Chapter 005 – Marriage Meeting
133 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The eldest son of the Seo household has finally passed the civil service exam and has gotten a government job as an official. They are looking for a suitable bride for him. I want you to meet him if possible.”

“...What?”

Sujin just stared at her father for half a minute without blinking. Then she looked at her mother, who averted her eyes. She looked at her father again, whose face seemed like that of a soldier who was prepared to die.

Her grandfather was also standing behind them, who had the same expression as her father. Her grandmother—she was standing near the door with her younger grandchildren. She looked at all of them with deep concern in her eyes.

They all waited for Sujin’s violent outburst, which didn’t come.

“Does he have a good income?”

“...What?”

“I asked whether he has a good income or not.”

Everyone present there just stared at Sujin, with their jaws literally dropped and their eyes almost coming out of their sockets.

“Y—yes, I heard it was around 8 million won a month,” said her father.

“Wow, that's almost four times as much as mine. Not to mention the security and pension and stuff. I bet he already has a line of girls waiting for their chance to marry him.”

“Y—yes?” Her father and grandfather were now looking at her worriedly. Did she hit her head that bad? Or…

Did she suffer that much in the last four years she stayed away that she is agreeing to the marriage without any complaint?

“I’m not agreeing to anything, I am just agreeing to meeting him. And no, I am not reading your minds. It's all on your faces. Rather, I am not sure why you guys think he would marry a girl like me who is almost past her prime and also has a huge debt on her head.”

“T-that—he might find you charming...”
“...Sujin…”

She simply sighed. “Well, if you want me to meet him, I’ll take the gamble. Don’t worry, I am not the Sujin that will act immature and reject a golden goose right in front of me anymore. I will meet him, and I will try to impress him as well, but remember that I don’t have much to offer compared to others. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go to the washroom.”

Sujin simply walked past them as they all stared dumbfoundedly at her. Seriously, was it really that surprising?

 


 

...Are you sure about this?’ Jason asked as Sujin lay on her bed, blankly staring at the ceiling. If someone else saw her, they would think she was deeply contemplating something. Jason knew better that her head just was blank.

Well, I’ve got nothing to lose anyway. Weren’t you saying that I’ll become a 40 year old cat lady when all the debts are paid? Well, now I have the chance to meet a guy with a stable job. I heard that he also lives in the city—not Gangnam, but city nonetheless. If he does provide for me, and if I manage to both attend a local university and work from home, I will be able to both have a family and be able to pay off my debts, with my husband's help of course. Well, if he actually becomes my husband, which probably will not happen. The odds are not on my side.

Jason contemplated for a moment. He knew things here were a little different from the West, but still...

...Regardless of odds, will you truly be happy? Is this what you really want?

Last time I wanted something for myself, look how it all turned out.

Well… let’s just see what happens. At least we are determined about not changing our plans, right?

Right.

Someone else entered the room at that moment.

“...Yoonah? You’re here?” Sujin was kind of astonished to see her younger sister in her room. She was staring blankly at her.

“Y-you needed something?”

She said nothing and just handed her her phone and indicated to her to see it.

And she saw—

A family photo of three five people. One old man, one old woman, two young woman and—

A man who towered over all of them in height…

and width.

...I wonder if this guy plays sumo as a side job or something. What do you think, Sujin? ...Sujin? Earth to Sujin?

&$&%($&#*#(#*!!!

Sujin was just a petite girl of 155 cm and 45 kg. She had met the old lady of the Seo household before, she was at least 170 cm. Sujin was sure of that.

Yet the young man was at least 20 cm taller than even that lady. And each of his arms seemed wider than her head!

Not to mention that belly. He really did look like a sumo wrestler.

For a moment, a really scary image flashed through Sujin’s mind.

 

Their first wedding night.

‘Hubby…’ She shyly covered her bare bosom, with deep embarrassment visible on her face.

‘Wifey…’ The gigantic man was in a kneeling position on top of her, his weight being supported by his huge arms. He slowly removed her hands. She shyly covered her eyes with the back of one of her palms. ‘You’re so pretty... I am barely holding myself back, you know?’

‘...you don’t have to hold back anymore, dear. Make me yours. Mark me as yours.’ She held up her arms, as if she wanted him to hug her. The embarrassment was visible in her eyes, but there were also hints of longing.

‘Oh, Sujin…’

The man slowly gave up the support on his arms, approaching her. She saw the man getting closer and closer, faster and faster.

