Case 2: The Stringless Puppet and the First Step
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a dark and cold void, a young girl walks. Alone and shivering, she keep walking forward. In the midst of her journey, she found a warm flame. The flame flickers as if inviting the girl to its side. As if captivated by the flame, the girl slowly approached it.

Warm… It’s warm….

In the middle of the harsh coldness, the flame brings warmness and comfort. The girl extend her hands, wishing to hold the flame close. And as if the flame understand her intention, it obediently float to her hands. As the girl feels more of its warmness, a gentle smile started to form in her mouth. In that warmness, she slowly move the flame to her chest and closed her eyes.

However, suddenly she felt something unusual from the flame. The warmness of the flame starts to grow weaker. As she opened her eyes and looked at the flame, the flame started to shrink. The girl was startled.
Seeing the flame slowly being extinguished, she gave her all to protect the flame from being put out. However, no matter what she do, the flame is getting smaller and smaller. She tried to cover the flame, but it’s all just in vain. In the end, the last spark of the flame flickered, and it forever disappeared to the void.
The girl fell on her knees. Her eyes look hollow, as she falls into despair. Without her realize, a tear fall from her eye. And in a second, more tears flowed down from her cheeks.

But soon after, she could feel another warmness from her back. The warmness that exceed the small flame that was just extinguished. The girl turn around and saw another flames. As she turn to her side, she noticed yet another flames, and before she realized, she was surrounded by countless of warm flames. Immediately after, the flames lit up a blinding light simultaneously. The girl immediately covered her eyes.

Warm…. It’s very warm…..

The warmness could be felt everywhere…..

The girl opened her eyes and saw a beautiful flower field. The darkness and coldness from before completely disappeared, as if they were a lie to begin with. The flames that surrounded her have now become bright lights. The lights shine brightly, and as if it’s a miracle, her eyes are not dazzled or blinded by them. The lights emit gentle, warm and kind atmosphere.

Among the countless lights, there are two lights that stood by each others before her. The girl do not wish to lose the lights and warmness like before. She extend her hands and try to reach the lights, and as if the lights understood her, they reach for her hands.

A platinum haired girl slowly opened her eyes, awakened from her slumber. As she tried to get off from her bed, she stumbled down as if her legs lost their power. She put her hands on the bed’s side to support her as she try to stand up.

As the girl cast her gaze out of her window, she saw a beautiful afternoon plains welcoming her awakening. Soon after, the girl exited to the terrace. The breeze with flower petals blows past her hair. The young woman stood in silence as the gentle breeze caress her cheek, and as the flower petals flown higher to the sky.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★

 

Finally… the time has come.

“Jake, are the equipments ready?” [Ian]

“Yeah. Let’s go!” [Jake]

In one of the company’s hallway, Jake and I carried our equipments to our car. Finally, the time has come…. for our very first mission.

After we became agents, we were divided into groups. Each group consist of two agents. I was grouped with Jake, while Holly was grouped with Sheema. Jake and I are now partners.

Right after we put our equipments in our vehicle, I realized that I forgot about the machine’s key. I immediately run back to the room to fetch it.

After retrieving the car key and on my way back to Jake, I saw someone carrying huge files. He seems struggling carrying the files. His movement is a bit wobbly, suggesting that he could slip and fall at any moment. And just as I thought that, the expected occurred. I immediately run to help him.

“Are you alright?” *help the person* [Ian]

“Ah, I’m okay.”

I help the young man up, and then I help him with his scattered files.

“Ah, thank you.. Hmm? Are you a new agent here?”

“Yes. My name is Ian.” *give the files to him* [Ian]

“Oh, nice to meet you, Ian. I am….”

The young man immediately start to make poses.

“Azen Jerobeam, Researcher Extra-Ordinaire!”

As he said that, I could hear fanfare behinds him. And as he smile and correct his glasses, the glasses made a glint.

