutants be allowed to attend the school with normal children?”

The professor’s glasses reflected a cold glint. “I’ll not have this discussion in my classroom, Emma. And that’s all I have to say on this matter.”

The professor walked out of the class, and students followed suit soon.

‘Interesting.’

Brennus knew the real reason Emma was having this debate. As a mutant, she was probing for people’s reactions if she ever revealed herself before them. She only faced disappointment though. These people here acted as if they had sworn to defy the mutants.

‘Can I see her full stats?’

“You’ll need a specific skill of Appraisal for that. You can find it in a Mystery Box.”

Emma and Kai talked for a moment before Kai left.

Only Brennus and Emma were left in the entire classroom.

[‘Emma Frost’ has initiated a telepathic link with you.]

[Accept/Reject]

Now, this was an interesting development.

The corner of Brennus’s mouth rose.

***

*Emma*

Emma Frost clenched her teeth and stared at the man lazing on the desk.

His dark hair and blue eyes that sometimes reflected a golden light made it hard to stand out in a crowd. Yet, once you did find him, it was hard to take your eyes off him. He had a unique ‘friendly’ aura that eased the tension in her body.

This all didn’t mean much to Emma. Only the fact that effortlessly halted her attempt to read his mind and stopped her telepathy.

The man stayed still at his desk. From the time she saw him and until now he had this careless look in his eyes except for the first time she first used her powers on him. His eyes froze her legs when she used her powers on him.

The realization struck her at that moment. This man was one of those.

A mutant.

Although they were everywhere according to the news, he was the first mutant she met in person. Albeit a bit confused over the mutant and normal fiasco, her powers classified her as a mutant. Even her ‘nice’ friend Kai and the ‘just’ Professor Mason showed their hatred for the mutants. The Professor had denied it on the surface but her mind said otherwise. Her thoughts weren’t any less brutal compared to the other ‘human’ out there.

‘He doesn’t look like he fears anyone here… he must have mutant friends to help him. Maybe a secret club or something like X-Men.’

Emma wanted to know the origin of her powers, and whether she was a mutant or not. She placed down the book on the desk and took a deep breath.

It took every bit of her courage to suppress her shaking body. 

Courage, she needed more of it. To reveal her secret to a random mutant. The secret that nobody knew, not even her family and best friend. It was all to seek safety in case her cover was blown.

Just as she opened her mouth, the man beat her to it.

“My apologies, do you need something?”

“I-I am—I’m Emma Frost. Can I ask your name?”

‘Way to chicken out, Emma,’ she chided herself.

“Brennus.”

“Then, let’s exchange numbers.”

“Sure,” Brennus smiled and told her his contact number.

Emma noted it down and returned a smile. “I’ll see you later.”

She turned around and hurried for the door.

Outside the building, she sat on a bench and held her head in her hands.

‘I can’t do it. I can’t tell him. I’ll be screwed if he isn’t a mutant.’

Her crimes of cheating in every exam would be revealed. Even the things she accomplished on her own would be labeled as her being a ‘Mutant’.

‘Get yourself together, Emma. You’ve survived much worse like that psycho drug dealer and your sicko father. This is but a breeze compared to them. Take things slowly as they come. No one knows I’m a mutant or not.’

“Emma~.”

Christine, nicknamed, Kai jogged towards Emma with a wide grin. She was a charming brunette. Sixty percent cheery and forty percent spicy, and she loved to chatter.

“What did that guy say?”

“What?” Emma asked, unaware of Kai’s meaning.

“Oh come on, don’t be so secretive. I saw you talking to him. Did he agree to go out with you?”

“The hell is wrong with you?” Emma said before catching up to reality.

‘The way we exchanged numbers, did I just give him the wrong idea that I’m interested in him?’

“He isn’t that bad, a bit on the lower side for now but has a bright future. And he beats Max in the looks department.”

Her friend went on and on comparing the two guys.

Emma rubbed her temples. “You’ve misunderstood something. I’m not interested in Brennus that way…”

“Then Max? He’s invited us for a party tonight..You’re coming.”

‘Why is she so hung up on hooking me with someone?’

Emma broke her promise she made to herself and read her friend’s mind. Kai’s memories shocked Emma down to her core. Kai was… dating Ian, Emma’s former teacher and crush in high school. Kai hoped to steer Emma off Ian’s radar by forcing her to date someone.

‘This… bitch.’

Emma cursed in her heart while showing a smile to her friend. “I’ll go to the party, sure. I’m heading to the dorms for now.”

Kai gave a refreshing smile. “Alright, Roomie. I’ll escort you there.”

“You aren’t returning?”

This was the only lecture they had for today.

“I got stuff to check here.”

‘Like fucking that man behind my back. Just come clean if you two are dating.’

Emma shook her head, feeling repulsed by her friend. “You don’t need to.”

She was going to keep some distance with this roomie of hers. She had yet to taste the feelings of a backstab. But if she stayed with Kai, she was sure to know how it did.

She yanked her phone out of her pocket and sent a greeting message to Brennus. She planned to slowly make him a friend and if he turns out to be a trustworthy person, she’ll reveal her identity and join whatever group he was in.

‘It’s gazillion times better than getting stomped by these maniacs… in the worst-case scenario, they’ll dissect me.’

Emma shuddered and hastened her steps.

***

Name: Brennus

Level: 1 (0.00% to next level)

HP: 300/300

SP: 250/250

Current Race: Newborn Angel

Class: None

Title: None

Traits: Barbarian, Scholar, Cosmic Dweller, Aphrodite’s Child, Super Sense, Master Swordsman, Master Smith.

Strength: 25

Vitality: 30

Dexterity: 25

Intelligence: 25

Wisdom: 25

Luck: 25

Stat Points: 0

Skills:

[Death’s Blessing Lvl. Max (Passive)]

[Beyond Death Lvl. Max (Passive)]

[Mystic Wings (Active) Lvl. 1]

[Divine Essence Manipulation Lvl. 1 (Active)]

[Ignore Lvl. 1 (Passive)]

Current Quests:

[An Eye for an Eye, a Soul for a Soul]

[Books and Wisdom]

[The Real Angel of Death]

Current Equipment:

None

22