Chapter 4 – Full Rosters
98 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
In the various classrooms amongst first years, they were being given instructions by their professors. These instructions included how to bid on a student in order to fill out their class roster. The details were that a sheet was given with the names of all seven students, with a section for priority as well as a section next to each where you put the amount of Crowns they were most willing to spend on them. After all bids were delivered, Headmistress Sarina Finnel and her assistants would go over them, assigning the students to classrooms based upon the priority and amount of Crowns being spent. In the event of two or more classrooms with the same priority level of a student, the classroom that received said student would be the one which was willing to spend the most amount of Crowns on them. This was fairly simplistic. 
 
To make matters more complicated, however, a caveat was thrown in stating that the minimum amount of Crowns to be bid was 100, and the increments must be in 25 Crowns. Furthermore, a percentage of the Crowns spent would be given back to the students individually. While the actual percentage wasn't declared, even if it ends up being one percent each, at minimum everyone in the class would receive 1 Crown; the odds were good it was more than that, however, so it made some classrooms want to spend more to acquire the student they most wanted. 
 
Among the multiple documents detailing the seven students who just participated in the first event of their Academy, different reactions and priorities were being seen. 
 
In Solar Class, the students were less discussing scores and combat potential and most enthralled by the looks of a certain red haired young woman. Chloe Cooper seemed to be their first pick with Katrina Brink as a close second. This, it seems, is largely due to the overwhelming male to female ratio in the class. Unable to persuade the male population, the women were fed up and had no choice but to leave it to them with the condition that they don't spend more than a half of their total Crowns.
 
Order Class, however, was trying to decide how much to bid on certain individuals they would like. They narrowed their candidates down to Aisha of the Northern Grove for her fine display of combat, and Remi Naslund for not only combat, examination scores or Magicka Theory knowledge, but also due to him being particularly handsome. In this class with mostly women, a dashing young man would be most welcome. Issac Hughes was a second candidate. Their talks devolved into debates of how many Crowns to bid, as they do not know when or how much more they will receive or how to earn them, nor how they might be forced to spend them in the future. 
 
In Chaos Class, their discussions were mostly logically derived upon examination scores. They discussed which of the seven students would excel in certain events should they happen. Knowing some of the school-wide ones already thanks to talks with their professor and some of the Council upperclassmen the students happened to have earlier in the day, they had a leg up on the other classes. They also had knowledge that certain rare usable pillar combinations could prove extremely beneficial in the long term. Using this knowledge, their first choices were Remi Naslund for his Restoration Magicka capability or Katrina Brink due to her use of Order and Chaos Magicka, both of which are quite rare to find, especially in Invokers. They are exceedingly rare Magicka users. Those two choices were followed by Aisha and Richard Rosmith. This was due to the latter two of them having multiple first or second ranked exam scores.
 
From the Spirit Class, talks were about those who would bring them in for the cheapest amount of Crowns. They, as a class, decided they were well rounded enough to not really care which of the seven they received. The threw modest amounts of Crowns at the candidates they'd like, but with a minimum of 100 Crowns, they decided not to spend too much for whoever it is they received. Their highest bids went to Remi Naslund and Issac Hughes. 
 
In the Element Class, they were discussing the merit to purchasing one of the students who were adept at combat. This was due to their discussions detailing that not many of their class has much Magicka combat experience, so they would love to have someone who they know is capable of being their class Ace. Of the three high rank candidates, those being Katrina Brink, Remi Naslund and Aisha of the Northern Grove, they decided it didn't matter, so they bid equally on each of them and the minimum amount on the rest. 
 
Meanwhile, in Lunar Class...
 

 
"You're not being reasonable with this, Miss Naslund!" A young man who had gentle facial features and long black hair with brown eyes, Jessie Holmes, protested. "You can't expect us as a class to spend all of our 1000 Crowns to purchase a student. That is insane! We have no idea what happens if our classroom runs out of Crowns, do we Miss Fairefield?"
 
Their professor shook her head with closed eyes. "No, that information has not been provided."
 
Not moved by the protestation whatsoever, Rem just rolled her eyes as she was hearing the same argument as earlier. 
 
"I didn't say we should bid 1000 Crowns on just any student, only my brother. I assure you, it will be well worth it. You saw his strengths in that event, didn't you? As well as his combat rank they gave him and his examination results?" She held her right hand out toward the documents on their professor's desk they were crowding around. "Also, even if we only get a one percent return on our investment, that is still 10 Crowns for each of us. A decent start, don't you think?"
 
Some people agreed with Rem, but others were adamantly against spending such a large amount of class Crowns, let alone all of them.
 
"Look, I know you probably want your brother in this class because you're a complex case, but..." Edward Locke started speaking, the fit young man with shaggy brown hair and hazel eyes. At his statement, Rem was flustered and Kari's eyes narrowed. "I don't mean to be rude, but think of these other candidates. Sure your brother is the only one who received a combat rank of S, which is definitely astonishing but there may be others out there with the same. I myself think I could put up a good fight." 
 
At this, Kari gave a chortle while Rem just stared at him silently while some other students started quietly agreeing and disagreeing amongst themselves.
 
