Domestic Outlaws – Part 3
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back at St Aden's, the self defense class had finished with the minimal amount of problems. The biggest issue had been the expected fit of giggles among the kids when Jason had listed the groin as a weak spot. They were laughing so much that even Alice got infected and tried ineffectively to hide her smile. 

 

Now that the class was over, the kids had some time to play outside before dinner. Jason and Alice watched from a nearby bench, just in case adult intervention was needed. The kids always had a bad habit of trying to use the self defense tricks on each other immediately after learning them.

 

“I have to say Mr. Todd, I love what you and your husband have done with this place.” Alice smiled as she watched the children run, yell and play.

 

“Alice, I’ve told you before you can call me Jason. But yeah, I agree. It’s great that these kids just get to be kids, y’know?” Jason’s own childhood before he had even become Robin hadn’t really been ideal by any standards. An abusive dad killed by mobsters, a stepmom who overdosed, months living in foster care and even out on the streets by the time Batman found him. Jason was glad to do his part to make sure none of the kids under his care ever had to experience that kind of life.

 

“Back when the nuns ran this place, things were certainly quieter, maybe even a bit cleaner…” Alice chuckled, as she observed a few of the younger kids playing in a muddy puddle. “But the kids were never this… well, happy!” 

 

Jason smirked, “I’m telling Roy you don’t like our house keeping. He’ll be devastated!”

 

“Oh no, I actually think it’s better for the kids this way.” Alice said quickly. “They used to try and keep this place looking so pristine and presentable that the kids never had the chance to really have fun and, like you said, be kids! It was like living in a showroom some days. You two have actually made the place look lived in!”

 

“Thanks Alice,” Jason laughed, “I’ll keep that in mind next time Bruce says anything about how we run this place.” Not that Bruce ever would. He knew how much Jason needed to succeed on his own, and how much he cared for these kids already.

 

“Back off, loser!” came a small voice from the other end of the playground. The adults looked up when they heard the sign of a fight starting. Over by the sandpit, a small crowd seemed to be gathering to watch the spectacle.

 

“I got this one.” Jason said, making his way across the playground to see just what was up. As he approached, he recognized three angry-looking children who seemed to be at the center of everyone’s gaze. Bobby Conway and his younger brother, Adam, often got along pretty well with Billy Robinson, a 2nd grader obsessed with Batman and other local heroes. However, as Jason approached, the three kids looked as if they were ready to throw hands and not hold back. Jason thought it was best to intervene.

 

“Hey kids!” Jason called out in a friendly jovial tone to clearly announce his presence. The ring of kids dispersed a little to make room for him, but only a few of them left. This still promised to be a good show. “Whatcha doin’ over here, guys?” This was probably just a petty squabble that would be easy to resolve, so Jason was happy to take the diplomatic approach. He never liked having to raise his voice at the kids.

 

Bobby, as the oldest, stepped forward, “We wanted to play Batman and Robin but Billy won’t be the Joker!”

 

“I don’t wanna be the Joker!” Billy snapped. “I wanna be Batman!”

 

“You always get to be Batman!” Bobby snapped back. “Besides, Adam’s gonna be my Robin! It only makes sense for me to be Batman!”

 

Jason put his hands up for quiet, used to these sorts of disagreements. “Hold on a minute!” Once the boys had stopped arguing he focused on Adam who had been quiet through this whole thing. “Adam, who do you want to play?”

 

Bobby started to interrupt, “But he’s my…”

 

“Did you ask him if he wanted to be Robin?”

 

Bobby paused and shook his head.

 

“I thought not. So what about it Adam? Who do you want to be?”

 

The young boy, usually pretty quiet muttered “I don’t wanna be Robin… and I don’t want to fight the Joker. He scares me.”

 

“Well who else would Batman and Robin fight?” Billy says, sounding annoyed.

 

“Don’t worry about that, Adam. The Joker scares me too sometimes.” Jason thought for a moment and smiled, picking up a small red plastic bucket from the sandbox and putting it on the young boy’s head. “Not Robin then. You’re the Red Hood.” He turned to the older boys. “And since no one wants to play the villain, that would make you two Batman and Nightwing. Is that better? You all get to be heroes.” He never liked to glamorize supervillains to these kids, especially not that particular villain. 

 

“But who gets to be the bad guy?” Bobby asked, looking between his friends a little confused. 

 

Jason grinned mischievously and reached into his jacket pocket and felt a knitted winter hat he had left in there from some months ago. He took out the wool hat and pulled it down hard enough to cover most of his face. He could still see, but not very well, as he struck a dramatic pose and called out in a deep, heavily (and badly) accented voice, “Beware heroes of Gotham! The mighty Bane has come to break your city again! Cower before me and my muscles! Nyeeeh!” 