Like a huge boulder crashing on top of her, leaving no way of escape.

 

She returned to her senses thanks to Jason’s ‘head smack’. Yoonah just blinked at her elder sister, who just smacked herself in the head. Little did she know that her sister had two different personas inside her head.

In the last two weeks, both Sujin and Jason had managed to both synchronize and compartmentalize their movements and actions. They were literally ‘dual core’ now, with the ability to focus on two completely different things at the same time.

Stop imagining such scary stuff!’ She could feel a shudder travelling through her spine. She knew it was because of Jason. He was really freaked out. A part of her was actually enjoying his suffering. He was always blabbering about hypergamy and pills and stuff. Things are really different when you are the one on the receiving side, aren’t they?

But still, it was one hell of a scary vision...

Yoonah smirked. “This is the fate you resolved yourself into. Good luck surviving that.” She then took the phone and went away.

 

...You think she was here to warn us? I don’t think she just wanted to ridicule us.

...Jason.

Hm?

Do you honestly think Manager Sung managed to somehow travel back in time?

Dunno. You might have to ask him, and he might not answer.

If he did, you think he would teach me how to do that as well?

...I am not sure he would even know how to do that. Look at me for example, I had zero interest in necromancy and I have never visited any religious nor Satanist convention. Yet I am here. Why do you ask?

I want to travel back in time and slap myself in the face.

You know you could just... refuse? I can tell that your family was half expecting you to just do that.

...We really need to pay off all the debts. If I take too much time, it might become too late to cure Doyoon. He can help me cut off the time by almost 40%.

...Well, there is no harm in meeting them, I guess? I mean, we might be the ones to get rejected instead.

True.

For now, Sujin just decided to sleep away everything. She closed her eyes and focused on the soft and comfy bed. She had already been sleeping on it for the last two weeks, but she still felt nostalgic sometimes. It was not anything special, but it felt so much more comfortable than the one in the dorm. Why did she ever leave everything and go there?

Well, she would have to leave it again if she actually got married, right?

Sujin?

Hm?

I know he’s not... exactly your ideal type. But do you think you will feel hurt if you actually get rejected?

...To be honest, I will be a little. I already have self esteem issues, and a rejection even from that guy just seems like the final nail on the coffin.

From my experience, you do not need a significant one to lead a happy life, if you have a caring family and good friends. You are blessed with both, you know that?

'Unfortunately, I'm not blessed with money. Which is the thing my family needs most right now.'

Jason was not exactly wrong. Sujin was not even sure romance would even work for her anymore. Jason did live a happy and free life after his divorce. Sujin kind of found that freedom... exciting.

Not to mention his preferences. Sujin did realize that she had started to look at girls in a… different way than before. Well, being a straight person, she did find it a bit off-putting, but that resistance was a lot less for really—really pretty girls.

She could tell that Jason was also going through something similar. Thanks to him, she was not attracted to ‘every’ kind of man. Due to the time she had been in the industry, she was used to seeing tons of handsome men, and she subconsciously set her standards a bit too high. Thanks to him, it got even higher.

The bell wouldn’t ring for her unless the other party was either an extremely handsome guy or a really beautiful girl—the nation toppling types.

Romance was ruined for her. She sighed, and Jason did so as well.

I guess we will be getting old with having only each other for ourselves.

...That sounds so narcissistic.

Heh.

Sujin and Jason both smirked. Regardless of the outcome of the marriage meeting, their objectives would not change.

Earn money. Clear the debt. Heal Doyoon. Get a stable job with better income. May be settle down with a good… guy if possible. Things were not that liberal here.

She felt a little sleepy now. Thanks to all the mental conversation, she felt a little light. The bed was comfy. She had the cheat of parallel-processing. She felt her eyelashes getting heavy. She had to have hope. Things would become better, she would fix everythi—

If I touch myself and leave my hands to Jason, will it still be masturbation?

Sujin snapped her eyes open.

Jason! Stop thinking about stupid stuff!

Stop blaming me. That was all you.

No it wasn’t!

Stop being in denial. You know that I always meditate or do push ups and stuff to deal with stressful situations. You are the one who always takes the easy way out.

Sujin had no way to refute that. Sudden remembrance of the past and feeling guilt? Stress from the job? Occasional migraines?

Usually alcohol would have done the trick. But she was not allowed to have it yet.