"What, you all don't think so? You don't know me at all." He said as such in a defiant manner and crossed his arms. "Anyway, like I was saying, he only got the top score on the Aetherik Manipulation & Control exam. While admirable, in my opinion, it pales in comparison to Chloe Cooper's two top scores of Spell Chanting Concentration and Languages & History. For Languages & History, especially, as we discussed amongst ourselves earlier, no one in this class did very well. What if an event in the future requires us to have a student translate old texts or something? Also, we need people to help curve our lousy exam scores in the future."
 
"You just want her because she's pretty!" A raised feminine voice rang out, and eyes turned to Monica Aube, the daughter of a baronet in Ebonpoint. She was clutching her blond, weaved ponytail in her hands. "What are the odds some sort of event like that will take place? Do you know, Miss Fairefield?" 
 
Roslyn Fairefield smirked at her discordant group of students. "We haven't been given a schedule of the planned events for this year just yet, but I can say with certainty there was one such event the year before last, if that helps move along your decision."
 
"See? It could definitely happen then. I say we go all in on Chloe!" declared Edward. 
 
Some people agreed with the sentiment, while others were against it, leaving yet more uncertain of the whole ordeal.
 
"Now is not the time to be shy. Anyone with ideas or concerns should be speaking up. You all have roughly an hour before the deadline, so be quick about it." Their professor lectured them with motivation to continue their discussions.
 
"Listen, objectively speaking here, I think Miss Naslund and Lady Kari's brother is the best choice on paper." A new voice spoke up, belonging to a young woman stepping toward the desk. She had wavy, grey-blonde colored hair that reached her lower back, with dark olive skin. She pushed up on her glasses, fitting them into place as if framing eyes the color of crimson. Her name was Sonja Rosman, and she is a Kaleyni, or commonly referred to as a Blood Elf -- a nomadic tribe of elves from both Kalnori and Estes. She did indeed have pointed ears, longer than the twins' but shorter than other elves.  
 
"I say this due to three main points. First, he is an Invoker, as we saw in the match we witnessed earlier. Rare enough as they are, it is genetics that make this possible. I am willing to bet our own Miss Naslund is also an Invoker, right?" Sonja cast her gaze upon the half-elf who was sitting with her arms crossed at her desk. Rem did not confirm no deny this. 
 
"If Miss Naslund is an Invoker as well, why do we need another one? We already have a large advantage over the other classes that way!" Jessie tried to argue against picking Remi once again.
 
Sonja didn't hesitate and fired back. "Even if Miss Naslund is an Invoker, I would argue that having two would be better than one. Think of Magicka based events that might encourage speed, wouldn't having two Invokers be incredibly advantageous? Also, regardless of him being an Invoker, there are many things we can benefit from having him on our roster in regards to multiple events, especially with his top scoring exam being Aetherik Manipulation & Control. We could also stand to learn from him as a class, right?"
 
Bringing that argument to the class, Sonja stirred up some thoughts of being able to learn the most important part of Magicka from the best among the first years. Seeing that, she continued to make her case. "Second, his combat potential is a rank of S. They don't just hand out that kind of ranking lightly. Think of an S rank demonic beast or Horror in the wild we've learned about. His capability is considered on par with those creatures." Kari and Rem just smiled, their faces looking as if lost in a reverie of times past. A few classmates noticed this, giving rise to pointing and hushed agreement. 
 
Their professor took the moment to interject. "Miss Rosman is correct. In my years of teaching here, and in the numerous years I spent at Ostes National University before graduating, I've only seen six other students hold a combat rank of S. One is currently a 4th year at the Academy. That said, sometimes things slip through the cracks and rankings from the administration can't be relied on, as ranks fluctuate. Take it as a guideline rather than something set in stone." She agreed with Sonja's assessment but gave her own thoughts on the matter. 
 
Nodding to Miss Fairefield, Sonja pointed out her last argument. "Third, and this last one is my own personal opinion speaking here but it stands to reason, he seems to be a kind and selfless individual, probably easy to get along with. The reason I state this is due to his capability to use Restoration Magicka, as some may have seen after the two matches. He didn't have to go out of his way to do so, and yes he may have been trying to show off his abilities to get a higher evaluation from the classes, but that, to me, was a gesture that goes a long way. Kindness is often lost among the strong, proud Magicians."
 
Though her final argument was her opinion, a lot of people agreed with the sentiment. Others scoffed or rolled their eyes, muttering that he was probably just trying to look good, but they were fewer in number. 
 
"As I said before, I believe he is the best choice on paper. I also believe that he will be the highest priority and highest priced individual among the rest for that very reason; other classes will notice the same. If we want to obtain him, we will need to spend the Crowns to do so. If we want to save our Crowns, we should go with another. I also think that woman, Katrina Brink, will also cost quite a bit, as her combat display as an Invoker and her exam scores for Science and Magicka Theory will fetch a high price."
 
Sonja concluded her arguments and the talks continued for a time. A lot of people agreed with her objective assessment, but there were many other arguments to be made for the other candidates as well. In the end, time had run out and the various classes submitted their bids.
 

 
Aisha (of the Northern Grove):
  • Exams:
    • Ranked #2 Mathematics, Aetherik Manipulation & Control, and Spell Chanting Concentration
  • Combat Rank: A+
    • Known pillars: Solar, Spirit and Element. 
 

