Chapter 15 – Arrow that Pierces Despair
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

"You don't look so good," commented Kazuki, a serious expression on his face. "What's with that evil-looking aura? Where's your girl?"

Getting no reply, Kazuki took note of the regenerating tentacles and the shape that his opponent was in.

"Guess that's how you want to play the game, huh?"

Kazuki went into position, and after making sure that all blind spots to Amagi and Uehara can be accounted for, put his bladed shield forward. Clearing the air, he yelled to commence the battle.

"Let's go, Touya Satoru!"

"Pathetic, weak humans! Begone!"

Kazuki kept his ears open for changes in the surroundings, but little could have prepared him for the wave of shaking noises that signaled the very walls of the labyrinth moving.

The walls?

He watched the tentacles from Satoru approach him in a much faster speed than he saw before. Still, he was prepared.

He swung the shield.

The appendages dissipated into the air after being cut by his Armament.

He kicked his feet off the ground, landing a short distance back.

Just in time to see waves of vines crash onto the ground where he once stood.

A pincer attack. Not bad.

He had little time to gather his thoughts as the ground underneath him shook. Looking forward, he saw Satoru take several steps back before raising his left arm and bringing it down.

As if in concert with the movement of the arm, the vines from the ground shot up and down.

Seeing those vines headed his way, Kazuki sidestepped.

A second wave came, and he was forced to dodge.

The ringing sound of vegetation warned him just in time to dodge a third wave of vines meant to impale him, having seemingly come from out of nowhere.

Did he trade that woman Nullity for the power to control the whole labyrinth?

Slicing his bladed shield upwards in a circular direction, Kazuki smiled as he saw several swathes of vines fall to the ground.

He quickened his pace and followed a circular trajectory towards his opponent, never letting Satoru off his line of sight. Ignoring the sounds of vegetation coming in from all directions, he aimed for the puppet master.

He would be tiring himself out and wasting time on these vines. What mattered was Satoru and his tentacle arm.

He realized that Satoru also had his eyes locked onto him. They stared each other down as the distance of several meters became a few feet in an instant.

"Take this!" shouted Kazuki as he found himself off the ground and quickly descending onto Satoru.

The bladed shield would descend onto the opponent, cutting him from the right shoulder down and disabling the use of those tentacle arms for good.

At least that's what Kazuki thought before he found the tip of his blade stopped by a blunt force.

"What is this?"

Kazuki felt the strength of his attack weakening as the blade found itself buried deep within a bunch of his tentacle appendages now shaped like a shield.

"Good. Good. That's more like it!" gloated Satoru.

Kazuki, on the other hand, was in no mood to respond in kind as he found himself losing energy. He had experienced this feeling before. His eyes bulged as he looked at Satoru in disbelief.

It felt similar to how the transference of powers from another Armament to his. This one, however, felt more sinister and forceful. It was as if the little magical energy he had was being forcefully taken by the appendages.

He might have just found out the secret behind Satoru's control over the labyrinth walls, not that it would help him now.

He next felt a powerful blow that took the air out of him as a wave of vines smacked him straight on the face. Seeing Satoru's left palm open and close, he cussed under his own breath.

With his shield locked onto Satoru's, he had nowhere to go.

Such was proven true when he found himself being hit from behind, eliciting a loud grunt of pain out of him.

Damn this!

Determined to free himself from the grip that continued to drain him of his energy, he planted his feet onto the ground.

Feet found themselves sinking deep into muddy ground that wasn't there the first time around.

Satoru was not just content with just a deadlock and a slow burn. He was thinking one step ahead of the opponent.

Kazuki deduced that Satoru also gained the ability to manipulate the whole labyrinth to an extent.

Talk about a broken ability.

Caught by surprise, Kazuki lost focus as he got hit by another wave of attacks. This time, the vines, sharp as they were, punctured deep into his right shoulder.

Letting out a shout, Kazuki swatted the vines away with his free hand. "This is bad..."

Satoru, however, leaned back, and along with his leap back came Kazuki's freedom. Kazuki watched in amazement at the tentacle shield that dropped to the ground.

"I've been warning you not to be reckless," said Uehara with much effort. Her posture was poor, but she seemed to be managing well enough.

The sword, despite being held in a low position, looked as dangerous as ever.

"How am I supposed to know that he has those kinds of powers?" argued Kazuki, who just freed his feet from the muddy ground.

Before the girl can answer, out of the soft ground came a pillar that erupted upwards. Both Kazuki and Uehara barely dodged the force that would have sent anyone skyward.

"This guy is nuts."

"I'll handle this, Arata."

Kazuki raised his eyebrows at the statement.

"You what? You won't last a minute against that thing in your state."

"I know."

"Oi, you—"

"For the meantime, please get her back in shape."

"Her?"

"Amagi's Armament. I saw its amazing ability with my own eyes. It's our key to victory."

After seeing the look on Uehara's face, Kazuki's tense body relaxed. It was a look that he had seen quite many times already, but he knew that this time, that look of certainty meant a slightly different thing.

So you're telling me it's up to us two this time.

