Smiling in Failure
145 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone on their acceptance into the Jupiter Academy was tested and questioned on their magic ability. If we didn’t have a magic they had a teacher for, we were left to our own endeavors. Being the author, I wrote down the notes I remembered on the most powerful shadow novel. I sadly didn’t touch on the scenario too much as a side character was the one to get their hands on the book, and they then went to back to the academy to teach.

The only real mention of them finding it was a report left in the novel where the finder did an interview on the topic.

“The strongest shadow isn’t powerful in the darkest point. It is strongest behind the strongest light. By taking this quote to heart I traveled in search of that point. Out in the middle of the Green Plains, I found a sole cave and it there I found Master Kuri’s inheritance.”

It would be decades before that sole student would take this journey into the Green Plains. It would be required that I get that inheritance before Lorri, but even if I obtained it now I could neither protect it nor learn from it. I wouldn’t be able to understand his profound analogies or comprehend his experiences. It is also assumed that there is a form of test that I wouldn’t be able to pass.

In my current standing, the best choice would be to find a beginner’s manual but there weren’t many of them in the first place, the only one mentioned was in Jupiter’s library.

Which is why I’m currently sitting around in the library mulling over every word in the novel at my desk. “The strongest shadow… There is that quote again.” I mused, the pages flipping by. Going far enough I closed the book and walked to the librarian to check out.

+++

Inside the training room, I turned the book to the first spell. I took a basic shooting pose and let my shadow flow through me. Beyond infusing the bow into me there was giving the arrow and bow a shadow element. Before the shadows surrounded the arrow to help it on its trajectory, now I need to atomically change the arrow. Unlike before when the arrow lodged itself in the target it now soared right through, leaving a clean entry and exit.

At this 50 meter range, I had 100% accuracy. This meant nothing though, I needed to push myself further. I knew this but couldn’t push the button to move the target further away. I stood rooted in place my eyes locked with the button to increase the training’s grade level.

“I’m scared,” I admitted to myself, my body stiff.

I pictured Kys standing above me, his eyes slits like snakes with his already deep voice demonic as he laughed and taunted at my lower self, “You are not good enough to challenge me with a bow. You will never be anything! You will forever be in my shadow!”

I was hesitant, but I took a deep breath and pushed the grade to be higher. I took up the bow and reminisced about my days back on the range.

“There you go Aster! You’re doing great!” I heard mother’s shout as I hit the target for the first time. I lowered the bow and walked over and increased the distance. The shouts of encouragement from my other alone weren’t enough.

I released an arrow followed immediately by a second arrow as they embedded themselves in the target. ‘Harder…further!’

I needed a fire, I needed something to run from. That was when his fiery face returned, Kys.

“Target will now begin moving.” The robot warned.

I saw the target that had static before now begin pace side to side. The movements were rhythmic without the need to activate “Slow Time” which is still something else I needed to train.

Grade after grade I pushed myself further to my limits. Even when my accuracy deflated from perfect I didn’t let off the mission. “I’m not done yet!” I proclaimed as I saw Anax’s broad shoulders with him unwilling to look back at me. I was behind him, I couldn’t stand at his side!

I notched an arrow and it missed, but I didn’t fret at this moment I wasn’t allowed to fret. Another arrow sat in my pulled bowstring as the world slowed. I felt the pain of my power as the erratic movements of the target became predictable. I saw the target put its force into its left foot, and immediately released the arrow. Like an assassin, the arrow moved through the darkness straight through the imaginary heart.

This alone wasn’t enough, this wasn’t enough to be noticed by the apex. I had to go higher, I couldn’t allow myself to plateau.

“Kys, I…” I slowed my breathing irrelevant to my rampant heart. I noticed the hardened calluses on my palms from the years of swordsmanship. I lost focus, losing track of the even more erratic target. “I…” I thought back to my created memories with Kys where we fought time and time again. He always stood above me, he never slowed. He couldn’t allow himself to lose, the passion he held for the fight as the bloody smile covered his face.

The world again slowed. The pain was rougher than before, but I pushed through waiting for the slight predictable movement. There was a slight hesitation in the target as it juked right. The notched arrow left with an inaudible bang, deadlier than the last. “I will surpass you,” I muttered knowing the arrow hit.

“The target will now actively dodge the User.”

Ji, a man as dedicated and unwavering as myself. He never hesitated though, he never let off from his path. Kys, a man who lived for the fight, who lived for the next challenge. Anax, a man so talented and righteous the world was in the palm of his hand. Ji, a man who would never stop walking forward with a giant blade cutting the path forward.

In a staring match, neither I nor the target acted. I felt the pressure of the 674 people ranked above, I felt the expectations of the System that placed me here. I felt the passion of every reader who ever clicked on my story. I would forever be in their shadows.

My shadow encased my body as my vision turned dark. This wasn’t something I ever remembered noting in my settings, but I had an inkling on what it was, enlightenment. Through the constant usage of my magic and in my chase for perfect my magic heard my plea.

Without hesitation, the final arrow left my grasp, dodged effortlessly by the target. Though even in my failure I was smiling.

5