7
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week later, Hathor was escorted to the docks of Lapide. It was a little embarrassing having her mother with her—she was an adult, after all!—but she didn’t mind. Amneris was carrying the heavier one of her three bags with ease. It was dropped on the wood of the docks, along with the two Hathor carried. Both women stretched, looking over the bright blue water.

“Have you got everything?” Amneris asked. “Phone? Books? Tablet? Clothes?”

“Yes, mum.”

“Weapons? Enough change?”

“Yes, mum.”

Amneris twisted the lid of the bottle in her hands—a tonic from Kayla to get rid of the last of her poisoning—as Hathor strategically placed all three bags over her shoulders. “Are you sure you don’t want me to—”

“I know the way,” Hathor interrupted, rolling her eyes. “I’ve done the flight many times now. Unless the island magically moved over break, I think I’ll be just fine.”

“But are you—”

“Mum! Seriously! Chill!”

“I’m chill!”

Hathor put her arms around her mother, pulling her into a tight hug. “I’ll be fine, promise. I’ve done this plenty of times. It’s just school.”

Amneris kissed her cheek as they pulled apart. “Call me when you get there, okay?”

Hathor laughed. “Bye, mum.”

“Tonight.”

A flap of her wings, and she was in the air.

“In a week?” Amneris called from below.

She waved. “Bye, mum!”

The docks faded in the distance, her mother with them. Hathor knew the path to Academy island well, she’d flown it almost every semester. It was about a twenty-minute flight from the docks. There were several other ways to get there – boat, hoverbike, teleportation – but Hathor preferred using her wings. Wow how things had changed.

Academy island came into view. Compared to the rest of the Lyriumian landmasses, it was tiny, but from a school perspective, it was massive. The Academy covered the entire island, from the many elemental regions on the outer edges to the glistening silver-capped Towers. The island was made of three main circles.

The outer was made of the [number] elemental regions – everything from firepits to grasslands to ice-covered mountains. There was something there for everyone.

The second circle were the Dorms. Each building was named after a Deity. Once given a room, it was yours until the day you graduated. Most rooms help up to six people, though some could goa as high as ten. All species and genders were mixed – outside of special circumstances which permission had to be gained from the Headmaster from. It was a way to reflect the real world and get new students used to being around a wide variety of species from many different worlds and cultures. Also found in this ring were a variety of shops, cafes, bars, cubs, plenty of study areas, and the famous Academy Library

In the central circle were the Towers. This was where classes took place. The three towers overlooked the entire Academy and was filled with many classrooms, each area suited to whatever it was needed for whether it be a lecture hall, classroom, sparring ring or medical wing near the sparring ring. There were also several modes of transport including a few hoverpad, a central spiral ramp, and a large area with enough room for those with wings to fly.

Hathor came down on one of the many landing platforms on the outskirts of the Academy. She took the pathway closest to her—the one which passed beside the firepits—and made her way to the second ring. Hathor followed the pale stone path through the maze of buildings, long since having memorised the way to her Dorm. She waved at several familiar faces, called out greetings and even stopped to ask some of her friends how their breaks were.

She soon reached her dorm building, Naiu. Strangely appropriate considering her mother was the Naiu’Idis – the Photon Guardian. The building was ten stories high, and painted with a mix of white, pale blue and silver patterns. Hathor placed her hand on the scanner beside the door. Her face appeared on the small screen above it, confirming her identity and permission to enter the building. The reinforced glass doors slid open. When they closed behind her, the noise from outside vanished entirely. Hathor sighed happily. Peace at last.

She begun the walk through the darkly carpeted main area on the bottom floor to the nearest hoverplatform. She pressed the button for the top floor, a small shield surrounding the platform and taking her up. There was a stairs option, but who was crazy enough to climb that many? The platform dinged, the shield lowering. Hathor stepped out onto the darkly carpeted hallway. She counted the numbers on apartment doors until she reached her own. 185. Once again, there was a scanner beside the door. Hathor placed her hand on it and, just like outside, her name and permission flashed on screen. There was a click. Hathor opened the door, closing it behind her. Oh, how she’d missed her shared apartment.

The small entryway led into the main area. A white L-shaped kitchen rested on pale tiles and had a matching island table surrounded by chairs. To the right was the mini lounge room: three lounges, a long low-lying coffee table, and a wide-screen television sitting on a small cabinet, all resting atop the same dark carpet as outside. Behind this main area were six doors, each leading to a separate bedroom. A balcony was accessible through a sliding door. It wrapped around the building, though was separated by a wall at regular intervals for privacy between neighbours.

The apartment wasn’t empty. Hathor had enough time to drop her bags before being crash tackled by one of her roommates and closest friends.

Imogene Nura grinned, the Firebringer’s long, flaming hair flaring bright yellow with her joy. “Long time no see, girlfriend!” she exclaimed, strawberry eyes bright against her orange-bronze skin. “How was break?”

“Same old, same old,” Hathor laughed, hugging her back. “Missed you guys like crazy.”

Isaiah Kai hugged her next. “We missed you, too, Hath.”

Where Imogene was fire, Isaiah was ice. Literally. Isaiah was of the Glacis. His frost-blue skin was cold to the touch, and his eyes were the colour of thawing ice. Hathor ruffled his short-cut white hair, small flakes flying from it. Hathor laughed.

“What’s all the commotion?” called another voice. A head peaked out from the third room. A grin broke across the girl’s features. “Hathy!”

