Ch10: The Decision
40 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Greetings! This is Yooshin, the author of Ace Among Jokers. I would like to apologize for the delay in the updates of the book. I haven't been feeling well recently and was even bedridden. Which is why I had to halt the creation of chapters for a while. Days after my recovery, with the increasingly cold weather in my country, I caught a very bad cold. Because of that, I had to take days off from writing to focus on resting and recovery. In the future, I won't be adding in author's notes regarding these kinds of circumstances and instead will post it via my profile. Thank you so much for all of your support!

Prince Dion and I walked out of the vaulted dining room side by side. The unsettling feeling remained in my stomach. Cedrin was nowhere to be found after he walked out so suddenly, but where he went was the least of my concerns. To me, the sight of Ranlrein sitting on my mother’s seat was disturbing. Seeing him smiling at me while the men were in discussion sent clear chills down my spine. How could my father do that? No. It was foolish of me to think that he would actually give my mother respect when he didn’t give her even a shred of it when she was alive. 

What would the advisors think about this breach in Imperial Custom? Those old men sitting behind the round table are the ones who uphold the utmost respect for the tradition and old rules of the Imperial family. They’ve lived longer than my father and watched him inherit the throne. Would they really turn a blind eye to this? I think not. 

But my father, the great emperor himself, just broke that highly respected tradition for what? His lover who not only is a man but one who doesn’t hold any power inside the Court whatsoever. I’m certain that once this reaches the ears of the people in the inner court, there will be uproar within the imperial palace. For once I am glad I do not live within the walls of that wretched place. 

“Thank you,” I said as we passed by the bridge traversing a small pond. 

I heard Prince Dion hum from beside me. The low voice that came out of him piqued my curiosity. What face was he making? I turned my head and my eyes landed on his side profile. 

“What are you thankful for, Princess Cecilia?” 

I lowered my head and fixed my vision on my hands. “For taking me out of that place,” I paused. “How did you notice?” I wondered out loud. He probably heard me since I heard him suck a breath in. Slowly, I turned my head to him and saw his grim expression. 

“You just looked like you never wanted to be in there.” 

Was he always this considerate? No. I don’t believe in kindness without a reason. Perhaps he needed something from me or wanted to ask me something. For his kingdom? It could be. Perhaps if our interests lie on the same line, I might be able to help him. That is if he actually needs something from me. 

“Before I came here to court you, Princess Cecilia, I learned about the culture and beliefs of your Empire.” My ears perked up. What did he say? If he indeed learned about the Ostulia Empire, then there’s no doubt he knows about the long running tradition in the Imperial Family. 

“Oh.” Was the only thing I could respond to him at the moment. I looked away, vividly reminded of the nightmare that came true in front of me earlier. “So you know the meaning about what my father did earlier at the luncheon.” 

He nodded meekly. 

“You don’t have to be careful about that matter around me, Prince Dion,” I said with a bitter smile. “My family isn’t what my father desperately wants to paint it out to be to the people.” 

“It must’ve been hard.” 

I threw my head back in laughter. “It’s all an act. Every single careful action of his towards me is an act. We aren’t a picture perfect family. I’m pretty sure you’ve already seen the tip of the iceberg on my mother’s death.” 

“I’ve had a vague idea, yes.” 

“It’s worse than that.”  We walked through tall hedges in the garden as the strong scent of flowers permeated the air. 

Prince Dion held out his hand as we arrived at the secluded pavillon inside the palace hedge maze. I looked up at him and gave him a small smile before accepting his hand. He slowly helped me up the steps and pulled out a chair for me. 

“Thank you,” I said. “You are quite skilled at this, Prince Dion.” 

He chuckled. “You praise me.” His ears turned red as he sat down in front of me. “I’m sure the ladies in Eveothus would constantly swoon if you treat them this tenderly.” 

His eyes wandered around and found mine. “There are only three ladies I’ve been nice to,” he trailed off, flashing me a smile. “My mother, my sister and my fiance, you, Princess Cecilia.” 

I gave him a small smile before looking out at the scenery before us. In the garden, there was only me and him. And probably the shadows my father employed to keep an eye on me. The atmosphere goes silent. But not for long. Prince Dion cleared his throat from in front of me. I shifted my sight on him and saw his somewhat bothered expression. It seemed like he wanted to ask me something or he wanted to talk about something. 

“Is there something you want to ask me, Prince Dion?” 

It seemed like I startled him as he jolted up the moment I opened my mouth. 

“You mentioned earlier that the persona your family shows towards the citizens of Ostulia isn’t what it actually is on the inside…” 

My eyes widened. It was true that I did say it. But I did not expect him to ask me about it. But it wasn’t a problem for me. I’ve steeled my heart and I promised myself I wouldn’t let father nor Ranlrein to get in my way. Even if my father were to know about what I’m about to say to Prince Dion, it would n’t matter to me. My decision remains the same; to bring the people who took away my happiness and my family down. 

“Well yes,” I responded. “Contrary to what people on the outside are saying, my father isn’t actually fond of me or my mother.  He only ever cared about Cedrin.”

“Because he’s the heir to the throne?” 

“Yes and because he’s more indispensable than I will ever be.” 

