What’s up next? (End of Story Arc 1)
9 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Now, as many of you don’t know our heroes, I will introduce to you the most honorable Captain Laban and his noble warriors who fought at our side and killed the tyrant in the palace two nights ago. Emeric, bring Laban and his soldiers in!” A huge guard opened the door and brought in Laban, Gwyn, Coran, Dil-Shad, Mabon, Reza – and even Brendan. Mabon and Dil-Shad were not happy to be left behind and discussed with Laban so that their leader changed his decision. And after Mabon and Dil-Shad had convinced Laban to take them with him he couldn’t exclude Brendan anymore. Brendan had whimpered like a child to be allowed to join the group and hand sworn to hold his mouth. He had even apologized to Laban for opposing him in front of the other soldiers and even Gwyn and Rosey (and an apologize was really nothing Brendan was accustomed to). After a hard right hook to the chin from Laban that had even brought Brendan to the ground, they gave each other a strong hug and forgot about it. Now Brendan’s face was swollen, but he was grinning like a dog with two tails and was obviously enjoying their appearance.

Laban had commanded that only he would be speaking and had told Reza and Mabon to do everything they could to prevent Brendan from opening his mouth. The last the Kom-Broghian said was, seeing Lucius’ dead body: “Seems that not all of them were happy with the development. I like their style to settle conflicts.” Laban nodded: “I think Alessina has a new king now.”

So, they assembled in front of the council and Laban said: “I am Laban, and these are my trusted warriors. Gwyn and Coran are folk of yours, so they don’t need introduction.” He pointed on his soldiers, told their names and reported in short terms about their travel, their infiltration and their battles. He emphasized Gwyn’s and Coran’s deeds and praised the valor and strength of the chieftains and their warriors. The council and especially Victrix seemed to be really content with that speech.

Victrix got up and praised the group in his turn. He addressed everyone with his (or her) name, called them “heroes” again and again and ensured them that they would always be in highest regard in Alessina. After some minutes of glorification, loud and approving shouts and stamps, Victrix commanded the guard Emeric to go and get the reward. The soldier then brought in a chest that Victrix opened and showed to the soldiers and the council. It was filled with gold and silver coins, and the mercenaries could easily live on that reward for a year without earning one copper extra.

Laban again took word. “We appreciate your words and reward. We accept your giving and will be of service, if you need us as free mercenaries.”

Victrix nodded solemnly. “We hear that with great pleasure, because we need your service indeed. As you know, the sea-people had abducted many of our people to bring them to their homelands. the Anmaki Islands deep in the Great See. We have found maps and sea-routes in the belongings of the leader of our enemy. We ask you to bring our people back and spy out the sea-people. We need to know more about them to manage future risks for our country. We will assemble a ship with an experienced crew and send Coran and Gwyn with you to your assistance. As you reported, most honorable Captain, you trust in our countrymen, which we graciously acknowledge. We will reward you and your soldiers most generously!”

Brendan grimaced, but Mabon punched him in the side so that his friend would hold his mouth shut. He knew that Brendan would go through hell with them, but the Kom-Broghian got awfully seasick and would be throwing up from the moment the ship left the harbor until he could get off board eventually.

Laban held his hard face and answered “I appreciate your offer, King Victrix, and I am sure your reward will be rich and worthy of a king. But I can’t decide that on my own. Please, give me some minutes with my soldiers to discuss the matter.”

Victrix nodded silently, and Emeric the guard opened the huge, double-leaf door. The gang took some chairs in the great hall and Laban asked: “What do you think of that?” He was slightly alarmed that especially Brendan and Mabon could oppose the idea. He looked at Reza to pull at least one warrior directly on his side. His cousin only grumbled something that had to be understood as approval. Dil-Shad looked at Mabon and said then: “I will follow you, Laban! You have done so much for me. I can’t turn down on you.” Now it was Mabon’s turn. He looked grimly and nodded in silent consent. Now, every pair of eyes went to Brendan. He grinned with his swollen face, erected himself to his full height and pounded on his chest. The other moaned annoyed. Would Brendan deliver one of his theatrical shows now? But he wouldn’t, at least it was only a very brief show: “Of course I go. What would and could you bunch of amateurs possibly do without me? And I will not steal you the pleasure of seeing me puking all over the ship the whole time!”

“Then it’s agreed!”, Laban said. “Let’s go and inform the council!” And so they did to the great joy of the leaders of the city. In three days they would go. Victrix commanded to get a strong ship ready and to muster the best crew they could possibly find.

--

End of Book 1

0