Ch.2 – Gosh, She’s Such A Tease!
27 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was almost late for my flight, but, luckily, I made it. I found my seat and quickly made myself comfortable. After opening my suitcase and taking out the recently bought book, there wasn't anything else to ask for.

Ahh, I couldn't help but caress the paper's texture and breathe in the library smell.

Books are good. They can always be with you. They don't betray. And they don't leave unless you leave them. Book is the most loyal friend.

 

Suddenly I felt someone staring.

The woman, sitting beside me, was curiously looking at my lap. She was inspecting the book.

"We shouldn't judge by a cover," I said, trying to justify the ugly front illustration. It was rather bland, but what was interesting, and valuable,  was the content after all. 

My neighbor's brows went up and soon I heard a melodious voice.

 

"I find that phrase a bit overused. Many say it, but it's not true. We all are at fault for doing it, aren't we? I do that quite a lot. The cover is what is seen the first moment and usually, it gives the first impression. If the author can't even be bothered with his cover, why should I waste my time and read the book? Most don't have the time to open the book if it doesn't look good. Not that they can be blamed. If I don't know the author or don't have any recommendations about the writing, then having a nice appearance is the least it can do, to not get overshadowed by other trinkets on the shelves." She paused and gave me a meaningful look. "It's the same with people, don't you agree?"

 

My ears were gradually getting hot and I could only hope they weren't turning red at this point. Damn, she meant me, didn't she?

 

My costume got messed up and the white shirt did little in hiding wine splashes that I got this afternoon. My hair also lost its shape. I didn't have time to clean myself up, since I was already running short on time. It was either beautifying myself or missing the flight.

'Having a nice appearance is the least it can do, to not get overshadowed' That person sure knew how to hide her stings!

 

"Well, never would have guessed that you deliver slaps this beautifully." I chuckled. Might as well enjoy the conversation while it lasts.

She smirked, and I found her smile rather captivating.

"Why? Because I don't look that way? Doesn't that mean you’ve just judged me because of my appearance? Cover, that is to say. This only proves what I said before."

While I was pondering what to say, the lady opened her laptop and continued talking.

"Of course, there is also a title. As long as it's interesting enough, the cover might get ignored. Though I don't expect much from something with a bland guise."

"My name is Al." I felt like it was time to introduce myself.

"Just like I thought, boring." An ambiguous phrase sounded.

"Haha. Isn't it." I awkwardly squeezed out an answer, not knowing how to respond.

The lady chuckled. She turned her head and pointed her finger down.

"Relax, I meant the book." I too looked down. ''Scattered Sweets''

Her words weren't referring to me??

She's such a tease!

(A/N: dear ML, wait a bit more and you'll see what a real tease is like XOXO)

The lady sensed my embarrassment and stopped talking. Soon she was typing on her laptop.

I also kept silent and started reading.

 

Gosh, the book is so frustrating! I got sucked into the story quickly and it's indeed fascinating. But, there is a BIG problem. The main protagonist is so dense!  Why can't I just jump inside the book and knock some sense into their head! So useless, can't you open your eyes and see that the one who killed your confidant is sitting in front of you!

Just as the storyline got exciting, my reading was interrupted.

 

"Mr. Al, are you okay?"

 

Seems like my heavy breathing raised the concerns of the lady beside me. I turned my head to the left to face her. Seems she mistook my name for my surname, but, oh well, I don't mind.

"Mmmm. I'm alright. Just the lead is so annoying and it's only now that the action starts." I answered slowly. I didn't want to appear rude but being interrupted on an interesting part triggers one's temper. "Do you mind?... I'd like to continue…"

"Oh, you're at that part!" the beauty glanced at the page. "Sorry, of course, go on."

 

I froze.

 

"Wait. You read it?"

But, didn't she judge my poor taste in literature just a moment ago?

"I only said the title was boring. I never said I haven't read it." She giggled, savoring the moment. "In fact, I finished it just yesterday. Shall I tell you who dies?"

"No!"

The lady again smirked and said that she was only kidding. Then she again turned to her laptop and we fell into silence.

As I got fed up with the profound stupidity of one of the characters, I closed the book. Sometimes you just have to take a break. I noticed that my neighbor was also taking a rest. Now she was admiring the view outside the window. And while she was busy looking at those funny-shaped clouds, I was admiring her.

She had smooth skin. The kind you were wondering what in the world did they do to make it that way. And her pretty eyebrows were just the right height above her eyes that were…

Looking at me.

Shoot!

I quickly turned my head, pretending not to be flustered by the way I got caught.

"Is there something on my face?" I heard an old, cliché phrase. I wanted to answer her with something smart like, "Nah, just two beautiful eyes, a pretty nose, and those seductive lips…" Wait, did that actually sound smart?

In the end, all I could do was whimper sheepishly.

"N-nothing."

"Really?", the voice was like honey, slowly oozing from my left, "I was sure I at least had a nose or something."

I turned my head and was suddenly met with a smiling face up close.

"What are you…  "Gosh, that was seriously bad for my heart, that girl!

"Nothing much. Thought you might want to take a closer look."

That person! Can I just get off the plane already?

2