The Duel
1.5k 2 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Oho, wanna die that badly huh? I’d be happy to oblige.” Jin Chun turned away from me and faced his challenger, Xinyi. “Of course, I accept!” 

A shocked silence fell among the crowd that had gathered. Nobody was sure what to do, and there wasn’t anything that they could do. A duel had been started, for real this time. It was a sacred right, nobody could deny the legality of the idea, even if they wanted to stop it. 

“You didn’t have to do this…” I groaned, dragging myself to my feet. “I can handle my own problems.”

Xinyi shook her head in response, drawing her sword.

“I can’t sit back and let this man have his way, his idea of justice is unforgivable!” 

She was serious, even though she didn’t know him, didn’t know how strong he was, she was going to go through with this. I couldn’t stop her, not even my mother could stop her even if she were here. 

One of the presiding teachers agreed to observe the duel, as much as they didn’t want to watch their students spill each other’s blood, they had no choice in the matter. This duel would happen, even if I wanted more than anything to stop it, it was too late. 

The two crossed their blades between them, and waited for the signal to begin. I could hardly breathe, the tension in the air was far too thick with malice on both sides.

The Official gave them the signal, and their swords exploded into a flurry of clashing steel. I had only ever seen Jin in sparring… so this was how he was when he got really serious huh? It was a terrifying sight, I could barely keep up with his movements, and yet… Xinyi stood her ground. 

She was on the defensive, but none of his attacks went through. His swings were parried by her skilled sword movements one after the other, and he couldn’t gain the upper hand. But then I realized something, he hadn’t used his Skills. 

“You are good, but if you think that’s enough to beat me!” he roared, his Chi boiling in his body. “Full Drive!” 

The Boost skill he used against me, but back then he was just toying with me, mocking me. Now he was out for blood, and if his movements had been so fast before using this skill… how insane would they be now?

He disappeared from view, reappearing in the same instant behind her. His huge sword moved like it was weightless, crashing down at her with enough force to shatter stone. His movements were imperceptible, but yet… she jumped out of the way. The blade smashed against the ground, an explosion of dirt and grass showering the surrounding area. 

But just as soon as she had avoided that attack, he was on her again. He moved impossibly fast, every part of his body cutting through the air with incredible force. His very movement created a gale behind him. His sword connected with hers, sending her flying into the air, and he followed with a powerful jump. 

“Shimmering Sword Dance!” he howled, his voice twisted with rage. “Regret the life that led you to this end, and perish!” 

In the air, Xinyi wouldn’t be able to control her movements. It was impossible for her to dodge his next attack, and the nature of it made it nearly impossible to parry. Surely, this was the end. But Xinyi never despaired.

Jin’s Skill created numerous phantom blades with each swing of his real sword. And soon, it was impossible to tell which attack was the real one. His flurry of stabs darted around her, and her desperate swings managed to deflect his real sword more often than not, but she suffered some glancing blows. 

At the climax of his technique, I couldn’t even see her anymore against the sea of spectral swords he had summoned. And while they were illusionary, one of them was still very real. 

While holding an overwhelming advantage against her, Jin was still unable to land a killing blow before she landed back on the ground. Numerous cuts covered her body, but she was still standing. She panted heavily, clearly having used up a lot of stamina just to keep up with him.

“Now do you see the overwhelming difference between us, bitch?” he gloated, feeling assured that he had won. “I am on a different level to you lowlifes.”

“It’s not… over yet!” she cried out, running towards him with the last of her energy. It was an impressive showing, but she just couldn’t compete with someone with a Skill, let alone the powerful Skills Jin held. He slapped her away with the flat of his blade, taunting her. 

From the angle I was watching, she could see me clearly. I mouthed to her the word ‘surrender’ but she shook her head, the stubborn girl. Well, I doubt Jin would have accepted the surrender at this point, and would probably still run her through in the end. 

I would probably get some shit for interfering with a deathmatch duel, but with my position and my mother’s influence, it probably wouldn’t be too harsh a punishment all things considered. But, there was no way to interfere with her duel without doing something I had no interest in doing. If I did, I wouldn't be able to go back.

My peaceful married life in the countryside would never come true.

But I also didn’t want to see her get eviscerated right in front of me.

“This is the end, you stupid girl. Should have stayed in the countryside.” Jin prepared to use his final Skill, which would definitely spell the end of this battle. “Freezing End!”

The air temperature dropped massively, and frost began to form on his blade. He swung, and a storm of ice and snow shot towards the helpless Xinyi.

I couldn’t stop myself, my legs gained a mind of their own before I knew it, and I was running towards them at top speed. I wasn’t sure if I would make it in time, but I had to try. 

I slid to a stop in front of Xinyi, the deadly blizzard heading right for me now. I no longer had any choice, I had to do it.

“Goodbye, my peaceful life.” 

Thank you for reading! If you like this story, I'd love if you'd leave me a comment, favorite it, or even consider supporting me on Patreon

28