Chapter One: The NPC Life versus The Player Life
234 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If someone asked me to describe my life, my reply would be NPC-like. I truly lived a dull, predictable path, one that many probably live. I graduated near the top of my class in university, was hired by the government in the foreign affairs office, and now I soullessly work my life away. Now at thirty-eight, a normal NPC would have gotten married, bought a home, and raised children. In fact, by the frequency in which my work colleagues bring it up, I’m missing out on the greatest happiness in my life. 

If someone asked me to describe my life, my reply would be: “NPC like”. Not unlike most, I live a dull, predictable life, one that many people trek. My childhood was normal, filled with the standard loving parental units, protective older brother unit, and lovable, loyal neighborhood friend unit.

“That’s perfect!”

“I wish my childhood was that nice.”

“What do you have to complain about?”

“My childhood was a disaster.”

Other NPCs would often tell me when I spoke about my past. However, to me, it was like a strange nightmare. To be it felt like there was an invisible entity planned out my entire life. I was not the captain of my ship. The ship was lazily following the direction of the wind. No matter how I turned the ship’s wheel, nothing changed. It was suffocating.

The expectations of those around me were stifling. My parental units were smart and successful, so I had to be the same. My older brother was stellar in school, so I had to do the same. Because I was born a female, I couldn’t outwardly do the things I liked. Things like video games were not proper hobbies for a young lady. It felt like I was a puppet in the hands of some mighty marionette.

Even during college, I continued to live up to those expectations other had for me. After graduating near the top of my class, I landed a stable government job in the foreign affairs office. Although many would celebrate for getting such a position, to me it was just another step along my NPC journey. Unlike what others thought, work was a mindless, slow grind.

“That’s life!”

That’s what all the NPCs say.

Now, at thirty-eight, a normal “NPC” would have long been married, bought a house, and raised children. However, I somehow avoided all that, thankfully. I can barely take care of myself.

“Don’t you think that’s a selfish choice!?”

“Don’t you want to be happy?”

“You’re missing out on so much!”

So according to every NPC I’ve talked to, I’m missing out on the greatest parts of life. Yet, no matter how they say it or spin it, marriage, kids, and homeownership don’t interest me. But like any good cog in a mindless machine, I tried to do my part. To varying degrees of seriousness, I attempted to get what was supposed to make me happy. All ending in failure. Unlike everyone else, I see nothing wrong with that.

“I didn’t know true happiness until I met my wife.”

“My husband completes me.”

“A house is a good long-term investment into your future.”

“When I held my baby for the first time, I realized just how empty my life had been.”

I might never be happy, according to them. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, or not putting adequate effort into it. Perhaps I’m a faulty NPC. But honestly, I do not believe that. Regardless of what the drones say, I found my happiness without tying it to a person. I have learned to explain this point to others brings about shock, confusion, and downright denial. Which has led me to believe that perhaps I’m a unique NPC? I’ve diverged from the masses, but not enough to be an actual player.

Work for money, spend money on food, hobbies, and rent, run out of money, go back to work to earn more money. I am going through the motions of life until its conclusion. Too bad it is a dull, never-ending journey.

I clenched my teeth, internally screaming. “It’s just so tedious! When can I go home?!

In front of me, the pig-like manager slouched back in his chair, propping his feet up on the desk. “Julia, have you finished the documents I gave you about the relief efforts.” I cut him off short, not wanting to listen to his wheezy voice.

“Yes Sir, I gave them to your secretary early this morning.” I clenched the files in my hands, trying my best to control my anger.

He frowned at me, loosening his worn-out tie. “Then why have I not seen them?”

As he wiped his sweaty face with a stained handkerchief, I rolled my eyes. “I’m not sure, sir.”

This, of course, is not what he wanted to hear. His feet dropped off the corner of the desk as he put the now soaking handkerchief back into his pocket. He locked eyes with her. The corner of his thin lips twisted as his greasy, pig-like face formed into a scowl. His beady, little brown eyes shot daggers at me, threatening me, or so he thought. I already knew what he was trying to do, because he had done it countless times. This shameless pig wanted her to find the documents and bring them to him. He treated everyone in the department like this! What was the point of having a secretary if he never used her properly?!

Everyone else might cower and buckle under his “pressure” but not her. My teeth ground together as I struggled to maintain my “customer support” smile. “It’s not my job!” She wanted to scream.

This sweaty little man often used his position to make others do his bidding. I could feel the veins in my forehead throb as I continued to stand there.

“I will not back down!” I screamed to myself as I glared back at him.

Unlike everyone else that bent to whatever demand he had, she wouldn’t. It was probably the reason he seemed out to get her at every opportunity. She knew his personality and character. If you didn’t stand your ground against him, he would take everything you had. This was her statement to him. She was not going to “play ball”.

I raised my chin up and looked down at him. “I’ve already done my part and refuse to do anything more.” Is what she was trying to tell him.

