Chapter 138. Ayumi, the Capitalist
343 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The marketplace was super packed which is surprising since it has only been two months since we managed to revitalize the inner parts of the town. There were still plenty of houses on schedule for demolition and rebuild but that didn’t change the liveliness inside the town as people freely shopped all around.

 

“Tanya, do you have some sort of hood?” I looked at Tanya and asked.

 

“I knew you would ask that sooner or later,” she smiled before taking out a hood from her tiny leather waist bag, the hood somehow managed to flip her leather waist bag, which was surprising but then again, she did fold it many times which made it a bit crumpled.

 

I didn’t mind though as I immediately wore the crumpled hood and with the help of a little bit of wind magic managed to uncrumple most of the parts as I looked at her before she nodded. It seems like this should be enough for me to go incognito though then again, there is little hope for me to be able to disguise myself properly because of my unique hair and eyes.

 

“Let’s go search for intriguing stuff, shall we?” I suggested while reaching my hand towards her as she nodded before the two of us soon entered inside the super populated marketplace.

 

The marketplace wasn’t too spacious to move on, but it was enough for us to navigate through even though the allocated space of the marketplace is super large, the amount of people going in and out at the same time is practically innumerable.

 

“It’s more populated than I initially thought, what is the maximum amount of people do the councils think this marketplace can handle?” I asked while looking around.

 

“According to the Council of Trade and Construction, the marketplace should be able to operate fine with at least a thousand and two hundred people, and only then would it reach its safe operating limit which would then require intervention from the Defense Council to try and loosen up the marketplace,” she answered.

 

I was a bit impressed—the marketplace is a free trading space which is maintained by three different who all signed the oath of anti-corruption which are the Council of Trade and Construction, Workers Council, and the Defense Council who all have their individual parts to oversee and maintain, I estimated the marketplace to only be able to hold at least a hundred or five hundred people but a thousand indeed broke my mind.

 

All three councils could be seen doing their job well though as there were plenty of guards roaming around helping maintain the peace inside the marketplace, there were builders who were also inspecting the safety of the stalls and inspectors who were checking the items being sold for safety.

 

“Defense Council, hmm… that reminds me, have you seen Lia and Faron lately? The two of them practically vanished after being assigned to manage the Defense Council,” I smiled bitterly as we walked around the marketplace, glancing at the many stalls.

 

Some stalls sold barbeque, vegetables, and fresh meat with different merchants coming from different towns and cities selling their own place’s specialties but most of them are still common items only decorated a little differently.

 

“Lia and Faron have been managing the security of all four walls, my lady. From what I heard from Raeliana, Sheena is also assisting with the farmers over how to farm more efficiently with your methods,” she spoke.

 

“I see…” I replied before a tiny stall over at the corner where an elderly lady together with a little girl who might be her granddaughter could be seen selling some kind of green rooted plant which looked familiar to me, “That looks interesting…”

 

“Tanya, do you know what kind of plant that is?” I looked at Tanya and asked while pointing at the little stall at the corner before she shook her head.

 

“It doesn’t seem to be a common plant, my lady. I think it is some kind of special plant that could only be cultivated in a certain village, are you perhaps interested?” she answered as I nodded.

 

“Let’s check it out real quick,” I said before she nodded as the two of us navigated our way towards the little stall before the two of us reached the stall where upon seeing the plant up close, I soon came to realize what it was.

 

The plant was none other than wasabi or Japanese horseradish which shocked me as I took a closer look at the plant before a window surprised me, the window showed all the details that I needed to know… it was a new window that I haven’t seen before.

 

Wasabi (Japanese Horseradish) – 2 silver coins/kilogram

Wasabi, otherwise known as Japanese Horseradish, is a plant of the Brassicaceae family which also includes horseradish and mustard in other genera. A paste made from its ground rhizomes is used as a famous pungent condiment for sushi and other foods. (Source: Mikipedia)

 

I felt like laughing a bit from seeing that source part but held myself back as I looked at the horseradish once more with all my interest piqued. Wasabi wasn’t really hard to make but the plant is in particular hard to farm which is why it is expensive even in the modern world and for them to sell them at a measly 2 silver coins for a kilogram is shocking.

 

That is literally twenty dollars for a kilogram of wasabi plant! Can you imagine how many people would flock for this price in the modern world?! Though, how did the system know its price before I could even ask…?

 

“Excuse me but what is this plant called?” I asked despite knowing the answer.

 

The elderly looked a bit surprised but answered quickly, “The plant is called hora-radia, it isn’t much known from anywhere other than our village, are you perhaps interested, young lady?”

 

“Mhm, what is it usually used for?” I inquired.

 

“Hora-radia doesn’t really have much use, young lady. Its leaves are the only edible part, which is still good enough but other than that, there isn’t much use to it…” she answered which didn’t surprise me that much since I don’t think they know yet how to make wasabi paste.