 
Katrina Brink:
  • Exams:
    • Ranked #1 in Science and Magicka Theory. Ranked #2 in Magicka Pillar Knowledge. Ranked #5 in Sciences.
  • Combat Rank: A
    • Known pillars: Order and Chaos
 

 
Chloe Cooper:
  • Exams:
    • Ranked #1 in Languages & History and Spell Chanting Concentration. Ranked #2 in Sciences. Ranked #5 in Aetherik Manipulation & Control.
  • Combat Rank: B+
    • Known pillars: Element and Order
 

 
Issac Hughes:
  • Exams:
    • Ranked #1 in Magicka Pillar Knowledge. Ranked #4 in Languages & History
  • Combat Rank: C+
    • Known pillars: Element
 

 
Sojuro Nakata:
  • Exams:
    • Ranked #2 in Languages & History. Ranked #4 in Magicka Pillar Knowledge
  • Combat Rank: C
    • Known pillars: Spirit
 

 
Remi Naslund:
  • Exams:
    • Ranked #1 in Aetherik Manipulation & Control. Ranked #3 in Science and Magicka Theory.
  • Combat Rank: S
    • Known pillars used: Solar, Spirit and Order. 
 

 
Richard Rosmith:
  • Exams:
    • Ranked #1 in Mathematics and Sciences. 
  • Combat Rank: D+
    • Known pillars used: Spirit and Order. 
 

In the main lobby of the Classroom Building, the seven students waited as Lady Finnel and her assistants poured over the incoming bids. The atmosphere was awkward to say the least, as no one really knew how to handle being treated as livestock at an auction. Katrina Brink, however, stood aloof and expressionless as usual while Aisha, her hands bandaged due to refusing Restoration Magicka even from the medical assistant, alternated between scowling at Remi and looking at nothing. 
 
Earlier, all the first year students piled out of the building to go their separate ways for the day, looking at the seven in various ways: some with smiles, others with a smirk, some with sad or compassionate faces and a lot more with neutral expressions than you'd think given the circumstances. 
 
The friends of each of the seven tried to wait around with them, but were quickly ushered out by Lady Finnel and the professors, who were left behind to discuss some matters. 
 
After a brief 10 minutes or so, Lady Finnel addressed the group of seven. 
 
"Well, it looks like matters might be a bit more complicated than we initially thought. My apologies, but this is the first time we've done an event in such a way. We'll spend some more time going over these bids, but one thing is certain." She gazed at a young man with golden blond hair who was sitting on a bench nearby, looking up at her. "Mister Richard Rosmith, I am afraid you have been eliminated from this event and will be subsequently removed from Aristes Magical Academy."
 
Shock ran through the young man's body, as a pained expression gathered on his face. The reactions of the seven tried to remain neutral, but sympathy showed on the faces of Chloe, Issac, Sojuro and Remi. Katrina and Aisha remained stoic. 
 
"I don't understand! Why is this happening? Didn't I rank first in two subjects? I know I didn't do the best in the event, but I have a lot of value to bring to this school. I came here to learn! Why am I being treated this way?!" He lamented his fate so, but Lady Finnel remained composed. 
 
"It is truly regrettable to be losing a bright young man such as yourself, but you are free to enroll again next year. Please go with my assistant Wynne here, she will guide you to the Administration Building. There, you'll need to fill out some paperwork and we'll be offering parting compensation for your time. Also, please do not speak to any students along the way. Finally, thank you for enrolling in our Academy! Please don't be discouraged, as we hope to see you again next year." She gave a slight bow of respect, with a blank expression.
 
The young Richard was aghast at the treatment he was receiving. Both enraged and sorrowful, tears leaked out of his red eyes as he held his head down and followed Wynne out the front door, saying nothing to the others left behind.
 
Lady Finnel clapped her hands as if clearing the mood of the room away and brightly smiled at the remaining six students. 
 
"So! Congratulations on being acquired by one of the six classes! Unfortunately young Mister Rosmith was not so lucky, regardless of his talents, but that is how the world works. It is one of the foremost lessons we try to teach here at the Academy: life doesn't care if you're special. If you don't fight for what you want in it, life will shove you down and leave you there." She giggled and clasped her hands together in front of her.
 
"Poor Richard..." Chloe spoke up first, followed by Issac. "Uh, well he can try again next year, she said. Right, um, Lady Finnel?" 
 
"Of course!" she replied. "I meant what I said. He is free to try again next year, with the added experience of knowing what to expect. The forms he will be filling out will bind him from sharing our secrets with the outside world while he is away, but rumors will still pop up here and there. It's inevitable. Mister Rosmith will just need to bide his time before the next school year." She smiled and nodded at the students.
 
"Well, like I said we have some more work to do with these bids as there are some inconsistencies, as well as some other things to address. In the meantime, feel free to head to your dorms and mingle with your friends, who I am sure are very curious about everything. We'll send a messenger to you all at your dorms later once we reach a conclusion, notifying you of your class assignment and your share of the Crowns spent on you all. As a note, you'll be receiving 15 percent of the amount spent in personal Crowns for having go through with our little opening ceremony tradition. Consider it our gift to you for playing a role in our opening event!"
 
Lady Finnel finished speaking with the students and ushered them out the door. They all said their goodbyes to each other as they went their separate ways, some alone or others to their friends who were waiting. 
 
Remi looked around outside for a moment, then walked up to a group of three young women. Two were his sister and childhood friend. The other was a young woman with glasses and grey-blond wavy hair. She was Sonja Rosman from Lunar Class. They appeared to be in quiet conversation as he approached. 
 