He made sure that his expression remained unchanged, stoic enough to hide the relieved smile that wanted to pop out at any moment. They have been fighting together as allies, but now, he can clearly see that she intended to entrust things to him, and more importantly, Amagi.

"If anything happens, I trust that you know when to fall back, Uehara."

"Who do you think I am? Now, hurry up and go."

Giving each other a look of mutual understanding, as they have always done in battle, the two of them went their separate ways.

Kazuki felt a slight discomfort in leaving Uehara to that monster of a man, but his trust in the girl kept him going.

2

Trying to calm down his turbulent emotions, Kazuki ran back to where his childhood friend was. He had a good look at her when he made that dynamic entry, but the fierceness of the battle had taken up his complete attention.

Now that he had a little break from the action, he searched for his friend in the midst of the chaos all around him.

All strength seemed to exit his body when he saw the state Amagi was in.

The brown-haired girl lay on her back with her eyes closed. She must have collapsed from exhaustion the entire time he had been fighting.

He clasped his hands over Amagi's open hand and held is breath.

Thinking quickly, his eyes furiously surveyed her body as he looked for a way to bring her back. After all, he could feel her heart beat furiously through her pulse.

She's still very much alive.

Looking to the side, Kazuki also noticed one thing: Amagi's Armament, the majestic bow that represents her soul, remained on the floor beside her other hand.

You're amazing, Amagi.

When an Awakener loses consciousness or even gets his focus broken, the spiritual link between him and the Armament disappears. Through her sheer will, she was keeping the bow summoned.

The body might not be in a state to properly respond, but even now, her spirit continued having the will to fight, and the bow that had not yet shattered into magical particles is proof of that.

"Amagi, wake up!" he pleaded. He repeated the name of his friend over and over, even placing his head over the hands that he gently supported her fingers.

Now, if only he could revive her. If only he could do what Uehara did to revive him and give him a second chance at life.

He was practically dead when the black-haired girl made the impossible happen. Even someone like him should be able to bring a merely knocked out girl with much greater power than him back.

If only he knew how.

Kazuki hung his head with that realization.

He did not know how to do it.

Hearing the sound of the battle behind him and a female scream further heightened the growing anxiety and doubt in his mind. Shaking off the sweat from his forehead, he yelled some more.

"Please... I beg you. Amagi, just this once."

His hand shook as they maintained their firm grip on her hand.

"You can't leave us hanging now. Please, I'll do anything, so please get up, Amagi. Please lend us your strength!"

"A—ra—ta?"

Hearing the weak voice lit up the dying fire inside Kazuki, and he quickly looked down to see the slightly open eyes of his childhood friend. A blush came over her face as she spoke softly.

"Arata... relying on me. T-that makes me happy."

"Amagi, I'm so sorry that I cannot do anything. In the end, I'm just too powerless."

Before he can wallow in self-pity even more, a gentle hand brushed over his cheek. Amagi, a faint smile on her face, held her other hand over his cheek.

"Don't feel sad anymore, Arata."

Kazuki looked over to the shield on his hand. Slowly, the bladed edge fizzled into particles, and he was left with his Armament in its plain form.

If he cannot completely revive her in short order, perhaps he can use Assimilator's Core.

Who knows what form his shield will take, but it's worth a shot.

But has she really forgiven him? Her emotions were strong enough to spawn an entire Fragment, after all.

Kazuki had doubts in his mind as he pondered such question.

If she still held any resentment towards him, the whole process of his shield transforming could fail, and who knows what happens afterwards.

This is no time to doubt myself.

He thought to himself as he heard another female scream in the distance followed by the sound of a body crashing to the ground.

"Do you trust me, Amagi?" he still asked. He swallowed hard as he awaited her reply.

He got a chortle for a reply. "Of course. You've been my one and only hero. That hasn't changed, and it never will."

Her eyes squinted. "Entrust your burdens to me, and you can count on me to accept your all."

Words that gave Kazuki déjà vu. He had once said those words, and he found himself on the other side of it now.

Releasing her hold on Kazuki's cheek, she grabbed hold of the fallen bow with her hand that's not being held.

"I believe that you have an amazing power that can save us all, Arata."

With a nod, Kazuki placed his shield on top of the bow before giving a reassuring look. "Thanks, Amagi. I'll accept your power, and I swear that I will save us all with it!"

"Assimilator's Core!" he cried out, and his shield was engulfed in light.

3

"This is..."

Kazuki looked in wonder.

"It's beautiful," commented Amagi.

On Kazuki's hand was his Armament. This time, instead of transforming into one with a blade sticking out of it, two solid beams stuck out on its left and right. The shield remained in its base form, but Kazuki's Armament has essentially transformed into a large crossbow with the jewel on the center.

As the teen placed his hand over the jewel, he felt magical energy welling up. The longer he held onto it, the stronger the magical energy resonated, and as it grew in strength, the shield began shaking, unable to contain its raw power until it fizzled.

"We did it. Amagi, we did it!"

He received no response, and he just caught the last particles of her disappearing bow fade into the air.

She had finally let go, but that did not do much to faze Kazuki, who had his resolve restored.

"Don't you worry, Amagi. When you wake up, you will be free from this nightmare."