“……” [Ian]

“………” [Azen]

“…………….” [Both]

“……. A-As I thought… That was embarrassing….” *cover his face in embarrassment* [Azen]

(Then why did you do that in the first place?) *sweat* [Ian]

For some reason, this feels like a deja vu, too…

Just then, Jake came to check on me. When he saw Azen, he recognized and greet him. Noticing about Jake, Azen also greeted him. It appears they are acquaintance. Jake revealed that Azen is the son of the president.

I’m very surprised at the revelation. The son of the president!? That explained a lot of things.

Seeing my surprised expression, Azen just laugh and confirmed Jake’s statement. Azen said that he is not as a great man as his father is, but one day, he will become a man that could stand by his side.

After that, we part with Azen for our first mission. Azen wished us good luck in our work, in which we thanked him.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★

 

The sound of engine roared in the woods.

Riding our car, we are on our way to our client.

“So, uh… our very first job, huh? Let’s see… our client is….” *depressed* “The Morningdew family….” [Jake]

While I drove the car, Jake is reviewing the files about our clients. But as he said our clients’ name, he immediately fell dispirited. Seeing the circumstance, it’s… understandable…

 

Few hours ago, we were at the briefing with the chief. On her table, the chief gave us our first client.

“Ian, Jake. This is your first client.” [Marge]

*Take the papers* “Let’s see…. the Morningdew family… Spencer and Rosa Morningdew..” [Jake]

Jake study the information on the paper about the client further.

“Yeah. And do note that one of the family members is dying.” [Marge]

Ah, I see. So it’s one of the dying-type, or Final Vacation as we call it. That means we need to take extra caution.

“Right! No problem! We can take this on!” [Jake]

Jake said confidently after he finished reviewing the clients.

*chuckle* “That’s what I like to hear. Oh, by the way, please take this seriously.” [Marge]

On the last bit of her words, somehow the chief’s tone change.

“The Morningdew family…. is the close friends of the president.” [Marge]

“Whaaatt!!?” [Jake]

“…!” [Ian]

I was frozen on spot when I heard about the news. Although my mouth just made a small gasp, I was screaming internally.

 

The close friends of the president…..

“Since we’re new and all, I kinda expecting our first job to be more… simple. I mean, we’re new and all after all. I don’t expect our first job to be this…. BIG!!” [Jake]

I’m very surprised with this as well. It would be a lie if I said it doesn’t vex me.

“Of all the groups, we’re the one who got the jackpot…” *depressed* [Jake]

Jake is clearly worried. I mean, it’s understandable, since this is the close friends of the president we’re talking. That means we must take this seriously. There are no room for errors.

“But think about it, Jake. Of all the agents, we’re the one who were given this crucial job. That means the chief, and even the president must have confidence in our abilities.” [Ian]

“Hmm…... You know what.. you’re right! I mean, both of us are good with the machines and all. We scored the highest in both theory and practical exams.” [Jake]

Actually, you’re the one who scored the highest at the theory. But, we did pretty decent at practical.

“We’re the dynamic duo! The Super Agent Brothers! Yeah, we got this!!” [Jake]

I tried to encourage him and thankfully it worked. Rather, it worked too well. I glance at Jake as he laugh heartily.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★

 

We arrived at a house in the prairie. A simplistic, yet cozy house. According to the address, this should be the Morningdew residence.

A moment after we knocked on the door, a maid greeted us.

“Good afternoon, we are from the Rubywing Company.” [Ian]

“Ah, yes. We have been expecting you. Please come in.” [Maid]

After the maid guided us in, she told us to have a sit while she will call her master.

This is it… our first client. I admit I’m quite nervous. I can tell Jake also felt the same way, as he keep playing with his fingers.

Short moments later, a young woman came down and greet us.

“Ah, you must be the agents. Welcome, welcome!”

The young woman introduce herself as Rosa Morningdew. We have our introduction as well.

“All right! So, what sort of vacation would you like? Where would you like to go?”, Jake brightly ask Ms. Rosa.

Jake offered a beautiful places, such as Hawaii, Tahiti, or if they prefer mountains, there are places like Mt. Fuji or Switzerland’s Alps.

