Am I a God?
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Ahrman lieutenant was already seated at the other end of a long rectangular table when Aiden was shoved into the room. His white blazer was hemmed by gold from its high collar to the cuffs. Matching shoulder epaulets glistened in the light of the low hanging chandelier.

Alba's kept his focus on the book in his hand. “You can go now, Val," he said.

“I’ll be right outside the door if you need me,” Val said, exiting the library.

Alba closed the book and set it on the table. “Please, have a seat, young man."

“I know what you want,” Aiden said, standing in the same spot Val left him.

“Right now I want to have a talk with you. That is all.”

“I’m not helping you.”

Alba slid a book across the table. It came to a stop near the other end. “Read that. You may find it interesting.”

The title of the book caught Aiden’s eye. Encyclopedia of Rebirths. He stepped over to the table and touched the cover of the book.

“Did you know that there are twenty-four known magical runes called Rebirths?” Alba asked as Aiden shuffled the pages of the book. “As far as I’m aware of, less than half are being used in some shape or form. You should read up on them. They’re as fascinating as you are.”

Aiden stopped on a page dedicated to the Rebirth of Time. On the top of the page was an image of an encircled clock. He skimmed over lengthy paragraphs until one sentence held his attention. Its current location is unknown.

“No one can say for sure how they came to be. Over time some of them would disappear, only to return a year, five years, a decade, or even centuries later. That’s why we call them Rebirths.”

“You didn’t force me here to read about Rebirths,” Aiden said, turning the page.

“That was one of the reasons why I wanted to speak with you. I’m sure you’re familiar with the prophecy of your coming. The Rebirth Destroyer predicted to 'cleanse the land' bringing with him total damnation, or so that prophecy reads. I've read it myself. It doesn't paint a good picture of you."

"I don't care."

"You should because I think it's entirely wrong.” Alba left his seat and approached Aiden. He placed both hands on Aiden’s shoulders and looked him in the eye. “You’re here to bring peace to the world, sure enough, not destroying the Rebirths, but by helping the empire destroy the peace breakers.”

“You mean Midaharia?”

“Who else? Right now they’re waging war against our docile kingdom just so they can lay hold of our territory and our Rebirths. You may look like them but you’re much more than they are. You’re greater than all of us. You’re a deity, a God that should be worshipped by all.”

Alba knelt down and bowed his head. “Let me be the first to do so.”

“No, I-I’m nothing like that,” Aiden said, stepping back. “If I was some God how come I couldn’t save Quinn from someone who murdered him in cold blood? Someone like you!”

Alba grabbed Aiden’s arm as he turned to run away. “You’re not going anywhere.”

“Let go of me!”

“I am done being nice to you. You’re going to serve Ahrmania or I’ll have our scientists dissect you while you still breathe!”

“I said let go!” Aiden’s hands began to illuminate.

“No, you don’t!” Alba said, striking Aiden on the back of the head with his hand. “Val!” he yelled, catching Aiden before he hit the floor.

“You called?” Val said, entering the room.

“Tell the guards to prepare my vessel for immediate departure.”

“Aye-aye!”

***

As Alba made his way to the dock, one of the guards loaded an unconscious Aiden onto the steam-powered water vessel. Another guard rushed up behind him. “Sir, our scouts have spotted at least two Midarharian generals headed this way.”

“How far out are they,” Alba inquired.

“Thirty miles or so.”

“News spreads quickly, it seems.”

“Want me to welcome them when they get here?” Val asked.

“No, you’re coming with me. You men, make certain that no one in the village speaks of Aiden’s time among them.”

Just as Lieutenant Alba boarded the vessel, a swift-moving hawk caught his eye. It descended towards him, feet first.

“What is the meaning of ..?!” Alba began, watching the hawk transformed into a man. Jaff thrust him off the vessel and into the water. He quickly changed back into the hawk, narrowly escaping being hit by a ball of water.

“Some’s playing with a Rebirth,” Val said, watching the hawk fly away. Just as he prepared another attack on it, he was struck by a bolt of lightning that knocked him off his feet.

Alba pulled himself out of the water as his vessel pulled away. “Val!” he exclaimed. “They’re getting away!”

He walked up to Val, wiping ocean water from his face and hair. He sighed when he saw the teen on the ground unconscious. “Why can’t you be as reliable as your brother?”

Farah’s hood flew off her head as the water vessel cut through the ocean at full speed. She navigated the vessel over calm waters, but she knew that could change.

“Aiden?” she called, glancing back at the sleeping boy. Half of her was relieved that he was alive, the other part of her was hesitant.

She shifted her gaze to the hawk landing next to him.

“Slow down, woman!” Jaff demanded, shifting back to normal. “I swear you were trying to lose me!”

“Are we being followed?” Farah asked.

“I didn’t see anyone behind us.”

Aiden rubbed the back of his neck as he started regaining consciousness. Jaff placed a hand on Aiden’s shoulder and smiled. “It’s good to see you again, nephew.”

“Do I..know you?” Aiden asked, puzzled.

“Aiden,” said Farah. “You had me worried.”

“Farah!” Aiden smiled with relief. As he started to stand up the vessel was rocked by a wave, knocking everyone to the deck.

Water built up around Farah. She was imprisoned by a liquid globe that filled to the top.

“No!” Aiden yelled, watching her try to break free.

Val stood on top of a wave moving alongside the vessel. “I’d like to see her use that lightning now,” he said. “My ears are still ringing.”

“Stay away from Aiden!” Jaff ordered, positioning himself in front of the boy as Val joined them on the vessel.

“Or else what? You’re going to shift into a giant and sink the vessel? Or maybe try to swallow me like a whale? Oh, I know! You’re going to transform into a giant bird and carry him to safety.”

Val cackled with amusement as his right hand glowed brightly. Jaff began to cough. He staggered to his knees, gasping for air.

“Did you know that the human body is made up of sixty percent water?” Val asked. “And the lungs are about eighty percent. Eighty percent! It’s incredible!”

“Stop!” Aiden yelled. “You’re going to kill him!”

“I know!” Val laughed.

“STOP IT RIGHT NOW!”

Aiden’s words reverberated through the air. They were the only thing he heard. Not the ocean. Not Val's psychotic laughter. Not even the vessel’s engine. Everything did stop.

The world around him was ever so still. Vl and Jaff were frozen in place. Frozen in time. Aiden grimaced. That’s not what he wanted. He wanted to destroy Val's rune. He was the Rebirth Destroyer, after all. Why didn’t it work when he wanted it to?

Aiden ran over to Farah and started searching for a way to let her out. When his hands touched the water globe it burst. Farah fell to the deck. "Farah! Are you okay?"

"I..will be.." she said, desperate for air. "..after I...get my hands..on that Ahrman...!"

"Let's just go before someone's killed," Aiden said, moving over to Jaff.

He set him in motion again with a touch. “I-I managed to stop time, but I don't know for how long."

“You..stopped time..?” Jaff said, clearing his throat.

Aiden grabbed him by the hand. “Come on you two! We can just run across the ocean and..!”

“No. We fly instead.” Jaff pulled Aiden close to him. He wobbled to his feet and grabbed Farah. In an instant, he grew into an enormous hawk.

With Aiden and Farah on his back, Jaff took to the sky.

0