Chapter 9: Professor Xavier
797 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several minutes of jogging and Brennus was looking at a neoclassical mansion with a massive garden  — the X-Men’s base.

“It’s the training facility for the mutants striving for peace between mankind and mutants,” Jean said as they walked toward the mansion.

Brennus smirked at her grandiose words. “Peace is just an illusion.”

“We’ll turn it into reality here.”

“Yeah, sure.”

Like anyone could attain peace between two different species without shedding blood. Unless someone warped reality to do it, this war will go on forever.

Brennus entered the mansion, and all the X-Men went away at Jean’s order. Birdman looked like he didn’t want to leave Jean alone with Brennus, but she insisted.

“Say, did you know that mutant before?” Jean asked with a slight frown.

“Nope. First time meeting that guy.”

“Then why were you desperate to kill him?”

“His face pissed me off.”

“That’s a lie.”

Brennus shrugged. “Whatever you say.”

He was still irked by this girl.

Jean didn’t ask any more questions and led him through the mansion, stopping before a room.

“Let him enter alone,” A voice came from inside.

“Alright, Prof.”

Jean smiled. “I hope you won’t hold a grudge for me protecting that man. I also wanted to kill Gunther after seeing the chaos he spread, and all the other mutants making things difficult for us.”

“It’s hard, isn’t it? Having so much power at your disposal, but you can’t use it to shut down some envious brats.”

“It’s so stupid. I know, but I still get to kick people’s asses,” she revealed a toothy grin. “Life here isn’t that bad… later.”

She shook her head and walked away.

‘Knowingly walking the path despite knowing that it’s stupid. Should I call her foolish or super optimist?’

Brennus didn’t put further thoughts into this and pushed the door.

A bald man sat behind a table with a serious expression, his fingers entwined under his chin.

[Charles Xavier (Level 148 Mutant)]

[Main Skill: Telepath]

Level 148, this baldhead was cracked!

“Welcome to X-Men,” Xavier said and gestured at the chair. “Take a seat.”

Brennus reigned in his surprise and calmly took a seat.

“Well, you look rich. Mind paying your student’s debt?”

Xavier smiled. “It’ll be done… I heard you destroyed Unus’s repulsion shield.”

“So that shield was called a repulsion shield?” Brennus leaned back and crossed his legs. “It wasn’t that strong.”

“Strong? It could absorb an impact of thirty thousand newtons in theory.”

“Prof, I can’t understand. Use plebs’ language.”

He was never the guy to dabble in science and stuff.

“That’s three-ton worth of force.”

Brennus hid his shock and gave a simple nod. As an assassin, he was taught to keep his composure during crucial times.

[Skill acquired: Poker Face]

He got so many skills on his first day.

“Fufu.” Lady Death giggled. “I forgot to tell you one thing. Divine Essence is on par with Hellfire. While Hellfire burns anything it touches, Divine Essence suspends the atoms’ activity and shreds them with sheer strength.”

He left the Hellfire for another time and smiled at Professor Xavier.

“Professor, why don’t you stop spinning in circles and get to the business? I don’t want to be late for my first ever date.”

“Brennus Shaw. Till yesterday, you were a normal student at Empire State University. Just in a day of awakening your power, you stole a car and drove to New Salem.”

Brennus raised his brow at this man’s efficiency. Barely an hour passed after his meeting with X-Men, he collected all of his information, even his first crime in this life.

“What are you trying to do after revealing that you have me in your crosshair?”

“I’d like to invite you to the X-Men. We all here are working toward creating a better future for our kind. Where mutants won’t be looked down on and coexist peacefully with humanity.”

“Why me?” Brennus asked. “I just tried to slaughter a guy for no reason. Surely you wouldn’t like a psychopath hanging around your precious little heroes.”

Xavier revealed a soft smile that might have calmed any troubled child. But Brennus managed to catch the little smirk at the corner of Xavier’s lips. 

“It’s perfectly normal for teenagers to lose themselves in power. Living with other people with the same powers will help you in many ways.”

“Prof, want to hear my thoughts on this?”

“Happily.”

“Give me your position, and I’ll gladly join.”

Xavier’s smile froze for the tiniest moment. “The time is hard for mutants.” Xavier hung his head and sighed. “Any mutant alone is endangering themselves by exposing their power… The Shield is also trying to do strange things… In this time, X-Men can’t operate without me, and you don’t hit me as someone with the ability to lead.”

“True. I’m not apt for this ‘socializing’ thing.”

“I saw that in your records. In your twenty years of life, you have no one you can call as a friend.”

“Yup, that’s me.”

“I take it that you still aren’t going to join.”

“I can’t.”

He wasn’t made to help peoples.

“Very well, it’s your choice.” Xavier extended his hand with a smile. “You are invited here anytime. X-Men will always welcome strong people like you.”

Brennus accepted the handshake with a smile. “You’re doing it the humble way. Peace between mutants and mortals is impossible without exerting your dominance.”

‘Sigh, why am I talking this much today?’

Brennus felt like he spoke more words than his four years stay at the Hydra’s lab. He had no reason to participate in any side as he wasn’t a mutant or human. Though if given enough incentive, he’d choose Mutant to eradicate the human side.

Xavier leaned back and frowned deeply. “I’ll make it happen.”

“Well, then you’re on your own.”

Xavier slid his business card to Brennus. “Contact me if you change your mind.”

Brennus nodded and went for his phone in his pocket.

‘Fuck, it was in the car… with my money.’

“Prof, you’re paying me extra!”

Professor Xavier looked speechless.

Brennus extorted fifty grand from the baldy, who gave it so he wouldn't commit crimes for money. Owning an institute this big, this man certainly lacked everything but money.

He slipped the credit card loaded with 50 grand into his pocket and took a taxi to the dorms. He also bought a new phone on his way.

19