"So, that was something." Remi spoke up. Rem and Kari rolled their eyes, before they each punched both shoulders of his. "Hey what was that for? I thought I'd get a much different reception after what I just went through!" Slightly hurt by their attitudes, Remi smirked at them.
 
"Oh please, you looked like you were having fun out there." Kari's voice dripped with vexation. "Did you want to show off that badly?" She lightened her tone and gave him a mocking grin. 
 
"Brother, did I not say that there would be trouble? I knew it the second your name wasn't on the list! Why does trouble love you so?" Rem scolded her brother in a sardonic manner. "You need to be more vigilant, even here!"
 
"Yes, yes, I am aware that you were right and I was wrong. What else is new? I'm sorry for doubting you." Saying so sincerely but with a twinge of sarcasm, Remi calmly tousled her hair as he glanced at the third girl who was looking at the trio with a gentle demeanor. "Who is this young woman? A friend?" 
 
The scarlet haired girl coughed at the insinuation that they were friends.
 
"She's a girl from Lunar Class, our classmate. She followed us and said she wanted to meet you, as she assumed we'd be gathering together after class was over." Kari gave the explanation cheerfully enough, but Remi knew his friend well and she was unhappy about the intrusion. She'd never let it show on the surface, however.
 
"Pardon me, I am Sonja Rosman. It is a pleasure to meet you, Mister Naslund. Like Lady Kari said, I am in Lunar Class with her and your sister." She introduced herself politely and offered her slender hand in greeting. Remi took the hand and gave it a modest shake. 
 
"Nice to meet you, Miss Rosman. Please, call me Remi. I have been addressed as 'Mister' more often today than I have in my entire life and it is something I am just not comfortable with." He returned her greeting with a wry smile and a request he once made earlier today. "It will take me awhile to get used to that part of the culture here." 
 
The two other women present raised their eyebrows at that remark, before looking at each other and nodded, shrugging their shoulders. Perhaps they didn't seem to care for the honorifics either. 
 
"Well then, Remi it will be. Feel free to call me Sonja, it is only fair." She smiled slightly at the young man.
 
"Sure, Sonja. So, what can I do for you? Kari said you had wanted to meet me... or is something on your mind?" 
 
"Oh, yes it was nothing important. I just wanted to meet the man whose sister spoke so highly of." She eyed Rem who glared at her. "She gave such an impassioned speech in front of the class about how one would find themselves being 'hurt one-hundred-fold for how much they hurt you' and what not.  Lady Kari also threatened the class with much the same. It was clear you are loved very much." She teased, a hand covering her mouth.
 
Kari groaned, putting her palm on her face. Rem, however, just grabbed her brothers right arm.
 
"Of course, my dear younger brother would be lost without us. It's our job as elder sisters to guide him properly." Clutching his arm tightly, Rem glanced at her brother's confused expression with a pleased look on her face. 
 
Giving a sigh, Remi acquiesced to the sudden attachment but held an uncomfortable expression. "Oh, please. I'd love to hear you explain how you 'guide me properly.'" He turned his head to the grumbling dark elf. "Did you two really say something about me in your class? What brought that on?" 
 
"No! I mean, maybe a little, but only to help reaffirm Rem's speech. It was... awkward." She looked off into the distance, thinking about something before shaking it off. "Regardless, it was true but there's a time and place for these things, you know? Now the whole class thinks your sister has a complex." 
 
Nodding in agreement while looking at the young half-elf who was attached to her brother's arm, Sonja gave a grin. "I don't think it's that far off the mark, given the display I'm seeing." 
 
"What, can't I be happy that my brother is alright after being exposed to such a violent event on the day of the opening ceremony? I was worried he'd be hurt!" Rem pouted a bit, showing a truly pitiable display that elicited no empathy from the others.
 
Kari rolled her eyes. "Yeah right, maybe if he had fought against that other Invoker.. Katrina, was it? Maybe then he might have had trouble, but against a single combatant like that wicked Wood Elf it was obvious Remi was going to win. That said, that last burst of energy she displayed to take out that Issac kid was immense. She definitely showed her hand a bit too much using an original Sun Magicka enhanced spell. If anyone has to fight against her in an event in the future, they'll know to expect such a thing."
 
Remi nodded at this. Rem, however, scolded her brother. "Yes, and you too, brother! You showed your abilities off too much! How are you going to keep anything a secret now?" She let go of his arm and gave him a derisive look. 
 
"What are you talking about, Rem? You know I have a lot more up my sleeve if the situation calls for it. I was just told by Lady Finnel to 'demonstrate my value' so that I don't get expelled from school. Speaking of, you saw that guy right? Richard Rosmith. It turns out he was the one who didn't get picked up by a class and was sent to the Administration Building, where I assume they'll process his expulsion." He shook his head. "What a farce, this whole thing. He was a nice enough guy, and bright too."
 
Raising an eyebrow, Sonja spoke up at this. "So he wasn't purchased by a class huh? How about you, Remi? Which class did you get assigned to?"
 
"No idea. Lady Finnel and her assistants, as well as the professors, told us to go ahead to our dorms as they needed to finish going over the bids and 'other things', in their words. They will supposedly send a messenger to the dorms later today informing each of us about who goes where. Oh, and apparently we six will get 15 percent of the Crowns spent to purchase us. I guess that's nice, though I don't know what they're used for other than vacation days, as Lady Finnel didn't explain much to us."
 