 

All three children burst out laughing and then sprung into action, dodging and ducking around Jason’s exaggerated slow movements as the other kids cheered for the heroes and booed the villain. “Remember the lesson from today boys! How do you take down a bigger opponent?” Jason called over the noise in his natural voice.

 

“Look for a weak spot!” Billy growled, in an amusing impression of Batman.

 

“Use your speed against him!” Bobby suggested, stumbling as he tried to cartwheel away from an attack, doing his best to capture Nightwing’s fighting style.

 

“You unbalance him!” Adam yelled with more confidence than anyone ever saw in the boy. The young “Red Hood” took advantage of his helmet and charged head first at Jason, smacking him in the kneecap with hard plastic and toppling him over. “Move! Get him now!”

 

Surprised but impressed, Bobby and Billy moved to pin Jason down. “We got him!”

 

“Curse you Red Hood! Your helmet is so much cooler than my silly mask!” Jason’s evil voice was breaking as he struggled not to laugh.

 

“Everything okay over here?” Alice had come around to check on the scuffle now that the crowd of kids had grown to include the entire playground to watch the fun.

 

“Ah! Commissioner, here to take me away I see?” Jason smirked, not wanting to drop the act. “No matter! No prison can hold Bane! Or Bane’s muscles!” 

 

“Is that right Mr. Bane?” Alice asked, trying her best to look like a gruff police commissioner but only managed to scowl the way she did when playing pirates. “Take him away boys! It’s almost dinner, we’ll lock him up in the kitchens.”

 

“The kitchens!?” Fake Bane called in fake horror. “No! My one weakness! Curse you do-gooders! Nyeeeeeh!” He let out one last cry of badly accented distress as he allowed young Adam to lead the way, carting him off to his “holding cell” in the kitchen, where he could take off the mask and start making dinner for everyone.

 

________________________________________________________________

 

Roy and Lian returned home from Metropolis a little while later, just in time for dinner. They both helped pitch in setting the tables and serving out dinner to the kids before they got food ready for themselves. 

 

“You sure we can’t get some Big Belly Burger tonight?” Jason asked with a sigh as he looked at his plate of baked chicken, brown rice and steamed vegetables. While Jason took pride in his culinary skills, there was only so much he could do when preparing so many different meals for this many kids. This healthy dinner wasn’t exactly up to his usual flavor standards, and he longed for something greasy and filling.

 

“We have to set a good example for the kids, Jason.” Roy reminded him as he gave Lian an extra scoop of green beans. “That goes double for you, Lian. We have to make up for that sundae you had earlier.”

 

“Awww, pleeeeease!” Both Jason and his daughter pouted at Roy, with matching sad faces. It was unclear if Jason had learned this technique from Lian or if Lian had learned from him. Neither of them were really picky eaters, but given the choice between chicken and vegetables or a burger and fries… Well, there wasn’t much of a contest there. 

 

Roy sighed and rolled his eyes. “Maybe we can get takeout tomorrow. But tonight you have to eat this. We don’t waste food in this house, ok?”

 

“Okay,” Jason and Lian said in unison, conceding the point and knowing that they wouldn’t get a better deal out of him.

 

“You know, if you two keep pouting like that, I’m not gonna share the cookies I bought for movie night.” He said teasingly, pointing between the two of them with his fork. This was enough to perk them both up.

 

“Cookies for movie night?” Jason said with a grin. “What happened to setting a good example for the kids?”

 

“Hey, I can’t always let you be the fun dad. I can be spontaneous as well.” Roy said with a cheeky grin. “Besides, This new bakery just opened, and came highly recommended by our very own Colin Wilkes! They were very happy to take a bulk order for the kids.”

 

________________________________________________________________

 

As the evening went on, Jason recounted the story of “Bane and the Red Hood” that Roy and Lian had missed out on that afternoon, making them both laugh and smile. The family ate with a little more enthusiasm and quickly washed up to get ready for movie night. On a night as warm and clear as this, they had the children sit out in the courtyard and set up the movie projector on a large wall of the orphanage. The children had voted and had chosen to watch “Into the Spider-Verse” again. It may have been the 3rd time they had voted for it, but Roy was just grateful that something had finally distracted the kids from their Encanto craze. That had almost been enough to make him miss Moana and Elsa… Almost...

 

Small bags of popcorn were handed out, donated from the local theater, as well as the fresh baked cookies delivered by a rather large man, wearing a face mask and a surprisingly large coat, hat and shades. Jason was fairly confident he recognized this mysterious baker, but didn’t want to out him if he was doing good work. Once everyone had their snacks, Jason and Roy took their seats in the back of their improvised outdoor theater, both to get a little privacy and to better keep an eye on all the kids. 

