Chapter 5 – Doubting, Wandering
95 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

"You've finally awakened?"

Interrupted by the arrow of light, the masked man finally spoke to Amagi. He tilted his head as if overcome by curiosity.

Amagi pulled her left arm back once more, letting loose another arrow of light.

This time, she gasped as it was deflected far more easily than it was before. Before it even came close to hitting the masked man, the ghastly woman attached to his back swatted the arrow away and diffused it into light particles.

With the masked man refusing to move the visible eye locked on her, Amagi felt her grip on her bow shake. She fired those shots to save her childhood friend, but now that the complete attention of this person was on her, there was the feeling of being crushed under the weight of the gaze behind that mask.

She felt the adrenaline from her early manifestation of the power begin to wear off, even as she looked at her downed childhood friend from a distance.

"You had to manifest your power in that form, huh? I'm disappointed. I wanted a new plaything."

"W-what are you talking about?"

Without answering her question, the masked man began a slow walk.

Amagi felt the weight behind each step that the man took. It was as if the world turned silent, and she could hear each step echo throughout the cathedral as the man slowly advanced towards her.

Her hand maintained the grip on the bow, but the power and resolution that were there seconds ago were gone, flushed away and replaced with hesitation.

"Say, would that plaything come out if I were to crush that toy in front of you? Would I be able to see that beautiful thing if I show you how powerless you still are in front of me?"

Now only a few feet in front of the girl, the masked man raised his tentacles in a menacing manner while the white specter stood in watch. He seemed unconcerned at the bow aimed at him.

Amagi forced herself to materialize an arrow of light once again.

This time, it whirled through the air, and with a thud, the arrow diffused as it hit the cathedral wall.

It was not even a good aim.

Amagi's eyes widened, and she felt her body slowly buckling under the pain she had sustained and the feeling of fear creeping over her.

"What should I do? Should I wrap these tendrils around you and choke out the last of your life force?" As if on cue, the tentacles on his arm separated into individual tendrils that writhed in place. "Stab you with them? Penetrate you and torment you in ways you've never imagined?"

The brunette shook and trembled at the words spoken. She never felt as small and helpless before, and even with the bow in hand, she accepted its utter uselessness.

"Maybe after those, the thing that I truly desired will manifest itself."

What is he talking about?

Amagi failed to comprehend those last words. Not that she could, given that her entire body was screaming for her to make a run for it. Despite everything, her legs were frozen in place.

Is this what fear really feels like?

She can only look on as the masked man continued to slowly close in on her. Now, the pale woman stretched herself out in a serpent-like fashion and went ahead of her master.

Amagi looked at those bladed arms that were now raised above the specter's head. They were ready to strike, and in a few moments, they would slash her apart...

"Amagi!"

Arata!

Amagi snapped out of her trance upon hearing the pained voice of her childhood friend. Her wide, dumbfounded eyes sharpened their gaze, and she hastily put her left hand on the bow.

She was not sure if she still had enough time to fire off an arrow, but it was worth a shot.

She pulled back.

She yelled.

Unfortunately, she might have been tad too late, and she came to this realization after the shadow of the pale executioner loomed over her.

With the blades raised only several inches away from her, the pale spectre let out a banshee-like wail and brought her sharp arms down.

Amagi closed her eyes out of reflex, only to hear a slashing sound from another direction and a louder wail. However, it was not a wail of rage or a battle cry. It was of pain, as if it were the sound of death.

When Amagi opened her eyes, in front of her was the masked man, but he staggered back in an expression of surprise. And on the side, several feet away...

"When Arata took too long, I figured that something could have happened. It was a good thing that I managed to take care of the Class B quickly."

Sayaka Uehara, after talking to herself, turned around and faced the masked man.

The masked man, shaking off his surprise, laughed. The woman attached to him was gone, and where she once was were simply puffs of smoke that slowly diffused into the air. However, Amagi still made out the lower half of the woman, concluding that Uehara bisected the thing horizontally with the sword that she held.

"Indeed you came, Sayaka Uehara. However, I did not like what you did to Setsura."

"Mind telling me what that woman was?" asked Uehara. She locked eyes with the masked man, and to Amagi, it felt as if a full-blown battle between two veteran fighters could begin at any second.

Amagi finally lost her footing and tumbled backwards. As she fell, her bow dissipated into particles, a fact that the masked man did not fail to take notice of. After the second that he spent glancing on her, he turned his focus back on the long-haired swordswoman.