"Hoh? 15 percent huh? That's not bad at all. Did they say how much we'll be getting? The documents said every student would get a percentage of the Crowns spent but it didn't indicate how much." Kari asked, curious about the acquisition of the school's currency. She wanted to go shopping as soon as possible, Remi could almost bet on it.
 
Shaking his head, Remi replied. "No, she didn't say anything about the other students getting anything, sorry. This whole situation feels weird. Though, I mean, it's at least interesting, I'll give it that."
 
"So how does it feel to be put up for auction like a slave or cattle?" Sonja asked, jokingly. 
 
"How rude! My brother isn't a slave to anyone but his us." Rem casually remarked that her brother was subjugated already. No one seemed to take the bait on that subject.
 
"... I resent that. Anyway, yeah like I said this whole thing felt weird to me. I saw the documents that you all had copies of, supposedly, and the information that was on them was interesting, eh? It definitely seems like they're trying to pin the six of us up as rivals or leaders of some sort, and judging by the looks I am getting already... " He looked around the compound directly outside the southern doors of the Classroom Building, where various small groups of friends were chatting and sneaking glances at him and the group of women he's with. Some were of envy or scorn, others of bewilderment, while more were fearful or full of hostility. 
 
"One can assume you six will be the all the gossip for quite awhile, huh? My sympathies." Sonja bowed her head in respect before looking up with a wry smile. "It just means you'll be popular, one way or the other. Better get used to it. I am sure plenty of envious guys will be wanting to challenge you to a sanctioned duel in the future, especially due to the company you keep." She eyed the two beautiful women on either side of him. 
 
"Yeah, about that." Remi scratched his cheek. "I'm used to it? I guess. "
 
"Of course, you had to protect us all these years!" Kari said sincerely, but Rem and his sister both knew she was being just as sarcastic.
 
"Anyway, lets go check out the dorms and see the facilities, shall we?" Grabbing his arm again, Rem attached herself and started dragging him away.
 
Forcing his sister to stop for a moment, Remi turned and said to Sonja. "I guess that is what we're doing now," he said with a shrug. "It was nice to meet you, Sonja Rosman. I am sure we'll meet again." He gave a polite bow.
 
"You have it rough, don't you?" Sonja said with a grin. "Yes, it was a pleasure to meet you Remi Naslund. I look forward to speaking with you again." She bowed and walked off in the direction of the girls dormitory. 
 
Watching her leave for a moment, Remi asked, "So it felt like she was interested in more than just meeting me. Maybe she wanted information about something? Am I wrong?" 
 
"Mm, nope, I felt the same from her even in class. She seems to be one of those types. Oh, to let you know, she made a whole case about why you're the best choice out of the seven candidates. It was a decent argument without much refutation. She helped your sister and I make you first priority for our bids, which made it seem like she was your biggest fan." Kari casually mentioned something so outrageous, with a smirk on her face.
 
"Huh, well I guess it doesn't matter right now. Where to, Rem?" He asked his sister, who seemed bored of the topic of the girl. 
 
"Hm? To your room of course! We must know what to expect if we are to venture forth the male dorms in the future." As she declared this, Remi and Kari could only shake their heads as they walked toward the male dormitory.
 

 
The dormitories attached to the Classroom Building were erected as large, sturdy towers of slate and marble stonework. Standing at over 30 meters, they had 8 floors. Skybridges were connecting both dormitories and the Classroom Building in a sort of triangle formation, as there was a tower on both the east and west sides. There were four skybridges from the dorms to the Classroom Building, two connected at each end on the 3rd and 6th floors. There was a singular, longer and wider skybridge connecting both dormitory towers on the 4th floor. 
 
The two dormitory towers were separated by gender, but that didn't mean men couldn't visit the women's dorm or vice versa. On the contrary, it appeared the Academy welcomed cohabitation, within school rules. Promiscuity and sexual relations were prohibited while on campus, but public displays of affection, so long as classes weren't in session for the day, were tolerated. That didn't mean such relations didn't happen, but only that the students were more careful about it. As such, the Administration looked the other way unless it became a problem.
 
Inside the dorms, there were enough rooms for every student at the Academy to have their own. Each floor contained 25 rooms, albeit not the greatest in size, but they were spacious enough for a single occupant without amenities. The small room with adjacent shower closet had enough space for a single bed, a dresser, a bookshelf and a desk and chair, with only a slight open space. Since plumbing also ran into each room, allowing for personal showers and a sink, which were a luxury in the Crown City, students didn't have to use the public baths located on the 3rd floor if they didn't want to. The baths were heated constantly, however, due to some Magical Devices used in the design and were used frequently at any rate.
 
For food, students had two options. First, they could go to the always open cafeteria in the Classroom Building's 3rd floor and eat for free during breakfast, lunch and dinner, but they'd have to pay a Crown for off-hours fare. Off-hours consisted between 8 at night to 6 in the morning. 
 
The second option was heading into the campus town. The town was run by carefully selected individuals who managed the governmental affairs while not meddling in the Academy's. 
 
Those who wanted to leave the campus town, much like students, had to get approval. This was to prevent information leaks and other problems. Living there had its perks, however, in that they also participated in the Crowns system. Those would worked there received normal wages, but also could receive Crowns as payment for goods and services. This was due to a magical device called a Crown Stone that all residents, including students once they receive it in their dorms, would carry. 
 