 

As the movie played, Jason held his husband’s hand and spoke softly in Roy’s ear. “How was Lian today?”

 

Roy smiled, watching his daughter among the other kids, more focused on her role as the honorary big sister than the movie. “She was amazing as always. Even Jade was a little choked up by how sweet she is. Oh, by the way, she threatened you again. Usual stuff, hurt Lian, lots of death, etc.” 

 

“I really should come along next time you visit her.” Jason said with a smirk. “Your ex sounds like such a delight.” He actually meant that, having some lingering professional respect for Cheshire.

 

Roy let out a small sigh. “It might be a while before any of us get to see her again actually…” 

 

Jason had a pretty good idea of what Roy meant. “Waller?”

 

“Waller.” Roy confirmed.

 

“Figures…” Jason nodded, having suspected Jade of working for Amanda ever since her transfer to Stryker’s. “I’ll talk to Barbara when I get the chance. Maybe she’ll be able to find someone who can help, or at least keep an eye on her.”

 

Roy smiled. “I’d appreciate that… As long as Jade doesn’t find out you’re secretly helping her.”

 

“We’ll try our best. We’re a quiet bunch after all.” Jason kissed his husband on the cheek and pulled him in a little tighter as they watched the movie and Lian’s good work with equal interest.

 

________________________________________________________________

 

It was the perfect way to cap off what had been a somewhat eventful day for the Harper-Todd household. By the time the film ended, it was already a little past the bedtimes for a few of the younger kids, but the adults had decided to make an exception for movie night. Once the credits rolled, Jason, Roy and Alice (who had agreed to work a later shift at the promise of cookies and a movie) quickly got all the kids inside and ready for bed. Lian helped make sure everyone was comfortable before Jason called lights out, and things were finally peaceful.

 

Soon after, once they had bid farewell to Alice and sent Lian off to bed, Jason and Roy collapsed onto the sofa in their personal quarters, separate from the rest of the children’s home. With most of their hero gear stored safely in a nearby safehouse, they actually had had room to make their living space feel more homely and welcoming. Not to mention, it was considerably larger than some of the grotty apartments Jason had previously lived in.

 

“So…” Roy said, turning to his husband. “How was today without me to help with the kids? Any major disasters happen while I was out?”

 

“Eh, not really…” said Jason. “Just the one minor supervillain attack, but I let the kids handle it. Their fighting skills are coming along nicely. Guess I really am a great self defense teacher!”

Roy chuckled. “Heh, that’s good to know. Me and Lian can’t always be here to defend you. It’s reassuring to know that you have an army of children to come to your rescue if you ever need help!”

 

“C’mon dude, that’s not fair! You’re making me sound like Bruce.” Jason laughed, playfully smacking Roy’s arm. “I can fight for myself without needing a sidekick. Or a robot arm for that matter!”

 

Roy scoffed playfully, putting on an exaggerated offended look. “Oh, you’re really gonna go there are you, zombie boy?” He sat up and leaned over so that he was face-to-face with Jason. “You got something to say, why not say it to my face?”

 

Jason grinned and gently pulled Roy’s collar so that their faces were mere inches apart. “Oh I can think of a few things I’d like to say…” He whispered, staring deep into his lover’s eyes. “And do…”

 

Their lips met as they both leaned heavily into the kiss, having reached an inevitable stalemate in their flirting war. The fact that their flirting had involved bringing up past traumas may have seemed anything but romantic to some, but that wasn’t the case for Jason and Roy. It was each their way of showing the other that they understood each other’s past, and were comfortable with the knowledge of what they had been through. They loved everything about each other, scars and all.

 

Roy was about to suggest they continue their activity in the bedroom, when he caught the unmistakable sound of a familiar voice muttering “Blech!” coming right from outside the door.

“Lian! Why are you still awake?!” Roy called, annoyed at the interruption but also hoping nothing was wrong. He quickly climbed off of Jason, who also pulled himself up sharply, straightening his shirt and attempting to look casual. 

 

Roy opened the door to reveal Lian, waiting outside in her pajamas, and looking eager to change the subject from what she had almost walked in on her dads in the middle of. She was holding what looked like a tiny paper package in her hand. “I… I meant to bring this up earlier. I didn’t wanna say anything in front of Mr Flagg.” She said, holding up the package. “Mom slipped this to me when we hugged back at Stryker’s. I think I know what it might be…”

 

“Your mother did what?!” Roy took the package, a little concerned by what Jade could have possibly snuck to Lian under the nose of not only the guards, but also Amanda Waller! Jason appeared next to Roy, knowing that neither of them would sleep until this was sorted out, and they both examined the small parcel.

 

 Roy unfolded it to reveal a minuscule bottle of a sharp green liquid. Attached to the bottle was a small note written in what looked like Vietnamese.