"Setsura? She is a part of me..." said the masked man. "Forget it. She is me, in some twisted sense of the word."

"I'm not fond of riddles. Just spill it out."

Without answering her question, the masked man threw out the tendrils that were his arms. They split and all homed in on the long-haired girl from multiple angles.

"Crimson Lust!"

Amagi heard the incantation, and the next thing she saw was her transfer classmate now looking slightly different. Runic markings resembling roots have appeared all over her body. First on her arms. Then, on her neck and even her cheeks.

As the tendrils closed in on her, she pulled back.

Each succeeding slash looked like blurs to Amagi, and Uehara's agility while moving around and hacking away left her mesmerized. Despite the tentacles closing in at speeds that Amagi had trouble keeping up with, her transfer classmate took care of them handily.

One by one, the tendrils plopped down the ground after receiving the full force of those blurred lines in the air.

She slashed them away individually?

Amagi cannot believe it, but right after the last tentacle fell down, the next thing she saw was the transfer student bearing down on the enemy. The masked man had reformed his tentacle arm, but he was struggling to defend himself as he was getting pulled back.

Yet, he continued swinging that arm in the small gaps between Uehara's slashes in an attempt to hit her. It was a touchy dance between a whip and a sword, both combatants trying to find that opening needed to win.

It was truly a battle between two top-tier fighters in their natural environment.

Amagi had spent a lot of time watching martial arts competitions in sporting events, but none of the blitzing battles she saw on TV and the Internet even came close to this one.

Eventually, the two found their way into a stalemate. When their attacks collided one last time, a powerful magical force was produced at the point of impact, and both fighters were tossed away from each other.

During the break in the action, the masked man briefly lost his footing. He cranked his head and gripped his chest with his unaltered arm, the left one. Then, he exhaled and spoke as he looked at Amagi once again.

"Ah... I'm getting bored. It's just not as fun without Setsura around."

"Are you trying to run away?" asked Uehara.

At this point, Amagi saw the vein-like markings from her classmate slowly dissipate. Amagi also saw her sigh and pant, as if those things on her body had drained her energy. Nevertheless, she kept her full focus on the masked man.

"You're not getting away!"

Uehara leapt at the masked man, but she found her attack blocked by the tentacle arm.

In the middle of the block, the edges of the arm split into multiple tentacles, and they shot outwards, knocking Uehara off and throwing her several feet away.

Then, the follow-up attack came, and it was now the transfer student struggling to defend against the incoming appendages.

She managed to hold her ground and weather the assault even as bits of her halterneck dress were torn from the attack and small cuts appeared on her arms and cheek.

Despite everything, she remained firm, and Amagi could see no backing down from her. However, it was then that the transfer student broke her steady form and wobbled, finally feeling the effects of the attacks.

It would have been a good opportunity for the masked man to attack had another person not stood in his way.

"That's enough!"

Now back to his feet, Kazuki put his shield arm forward, intending to protect Uehara from any possible attacks. He was clearly not completely recovered, but Amagi saw him to be in a far better shape than he was when she first summoned her bow.

Instead of focusing on his supposed opponents, the masked man instead turned to Amagi with a threatening gaze.

"I will fall back for now. In due time, maybe," he pointed at Amagi. "You will blossom into a wonderful form just for me."

A loud noise filled the cathedral when he finished, and a portal materialized behind him. The veiled portal towered over him, and he cocked his head before turning back and walking right through it.

Amagi found herself shaken to her very core as he watched the portal disappear.

With the action finally subsided, she released one more deep breath and repeatedly tapped her chest to calm down her quickly-beating heart.

"You okay?" said Kazuki to Uehara.

"Not enough... I still can't maintain Crimson Lust long enough."

Kazuki then turned to Amagi after hearing the other classmate's reply.

"Amagi!" he shouted as he ran towards the brunette.

"Um..." she interrupted, raising her arm and pointing at the shield on Kazuki's arm. "What just happened? What's this all about, Arata?"

Her two classmates looked at her in return and let out their respective "um..."s, seemingly in confusion in what to do.

2

Out of the veiled portal, Sayaka Uehara stepped out into an empty alley.

She exhaled as she let down another person she supported with her shoulder, the unconscious lowerclassman with red hair.

She's followed by Kazuki Arata. The male classmate carefully stepped out and rubbed his wrists and twirled his neck as he got off the portal.

Feeling a bit refreshed after what had transpired, he then gazed back at the portal to give a look at the last person stepping out.