“Uh… Um….” [Rosa]

Hm? I think Ms. Rosa is about to say something. But since Jake doesn’t notice, he continue his offers as he start to introduce fantasy places as well. After he finished, Ms. Rosa went into silent. After a while, she finally opened her mouth.

“Well… actually….. It’s not for vacation that we called you here.” [Rosa]

Not vacation…? As I wonder what she means, Ms. Rosa continued.

“The reason why we called you here is…. It’s because we want you to help us communicate with my husband!” [Rosa]

Ms. Rosa said her piece as if she’s giving her all to say it.

After Ms. Rosa calmed downed for a bit, she begun to tell us the story.

“You see…. After my husband Spencer had suddenly fall into a coma, we…. we discovered that.. he’s dying from a tumor…” *Tears start to fell* “And after he regained his consciousness, he lost his ability… to move.. or talk..” [Rosa]

Ms. Rosa speak slowly with pauses, as if she struggled to convey her message.

*soft sniffle* “I… I know that he’s dying.. I’ve already accepted that fact, but still…. I…. Before we part, at least…” *sniffle* “At the very least…. we wish to speak to him for one last time!”, Ms. Rosa said with great determination despite her blurred vision.

“I have heard about the Rubywing. That their technologies could help people communicate with each other, even when the other person is mute and helpless, or even in coma. That is why I thought… I thought we could use your power to speak with my husband.” [Rosa]

That is true.. Our technology connects to the clients’ brain directly and send them to the virtual world as their respective Virtual Avatar. Naturally, as their Virtual Avatar, they can speak normally. So it seems Ms. Rosa wish to use that technology to her advantage to speak with her husband.

“I know what we asked might be a bit strange, but… we need to have at least one last conversation with him! So please…. please, help us….” *bow* [Rosa]

Seeing how desperate Ms. Rosa is, and how passionate she ask for help, we naturally accept her request.

“Of course we’ll help! You can leave that to us!” [Jake]

“Yes. This is still within the scope of our duty. Naturally we will help you.” [Ian]

“Ah! Thank you very much!” [Rosa]

Thereafter, Ms. Rosa told us that her husband is currently in their room on the 2nd floor.

After that, we immediately prepare the equipments from our car and carry them to the said room.

Carrying our equipments, we walk to the 2nd floor following Ms. Rosa. In front of the said room, Ms. Rosa note that this is our destination. She slowly turned the door knob and open the door. As the door opened, we saw a man lying on the bed, and by his side is a young woman watching over him.

The young woman immediately turn her attention to us. A young woman with a platinum blonde hair and sky blue eyes. She have a still, emotionless face as she gazes at us.

Looking at her figure and face, the first thing that came to my mind is that she must be a foreigner. However, I must say she’s pretty…. Seeing her, it’s almost as if…. I’m looking at a doll..

“Oh, Grace! You’re up. Are you okay?” [Rosa]

The young woman stood up and gave Ms. Rosa salute.

“Reporting. After resting and recharge my energy, I am all green.” [Grace]

“Thank goodness.” [Rosa]

The young woman give a strict and straight reply as if she is a soldier.

Ms. Rosa introduced the young woman to us. The name of the young woman is Grace, she is a familiar of her husband. And the man who’s lying on the bed is naturally her husband Spencer.

Ms. Rosa told Grace that we are the Rubywing agents that will help them.

“The… Rubywing….” [Grace]

“Yes. It’s—“ [Rosa]

“Why..? Why is the Rubywing here!?” [Grace]

As soon as she learnt about us, her once expressionless face is immediately filled with anger and fear. Her once monotone voice is now filled with emotions.

“The Commander will…. The Commander will recovered! You have told me so, Ms. Morningdew!” [Grace]

As Grace said that, tears start to well up in her eyes. Fear can be heard in her voice.

Feeling as though Grace misunderstood us, Jake try to step up to resolve it, however Grace immediately shot at him to stay back. After feeling she cannot handle the condition anymore, Grace immediately take the Commander with her and jump out of the window.

