Chapter 3- The Encounter.
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Next morning, when I woke up, my whole body felt uneasy. I was sweating and my breathing rate was abnormal. I suddenly gave out a laugh. ‘What? That thing wanted to kill me with a mop!?’ It was the first thought that came to my mind. ‘Dreams can sometimes be really funny.’ But as I realised that I was laughing…it was the first time I laughed since I regained consciousness. I don’t know if I should’ve felt happy anymore. Being happy seemed selfish. My parents died a tragic death and still I am here smiling. I felt like a terrible daughter. It was a strange feeling. I didn’t remember them but the thought of their death was something terrific. I don’t know if it were my values that were hurting me or my own forgotten feelings towards my parents. My feelings were so entangled…my head was aching. I didn’t want to think about all that now, even if that means I am running from it. I went downstairs and to my surprise no one was there, just a note from Mrs. Huang Ling.

 

‘I am very sorry for leaving you alone in such a condition. But some things can’t be put aside. I and your uncle have urgent work, we’ll come home by evening and as for Jing Jing, she has an important exam today. The food is kept in the fridge. Hope you don’t feel lonely. We’ll try to be back soon.

Your aunt.’

 

In reality, I don’t feel that someone should bother at all about me. I somewhat feel like a parasite, living off of others. But there is nothing I can do about it. And if someday, my demotivating mind filled with negativity, will shut up for some time the world may become a paradise for me. As for now, I’ll have to put up with it and fight my negative thoughts. Thinking this, I went to take a shower.

 

‘It is raining today.’ The air felt fresh in the room. The rain was beating against the room’s window. The sound felt relaxing. I heard it for a while and wondered how would it feel if I opened the window for a bit. As I approached the window, I felt dizzy. I’ve had been having this strange feeling from the time I woke up today. There was some kind of burning feeling in my body. I thought that after taking a shower it would go away, yes, I got a little relief but it seemed to linger again. I felt perhaps I should eat something. My empty stomach may have been revolting, and even if I am sick, I might get some energy. So, I went downstairs. I had entered the kitchen, just when I heard a weird sound coming from the hall. ‘What could it be?’ Seemed like someone broke into the house! It felt terrifying. I hurriedly took a knife and went towards the hall with quiet steps. I was still feeling dizzy and sickly. But still I had to do something. I peeped through the door, there was someone sitting on the sofa, with his back turned towards me. I hid behind the wall, not knowing what to do. My heartbeat had increased and it felt like that my heart could tear my chest and come out any minute. It was a very delicate situation. Originally, I had thought that there would’ve been no one, and just my wild fantasy when I took the knife. I was so resolved, but now I was shivering. What if it were to be my last day? The thought was horrible. No. I don’t want to die now, not now.

 

My head went completely blank when I heard, “Came down to have lunch, eh?” I sprang up and almost jumped to the opposite direction. That person…when did he…when he said it, he was just standing beside me. I didn’t even realise that!!! How could…he didn’t even make a single sound or was I too immersed in my thoughts?

 

I held out the knife and pointed it towards him. That was when I saw him clearly. He had black glossy hair and shiny eyes. ‘Looks good, but why would such a handsome person be a burglar. No, I can’t be swayed. People aren’t all about looks. He is surely brutal than he looks’

“How…dd-did you get in?”, my voice was shaky. “Get out of here, I’ve already called the police, now you won’t be able to do anything.”

He seemed to smirk when he heard this, and slowly walked towards me. I was too terrified to move. “Eh? What are you saying? Don’t you know me? I am Jing Jing’s brother, Huang Lin. Didn’t we meet yesterday?”

‘What did he just say?!’ “Liar! Don’t you dare cheat me. You think…” I couldn’t even complete my sentence. My throat seemed to have been choked. I couldn’t move an inch. My vision started getting blurry until everything became dark.

0