Miki Amagi, supporting Fujiwara, slowly stepped out the last among the three of them. She hopped onto Aria Alley's pavement, and the veiled portal behind her disappeared with a whirling sound that only the three of them can hear.

With that, she set the unconscious Fujiwara aside and turned to her two classmates.

The three were left alone in an unknown sector of Aria Alley. With no one in sight, the three stopped to take a breather after what they have gone through.

"Arata..." Amagi started.

Already anticipating the incoming questions, Kazuki interrupted her.

"Whatever happens, Amagi, promise that you will not tell anyone. Even Fujiwara."

"So it's all true. That wasn't a dream, right?"

There's really no easy way to feign ignorance on the situation, and she was conscious for so long after fighting with an Armament.

Still, he cannot help but be amazed at Amagi. Just when he was in a pinch, she unlocked her Armament, and with it, she saved him. She did not need any power transference, unlike him.

He shook his head.

"Amagi, thanks for saving me out there."

With the street lamps lighting the place, he was able to see a luminescent blush appear on his childhood friend's cheeks at his remark.

"Arata, I just have one question. Why did you lie to me? Even back then, when you saved me after we met that blonde guy. It was all real, right?"

Kazuki motioned to scratch his hair as he thought of a reply. "That's..."

"Don't you trust me, Arata?"

"I-it's not that. It's..."

He glanced over at his other classmate, and he realized the answer already.

He hated it back then, but he now knew that he was not too different from Uehara all along in not wanting others to be involved. However, what he wanted was not just for his childhood friend's sake.

Whether he admit it directly or not, he knew full well that he did not want to take responsibility. If Amagi had just forgotten everything back then and never came in contact with that world, everything would just be forgotten, and he would not have to take extra steps in teaching someone about the absurd existence of such a world.

"I thought that knowing of a world like that could be too much to handle. This whole thing, with you getting that bow and fighting, I didn't want it to happen."

"So you really did not trust me," responded Amagi, a look of slight disappointment and sadness appearing on her face.

Kazuki paused. He did not have a reply ready for that besides the generic line about protecting his friend from it. After thinking about it, he simply stopped himself from replying altogether.

"Actually, I believe that Arata here was just trying his best to protect you. I agree that it would have been better if a regular person like you would continue to not get involved."

He did not know what caused her to finally insert herself into the conversation, but Kazuki felt relieved that someone was backing him.

Thanks for the save. I owe you one.

He was not sure whether that convinced Amagi or not judging from her expression of slight confusion. However, the brunette only jumped to a new set of questions almost immediately.

"The two of you have known about that world, and that's the reason you've been out late at night, Arata. Is that it? You've been going out and putting yourself in danger with Uehara night after night. Am I correct?"

"That's..." Even Uehara had a tough time giving her reply.

"It's not literally every night!" retorted Kazuki.

"That's unfair, Arata. How many more things are you hiding behind my back?"

"Nothing else, promise."

Kazuki can hear a pin drop after his reply. Even the noise of the people from the distance seemed to have been blotted out by ominous silence. He also felt his heart beat quickly, and he quietly prayed hard that his response would somehow diffuse the tense situation.

After a few seconds, Kazuki felt the tension disappearing as he saw his childhood friend's more loosened expression.

"That's it. I made up my mind. I want to learn about that world. I want to fight alongside you, Arata."

Kazuki hesitated to give his reply. Just what was he fighting for the past week but to protect people from Nullities so that they would not have to be involved in this world?

However, memories of the fight a while ago resurfaced, and he could remember the sensation of death's visage creeping as he ran into an opponent he couldn't defeat.

No. An opponent even the two of them cannot defeat.

He glanced at Uehara for answers but got none.

As his eyes met Amagi's again, he saw a glimpse of a familiar person.

Having gotten a fresh taste of power and a newfound curiosity, that person wanted to open the book on a new journey to be with someone. To fight alongside someone.

It was just like the start of his journey three weeks ao.

"Amagi," he started before hesitating once more. Biting his lips, Kazuki continued. "Let's ask someone else's opinion."

His thoughts flashed back to the hooded enigma that he fought right after getting his Armament. Despite all possible reservations about her personality, Kazuki cannot doubt how valuable her help was.

"Let's all pay her a visit after school tomorrow. Since it will be the last day before the school trip, I take it that you have some time?"

He stole a glance at Uehara which prompted a quick response.

"Arata--!"

Uehara's negative reaction was to be expected, and Kazuki placed a hand out to stop her.

"It's safer to have the three of us going on these missions together, right?"