Prince Dion looked like he was disturbed. But I’m pretty sure he understands because from the beginning, women weren’t looked favourably upon and will always be lower than men. Ostulia is a patriarchal empire and people here always believe that women are inferior to men. Even the role as High Queen of the Empire was nothing more than just a title used to clothe the woman who inherits that title. 

A perfect way to describe them would be ‘a jewel that the High King possesses.’ 

And yet why does my Uncle Assel want me to be someone who should inherit the throne instead of my brother? That I will never understand. Could it be that my mother's family thought differently from the minds of other Ostuleans? 

“My family situation is a complicated thing, prince.” I said, looking away from him. Not out of shame but because I couldn’t look him in the eyes. I do not want to see his eyes show pity towards me or my situation. “But I’m sure you understand that this is how some Imperial Families work.” 

“Will you be alright?” 

I turned to him. I understand his worry. My mother’s place as High Queen was never taken away from her. At the very end of her life, she lived as the Queen and died as the Queen. Even though she was known as an adulterer during her death, her title as the mother of the Empire was never taken away from her. But not even a month after my mother’s death, my father unveiled the Queen’s seat and offered it to a man of common origin. 

I simply smiled at him and said, “No.” 

 

*

 

That night I sat on my bed. My mind was still stuck on the sickening event that happened during the luncheon; my father’s nonchalance, Cedrin’s boredom, the chatter of men, and Ranlrein’s sudden appearance. Remembering the things that happened then made me sick to my stomach. I was engulfed in anger and hatred towards the people who disrespected my mother and my father who blatantly ignored imperial customs that were there to protect the King’s late partners. 

Even if my mother was known as an adulterer, there is no way the court of nobles would condone this kind of disrespectful behaviour. My father, the High King, would not be able to escape the wrath of the noble court. 

“Have you made up your mind, princess?” A familiar voice. 

I looked at the wide open balcony and there he was. My uncle, the Duke of Geuffroi, stood dignifiedly on my balcony. A black hood covered his face, but I knew it was him. It could only be him. How did he know to come at the exact moment? 

The moon was big and silver, hanging on an invisible string in the deep black sky. Stars accompanied it, preventing it from being lonely and its rays shone down, shining on my uncle’s face and I stood up. 

“I assume you have heard of the absurdity that happened during the luncheon, uncle.” 

Although I couldn’t see it clearly, I was sure that there was a change in his expression. It was very subtle, but it told me what I needed to know. 

“I will no longer sit here like a doll to appease my father’s hatred,” I started. “What he has done towards me and my mother….” A lump caught on my throat. I can’t believe I’m saying this out loud. “I will never forgive him.” 

Uncle remained silent. But I kept going. I know what he wanted to hear and I was going to give it to him. 

“I will help you.” 

I saw a glint in my uncle’s eyes as soon as I uttered those words. And an eerie smile replaced his once unbothered face. “I have heard your words, princess.” He said and kneeled down. 

The moonlight shone on him and he lowered his head. “I, Assel Cruxe Geuffroi, the Duke of Geuffroi, Head of the House of Spades, swear allegiance to her highness, Princess Cecilia Leronova von Hathem. She will be my chosen monarch and my life will be at her disposal. If I commit any unjust acts that go against the oath I bound myself to my king, my life shall be the price I pay for my actions. The heavens shall be my witness. Please grant me this oath.” 

A faint shimmer of gold light engulfed my uncle and I. It was burning hot and freezing cold, both at the same time. But strangely enough, I wasn’t burned or frozen. I can hear a slow humming in my ear as the glow starts to disappear and all that was left was a small stigma on my chest. 

“With this, there are two successors to the throne of Ostulia. This will not be easy considering your brother who was trained to inherit the throne ever since he was a child.” 

“I never thought it would be easy. But if it means releasing my mother and I from the shackles of my cruel father, I am willing to cross with Cedrin.” 

My uncle stood up and flashed me a smile. “Do not let anybody know about the stigma until the Founding Banquet, Princess Cecilia.” 

The Founding Banquet. 

A party that lasts a week in the capital of Ostulia to celebrate the founding of the empire. A day where people gather around the Imperial Palace and join each other in merrymaking. One that I had to always avoid because my father doesn’t let me. 

“Make sure you attend the banquet, princess. It is about time you enjoy the privileges you should’ve enjoyed as a princess.” 

“I understand.” 

“For now, please keep a low profile like you always have. I shall come back for you two days later, the same time as tonight. You shall meet your allies.” He looked back at me and sighed. “I’m sorry it took so long for me to reach out to you, Cecilia.” 

“Uncle…” 

It was the first time someone other than my mother called me by my name. It strangely felt…warm.

“You don’t have to suffer now, dear. We will bring ruin to the people who wronged us.” 

“Uncle, there is something you must know.” I held on to his sleeve and he looked at me. “There is a rat in the Imperial Palace that we need to get rid of.” 

“Is he the same person who caused the commotion during the luncheon? The very same person who caused havoc in the court of nobles?” 

“Yes.” 

“I understand. I will look into his background. In the mean time, please be safe, Princess Cecilia. I shall assign shadows to follow you and protect you while we are in this vulnerable position.” With those last words, my uncle disappeared from my sight. 

This is it. 

2