“Grace!!” [Rosa]

All of us are surprised. What we are surprised for, however, is not only to the fact that she break through the window while carrying the commander, but also to the fact that we saw Grace’s body transforming. Although her legs still show human skin, jets coming out from them. And from her right hand, a transparent shield emitted from it.
Also, even though I know this is irrelevant, I noticed that she have a number tattooed on the back of her neck.

After a moment of silent, Jake is the one who break the ice.

“That girl, Grace… She is a ‘Weapon’, isn’t she?” [Jake]

‘Weapon’? What is that?

“Ian, do you know about the ITO war?” [Jake]

The ITO war. Yes, of course. In fact, the better question is “Who doesn’t know?”. The ITO war is a very well-known war that the whole world know.

8 Years ago in the Middle-East, there was a movement from a group of terrorists called ITO. When they started the war, the world leaders predicted that they will become a big threat to the world should they let these terrorists alone. And so, they formed alliance and strike the ITO while their power was still less threatening.
However, ITO is a powerful organization. For years, the military forces struggled to defeat the ITO. Thankfully in the end, the conflict finally concluded this year with the military’s triumph.

Jake nod after I replied positively to his question. Then he continued,

“You probably know that the ITO war has been a very difficult battle for the military, but in the end, the military managed to win. Their victory…. It’s all thanks to the new unit they created called the ‘Weapon’ Unit.” [Jake]

Jake explained that the Weapon unit is the unit where all their members are cyberized. In other words, their members are all cyborgs. But the cyborgs type of his unit is different from the common, well-known cyborgs that use steel robotic parts. These cyborgs are using the prosthetic from the Bio-Organic Implantation Technology.

Jake admits that he doesn’t know the details about this.

“A year ago, I have a chance to see one.”, Jake added. “Their design is very unique, there’s no way I won’t recognize it.”

Ms. Rosa can only nod in agreement after Grace was exposed as a Weapon.

“It looks like I have a lot of things to explain.”, Ms. Rosa said in sad face.

“As you may have guess, my husband was a foreigner. He was a German. My husband came from a military family that served the country for generations. And my husband particularly was so talented that he reached the rank Lieutenant Colonel at early age. However…. after both of us fall in love and married, my husband retired from the military. He came to Indonesia and become an Indonesian all for my sake.

Then that day came…. 8 Years ago, the day when the ITO war began… Since my husband’s family is a military family with deep connection to the country, he was called back to serve and fight the ITO.

As you have said before, the war with ITO was a very difficult war. For 5 years, the military has only done so little progress. Until one day, one of the military team found a hidden base. Inside, is where they found them. The Bionic Children. The ones that later made as the Weapon Unit.

According to my husband, the Bionic Children was once belong to a criminal organization called the Bionic Cartel. I do not know the details, but I heard that they are a very terrible organization and the military hated them greatly.

As the military hate them, they initially refuse to use the Bionic’s power. However, due to their circumstances, the military ends up took the Bionic Children in. This is how they created the Weapon Unit. And…. this is how my husband met Grace.

As I have stated before, the military hate the Bionics, and that means the military hate the ‘Weapon’ they possessed. They treated their ‘Weapon’ harshly. The military would overworked them, beat and abuse them mercilessly, and other cruel things. They did this even though they know they’ve worked hard for them.. and they did this knowing they’re still children.

However, my husband was different. When he received his Weapon, Grace, he did not treat her like the others did. He treat her with love, kindness and respect as a human, as if she is one of his own. I remembered that he was once return to her her precious treasure, and it costed him 2 months worth of his salary.

My husband love and care about Grace, as the result, Grace also grew extremely fond of him. She love him from the bottom of her heart.” *tears start to flow* “That’s why…. that’s why back then, I did not tell her that my husband is dying… I told her that he will recover soon.. I know what I did was wrong, but… I’m scared…. I’m scared of how she would reacted if she discover that my husband is actually dying.. when she discovered she will lose the person she love the most.” [Rosa]

After Ms. Rosa explained her reason, her tears already flowed heavily from her eyes.

After hearing her story, Jake and I fall into silence. But after a while, I stood up.