Once affixed with their personal seal, their personal Crown Stone, linked via a unique and original Order and Spirit Magicka spell to one of three master devices held in the vaults of the Academy, could display their written balance in their mind when flowing aetherik into it. It could also be used to pay in all stores and restaurants in the campus town by pressing ones hand against a device in the store while holding onto their own device, and flowing mana into both. It is a new and really convenient method of payment that was trying to make its debut into the Crown City Ryndel in the coming years. The Academy was working with both the Prime Minister and the various banks that are being created to house the master records. Further research is being looked into to allow those who cannot manipulate aetherik to use this system, but it is still years away.
 
After making a short visit to Remi's dorm on the third floor, the trio found both Kari's and Rem's room on the 4th floor of the female dorms, only a few doors away from each other. They were both happy to know they were conveniently close to each other. Sitting inside Rem's room, where she started putting her luggage away, Remi and Kari sat on her bed going over the pamphlets that were laid out there. 
 
"The things you can spend Crowns on are quite convenient and equally ridiculous." Kari mused. "It appears that you can spend 10 Crowns to reserve the outdoor baths near the campus town for an hour, while most food at restaurants only costs one or two Crowns. Also, it looks like you can use Crowns to purchase supplies from the various vendors in the town, such as school materials, clothing, or even things to decorate your dorm rooms." She looked around the bare room and saw Rem putting clothes into the dresser. 
 
"Yeah I heard vacation days could be bought with Crowns. I wonder if perhaps you could use Crowns to excuse being tardy? Or maybe even get out of taking an exam or something. They did say that not everything you can use Crowns for is listed. They want us to find them somehow, huh? I wonder if we could ask any upperclassmen..." Thinking of a certain child-like second year, Remi thought he'd bring it up the next chance he had.
 
"The professor's don't seem to want to help divulge that information. At least, not Miss Fairefield, the Lunar Class professor. She grates my nerves, that woman. You should have seen it, Remi! She was messing with Rem so horridly. I thought she'd end up throwing a spell at the professor." Laughing at the memory from earlier in the day, Kari looked and stuck her tongue out at Rem who was glaring back at her. 
 
"Oh? What happened?" asked Remi, curious about what could have caused his typically stoic Rem to get flustered. 
 
Disregarding Rem's scowl, Kari responded, "Well, let's just say she alluded to Rem that you and the other six students in that event were being withdrawn from the Academy and fighting to the death today." She laughed at that. "As if they could so easily kill you, but it still riled your sister up quite a bit."
 
"Ohh Kari, she made me so mad! I don't know if I'll be able to get along with her at all, and we're stuck with her for 4 years! Maybe we can spend Crowns to change professors, that would be just splendid." Rem proposed something unconscionable in the most offhanded manner, which caused Remi some concern. 
 
"Hey it's only the first time you've met, there's no reason you can't get along going forward. So she teased you a bit, it's no big deal." Remi tried to brush off the proposal by alleviating the scorn felt from Rem. "I'm alive, and yeah we did have to fight but it was fairly safe. That said, I don't see why they allowed bladed weaponry, or weaponry at all for a mock event, but..."
 
"Yeah you're fine, but now she knows she can get a rise out of Rem just by mentioning you. It's going to be a headache for her going forward until she gets a grip on people messing around with you, Remi." Kari casually chided Rem while bringing Remi up to speed. 
 
"I see, so just don't let her get to you Rem, simple as that. You know I can take care of myself, you don't need to get mad for my sake. I may be pretty easy going, but I know when enough is enough. I have a lot more tolerance than you two, at least." He smirked at the two girls.
 
"How can you say that?! That is the problem entirely, brother! You have too much tolerance! You shouldn't be letting people walk all over you or say horrible things to your face. It sets a bad example and will cause more people to do it over time. Remember what happened at our last school the first couple years we started learning Magicka? It'll happen again!" Trying to plead to her brother's sensibilities, Rem brought up past memories of bullying and traumatic experiences, causing the family to move several times.
 
Lost in thought for a few moments, Remi shook his head, ridding him of the reverie. "It's okay, I learned how to deal with those types of people from all that. It won't happen again, I promise you. So lay off being so upset for my sake, alright?" He walked over to Rem as she was putting some books on shelves and patted her on the head, while giving her shoulder a hug. He learned how to placate his sister in this manner years ago.
 
"Fine, but don't come crying to me if people start harassing you again." She sneered, but leaned into the hug. 
 
Suddenly Kari's arms wrapped around the two and pulled them both into her chest. "Oh me too, I want in on this. Mm, that's good." She smiled at the both of them. "Don't worry Remi, if you get into trouble you can come crying to me instead." She winked at him, teasing Rem a little.
 
"It'll be fine, don't worry about it." He said with confidence. He then briefly thought of the scowling Wood Elf from earlier this morning, Aisha. There's always those types around, huh?
 
Pulling away and sitting back down on the bed, Kari addressed the two siblings. "Well, I am sure this Academy is going to be interesting one way or another. We came to learn, didn't we?" 
 
"Of course. There's so much I don't know. I have a lot to figure out," Remi replied. 
 
"Graduating from here is quite prestigious, so most people from here go on to do great things. Besides, no one here knows of me, or especially you two, so we don't have to worry about things for at least 4 years, granted we don't get withdrawn or expelled..." Kari looked up at the ceiling with one eye open, side-eyeing Remi with a smirk. 
 