 

Modern variants of graters do exist after Kaori had a hard time using the wooden graters according to one of her rants while she was introducing the pizza to the world. There were still a lot of things that the modern world has while this world doesn’t which leaves me with a lot of opportunities to become rich soon and wasabi is one of them.

 

If we can purchase a large supply of wasabi or even take the village under our care then we would be able to have a gigantic money pot soon especially since we could technically sell some wasabis paste for around a few gold coins and there would still be a large line of customers… Woah there, I am slowly turning into a capitalist the longer I stay here.

 

“Hmm—where is your village located, do you mind if I talk with your village leader in a few days from now?” I looked at the elderly with a smile as I took one plant before smelling it as it indeed matched the wasabi plant I bought back in my old world which cost me a lot.

 

Kaori, in particular, loves real wasabi a lot that she even bought enough wasabi to last her for a long time in the past—well compared to me, she was an extraordinarily rich lady and could have been a supermodel, a billionaire, or some sort if she didn’t follow me which I do feel guilty about.

 

“That… did we perhaps do something wrong…? Please don’t involve our village!” the elderly lady suddenly reacted which surprised me as the little girl also followed after her which made me feel bad as I shook my head.

 

“I didn’t mean it in that way, I am asking whether I can ask for a large supply or a long-time contract with the supply of this plant to the town… I am sorry if it sounded like that,” I said before all of a sudden, the top of my hood suddenly loosened up as my mixed white and brown hair fluttered in the air.

 

Immediately, I could feel the gazes of everyone as my identity was immediately exposed. Whispers ran throughout the marketplace as a lot of people stared at me with surprise—of course, they would be surprised to see me since I rarely come out now.

 

“Excuse me but are you perhaps the young lady who is taking care of this town…?” the elderly lady looked at me with shock.

 

“Err… I guess my disguise is busted, Tanya… what should I do?” I immediately looked at Tanya as she heaved a little sigh before letting out a chuckle.

 

“There is nothing you can do, milady… just finish your business as soon as possible,” she answered as I looked at the elderly lady with a nod.

 

“Err… I am indeed the young lady, though that doesn’t really matter… it should be fine if I meet your village chief right?” I said before she nodded without hesitation.

 

“We have no problem at all, young miss—though, I am curious why you want to have a deal with us over this plant that has little use…?” she asked.

 

“It’s a trade secret, naturally… anyway, I will be buying all of your supply for today. That should be enough to last the two of you for a long time right?” I smiled before taking out a single gold coin and handing it to her as she looked a bit shocked.

 

“Young miss… this is too much!” she tried to give it back, but I immediately rejected.

 

“Take it, you will need it to feed the village and nourish your granddaughter. You can use the extra money to buy a room at the inn and some meals. After two days, feel free to come to the manor… we will need your directions to the village,” I said.

 

She hesitated a bit but nodded afterward as I gestured Tanya to wrap the wasabi plants on a paper bag which she quickly followed, placing all the wasabi plants which were around forty of them on several paper bags before the two of us quickly left under the gaze of many.

 

Many wanted to talk to me but were too shy to, it does feel weird to be in the center of attention like an idol. I was never someone who enjoyed being stared at by many people, rather I was someone who preferred to be in the background.

 

“My lady, if you don’t me asking, what use do you have for these plants? Didn’t the elderly lady already say it has little use?” Tanya asked curiously.

 

“The plant isn’t useless at all, it can be made into something that will definitely generate us a giant pot of money. As long as we don’t reveal the method of making it, we can earn thousands of gold coins from the nobility soon…” I answered.

 

“My lady is indeed keeping it vague but from the excitement on you, I can tell it must be something gigantic enough to move the food industry, is that correct?” she replied before I giggled.

 

Gigantic enough to move the entire food industry—indeed, it can be called that once I manage to come up with the dishes to use it as well. All the Japanese food I have in mind, I could feel my inner self drool from imagining it.

 

“Let’s head back to the manor, have the guards call Kora, Raeliana and Sheena—make sure to have the five leaders of the Trade and Food Council invited as well, we have something that will generate us a lot of revenue…” I looked at Tanya and said before she nodded as we walked towards the manor.

 

I was in a joyous mood, to be able to find wasabi for an unbelievably cheap price—forty wasabi plants, can you imagine?! A kilogram of wasabi costs around a hundred or even more dollars yet I could purchase it for as little as 2 silver coins, though I did give her a gold coin which is already worth ten thousand dollars, but you understand what I mean!

 

Wasabi will definitely be a hit in the nobility, not just in the kingdom but in the entire continent… I can already feel the capitalist inside of me exploding in enjoyment as we ran towards the manor, entering inside as Tanya immediately left to call the others.

16