Chapter 11- Mountain King
608 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day Cherié and i head over to Dhromir's workshop to see my knife. 

-Punctual are ye kid? 

-I prefer to be on time. Less surprises. 

-Well then, here's your brand new Dragon Fang Knife. 

-Would you look at that. 

Dhromir handed me the knife and i take a close look at it. The fang has been sharpened to a 6 inch curved blade, with an equally curved handle which ends in a metal ring the handle was wrapped in black leather. 

-What's the handle made out of? 

-I went all out with it, i used a steel core wrapped in black dyed Flame Gecko leather. I also used fancy blood rose paint for the handle ring. 

-Impressive. The weight distribution is good, the ring is smooth to twirl and the blade is quite sharp. 

-Most people would've praised the craftsmanship rather than the design, but you kid, you value practicality. Which is why you like the fact that any weapon forged from a dragon fang or claw have the unique property of being able to self-sharpen. Meaning the more you use it the sharper it gets. 

-A knife that sharpens it self? Now that really is magic. 

-Haha! Now back to business, follow me let's meet the Steel Council. We need to formulate a plan to beat Smaug. 

-Don't they have a plan already? 

-Yeah, but with you we make one with less casualties. 

-What was the estimate? 

-95%.

-That's grim. 

-You can say that again. 

We soon reach the Council building and enter. We make our way to the council meeting room and see 12 dwarfs sitting around a round table which looks like it was forged out of armored steel. There's 1 dwarf sitting on a slightly higher seat, i assume he's the council lead. He's the first to speak. 

-Dhromir! I heard you had something to help defeat Smaug! 

-I did! Look! I bring you the adventurer who defeated a dragon by his lonesome! 

As the dwarfs murmur and stare i had Cherié plant a bug under the council's roundtable. The head dwarf motions the rest to quite down before he speaks. 

-Tell me adventurer! How did you defeat the dragon? 

-I used a special weapon to shred the wings to crash it into the ground before stabbing it through the skull. 

The dwarfs begin to murmur again before the lead dwarf shushes them again. He stares at me again before asking more questions. 

-Do you plan to use this weapon again? 

-Not if i can help it, but i do have another weapon similar in power. As long as you don't mind having dragon guts all over the wall. 

-Haha! Dhromir why didn't you tell me he had a sense of humor! 

-I wanted to see if you could laugh you old geezer! (Dhromir) 

-C'mon Dhromir just call me uncle Karl. 

-Not in a 100 years old man! 

-Haha! (Karl) 

-Haha! (Dhromir) 

-Umm exuse me? (Snake) 

-Huh? (Karl) 

-Huh? (Dhromir) 

-Can we get back on topic? (Snake) 

-oh right. So tell me adventurer how do you plan to slay the dragon?(Karl)

-Simple, i'll deploy my weapon and blow the dragon out of the sky, then everyone will rush to attack it. I'll focus on the head since i can withstand the heat. 

-What makes you think you can handle the heat of a dragon's breath? (Karl) 

I raise my arm and roll down the sleeve revealing the cybernetic arm beneath. The council gasp and again begin murmuring while staring. They're probably trying to figure out how it works. 

-As you can see, i can handle a little heat. 

-Hmm very well then, Dhromir show them to the seal. 

-Follow me then kid. 

Dhromir leads me and Cherié to the chamber where Smaug was sealed. The chamber is massive, approximately 700 cubic meters in volume there's more than enough room for a dragon to spread his wings and swim in gold treasures. I see the 150 meter tall amber boulder where the heroes sealed the dragon. 

-Alright, Cherié take these and set them up around the chamber. 

I give Cherié a few disposable SAM turrets and she activated them in the corners of the chamber. Dhromir walks over to me to ask about the turrets. 

-These look like the magic ballistas the republic are working on, but i don't see the projectile. 

-These fire a tube filled with molten metal and explosives, that detonate on impact. 

-How does the molten metal help? 

-the metal is funneled into a stream which melts through any barrier, the explosive helps with lethality. 

-Quite impressive, but how does the tube fly? I don't see any ropes to launch them. 

