Prologue
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue:

 Two Guards stood before the city gate. One was a solid man, who's hair started to turn gray and his face suggested his that this wasn't the first year, where he stood guard. The one next to him was shorter, thinner and looked half his age at best.His hair was still a full dark brown color. 

They both had a spear made of wood with a silver spear tip, while the other end was flat. 

Their current armor was a mix of Iron breastplate, chainmail for the limbs and a bland light brown cotton shirt underneath. 

The older one of the two guards currently looked longengly at the freshly expanded City walls, as if he rembered some time long ago that would never return. 

A somewhat high pitched voice ripped him out of his thoughts. 

''So Pa, '' said the younger '' how long do you think she needs before she buggers off?''

The younger one, Tom was his name, talked about an young immigrant women who just entered the city. Gaz, that was the name of the older guard, was an rather experienced man and could tell how long a person would need to realize if he can make it in the city or not. This was the result of his years of experience as a guard.

Guards were mostly a family in the literally and figurerally sense. The city guard encouraged hiring of family members, as not everybody could become a city guard. A certain amount of trust had to exist to be.  Some were father and son, while some were brothers or close as some. 

In fact most guards members could and would call each other by name. 

Standing guard was a somewhat boring job. While the two guards prefered it to the hustle that was a year ago, it was still dreary. So it was not unusual for guards to know a lot about each other, or to play certain guessing games. 

''Tom please, I thought you better manners didn't I? What would your Mother say? ...'' Gaz smiled.'' A month, at best''

''Damn PA, you should really teach me the trick behind this.''

''Tom, this is just experience, this comes with time. Just pay attention.''

Another young man came up today to the city gate. He was still young and his face screamed inexperience. He wore cheap but practical clothes. The shirt he wore had a purse hanging around his neck, it clang from the coins scrapping together. His pants hang losely around his hip. The only reason they were still up, was that a rope was tied up in especially made holes. A tan bag hang on his back. You could see how nervous he was a mile away by the way he walked. 

 It was clearly the first time he visited a city. 

''Hello good sir, do you have a indentification, or do you have to pay the toll?'' said

Gaz,he knew that this man wasn't a citizien of this city, his clothes while well off, betrayed that he was until now not livng in any city. Probably some bastard or some thirdborn trying his luck here.

The young man placed his bag on the ground and Tom took a quick look.

''Ahh YES, I am paying the toll please''. He said in an unsure voice. He quickly paid and went quickly inside.

''So Pa, how long do you think?'' said Tom .

''Three minutes'' said Gaz.

''So short?'' excalaimed Tom in an suprised manner.

Gaz only sighed and said:''Yeah, he forgot his bag.'' while pointing at the tan bag lying on the ground. 

 

 

1