I Bow to the King
54 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

How long would he stare at me? How long would he ignore the world? Is this my fate? This is where I die? Is this it?  I can’t understand this demon! What does he hope to gain by ignoring the world? I took a deep breath and contemplated the decree of the voice. This is a test, this isn’t real. That description is wrong, this is real. It just isn’t as frantic as I make it out as.

This is a demon, this is what we are trained to kill. I closed my eyes and hardened myself for the truth.

I let the shadow encase me, I let myself become the shadow, my bow became an extension of myself. I didn’t move a muscle, waiting, patient for the one single instant of weakness.

Demons aren't patient creatures, head first rushed straight into the wall of top-class students.

“Julnul! (Silence!)” Scarlet’s toxic voice cut through the screams. The devil tried to retort with a chant, but his voice was mute.

“You got 5 minutes!” She declared, her feet rooted in place. The true power of her birthright, entrapment. The ability to perfectly replicate any heard language, enchanting those who hear her. She silenced the demon, but without her complete focus, the spell would be broken.

“You are an enemy of the King!” Anax decreed as the world shrouded itself in an endless shadow. The movement of the demon was slowed visibly, the aura of the king. I felt my heart contract and my palms sweat.

‘Another king? Seems this generation is destined to command the world.’

“He is the only king.”

‘When there is a king as bright as him. There is destined to be a king in the shadows. He may control the world, but you will command the darkness.’

“I’m not the king!” I proclaimed against the voice. The events that followed the edict of kings was a series of events that shaped the world.

He only laughed at my bellow. The demon had reached the front lines, his fist met a white shrouded broadsword of Ji. Black blood painting the blade, anti-magic.

Kys appeared out of nowhere behind him and slashed at the demon, wind slashes decapitating the still demon. Blood spurted out from the headless body, but the demon only chuckled progressively louder by the seconds.

‘They are good, very strong prospects. Talents only created at the brink of war. But when will you act, kid?’

I hate this man, detest for him on par with Scarlet.

“I bow down to the King!” I bent onto one knee, the aura from Anax answered my call. I felt my power surge, the shadows grew darker. The arrow escaped the bow silent; the world was silent. This is what it means to be in the shadows, silent, patient, deadly. The body of the demon was nonreactive to the threat of the pitch-black arrow. It pierced him straight through the heart gap left in his rib cage. The blood poured out, as the monster let out a bestial shrill.

“I’ll kill you all!” He screamed; Scarlet fell to the ground unable to act anymore.

‘You guys pissed him off. This is getting fun!’

The demon walked over to his head and placed it back on his body. The gap in his chest healing without resistance.

Rae's palms shined holy yellow; rays landed on the Scarlet, who was getting better by the second.

Everyone was on edge, the penetrating gaze of the demon affecting them all.

I released another arrow, it soared but the demon dodged to the left.

“I won’t-“ The arrow curved and embedded itself in his back. Immediately exploding, breaking his hold on everyone.

“We will fight! We will hold out!” I announced from the shadows waking the strong-willed idols before me.

The demon disappeared from his spot and reappeared in front of me. He swung his fist and socked me between the eyes.

‘Time for some close combat.’

“Son of a bitch!” I spat, blocking the follow-up punch with my bow.

“You’re right. Mother is a bitch,” he laughed his fist cracked the bow with a second punch.

The bow was splintering and with the third connection of his fist, it shattered. I reflectively ducked and jumped out of the reach. He chased but I was able to stay just barely out of reach but using eyesight.

Kys blocked the fist with his blade. His teeth grit and his bones cracked. The shrill of metal echoed across the battlefield.

“You ready to use your blade?” He didn’t turn back to me, but I knew the question was towards me.

I didn’t have time to hesitate, he already threw the second blade at his side to me. It felt foreign yet perfect. It felt more of me than the bow ever did. I felt my shadow’s roar of acceptance for the cold steel.

Ji and Anax appeared not long after as they joined Kys in holding the demon.

Against the three of them, the demon equally traded blows not taking a single step backward.

‘You think we don’t know your history? Use the damn blade.’ He commanded; his jubilant tone gone replaced by seriousness.

The demon exploded out in anger. They all flew away while I stuck in place. He rushed me, and instinctually I held the blade and stopped the fist.

I was nervous, I was scared, I felt the demon’s breath in my face. I was bewitched unable to function. I’m not ready! I’m not able to do this. I’m not steadfast, I’m not strong enough.

“Nul! (Stop!)” Scarlet screamed at the demon his body frozen for a single instant.

This single moment allowed me the time to catch my thoughts. I felt the vibrations of my chest from the rampaging beat of my heart. I felt the strain of my eyes as the world slowed down to a snail’s pace. I saw Scarlet out of breath, broken, her face only filled with pain.

I couldn’t let this go to waste. I couldn’t let what everyone fought for being for naught! I tightened my grip on the blade and let out a howl my sword swung towards his chest.

“I will fight the King’s enemies! I will be the King’s sword! I offer myself to the King!” I professed to the aura. Anax’s aura roared into action engulfing my blade. With a single slash, the demon was covered in darkness.

‘Push away your limits! Show the world the will of the shadow king!’

“I’m no king! I’m only a king’s shadow!” I shouted to the heavens. This world has a king, and he isn’t me.

0