-It uses a flame to propel itself through the air. 

-I see. 

I don't mind telling Dhromir about how missiles work since i highly doubt that the Steel Council can figure out how to recreate them. Especially since i lied about the molten metal, it's actually a copper lining which melts on impact due to the shape charge. Besides both Cherié and i have the reflexes to dodge anything not going mach 2. Speaking of which Cherié walks up to me. 

-Master I've set up the turrets. 

-I told you not to call me that, also good job. 

I turn towards Dhromir who is still in thought on how the SAM turrets work. 

-Hey Dhromir that's it, we're set up. 

-Huh? Already? 

-Yup, all we can do now is wait. 

-In that case then you can return to the inn. I'll call you when the council wants to start the fight. 

We head back to the inn and later that night i go over our loadout with Cherié. 

-Just to be sure we'll use these against the dragon. 

-What's this master? 

-XSGR prototypes i got my hands on. Effectively a gauss gun which fires a 5mm round at mach 6.5.

-Isn't this a little overkill master? 

-I'm worried about the dragon, if the great heroes had difficulty handling Smaug i want to make sure i can punch through his scales. Though we might need to fire several times since these are small rounds. 

A few days later Dhromir comes knocking on our door telling us its time, the seal is cracking. We make our way to the chamber and Cherié and i set up the SAM turrets and ready our XSGRs. We look around the chamber and see the Steel Council leading the over 300 dwarfs. They're hyping themselves up giving rousing speeches about their ancestor and the great battle. 

The amber starts to crack and we hear a near deafening roar as a 125 meter tall crimson dragon emerges. I notice that he has golden scales on certain parts of his body which look suspiciously like vital points. Surprisingly Smaug decides to Speak. 

-HAHAHAHA! I'M FINALLY FREE! YOU LOWLY DWARVES WILL PAY FOR TRAPPING ME! I WILL DEVOU-

the SAM turrets fire mid speech all 8 missiles score direct hits on him. The one missile that hit a golden scale managed to blow a hole in his ribcage while the other missiles only managed to hit the flesh. I yell out to everyone about his weakness. 

-Everyone! His golden scales are a weakpoint!

The Steel Council relays the information to the rest of the dwarfs. Afterwards they charge at Smaug while avoiding a direct confrontation with his fire breath. According to my HUD his breath is as hot as napalm. It also sticks a bit like napalm though not as much. Shouldn't be an issue since Cherié and my combat rigs can handle temperatures upto 2500°c though only for 5 minutes. 

Cherié and i continue to pepper his wings with our XSGRs, they also have quite the effect on  his scales being able to reach just past the flesh. Eventually Smaug can't remain airborne and falls to the ground. The dwarfs rally and rush him. I pull out my Zweihander to the same trick I did last time. 

I jump on his head and find the gold scale on the top of his head and stab him through it. Just to be sure i shock him with 500,000 volts through my arms. I pull my sword out and the dwarfs cheer raising their weapons too. 

We carry Smaug's corpse out of the chamber and into the capital. Cheers erupt as crowds gather in the streets to celebrate and quickly the signature Dwarven ale is flowing out of kegs. 

The next day i'm brought by Dhromir to the Council building to collect some bonus they wanted to award me. We arrive at the meeting room to see every council member except for Karl extremely hungover. 

-I thought dwarfs had good alcohol tolerance. (Snake) 

-Haha! Except when every dwarf drinks four times his weight in ale. (Karl) 

After that i receive 10 million and a keg of the finest dwarven ale. Dhromir told me to visit his workshop in a few days. When i came to visit he handed me what appears to be a hand crafted sword. 

-Here's a little bonus for you kid. I notice you used some random two hander to take down Smaug. So i made you a nicer one out of Smaug's tail spike. 

I take a closer look and see that the handle is Smaug leather and the hilt is polished steel. The blade it self is pitch black with some gold streaks going down it. 

-Thanks Dhromir, I'll put it to good use. 

-You better kid. Also come back any time you want me to make you something. 

-I'll think about it. 

Afterwards me and Cherié ledt the Dwarven Meritocracy and headed towards the great Forest

20