 

“Is that… Poison?” Jason asked cautiously. 

 

“It looks like mom’s nail polish!” Lian said excitedly. “I guess she managed to hide one last bottle!”

 

“So yes, Jason. It could very well be venomous…” Roy muttered, examining the bottle closely. If this was one of Jade’s homemade nail polishes, it could indeed be powerful enough to bring down an elephant. Roy saw more evidence of this possibility when he read the note attached to the bottle.

 

“Mom definitely meant for me to have it, look…” Lian said, as she translated the message. “My darling Lotus Flower - For bullies.” She looked up at both her father and Jason. “When she says “for bullies”, do you think she means..?”

 

“I’d rather not risk it, sweetie.” Roy said, handing the potentially venomous vial to Jason. “Not until we’ve had a chance to properly analyze this stuff. I know that your mom would never do anything to hurt you in a million years, but she doesn’t always think clearly when it comes to other people’s safety.”

 

Lian nodded and stared at the floor, a little dejected. She knew that it was better to be safe with this sort of thing, but it still hurt that she might not be able to have this gift from her mother, when it had obviously meant a great deal to her. The polish would have gone perfectly with Lian’s Cheshire outfit too!

 

“I can get this analyzed first thing in the morning!” said Jason. “We’ve got some equipment over in the safehouse we can use to check what’s in this stuff pretty quick. Once we’re sure it’s nothing lethal, you can have it back, ninjinha!”

 

Lian smiled at Jason, as both he and Roy led her back down the hallway to her bedroom, while Jason continued to examine the vial. “I wouldn’t worry too much, kid!” He said with a grin. “I’m pretty sure, even if this does have venom in it, your mom would start you out on something safe. At worst, it’ll probably just cause a little bit of temporary paralysis if you scratched someone hard enough. And I know enough about these mean streets to know that plenty of clowns out there would have it coming!”

 

“Jason.” Roy warned his husband with a stern glare, while Lian stifled a giggle. He knew Jason was probably joking, but he didn’t feel Lian needed any more encouragement to start picking fights. She already had enough of that from the fact that pretty much every one of her extended family was some kind of vigilante.

 

Lian continued to talk about how she had been hoping to paint her nails to match her upcoming Halloween costume as they led her back to bed, and Jason promised her that she would. Roy was quick to add that they would buy her some non-venomous polish in the same shade if it came to that, before kissing her goodnight and turning off the light.

 

“Never a dull moment around here, huh Red?” Roy said with a sigh as they made their way back to their room.

 

“Heh, you bet!” Jason chuckled. “Hardly even a change of pace from our old work, eh?”

 

“What was she even thinking, giving something like that to Lian? It was so irresponsible!” Roy grumbled to himself, wanting to vent, but feeling it was better not to start ranting at this hour.

 

“Roy, it’s okay!” Jason said, putting a comforting arm around his husband as they entered their bedroom. “I might not know her as well as you do, but even I know Jade would never do anything that would put Lian in danger. Plus, Lian’s a smart kid! I’d trust her with deadly venom more than some actual adults I’ve met out in the field.”

 

Roy raised an eyebrow at that last comment, but then gave a sigh of acceptance. “I guess you have a point… I’m sorry. I probably overreacted a little…”

 

“Don’t apologize for that, Red!” Jason said, giving him another squeeze and gently pulling him over to bed to cuddle more comfortably. “You’re her dad! It’s your job to worry about her safety. Hell, it’s mine too! She’s the best adventure we’ve ever been on!”

 

Roy was quiet for a moment, head resting against his husband’s chest. “The best adventure, huh? Quite a lot to compete with in that contest, don’t you think? What about Brazil?”

 

Jason laughed as he thought back to the fateful mission that had started with them tracking down a fleeing crime boss, which had led to them having to defend a small village from an angry militia of armed goons, and had finally ended with the two of them getting married in the village chapel as a reward for saving the locals. They had later held a slightly more official ceremony upon their return to the States, mostly so that Lian and other friends and family members could take part in the wedding, but Jason always considered their initial elopement in Brazil to be the official start of their marriage.

 

“True, that’s also a pretty good one.” Jason said with a small laugh, as he stroked his husband’s hair. “How could I forget how that one ended…”

 

“Hmm… Maybe you need a reminder, Jaybird?” Roy said, moving his face up to meet Jason’s.

 

“Maybe I do, Vida…” Jason grinned, slipping in a little flirtatious Portuguese at the memory of Brazil. “Maybe I do…” He reached for the lightswitch and their lips met in the darkness as they settled in for a peaceful night together; something which the two of them felt was starting to become a lot more common. And they wouldn’t have had it any other way…

0