Hathor braced herself for an incoming hug from Madelyne Ague, yelping as she was almost thrown to the floor. Maddie came from one of the few purebred Lyriumian families. She lived in Iraliya, her tanned skin a clear sign of all her time flying. Her periwinkle-purple eyes seemed to be made of excitement. When she finally pulled black, her short, honey-gold fishtail braid slipped over a shoulder.

“Are the others here?” Hathor asked.

“They should be soon,” Isaiah said.

Imogene and Maddie grasped Hathor’s hands, dragging her to the lounge.

“Tell us everything that happened over break,” Imogene said, sitting to her right.

“Yes,” Maddie agreed, taking up the spot on Hathor’s left. “Did anything exciting happen?”

Hathor looked behind. Her bags were still sitting in the hallway. “Don’t you think I should—” Maddie snapped her fingers. Hathor spotted a flash of light in her own room—the fifth—and could make out the outline of her bags on the bed. “That works.”


It took about half an hour for Hathor to be happy with her room. Clothing was stuffed into drawers and hung on coat hangers in the wardrobe. Shoes lined the shoe racks beneath them. Her jewellery box was placed on the edge of her large desk along with her tablet, notebooks and chargers. Books for class filled one of the three shelves above the desk, the second having reading books on it and the third being left empty for later. Her sketchpad, pens, pencils and charcoal were hidden in one of the desk’s drawers.

Once satisfied, Hathor straightened the pale purple quilt on her double-sized bed and fluffed the four pillows. The book she was currently reading was swept off the beside table. She made her way back out into the main room. The rest of her stuff could be unpacked later, she decided, lazing on one of the empty lounges.

The front door was opened moments later. Maddie squealed at the new arrival. “Oh my Gods, Sky! You look amazing!”

Imogene jumped up to hug him tightly. “You actually went through with it!” She kissed his brow and sniffled. “So proud. I’m so not about to cry.”

Sky Hawkins had dropped his bags on the ground upon being hugged. The half-Fae, half-Water-Weaver ran a bronzed hand through his short-cut blue-green hair. Well, more green because of his golden eyes. “Yeah, the family didn’t take it all that well,” he said.

Hathor jumped up to hug her friend. “Fuck your family. You have us and we say you look perfect.”

“Thanks, Hath.” Sky spun on the spot. “So, you like guy me?”

“Gods, yes!” Maddie jumped, clapping her hands. “You look gorgeous. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.”

Isaiah said, “If they do, let me know so I can freeze them.”

Sky laughed. “Sure.”

Maddie returned to the lounge, kicking her feet onto the table. “Anyone heard from Troy?”

“Not recently,” Sky said, tossing his duffle bags into his room. “I think he will show up soon.”

Hathor brought over a bowl of corn-chips from the kitchen. “I hope he gets here soon.”

“Same,” Imogene sighed. “I need caffeine.”

“You always need caffeine,” Isaiah countered, reaching over to take a handful of chips.

Hathor brushed the newly formed frost from the bowl. “I swear to the Gods, Isaiah, if you make these go soggy again—”

“Priorities!” Maddie interrupted with a laugh. “Thought you of all people would be worried Troy isn’t already here.”

Hathor froze. “Why would you think that?” The four others stared at her in disbelief. “Oh, shut up! It’s not like that!”

“You lot making fun of my girl again?”

The five turned at the sound of Troy’s voice. The Wolf Shifter was leaning against a wall, one bad over his shoulder and another at his feet, a cocky grin plastered on his pale features, emerald eyes filled with trouble.

Hathor jumped from the lounge and into his arms, holding her friend tightly. She tugged a strand of his shoulder-length wine-coloured hair. “This suits you better than the shaved look.”

He pulled back to frown at her. “I liked the shaved look.”

“If you two are done,” Maddie said, tapping Hathor’s shoulder, “I want this boy to give me some love!”

Troy let go of Hathor to sweep Maddie into a hug. She was yanked away by Imogene who gave him a hug of her own. Isaiah and Sky were given fist bumps. The three men eyed each other before coming together in a group hug. Hathor, Maddie and Imogene awed at the sight. They were promptly flipped off.

The group moved apart to go about their business. Sky and Troy went to unpack their things. Imogene and Isaiah got into an argument in the kitchen over whether iced coffee was better than normal coffee. Hathor rolled her eyes fondly at them and returned to her book. It was promptly ripped from her grip by Maddie.

Maddie’s eyes widened as she read a few lines. “My Gods, Hathy, get a boyfriend!”

Hathor burst into laughter. “Mads, I need a boyfriend about as much as you do.”

Maddie tried and failed to sputter a decent reply. She huffed in defeat and flopped onto the lounge, arms crossed and pouting.

Sky and Troy came back to the main area. Troy, as per usual, collapsed onto the lounge, sitting beside Hathor. He tossed his arm over the lounge’s back in a not-so-subtle invitation. Hathor shook her head with a smile but moved closer.

Sky begun flipping through the channels on the large TV, the others yelling at him whenever something they hated appeared. He eventually found some reality show no one was against watching, though that was mostly because it was so crap everyone found it funny. It was even enough to end the pointless argument between Imogene and Isaiah, the former coming to sit and kicking her feet onto Hathor’s lap while the latter scavenged for snacks.

Maddie, Imogene and Troy eventually became bored. They all but dragged the others out of the room, down the hall, the elevator and out the front of the building. Maddie led them to one of the newer cafes, linking her arms with Hathor and Imogene as the boys lingered behind, chatting amongst themselves.

Hathor stayed close to her friends for the rest of the evening. Gods, she’d missed them so much!

0