And she might act calm, but she did feel stressed about the sudden marriage thingy.

It might actually feel better than usual? Trying it once wouldn’t hurt right?

She instantly sat up and mentally sent a glare at Jason. It was not her this time.

...Sorry, I kinda got curious as well. Let’s just meditate it away.

Horniness was a weird thing. Sometimes it arrived without any prior notice, and then took a long time to go away. Fortunately, they both managed to avoid treading down a path they both do not want to.

For now.

 


 

Sujin was again riding the second hand car her family bought along with her family. They were all heading towards some restaurant where they will meet up with the Seo family.

“S-Sujin! T-There is no reason to be anxious! Keep calm, okay!”

“I am calm, Mom. You are the one who’s getting anxious here.”

“What should I do… did we go overboard with the makeup? What if they find it vulgar and—”

“Mom. Just. Calm. Down.”

Sujin’s mother, Chae Yeonha, cowered at her daughter’s deadpan stare. She was a really timid woman, just like how the other Chae Eunha pretended to be. That bitch.

“Honey, you are worrying way too much. Our daughter looks lovely. Everything will be fine. Probably.” Her father, Lee Beomseok said while driving the car.

“What do you mean probably?! Don’t say such unholy stuff! Oh Jesus, please…”

Sujin paid no attention to her mother’s prayers and looked at the window glass. She could see her own reflection in it. There was nothing exactly wrong with her makeup. She looked pretty. Smooth straight hair, heart shaped face, double eyelids and bigger eyes—just like a beautiful doll. She would cry if she did not look like this after all the surgeries she went through. Not that she looked particularly ugly without going through them, just average. It's just… to the teenage her, average was just another synonym to ugly.

She felt a pang in her heart thinking about the medical bills...

Ding! She looked at her phone which just received a message from her friends.

 

Jiyeon: I’m booooored *bored emoji* whatcha girls doing?

Chunja: Eating a sandwich, just got a break.

Jiyeon: Me too! Mine is super bland though… only veggies inside.

Chunja: Mine as well.

 

Sujin was also feeling bored and totally not nervous! She also decided to join the fray.

 

Sujin: What? You two got fat or something?

Jiyeon: Don’t say it!

Chunja: As bland as usual, huh. So, what are you doing?

Sujin: Having a marriage meeting.

 

Sujin had to mute the conversation with how the two started bombarding her with questions.

 

Jiyeon: WHAT! YOU’RE GETTING MARRIED?!! *shocked emoji*

Chunja: So one of us is finally hitting the bucket. Lucky you *sighing emoji*

Jiyeon: Who is the lucky man?!

Sujin: Calm your tits, girls. It’s not final yet.

Chunja: At least tell us how he looks!

Sujin: Like a celebrity.

Jiyeon: *heart eyed emoji* Like who?!

Chunja: Yeah! Who???

Sujin: Oh Joong Seok.

Jiyeon: ...are you serious?

Sujin: Yep.

 

Oh Joong Seok was a famous comedian, well known for his... bulky physique. It told the other girls everything they needed to know.

 

Jiyeon: Are you doing this willingly? Is your family forcing you?

Chunja: Why are you doing this, Sujin? You can surely do better!

Sujin: Better than a Secretary in the Ministry of Finance?

Jiyeon: ...Damn. Does he have an elder or younger brother?

Chunja: ...Okay, but still… what about your own happiness?

 

Sujin did not reply anymore. Her own happiness, huh…

Doyoon’s smile mattered more to her right now.

 

After ten more minutes of the bumpy ride, they finally reached the restaurant. They noticed a brand new car standing in front of it. In such a rural area, it looked really out of place.

“Oh, it seems like they are already here.” Lee Beomseok said.

“W-What if they are angry with us being late… oh no…” Chae Yeonha started shivering again as her husband embraced her to give her courage.

As they entered the restaurant, they noticed a wealthy looking family sitting around a large table. Two old people and another young, who stood up and approached them.

Fuck, he’s even bigger than I thought.’ Sujin gulped.

'That's what she—sorry, it's nothing.'

The awkward marriage meeting finally began.

 

I can feel that I have messed up all the numbers (salary, height, weight etc.) in some way—just as usual. I am just bad with them.

I hope I can finish the meeting within next chapter and get to the real good stuff—earning money, which will probably take from two weeks to a month to write. I am not really a multi-tasker, I can only focus on one story at a time.

5