Uehara sighed and crossed her hands over her chest. "Well, she's stronger than you are, at least."

Kazuki had no retort for that. After all, in terms of innate power and all, all evidence pointed to the black-haired classmate being correct.

Miki Amagi smiled, and she eventually nodded. "Thank you."

"Okay, now that that's settled," said Kazuki. As he turned his attention back to the fourth person that came out of the portal with them, he shouted. "Wha—"

Standing in front of him was a surprisingly energetic Akane Fujiwara. She had both hands cradling her chin, and she looked on with wide eyes and a huge grin.

"Wooooow, is it all coming together? Is this the confession scene my virgin eyes always wanted to see?"

She did not look like someone who just woke up from fainting.

How long was she awake? Did she hear anything?

"Erm... Fujiwara..."

Shocked, Kazuki decided to put on a casual expression while praying that she did not hear anything too important.

"Just what did you hear?"

Fujiwara gave an impish grin and stuck her tongue out. "I just got up right around now. I did not hear anything at all, but I can see it! It looks like Senpai's in a serious conversation with the two of you. Is this finally the much-awaited moment?"

Granted, she did not take part in any battle. Still, that level of energy was something nobody would expect after seeing her moments ago.

"Did you get the courage to confess, Senpai? In front of the transfer student and your love rival, too! How bold!"

"F-f-f-fujiwara!"

Amagi's reaction was to be expected, but what Kazuki did not expect was the stunned face of his other classmate.

Sayaka Uehara likewise looked at the younger schoolmate with a visible blush on her face, and her lips moved as she struggled to say something.

"Love rival?!" Uehara finally spoke with a look of utter confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"Ehhh?" responded Fujiwara with a look of disappointment. "You mean to say you weren't aware?"

She twiddled her thumbs and began looking back and forth between Uehara and Kazuki when she yelped as something tugged at her ponytail.

"And what are you doing here, Akane?"

Kazuki stepped forward in reflex. "Ishida!"

"Running off just because of a power outage, right when my brother was about to do a presentation, is pretty rude, you know. And you're supposed to be the representative for someone by proxy, too. I wonder why that vixen still takes her chances with you with these things."

"Reijy, stop it!" shouted the visibly annoyed Fujiwara before pulling herself away. "Stop being so rude around Arata, would you?"

"We're sorry. It's my idea to bounce, not Arata's."

When Uehara spoke up, Ishida's expression quickly turned into a more subdued one. He then looked at the black-haired girl from head to toe before shrugging.

"Your clothes say that you've been through a rough time. I won't pry any further, but Aria Alley's not the place for young girls like the three of you."

Kazuki still cannot get over the senior's overbearing way of speaking. However, for the years that he has known this person, he knew that Reijy Ishida is the type of person who genuinely looks out for not only his clique but also most of the other students in school.

It is the one thing that he doesn't fake.

It is that knowledge that allowed him to slightly relax despite his personal reservations.

Kazuki watched as the gray-haired student pulled back his suit's long sleeve to check the time from a luxurious-looking watch.

"You all should head back home before it gets even darker. It would be easier for me to pretend nothing happened if you go now."

He then turned to the youngest one in the group. "Akane, I'll get the company car to drive you home. You wouldn't want to get sick and miss the school trip this weekend, right?"

In reply, Akane Fujiwara nodded. Then, Reijy placed his hand over her arm before turning to the other two girls.

"Care for a ride home, too?"

When both Uehara and Amagi shook their heads, Reijy nodded.

"Understood," he said as he walked off together with Fujiwara.

"The three of you better get a move on, too. Oh, and Arata, don't you dare try anything funny with those girls, got it?"

When the two finally left, Kazuki let out a groan.

"Seriously..." groaned the disgruntled Kazuki the moment the two left their line of sight. "What does he take me for?"

"Probably the socially awkward geek who thirsts for women like no tomorrow," chimed in Uehara with a cool voice as she began gently tapping her right heel on the ground. "To be honest, you... kinda fit the bill if we were to believe what the other girls in school gossip about."

"No, Arata would never do something like that," replied Amagi in her cheerful voice. Then, she turned to Kazuki with a big smile and closed eyes. "You would never, ever do something like that, right, Arata?"

At this moment, those shut eyes and smile looked like the perfect tools for hiding something really dangerous.

Things seem fine now, but Kazuki knew that tomorrow, the last day before the school trip, is going to be one important day. As early as now, he already began envisioning the possible scenarios and things that can happen inside Ms. Sadohara's room.

2