After a few silent seconds of this silent standoff, he awkwardly cleared his throat, before picking up some documents and burring his head into them. Unless he could read upside down, this was his attempt to look busy. A second later, he grumbled and dismissed her with a quick wave of his hand.

Spineless, asshole!” I wanted nothing more than to slap the documents out of his hands.

Instead, I spun around and walked back to my cubicle, glancing at the clock on the wall. Like a sack of potatoes, she plopped down on her chair, rubbing her brow, to release the tension. I grabbed the leaver underneath the chair and recline back until she was staring up at the ceiling. I closed my eyes and took a slow breath in. For a silent second, I collected my thoughts before letting out a long sigh With slow circular motions I moved my head in a clockwise direction, trying to work out the stress in her neck.

“I need a new job, one that isn’t toxic and gives more time off.”

The day would not get any better. Pulling my dwindling motivation and energy together, I opened my eyes. A new job is something that has been on my mind a lot recently. She had spent 16 years in the foreign affairs office. Although the job was brainless and boring, it was familiar.

I turned on my monitor and looked over my work emails. My eyes unfocused as I clicked one, skimmed through it, and deleted it. Most of what they sent to her was worthless garble other departments sent out.

Suppressing a yawn, I rested my chin on my hand and continued. “Waste of time.”

The top left of the screen said she only had a few unread emails left. The clock on the far told her that barely any time had passed.

Like a deflated balloon, she slumped down in the chair. “There is still so much time.”

The worst part thing about the job was that they expected everyone to be here for the full eight hours. Even if you had nothing to do. Unlike everyone else, I finished my work within the first four hours. The reason being is she didn’t waste time talking to others, instead focusing on work. But because of that she often had nothing to do after 4 hours. Aside from wasting time. Sometimes she would doodle, hide in the bathroom, or re-organize and clean her desk.

I covered my mouth as I yawned, before selecting another email and scrolling through it. “Why did work Fridays feel as if they moved slower?”

The monotony of it all finally got to me. I rubbed my eyes and lazily looked around the office. Everyone was rushing around, some laughing, others in panic. It was the same-old-same-old. I shook my head and tried to refocus my energy before I dozed off. Through sheer willpower, I forced my mind back from its lull. To help keep herself energized, she thought about something more exciting than this dull place.

“Fifteenth Anniversary!” I grinned, picking up my pen.

The excitement of those words coursed through my body. I drummed my pen off my desk before glancing at the wall clock again. “A lifetime event is happening and here I am stuck in grey hell!

“I know I’ll get the sign-in bonus today.” She hummed, doodling on some scrap paper.

“But I’ve missed all the noon events.” Julia slumped over her desk, pressing her forehead into it.

As she thought more about it, her legs became restless and full of energy. “Good thing I planned everything out months ago. I still can gather some achievements before the midnight lottery.

Under the desk, her legs frantically bounced up and down. Once again, I glanced around the office. No one was paying her any attention. She peeked at the wall and gave the clock a silent curse. It was as if those big crimson numbers were taunting her. She twirled a pen in her fingers, seeing how fast she could do it. Before stopping to continue her doodles.

The workday continued, a cruel loop of boredom, checking the time, and pretending to be busy. Until the digital clock on the wall finally flashed 1600. Julia bolted from her chair and shoved everything into her bag before fleeing towards the door. She opened the door and took one step across the threshold to freedom.

“Julia! Wait a moment!” An ear-grating bark came from behind her. 

The sound sucked the life out of her, stopping her in her tracks. Julia clenched her jaw and squeezed her fists. This was still the office, so she had to be cordial. She mustered the energy to put her customer service smile on before turning around. The piggy manager was standing there, his greasy face dripping with sweat. He must have rushed from his office to catch her. A second later, the smell of rancid sweat hit Julia’s nose. She covered her mouth for a second, waiting for her to adjust to it.

Her eyes watered as she thought, “Do you even wear deodorant!”

Crossing her arms in front of her, her nose wrinkled from the stench. “Yes, is there something wrong?”

He put his pudgy little fists on his hips. “My secretary tells me she never received those relief documents.”

Around the door, a crowd formed. Everyone looked like they desperately wanted to leave, but they didn’t want to get in the middle of what was happening. They stood around like awkward, mindless drones, waiting for orders. They all kept gazing away, not wanting to get caught in the manager’s crosshairs. From his cocky expression and impeccable timing, she knew what he was trying to do.

“It will not be that easy piggy.” She glared at him.

“Well, that is impossible because I have her signature on this transfer document receipt.” Julia pulled out the receipt from her satchel, showing him proof I had given the documents to her.

She wasn’t trying to get the secretary in trouble, but Julia would not take the blame for this. Upon seeing the official receipt, his face went pinkish-red, and the veins in his neck bulged. Julia sneered inwardly, watching the little man’s face twist in anger. To his credit, he quickly calmed himself before clearing his throat.

“Me and the ambassador have a meeting in a few hours. I need you and her to either find the documents or redo them.” An oily grin spread across his face as if to say “gotcha!”.

Julia placed the receipt back in her satchel and turned back around to leave. “This is so stupid and tedious.”