"Classes haven't even begun and I already had a close call. We'll just have to take it a day at a time, won't we? And look, even if something happens to me, you two can still attend. It won't be a big deal. Mother told you two, right? You have aspirations of your own. We can't keep running forever." Remi told the two in a serious tone.
 
"Oh shut it!" Rem smacked her brothers shoulder with a thwack, hard enough to nearly send him reeling. "You know I couldn't leave you alone. Don't tell me you forgot the promise we all made?" 
 
How could I forget? he thought and shook his head slowly. "No, but I was serious. It isn't like I'd wander off leaving you all here while I traveled the world. I'd just hide out in Ryndel until you graduated." 
 
"Nope! Denied. We're staying together and that's that. So do your best, brother. Kari and I will as well." She beamed a gracious smile at him while Kari agreed. 
 
"Yes, and I want to do as much studying in Science and Magicka Theory as possible, as well as research in the Magicka Engineering department, so... try not to ruin it for me, will you?" Getting up from the bed, the tall dark elf girl smiled at him and ruffled his platinum blond hair with her slender fingers.
 
Remi thought these two women in his life were far too stubborn, but he was grateful for them regardless.
 
"Anyway, how about some dinner? It's still early, but should we go grab some food at the cafeteria and see how it is? They said it's open today." Remi suggested casually, changing the subject.
 
"Help me finish unpacking real quick, then I'll go!" Rem appealed to her brother for assistance, not wanting to leave the job undone.
 
Shortly thereafter they entered the cafeteria on the 3rd floor of the Classroom Building, and noticed it was strangely empty. "Well, I didn't think there'd be so few people, but we did come early I suppose. Look, there's the ordering station." Remi pointed to the corner of the kitchen area where there were menus displaying artistic renditions of meals, with brief descriptions.
 
The trio got in line behind two other students, waiting their turn. After ordering some classic dishes, the siblings getting pasta with some meat sauce and bread, while Kari ordered some rice curry with mixed vegetables, they waited a few minutes for their food. Afterward, they went sat at one of the many empty booths against the wall. Kari sat on one side with the siblings on the other, Rem taking the aisle side seat after Remi sat down first. He questioned his sister's choice internally but it didn't matter to him. He thought maybe she was sticking close to him because he mentioned that she should stay here while he left, if it ever came to that.
 
They discussed the pamphlets they found, and the numerous ways to spend Crowns. They were incredibly interested in more or less free currency, for just being a student. After talking over the merits of such a system, they didn't find it being a bad thing. It was yet another incentive to do well in the Academy, which inspires people and promotes growth. 
 
After such talks while eating their meal, they were suddenly interrupted by the appearance of a small girl beside their table. She had black hair done up in twin tails, big brown eyes with a slender body and virtually non-existent breasts. She was wearing the uniform of the Academy, so the two women present assumed she was an upperclassman. Remi, however, knew her from earlier today. 
 
"Oh hey, Miss Seno. Nice to see you. I was just thinking I'd like to ask you something when I saw you again. What brings you here?" asked Remi, thinking she was here to say hello again. His sister and Kari eyed the little girl suspiciously.
 
"Good afternoon, Naslund. Or is it evening now? It's doesn't matter, you know? I'm glad to see you survived the event from earlier." She giggled and gave a slight smile. Looking to the two women with him, Sabuki introduced herself to them, giving a slight bow. "Greetings, I am Sabuki Seno, 2nd year Order Class. Nice to meet you two."
 
"I'm Kari. A pleasure." She nodded her head to the girl, who didn't stand much more than 150 centimeters. 
 
Rem finished chewing the food she was eating and introduced herself. "I'm Rem Naslund. A pleasure to meet you as well. Tell me, how do you know my brother?" Asking such a thing immediately could be seen as rude, but interrupting people while they're eating could be also be construed as bad manners so Remi concluded it was probably a wash.
 
"Oh, I met him this morning after being told to escort him to the event, you know? We talked briefly is all, but I was fascinated by his eyes and wanted to meet with him again sometime. Luckily I was given that chance, you know?" She stared at Remi's face, studying his eyes with a fanciful expression. 
 
"Ahem!" Clearing her throat, Rem glared at the young girl. "While it was nice to meet our upperclassman, we are in the middle of a meal right now. If you don't have anything else..." 
 
"Don't be so hasty, Rem. I'm sure she didn't come here just to say hello, not that there is anything wrong with that. It looks like you have something there, isn't that right?" Remi noticed a folded piece of paper in Sabuki's hand. 
 
"Yes, that's right. I was tasked with giving you this, but you weren't in your dorm room, so I figured you might be getting some food, you know? I just happened to be correct, which saved me some time." She handed over the paper to Remi. "With that complete, I am going to go get some dinner myself with some friends in the campus town. Nice seeing you again, Naslund. Let's talk more next time, okay? Later!" She turned and started walking away, but stopped. 
 
"Oh! You said you wanted to ask me something, right? What was it? Do you want my room number? It's 114 on the 5th floor. " Sabuki had a glint in her eye with a smirk.
 
Rem and Kari got a bit flustered at her forwardness, while Remi could only smile wryly and chuckle before asking her what he wanted to know.
 
"While I appreciate that information, what I wanted to ask was if you could tell me what kind of things Crowns might be used for that aren't listed in the handouts we received. Is there anything off the wall that we should be aware of?"
 
