Chapter 13- Desert sands
591 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We leave the underground chamber and find a wide open area, i want to run some diagnostics on the VTOL. I deploy it and open the rear door, i enter and interface with the console and start running diagnostic checks. 

Power = 68%

Flight systems = functional

Navigation systems = ERROR! 

Weapon systems = functional

OS = functional

It seems the navsat is malfunctioning, probably it crashed in the underground chamber. Looks like the ship couldn't establish a connection with the GPS satellite and since it was on autopilot it flew in circles before it crashed. I update the software so it should orientate itself based on my position, its less accurate since its GPS but if i add Cherié it should compensate abit. 

As for the weapon systems the missiles racks are empty while the autocannons are still loaded but the targeting systems are far outdated though. I decide to check the internal clock and find out this ship is an antique, the internal clock is started up at 5 july 2053. That explains why the software is outdated, but there's stil no explanation for why its here. I check its flight records to see that the last flight was from florida to cuba going through the bermuda triangle. Huh. I thought that was a myth. 

I decide to restock the missiles and update the software making this a giant drone if needed. Princess Elena walks up behind me. 

-Sir Snake may i ask you something? 

-Sure go ahead. 

-Where do you plan to go from here?

-The great desert, i plan to visit the dark elves before heading to the beastmen archipelago. 

-I see in that case I'll write you  a letter of introduction, also I'd like you to deliver a letter to my sister. She's married to the dark elf patriarch. 

-Well then I'll make sure it gets there. 

-Also before i forget the mother tree wishes to give its branch, the most powerful piece of elven wood fashioned into a wand. 

-Thank you, it's quite the piece. 

-No problem. 

After that Cherié and i depart. Taking off using the VTOL we fly towards the desert. 

We soon pass leave the forest and fly over the desert, we see a massive sand worm at least 200m in length going through the dunes. I decide to use it as target practice. I have Cherié man the turrets while i keep her steady. 

BANG BANG BANG BANG

BANG BANG BANG BANG

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

after firing a few 40mm bursts the worm starts slowing down, its visibly bleeding green blood. I tell Cherié to fire a few missiles. 

-Load missiles! 

-Roger!

WOOSHH! WOOSHH! 

BOOM! BOOM! 

the "head" of the worm was blown to smithereens. We find a few more worms and we start firing, it'll help calibrate the auto-target systems. Though i tell Cherié to only fire the autocannons. I want to save the missiles. 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

after that fun live fire exercise we spot a an oasis town and land a few kilometers away. I store the VTOL and we make our way into town. It seems that town is quite full with people walking around the bazaar. I decide to do a bit of shopping picking up some spices and a few fruits. We enter a bar to listen to rumors. Cherié orders her usual salad but with some desert flowers as garnish while i crank up my audio receptors. 

-Hey did you see the explosions in the distance? 

-Yeah it looks like it came from a dragon. It took down the sand worms easily. 

-Yeah i heard the mayor called the elite guard to investigate. 

-No way it'll take a week before they arrive. 

It looks like they saw our VTOL flying around shooting worms. Well that's alright they won't find anything. After ward we head to an inn and Cherié go to sleep while i do some weapon maintenance. 

The next day i tell Cherié to go to the adventurer guild and pick some contracts, I'll stay behind to test out the VTOL's remote control systems. 

I moniter Cherié through her dni and see her enter the guild. The adventurers inside turn to look at her but soon look away. She picks up a contract for a sand worm and walks to reception desk. She talks to the desk girl

-Hello i would like to take this contract. 

-Uhm... Ok but are you sure? 

-Don't worry i can handle my self. 

Cherié begins to walk out but she's stopped by a large armored adventurer. 

-Are you sure about your contract little lady? 

-Yes don't worry about me. 

-You know for a fee you can hire me to help you. 

-That won't be needed. 

-Are you sure about that? 

He tries to grab her arm but Cherié dodges and punches him right in his metal chestplate denting it. He kneels over unconscious and Cherié walks out the guild. 

As Cherié leaves town i make my way out and quickly deploy the VTOL and head back to the inn. I boot up my control pad and fly the VTOL to provide overwatch. 

Cherié sets up her rifle on a dune and fires a few rounds at the worm wounding it, i fire a few autocannon bursts to finish it off. Cherié attaches a few ropes around it and drags the 150m long worm back to town stunning everyone. She sells the corpse to the guild before disappearing and returning to the inn. 

15