She looked back at him sternly. “I’m sorry, sir, but it is not my fault you or your secretary misplaced those documents.”

His mouth went wide and his eyes went wide as in disbelief. “I don’t care whose fault it is! I need you to stay in case they need to be redone!” He stamped the ground, gnashing his teeth.

Honestly, seeing him like this was slightly amusing. Because he wasn’t getting his way, the giant man-baby was having a tantrum. A gentle smiled appeared on her face, as she knew how to end this conversation.

“Is this authorized overtime pay?” She crossed her arms in front of her, turning back towards him.

His face went white and then red as he stumbled over his words. “I… uh… well… no, it isn’t.”

“Then I am sorry, sir.” Julia shook her head, shrugging her shoulders. “Without overtime pay, I cannot work past 1600.”

“Are you really going to say that?!” His eyes going wide, his fists shaking at his sides.

“Sir, if it’s authorized over time, then I can comply with your request, but it is not.” She paused, watching the man-baby turn redder and redder.

Just as he was opening his mouth to reply. She brought up something to cool his jets. “According to the email you forwarded from the deputy director, working without pay for the federal government is illegal.”

He unclenched one of his hands and pointed at her. “Roger that Julia, I guess I will just have to put down in your bi-annually evaluation that you have poor teamwork skills.”

“I… You!” she fumed, spinning around giving him to glare at him. Julia could feel the veins in her forehead throb as she stared in disbelief.

All around her, the drones continued silently watching. Not a single person stepped forward to say anything. She marched her way towards him. Her approach caught him off guard, causing him to flinch and stumble backwards.

He instinctively raised his hands in front of his face to protect himself. “Do not even think about trying to do or say something!”

Julia stopped within striking distance of him. She clenched her fist as if ready to slug him. It took every ounce of self-restraint not to send the pig to the ground where he belonged. Taking a deep breath, she reminded herself of where she was.

He saw her hesitation and took advantage of it. “That’s better.”

“Now get in there before I get angry.” He straightened up and fixed his tie with a smug smile.

Lucky. It was the only way to describe the man’s current position. The only reason she hadn’t sent him to the floor was because she wanted to go home to catch the 15th-anniversary events. This situation cemented the question she had asked herself for months.

She stepped back from him and gave everyone a smile. “You are right.”

“Now that’s better, go help…” Julia cut him off with a wave of her hand.

“Fuck off, I quit.” She spun around and walked out the door.

“W-what…?” She heard him say before the door closed behind her.

Julia burst out of the building, feeling like a new person. She rushed down the road and towards the hovertrain station. Only stopping to grab some quick food before continuing down the road. Soon she stood on the train platform, scarfing down the food she had bought. Julia pulled out her phone and checked on the newsfeed of Rioting Bard Games. To see the updates, events, and news about the weekend’s celebration.

 The news stated that today marked the beginning of a three-day celebration of the 15th anniversary of Pinnacle: Online. An immersive VR-MMO-RPG that garnered the attention of four hundred million players worldwide. With its massive worlds, advanced AI, unique stories, and its endless customization, players and creators could lose themselves in. Currently, playing the game was Julia’s escape from her monotonous life. Inside Pinnacle, she was a different person. She was the person she always wanted to be! An actual player and not some dull NPC.

I need to hurry home and log in so I can get the bonus and achievement. Julia watched as the hover train pulled up to the platform before its door slid open.

Nameless strangers exited the train in a tidy line. She dashed into the train and quickly found a seat near the window. Julia ignored all those around her and buried her face in her phone, making sure no one attempted to talk to her. She engrossed herself in the current news about the game, only briefly looking up to make sure she didn’t miss her stop.

Julia saw a flash of movement from the corner of her eye and looked up from her phone. In front of her was a young man, no older than seventeen. He had his legs spread to the max, taking up the seats to the left and right of him. His posture made everyone around him grimace as they avoided his gaze. The young man’s eyes locked onto hers, and he smirked at her while tilting his chin up. Julia rolled her eyes and focused back on her phone.

Why is everything so tedious today? She grumbled, taking a deep breath before letting out a long sigh.

Julia briefly thought about finding a new job. Her savings would last for some time, but not forever. She pushed those thoughts aside and viewed it as having an extended vacation. The name of her stop rang out in the train, snapping her out of her thoughts. Julia grabbed her satchel and place her dying phone inside, before making her way to the train door. As it opened, she rushed out and hurried down the street towards her apartment.

As she raced down the street, she thought of what she needed to do in the game. She needed to ask Diego for a report on everything she had tasked him to do. Tonight was also an important meeting that needed to be executed perfectly. Julia fumbled with her keys before swinging open the door. She tossed her things to the side of her studio room. She went to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water, chugging it before sitting down in the VR pod. Julia closed the pod and put on the headset, turning it on.

*Rioting Bard Games Welcomes you to Pinnacle: Online*

*Scanning user….*

*User: Julia Ritter*

*Loading Character: Ophelia Von Luna*

10