"Hmm." She thought for a moment, a finger on her lips as she looked up at nothing. "I guess the most important one to know is personal duels, where you must get approval from the Administration. I believe it is a wager of thirty percent of the challenger's current Crowns, with a minimum of 30. If it gets approved, the one challenged must comply." 
 
"Well, that is extremely important information to know." Remi spoke, while the other three agreed. "Anything else?"
 
"Not that I can really think of. Oh, the only advice I can really give you is to enjoy your Crowns as much as you can. It will start to get harder and harder to hold onto them, and you'll start being forced to use them for class events soon enough." Sabuki gave them all something to ponder. "Anyway, that's all I'll tell you for now! I have to now. It was nice chatting. Bye-bye!" She gave Remi and wink and walked toward the nearby exit. 
 
"What a flirtatious little girl! We need to be wary of women like her, Kari." Rem said to her best friend with vigor. 
 
Kari just sighed but then ended up agreeing with her. "I agree, she could be trouble. Remi, don't get tempted by the first woman who flirts with you, okay?" 
 
"Huh? What are you even talking about? She winked at me, so what?" He was genuinely confused, wondering why they of all people would think something like that would tempt his libido. "You two have worn me down so much that it'd take a miracle for me to fall in love at this point." 
 
The two girls grinned at each other, oblivious to Remi's mental anguish. He then looked at the note he received and unfolded it, reading its contents. A smile crept across his face, then he showed the two girls. The contents read:
 

 
Congratulations on passing the first mini-event of the year! The following shows the class assignments for each participant and the Crowns each class spent to acquire said student. The students who participated in the mini-event have received Personal Crowns totaling 15 percent of the amount spent to purchase them. Students in each class have received Personal Crowns totaling 3 percent of the amount spent. 
 
This amounts to a 'redistributed refund' of roughly, 75% of the total amount spent, slightly adjusted after accounting for rounding.

Lunar Class - Acquired Remi Naslund - 750 Class Crowns spent - Naslund received 113 Crowns - Students received 23 Crowns. 

Element Class - Acquired Katrina Brink - 475 Class Crowns spent - Brink received 71 Crowns - Students received 14 Crowns. 

Chaos Class - Acquired Aisha (of the Northern Grove) - 450 Class Crowns spent - Aisha received 68 Crowns - Students received 14 Crowns.

Solar Class - Acquired Chloe Cooper - 325 Class Crowns spent - Cooper received 49 Crowns - Students received 10 Crowns. 

Order Class - Acquired Isaac Hughes - 200 Class Crowns spent - Hughes received 30 Crowns - Students received 6 Crowns. 

Spirit Class - Acquired Sojuro Nakata - 125 Class Crowns spent - Nakata received 19 Crowns - Students received 4 Crowns.

 
 
Richard Rosmith has been eliminated and subsequently removed from the Academy. 
 
This information will be posted on the first year information boards this evening as well and displayed for the next couple days for all to see. Congratulations again and have a wonderful first year. 
 
See you at the next event!
 
Sarina Finnel
Headmistress of Aristes Magical Academy
 

 
After reading, their eyes widened a little then looked up at him.
 
"Looks like we'll be classmates, huh?" Remi said with a smile. 
 
Grinning widely, Rem hugged him while Kari smiled and said, "It worked out, somehow. I was a little worried when they didn't agree to spend the whole 1000 Crowns on you, though. We all figured you would and that Katrina girl would end up being the most wanted of the bunch, so we had to put up quite a bit. 750 was our limit, how fortuitous!" 
 
"You tried to get them to spend all of the class Crowns on me? Of course they'd veto that idea." He frowned at the thought before Rem spoke up. 
 
"Between us and a few others, including that Sonja girl, we managed to convince them you were a first priority. We couldn't persuade them to spend the entire Class Crown balance on it, however, as everyone was scared of running out. The school year is just starting, and no one knows whats going to happen, so they wanted a buffer. We managed to compromise on three-quarters of the total, and everyone agreed that since we bought you, you will be working off those Crowns!" 
 
She smiled as if it was normal for her to suggest such a thing. 
 
"What? No way, I'm not going to be Lunar Class' work horse. I refuse." Adamantly shaking his head, hands waving in front of him, Remi denied any responsibility for what Lunar Class did with their Crowns. Kari and Rem just looked at each other and nodded, a knowing looking happening between them.
 
"Anyway, what even happens if a class reaches zero Crowns? Anything?" Remi asked because it wasn't in the pamphlet they read earlier, so he wasn't sure. 
 
"Nothing that we know of, yet. The professor made it seem that way on purpose." Kari responded. "Who knows, though. I can only imagine some sort of challenge or event might take place like today. That being said, running out of Personal Crowns could be a problem if we're forced to spend them on anything soon. If we run out by the end of the 1st month of the school year, the class faces penalties and the student gets withdrawn, was it? That seems like a big deal. Each student is going to have to keep everyone in check."
 
"Yeah it definitely seems like a hassle. There's also what that Sabuki upperclassman said just now to keep in mind. I imagine there will be some discussion on this tomorrow. At any rate, I guess I have a decent amount of Crowns now. You two and everyone else in Lunar class have some Crowns as well, so let's hope we don't need to spend too many Crowns any time soon. I guess we should attune our Crown Stones tonight?"
 
After they finished their meals, they moved the discussion and talks to Kari's dorm room while helping her unpack her luggage. As the evening drew to a close, Remi bid them good night and found himself walking back to his own room, looking forward to the first day of classes in the morning.
 
 
3