“Then… Shall we look for her?” [Ian]

No matter what the circumstance is, right now our first step is to find Grace and Mr. Morningdew. After hearing my suggestion, both Jake and Ms. Rosa agree with it.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★

 

“Grace!”, Ms Rosa called her with worries painted all over her face.

After searching around, we finally found her in the plains. She is resting beside a tree with Mr. Morningdew on her lap.

“Ms. Morningdew….”, Grace replied softly.

When Grace gave us her attention, I slowly come to her side.

“Grace, we have heard about Mr. Morningdew’s condition, and we have heard about your relationship with him. We’re very sorry for what had happened. We are well aware that right now, you cannot accept of what happen to Mr. Morningdew. However, no matter how much you deny it, Mr. Morningdew is unable to communicate with us in his current condition. That is why, Grace, we would like to offer you our assistance. Should you wish to talk to Mr. Morningdew once more, we can help you, and we do want to help. So Grace, would you let us help you?” [Ian]

“…… ……” [Grace]

Grace falls into silence. Her eyes are wavering as if she’s in the middle of a great dilemma. But in the end, she accepted our offer as she said, “Understood”.

Immediately after her reply, we took our equipments from the room. It’s quite unprecedented, but due to the circumstances, we need to do it in the plains. Thankfully for us, the device is complete with its power source, therefore we do not need to search for any plugs for electricity.

After everything is set and ready, Mr. Spencer, Ms. Rosa and Grace wear the helmets.

Back when we ask what place do they wish to go to, Ms. Rosa answered any place is fine. But right after she said that, I suddenly got an idea for the best place for them. And when I suggested the idea, both Ms. Rosa and Jake accepted it heartily. Jake said something like, “That’s my Luigi!” while giving me a thumbs out.
So you’re happy being the fat guy, huh? Although I’m tempted to retort, right now, we need to do our work. Now let’s hope they will have a proper conversation and good time together…. at the Flower Meadow..

 

★★★★★★★★★★★

 

As per the procedure of the machine, when the clients wear the helmets and are send to the Virtual World, they will physically “asleep”. So right now, Mr. Spencer, Ms. Rosa and Grace are asleep as their consciousness are being transported to the Virtual World.

When Grace slowly opened her eyes, she saw a beautiful flower field, and right beside her, she saw Rosa who’s also look stunned at the scenery. Seeing the flower field, a nostalgic sense hit her. This flower field… it is as if she was here before.. But as she was about to find her answer, a gentle voice called her name and Rosa’s.

“S…. Spenc…er…”, Rosa speak of her beloved’s name as tears burned her eyes. Immediately, she run and embraces her husband. Grace on the other hand looks speechless. The Commander who is weak and dying, suddenly stand tall and looks fine as if he was never sick in the first place. As Spencer called her to his side and offer his hand, Grace run to him and embraced him as Rosa.

Spencer gently pat her head, he could feel the part of his clothes where Grace’s face is slowly getting wet.

“Commander…. Commander….”, Grace called. A relief and happiness can be heard from her tone, as if the person she longed for has returned.

Spencer realizes that his time is very short. Without delay, he smile and began to speak to his beloveds.

“Rosa…. First of all, thank you… thank you for everything. Thank you that you took someone like me as your husband. Thank you for loving and accepting me despite of my flaws. Right now, my one and only regret is that… I cannot give you more than I should’ve….” [Spencer]

“My dear Spencer… My darling…. Whether you are rich or poor, I love you. Always have, always will.. You have already gave me much, much happiness. The time we spend together is the most precious gift to me.. It is the treasure I cherish the most. Thank you so much, Spencer.. That even though I’m no longer wealthy, you still accepted me and took me as your wife. Spencer Morningdew… from the bottom of my heart.. I love you….” [Rosa]

After the couple have their moment, and Rosa assured her husband that they’ll be alright after he left, Spencer turns to Grace.

“Grace… First of all, I’m sorry… Initially we have thought to adopt you as our daughter. We have thought the three of us could live together as a family. But to think things ended up this way…. I’m sorry Grace… I’m sorry that I cannot stay together with you as I have promised.. I’m sorry that I have to say goodbye….” [Spencer]

“Commander…. I…. I cannot function without you… I need your orders. I need you—….” *tears falls as Grace start having difficulty to speak* “Don’t die….. Don’t leave……”, Grace said as she tighten her grip.