Kazuki turned around and stood back up, only to face a sight that he had dreaded seeing.

Walking toward them in a methodical pace was Satoru. However, Kazuki can see that even now, the enemy's gaze looked past him and straight onto Amagi's body.

Behind him, Uehara's unconscious body was suspended among numerous vines that were linked to the faraway walls. Numerous vines had swarmed her, and she was held up in a complex network like a prey on a web.

Kazuki gritted his teeth and hurriedly pulled back on the jewel, creating the shape of an arrow before letting it loose.

It barely grazed the target. Even though Satoru never moved to the side.

He cannot believe how off his aim was.

He tried to hide the panic inside as he only realized that he had no time at all to adjust to this new weapon. It didn't help that he never was a good shot in the first place.

"Looks like we have a lot more in common, Kazuki Arata!"

"What are you talking about?" asked Kazuki, who fired another shot that missed.

"How does it feel to completely take someone else's power for your own? The rush of power feels intoxicating, doesn't it? Now, you can understand why I desired that girl you're protecting so much."

"Shut up. We have nothing in common."

Unimpressed, Satoru stopped his walk and laughed it off.

"Assimilator's Core was built on connections and bonds. Mutual trust. But you... You're just an usurper. One who consumes and takes everything for himself. Don't even compare me to scum like yourself!"

"That is true. Your power does not deserve to be compared to my power," said Satoru with his left hand raised.

"And that is because a power like that does not come anywhere near mine. Trust? Bonds? Don't give me that crap! Reality is that only the strong survive in this world."

The ground shook at Satoru's command.

"I don't know your backstory in full, but we both know that it's true, Satoru. All you are is an insecure coward, relying on all that in order to assure yourself of your power. Instead of facing your own weakness, people like you simply bury it under layers of hatred and power."

Satoru roared in response. "Shut up! I'll crush this entire dimension and consume all of you along with it!"

At the behest of his hand movements, vines from all directions began to creep and form a blockade behind him. Followed with the ground shaking violently, it was as if there was truth to his words of making this whole Fragment collapse onto itself.

Kazuki felt the air growing thin as the maniacal laughter from Satoru turned deep and almost demonic. Fittingly, the black aura engulfing him intensified and grew larger to the point where forms of what looked like black wings materialized behind him.

Going all in for that final boss look, huh? Bitterly thought Kazuki.

The enemy had complete control over the Fragment and the labyrinth, and Kazuki had long learned to accept the fact that defeating him straight up might just be impossible. Despite no longer having Setsura to call onto, it seemed that circumstances have only made Satoru stronger.

However, there was no other way out of it. He just had to overcome this challenge in front of him.

Fighting Satoru up close was a futile endeavor, but with a new weapon on his hand, perhaps the odds have swung a bit to his side.

Charging up the jewel on his Armament, Kazuki stiffened up as the crossbow shield on his hand began shaking from all the pressure. He failed to keep his hand still as he aimed at the standing Satoru.

It's impossible with the continually distorting surroundings and the shaking.

However, this was the decisive shot. It was now or never. If he messed up here, it's all over.

He gulped as he saw Satoru gather more and more energy as well as the vines from the Fragment all gathering around him.

I don't plan on giving up here!

Those thoughts would immediately fade away when Kazuki knew the reality of the situation.

His lips trembled. With one shot to decide it all and the weight of everything on his shoulders, Kazuki felt overwhelmed.

His confidence was always just for show, just to look cool and avoid being awkward at key moments. When push comes to shove and with his back against a wall, he had little confidence in making that one shot that matters.

"I'm sorry... I can't do it," he muttered to himself as he shut his eyes. "I'm..."

"But you can. There's nothing that the greatest hero in my heart cannot overcome."

Kazuki's shut eyes opened when he felt a hand being placed over his shield-bow hybrid.

"If you ever find yourself growing weak, I will be your strength. Even if the world were to turn against you, I will be here by your side."

Amagi, barely getting back up, leaned against him.

"Even if we were to go down, I would forgive you. But I know it won't happen. My hero would not miss this shot."

She had willed herself back up with her last burst of strength. Even if he did not see it clearly, he knew that her face wore a calm smile in contrast to his surprised expression.

Kazuki knew that he cannot waste this chance and locked his other hand with hers.

"Amagi..."

"I always tell myself this. If there is something that hero... No, something that Arata puts his heart into... There's nothing he can't do."

"Thank you, Amagi."

Kazuki exhaled and gathered magical energy on the jewel in full force, and his usual shot transformed into the form of a gigantic blade of pure energy. Even if his shield shook and trembled with the overloading of power, he knew in his heart that he can end this.

"Gooooooooo!" Kazuki and Amagi yelled in unison.

The gigantic blade flew straight forward. Even as vines came together to form an impenetrable wall in front of Satoru, the energy blade burned through them like nothing.

"What?!" wondered Satoru.

Kazuki saw the blade of light find itself deep into Satoru's chest before exploding.

The entire world became white as snow. 

Final chapter of the volume is up next, and you know the drill. Finale, the Epilogue, and Afterword for next release. Hope you had a good time reading this volume.

2