Opening the Board (Part 4)
111 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The scouting expedition is off to a smooth start. With the weather being fair, and the sky being clear the scouting group had high morale. This was boosted by their current achievements. So far they have found a river with clean water and many different types of edible plants thanks to Darius's nature skills.

The entire time they have been scouting X has been focused on the large crow that has been following them at a distance.

"Hey, Darius..." X was nervous about talking with them after getting them involved in this situation.

Darius looked up from the flower he was examining, "What's up dude?"

"Do you know anything about animals? There is this pretty big crow that has been following us for a while now." X turns and points to the bird circling back around watching the party.

"I don't think that is normal for birds like that, but I am definitely no expert. Maybe it thinks we can lead it to food. Hunters are pretty good about losing prey when they hit it sometimes." He scratched his head looking to find more to say about the situation.

"Alright everyone, let's move on. We still have a bit more ground to cover before we can go back to the hill." Norman walked on towards the next direction listed on the makeshift map.

"What a slave driver..." Elana whispered to the two of them. "Better not make him any harder to deal with."

The group marched on towards the next location with only a few minor scrapes and bruises from traversing the more dense areas. With no major problems confronting them, they made good time to the next location. They were collectively glad for there being plenty of sunlight left as they scouted the last area surrounding the big hill.

After scouting for a few minutes X returned to looking at the giant bird. It was still following them, however now it was much closer than before. From this distance X Could make out the size of the massive bird. It was at least as large as a man. It flew closer until it was about 200 meters away. (Roughly 2 American football fields. This note is because not everyone can visualize meters.) Once it was there it began to land in a small clearing in the forest. X's curiosity got the best of him. Looking around to ensure nobody was directly paying attention to him, he sneaks off to check out the really large bird.

"Where does he think he's off too?" Adriana motions towards X who was trying to sneak away.

"Not sure, but we should follow him and make sure he isn't causing us any more trouble." Elana grabs Adriana's hand and takes off after X.

"Wait for us, you shouldn't go off by yourselves. What if there is a wild animal or something?" Zack said as the girls walked away.

"What do you think you would do if there really was one? Fight it?" Darius says before he goes after them.

"That's a really good point, what can I do against something like that with no weapon?" He adjusts his glasses and joins the 3 of them.

Norman looks up at the group of people walking away. 'I should just let them go and just mind my business.' He goes to turn around and walk off but then thinks again. ' If I allow them to leave then, other people on this team will question my leadership. Even if they are all trash I can't have people questioning me.' With that, his mind was made up. He would bring them back, even if force was necessary.

------------------------------------------

X was almost to the clearing when he heard a branch snap behind him. The entire group of people he has been seemingly intertwined with by fate all followed him. The look of surprise on his porcelain face was apparent.

"Where are you sneaking off to, kid?" Elana stood in front of him with her hands on her hips. She almost looked like a teacher giving a scolding to a young student. Her curly red hair bouncing on her shoulders with each hand motion in time with her words.

X raises a finger to his lips to attempt to quiet the group. He then points behind him towards the clearing and makes wing flapping motions with his arms.

"Ohh the big crow." Darius quietly makes his way over to X so that he could get a better look.

"The big what?" Adriana cast a confused look over to Zack.

"Don't look at me, I was just joking about the wild animals." He sneaks over next to the trees lining the clearing next to Elana and X.

"What exactly do you pieces of trash are doing down there?!" Norman comes lumbering over to the party that is collectively squatting behind trees.

"Norman you need to keep your voice do.." Adriana goes to quiet Norman and to explain the situation to him.

"You don't tell me what the hell to do. I don't listen to trash." He grabbed her wrist and started pulling her towards the opposite direction. " Now the rest of you get to skipping back to the group. I can't have something happening and people lose faith in my command."

Elana holds a hand up to her lips aggressively to try and get the point across.

"Didn't I just tell you that you don't tell me what the fu...."

Before Norman could finish his statement rustling of a large creature could be heard coming from just beyond the treeline. This caused the entire group to go silent.

Suddenly a somewhat deep squawky voice projects from the clearing "There is no point in hiding children. I have been following you all day and you have the subtlety of a drunk deer. You can come out, I am not here to harm you."

X made eye contact with Elana. "I am going to see what it wants. Since it is my fault that we are in this mess you should take the others and run if it eats me." He took off into the clearing before Elana had a chance to protest.

Breaking through the shade from the trees X was met by the full strength of the sunlight. The vibrant rays of light delayed his ability to take in the entire scene so he braced for the worst to happen. After a few seconds, he was able to fully open his eyes. The first thing that occupied his vision was the crow. It was at least half a person taller than X. With its oil-slick black feathers and full-busted chest, this bird was a sight to behold.

"I see you are a brave one." The squawk was slightly ear ringing. "I have noticed that you humans are stuck where you do not belong. These gardens were not meant for mortals to dwell in."

"How do we get back home?" X's anxiety started to build.

"You can't." The bird shot back matter of factly.

"What?! Why no...."

The bird cut X off mid statement. "Is what I would normally say. However, there is actually a task that I need help with myself that will allow you to do just that." The bird hopped closer to X.

"What task is it, and how does it help us get home?" X took a slight step back fearful of what the bird could do with its large body.

"I need you to retrieve a fruit." The bird stretched its wings, eyes still focused on X.

X scratched their head. "Just retrieve a fruit? That doesn't make much sense. How does retrieving a fruit help us get home?"

"No my small friend, this is not just any fruit. This is a fruit from the Tree of the 5 Lords. See we of the Garden physically are not allowed to pick the fruit of the Tree. However, you are not of the Garden so, therefore, you are not bound by that same rule. If I eat the fruit from that tree I will have all of the power I need to cast the incantation to send you back to your world." The bird got closer to X once again. "So what say you? Will you handle this task for me so that I can send you and your kind back to your home?"

X hesitated for a second. He didn't know anything about this world. If he were to just blindly trust this bird and act on its behalf he could wind up in a very bad predicament. However, there were not currently any other options. 'I got us into this mess, then I will take the consequences and get us out of this mess.' "I accept your task."

"Perfect!" The bird's squawk of excitement caused everyone present to cover their ears in pain. "Then we must bring you to the Seer, they will grant you aid in this mission." The bird lumbered encroaching aggressively towards X.

X braced his arms quickly around his face and torso. 'Is this where I die?'

When X finally opened his eyes the bird grabbed him and they were flying. He could see everything from this height. The amber-colored sky brought a thought to mind. The sun will set soon. What will happen then? Will the others be okay?

Almost as if the bird was reading his mind it responded. "I have a messenger bring your friends back to the hill they started on. They will be awaiting your return from the Seer."

The sun was behind a very large tree. The tree was large enough to block the sun from the height they were flying at. " Is that really big tree off in the distance, the Tree of the Garden?"

"Very observant, why yes it is." The bird banked really hard to the left and started to lower its altitude. "We are here, I am sure the seer will be eager to meet you."

6