“Grace…. I know that after I left, you will feel loss and fall into a deep grief. But I know that, even after I’m gone, you will survive, and you will thrive. I know that you will become a strong independent woman. The one who will love and shows compassions for others.” [Spencer]

“But Commander, I….” [Grace]

Spencer put both of his hands on Grace’s shoulders. With firmness, he spoke to Grace.

“You are not alone, Grace. You will never be alone. I know you will get through this pain and grow stronger. Grow into a more mature and beautiful woman. I believe in you.” [Spencer]

Spencer hug her gently.

“I’m grateful… I’m very, very grateful that you are my ‘Weapon’, Grace.” [Spencer]

After Spencer and Grace have their moment, Rosa spoke.

“Spencer, my dear. Now that the three of us are together, shall we do that?” [Rosa]

“Ah, of course. Let’s not waste this chance.” [Spencer]

The Morningdew couple turn to Grace. The place is perfect and the moment feels right. This is their big chance.

“Grace, as I have told you before, we planned to adopt you as our daughter. So if it’s okay with you, will you be our daughter?” [Spencer]

“…. If… If that is your order, Commander. Yes, I shall accept of becoming your daughter.”, Grace answered in a dutiful tone, but behind that tone, a small genuine emotions of happiness and acceptance can be felt.

Right after Grace accepted the proposal, immediately Rosa hug her.

“Yay! I finally have a cute daughter! Grace, now we’re family!” [Rosa]

And right after Rosa, Spencer in turn hug Grace. He poured in his hug, his love and compassion, knowing that this is the last time he could give it to her.

“Grace, be free… Live and gain a lot of experiences. You are my daughter.. my family. I love you..” [Spencer]

Hearing his last words, Grace’s eyes quietly shake.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★

 

A day after our service, the family were having Mr. Spencer’s funeral. Once again, the Morningdew family grief over the loss of their loved one. Ms. Rosa has been holding Grace close in her arms as she grief. Grace might not show it clearly, but it is apparent she is grieving as well.

The friends and other family members of the Morningdew family attends the funeral, including the president and his family. Needless to say, both me and Jake also attend to show our respect.

 

As the rain heavily pours down throughout the funeral, it is subsided as we reach its end. However, its dark clouds still roams the sky.

 

“Thank you very much for using the Rubywing service. We truly hope we have satisfied your needs.” [Ian]

After the funeral, at the Funeral House’s parking lot, we give our gratitude to the Morningdews.

“Thank you for coming as well. It’s very comforting that you came to Spencer’s funeral.” [Rosa]

“Don’t worry about it. It’s the least we could do. We’re very sorry for your loss…” [Jake]

“Thank you… very much…”, Ms. Rosa said with a gentle smile.

“Ms. Morningdew…” [Grace]

as we spoke with each other, Grace who has been quiet called to her new mother.

“Yes, dear?”, Ms. Rosa answered gently.

“Back then when we were together at the flower field, both you and the Commander said that we are family. But how could that be? According to my data, ‘Families’ are those who shares the same blood. And I believe from my analysis, our blood are not the same nor was it shared. Why did you called us ‘Family’?” [Grace]

Sharing blood…? Perhaps what she’s trying to say is “Blood-related”. But thankfully Ms. Rosa understood what she meant.

“Well, family does not have to be blood-related, dear. Even someone who are different can become a family.” [Rosa]

That’s right. Didn’t she just got adopted last time? Why the question, I wonder.

“Then…. what is ‘Family’?” [Grace]

Ms. Rosa give her best to explain “Family” to Grace, but… it’s not good! Her explanation just make things more complicated. Grace went silent after hearing the explanation.

“…. Ms. Morningdew..?” [Grace]

“Yes, dear?” [Rosa]

“What is ‘Love’?” [Grace]

Hearing her question, we fall into silence.

