In The Stars
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Tears will live,” Lahan announced.

He sat at a curved glass table large enough to fill most rooms in the city. His seat was the only one out of twelve that directly faced Emperor Taimoor. As usual, the old man’s eyes showed no emotion.

The emperor sat with his back to a tall window covered by curtains that flirted with the floor. His key strategists, seated on both sides, wore red turban hats and goat skinned tunics.

Ten high chairs surrounding the table were occupied. Two were empty.

“Unfortunately, he’s going to be on his back for some time.”

“Unfortunate indeed,” said the emperor.

“Why isn’t Isa here?” Idris asked Lahan.

“He exhausted himself and his Rebirth easing Tears’ pain.”

“I’m relieved to hear that Tears will recover...” the emperor began.

“He should never have been there in the first place!” Badr said, slamming his fist down with a force that was felt across the table. He rose from his seat and pointed at the men seated to the left of the emperor. “I want to know which one of you so-called strategists came up with such a ridiculous ploy!”

“We all agree with Badr on this one,” Lahan added. “This failed incursion felt poorly planned.”

“It may seem that way to you, general,” a bearded strategist responded. “But what unfolded today was nothing less than a success.”

“How so?” Lahan asked.

“As you’re all aware, those runes you command can disappear without warning, then are reborn after a certain amount of time. Quite a few of them have not rebirthed yet. Others return rather quickly. Such inconsistency had puzzled us for many years. However, when we analyzed ancient writings on the matter we discovered that the answer was in the stars.”

The room suddenly darkened. A few seconds later the glass table was completely illuminated with a mirror image of the night sky. The generals stood to their feet for a better view of the impressive star map.

“A matter of days ago we translated a text left behind by a dead kingdom. According to it, each time a Rebirth is reborn, a yellow star appeared somewhere in the night sky.” The strategist pointed to one on the map. “Using the map as a guide, our scientists successfully matched the location of a Rebirth with the position of this recently discovered star. It was located deep within Ahrman territory.”

“Right under their noses,” the emperor added, resting his chin on his interlaced fingers.

“A special unit discovered it buried beneath rubble approximately fifty-two miles away from the region Idris and Tears were sent to “invade”.

“We were both decoys,” Idris said, his eyes fixated on the map.

“Why didn’t you tell us about this Rebirth?” asked Badr.

“Because you didn’t need to know,” the strategist said.

“Which one did you uncover?” Lahan asked.

“It’s called Catalyst,” the strategist said. “Regrettably, it can only be used once.”

“And before you ask, no. No man, or woman, for that matter, can wield it,” added a second strategist.

“Yes. Sadly, we learned that through trial and error. We’re still translating the writings we found for more answers.”

“Most interesting,” Lahan said. “Are the green and purple stars Rebirth related as well?”

“The purple one appeared eight days ago. As far as we can tell, its position doesn’t lead to a Rebirth.”

“The green one is fourteen years old,” the emperor said, reclining in his chair. “As old as the boy, Aiden. At the time I didn’t believe in the Rebirth Destroyer prophecy, but Lahan’s report opened my eyes.”

“You know where he is?” Idris asked.

“Yes. He won’t be a threat to us much longer.”

“But, sir, I think we should make him join us,” Idris insisted. “If he’s as powerful as Lahan says then he could be a huge asset.”

“Or a dangerous liability, young Idris,” said the emperor. “The matter has been decided. Aiden must and will die.”

 

***

The emperor’s word was usually final. His mind was made up, but so was Idris’.

After their session ended and everyone retired, Idris stepped lightly as he entered the conference room under a cover of darkness. Gliding his hand over the smooth glass surface, he expected to find the trigger or a button, anything. He moved over to where the strategists sat.

One of them activated that star map somehow. It just didn't appear out of anywhere.

His hand slid beneath the glass but found nothing. Maybe the chairs held the answer. There was nothing on the strategists' seating. Idris moved over to the emperor's high chair and there it was.

A small switch protruded from the right arm of the chair. Idris flipped it, instantly triggering the star map. It unfolded over the table in a bright wave of light.

Idris looked over it quickly, searching for Aiden's star. He may be one of the emperor’s generals, but even Idris would get into hot water if anyone caught him.

Once he located the green star he scribbled its position onto his palm. Astronomy was never his strongest subject. Matching the star’s coordinates with a place on earth was going to take some time.

And he wasn't about to ask for help. That would raise questions he didn't want to answer.

Idris turned off the map and left the room.

His next stop was a long walk up three flights of stairs and a trip to the other side of the compound; the barracks. Most everyone was asleep at this hour. Except for Badr and Lahan.

Friends since childhood, the two generals devoted many hours to playing cards and talking about years gone by. The sun would flirt with the horizon before the thought of sleep crossed their minds.

Isa, on the other hand, was still out cold. The toll for using his rune nine hours straight proved heavy, mentally, and physically. Dried blood trailed from his nostril, staining his white pillow.

To bring Aiden back with him, Idris planned to use it as long as necessary as well.

Idris quietly picked up the Rebirth of Manipulation rune from his bed. Even though Isa was dead to the world, Idris was careful not to disturb his sleep.

I'll bring this back, Isa. Both your Rebirth and Aiden.

0