“Do you…. really don’t know what ‘Love’ is?” [Jake]

“Yes. I have heard about it many times. I have seen before when an individual said ‘I love you’ to another. Back at the flower field, the Commander said the words to me. But… what does the word ‘Love’ means? What does it implies?” [Grace]

Once again Ms. Rosa give her best to explain, but once again, it’s not good as her explanation just makes things worse.

“….. …… Forgive me, Ms. Morningdew. I fail to understand what you mean….”, Grace said lowering her head, as if she’s disappointed for failing to understand her explanation.

“Ugh… no, I’m sorry… I can’t seem to explain it properly….” [Rosa]

Grace looks down in thought with her face that says, “‘Love’… ‘Family’…. what do those means…? Why did you say that, Commander..?”.

Seeing Grace who lost in her thought, I share my opinion.

“You don’t have to think too much, Grace.” *gentle smile* [Ian]

“…?” [Grace]

“Even if you do not know the meaning of the words, you have already shown ‘Love’, especially to the Commander. You have already treat him as your ‘Family’.” [Ian]

Upon hearing my words, Grace’s eyes widen.

Short moment after, it’s time for us to part. We said our farewell to the Morningdew Family.

The mission is a bit unusual, but we managed to complete it with flying colors.

 

★★★★★★★★★★★

 

After we returned, we gave our reports to the chief.

“Well, you did well out there. Good job.” [Marge]

“Ahahaha!! Of course we did it! Cause we’re awesome!!” [Jake]

“Hmph.”, Marge nod in satisfaction to Jake’s reply.

“By the way, I assume you’ve met the ‘Weapon’.” [Marge]

She must be talking about Grace.

“Yes, we did.” [Ian]

“So, how was she?” [Marge]

Her condition? Ah, perhaps she knows that Grace love her father very much, and now she ask her condition after her father left.

We try to explain to her as best as we can regarding her condition, but the think that capture the Chief’s attention is when she heard that Grace asked what ‘Love’ and ‘Family’ is. In other words, she wants to learn what is ‘Love’ and ‘Family’. After hearing that, the Chief gives out a smile.

“So now she want to learn what is ‘Love’, huh?” *standing up from her chair* “That’s good…. after all, wanting to know what ‘Love’ is is the first step of discovering your purpose…”, Chief Marge said as she turn, backing us and look at the window outside.

What was that? Wanting to know about “Love” is… a first step to discover your purpose…? Does that means one’s purpose is connected to “Love”?

…..

Right now, I may not understand what it means, but…. if this may be connected to what the Purpose of Live is.. a clue to reach my answer, then….

And with that, I keep the Chief’s words in my mind.

Thus this ends our first mission. After our report with the Chief, Jake and I walk in the corridor.

“Hehehe, I can’t wait to tell the others about this! Our very first mission, our very first success!!” [Jake]

‘Well, I’m just glad that it’s over. …. What’s wrong Jake?” [Ian]

For some reason after saying that, Jake looked a bit down as if he’s thinking something.

“You know… I never thought that I would see another ‘Weapon’ again. The first time I saw it, I can say that they are very amazing creations.. Complex, but a masterpiece. But when I first saw a ‘Weapon’, they are very stiff. They only know how to follow orders. They’re literally robots, even though they are supposed to be cyborgs.

But when I saw Grace.. she’s different. Even though she’s a ‘Weapon’, she shows so many emotions. She is acting more… ‘human’….” *chuckle* “Well, in the end, a human will always be a human no matter how much they are cyberized, huh.” [Jake]

“I guess….” [Ian]

“You know…. for some reason, I have a feeling that this may not be the last time we see her.” [Jake]

That’s true. We never know what the future holds. Perhaps one day in the future we will cross-path once again. Maybe weeks, months or even years later. And I do hope that when one day we meet, she would have recovered and have move forward with her life.

After that, both of us retired to our respective rooms to rest.

At that time I never would have thought…. that those simple last words that Jake uttered would cause such a big impact for us in the near future.

 

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Case 2: The Stringless Puppet and the First Step

Closed

 
0