A Grave In The Middle Of Nowhere
125 6 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Currently, in the middle of nowhere…

“P-please give me another chance! I-I swear I can pay it back!”

“Sorry, buddy. It doesn't work that way. You’ve had your chance, a three-month-long chance at that. You were quite lucky, he usually doesn't give deadlines that long.”

Were two people, one was a brown-haired man dressed in a black shirt, blue jeans, and some old combat boots. He was sitting on the hood of a vintage midnight blue 1970 SS Chevelle smoking a cigarette with a double-stacked 1911 pistol attached with a suppressor in his hand.

As for the other, he was a bald, overweight man in a hole five feet deep with a shovel in his hands. His face was swollen and bloodied and the only piece of clothing he had on him was his slightly yellowed tighty-whitey underwear. 

I was the former. 

“H-how about this? I’ll tell you where I’m keeping the remaining bit of the money at and you can let me go. Deal?” 

While shaking his fat off due to the cold air, the poor bloke said. Giving him a look of disdain, I puff on my cigarette and say.

“Nope. You’re not about to run out on me like you did Mr. Brando. I’m not that stupid. Plus, if I were to turn my back on a client, especially one as big as Mr. Brando, my reputation as a fixer will hit rock bottom. I’m not willing to risk my livelihood for some bottom feeder like you. So, no deal. And besides, I already found the money, well, all of what’s left of it. It’s in the trunk right now in a bookbag. It wasn’t very smart hiding it in your floorboards ” 

It took me years to get to the level where I’m at. I’m not about to throw it all away now for some dude who isn’t going to live to see the sunrise. Staring at the man in the hole, I coldly said to him.

“You got one more foot left to go. Dig.”

“Please, I beg of you! I have a family…!”

“Don’t play that ‘I got a family’ card with me, Willy. You have no wife, nor do you have kids. From what I heard from the lovely ladies there, you love to frequent the brothels in the red light district.”

I’ve done my research on this guy. I found out where he lived, found out where he frequents and I found out who his immediate family was. And from that information, I could tell he was talking out his ass.

“No one told you to run off with a quarter-million dollars. That money was to be used to make a front for the family, not for splurging. You made your bed now lie in it. Now, dig.”

“I’m sorry!”

“Dig!”

“*Sniff* *sniff*”

With the sounds of sniffling and tears and snot running down his face, Willy continues digging the hole. The more dirt he scooped out, the harder his crying got. He knew what was coming next.

This hole was about to be his grave.

“That’s enough. Now, toss the shovel up here.”

Flicking the ashes off of my cheap ass cigarette, I commanded. 

“*Sniff* *sniff*.”

With a snot covered and teary face, he tossed the shovel out of the hole.

“Any last words?”

Hopping off the hood of my sexy vehicle, I pulled the slide back on my pistol and asked. Glaring at me with an understandable amount of anger, Willy looked at me and asked.

“Why are you doing this? Couldn’t you have just beaten me and taken the money back?”

“Well, the reason I’m doing this is because I was paid to do it. Mr. Brando is the head of a major crime family, the Brando’s. If he were to let you go just because of your pleading, wouldn’t that make him seem like a pushover? Loanees will start giving him the poor mouth, enemies will start making moves, and people will start feeling less respectful of him. In his eyes, that’s not good for business. You should’ve been thankful he gave you three months. But alas, you took that for granted.” 

Throwing the still-burning cigarette onto the ground, I stomped it out and said to the poor bastard. Mr. Brando was a nice man. However, once you start fucking with his family or his businesses, that niceness can become cold-hearted cruelty at the drop of a coin.

“Hopefully. In the next life, you won’t try to skip out on your payments, huh?”

Aiming my pistol towards his head, I said emotionlessly. It’s about time I wrap this up, it’s starting to get chilly out here.

“Wai-”

PEW! 

Before he could even finish his sentence, I pulled the trigger and shot him in the head, splattering blood and brain matter everywhere in the hole. And like a puppet with its strings cut, he dropped. Just to make sure he stayed dead, I put two more rounds in his chest, more specifically, the heart.

I’ve seen way too many people survive a gunshot to the head so I know that a headshot isn’t always the sure way to go. Therefore, two rounds in the heart should effectively stop all possibilities of survival.

“Now to take a picture.” 

Pulling out my smartphone, I snap a few pictures of Willy’s body. It’s a way to confirm that I completed my job. Once I was done with that, I picked up my cigarette butt, the three shell casings, and stuffed them in my pocket, and grabbed the shovel.

It was time to bury him. 

***

“Sigh, there we go.”

Patting the now covered hole turned grave with the shovel, I said with a somewhat tired sigh before walking to the back of my car. Popping its trunk, I place the shovel in it and lay it beside the book bag filled with cash. 

After that, I close the trunk and look around...

“...”

There was nothing in sight but trees, dirt, and cloudy skies. It was quite a secluded place.

“Nobody would find him here.”

With this thought in mind, I walked towards the driver's side of the car and while I was doing so, I unscrewed the suppressor from my pistol. I used it just in case somebody heard it from afar. 

A gunshot rings louder in an empty space than a crowded one so it was better safe than sorry.

When I got in, I placed the suppressor in the glove box and placed the pistol in the holster attached to the driver's door. Then I take my keys and place them in the ignition...

VROOM!

With a roar followed by the low chugging noise of the 454 big-block engine, I shift into gear and drive off.

"Let's see what's on the radio."

Not able to take the silent drive anymore, I said to myself and turned on my radio. I wanted to listen to some music on my phone via the auxiliary cord but because I considered it to be a disrespect to all muscle-car enthusiasts out there, I decided not to and stuck with the original radio.

Well, I say original but because the original radio had wires that were somewhat destroyed when I first got it, I had to buy a whole new inner wiring system for it. So it's new on the inside but old on the outside.

"Hello, folks! Thanks for tuning into the 106.8FM. Today we'll be talking about…"

"Nah."

Not feeling in the mood to listen to a man jittery as fuck due to drinking too much coffee, I turned the radio station.

"On tonight's news, there have been reports about a shootout on Homewood Drive. Leaving eight dead and four wounded…"

"Look, I already killed one person. I don't wanna have to hear about more of them."

Showing a wry smile, I complained to the radio as I turned it.

"Sunshine~ blue skies…"

"Ah, The Temptations. I haven't heard them in a while."

Listening to the melancholic vocals of the late great David Tiffin, I continue my drive back to the city.

***

"Welcome to Lost Haven, the city of refuge and opportunity...Pshh, yeah, right. More like the city of hell and mayhem!"

Staring at the huge sign on the outskirts of the city introducing unsuspecting visitors to its name, I said derisively as I drove past it. That sign is nothing but lies. 

It's been that way ever since its creation. 

This city was originally built as a place of refuge for those who didn't have a home to go to after the war and for those who were looking for a new beginning.

I'm pretty sure this was well-intentioned for the most part but they didn't factor in the fact that within those refugees and opportunists were criminals from all walks of life. Whether it's mobsters, gangsters, killers, or prostitutes, as long as it has anything dealing with illegal activities, Lost Havens' has a person who does it.

This place is a complete cesspool. Crimes are rampant, the police are corrupt and backstabbers with only their self-interest in mind are everywhere. But despite all these cons…

“I love this city.”

This city made it possible for me to disappear and start afresh. Yeah, it was tough when I first arrived here, having only the clothes on my back and the knife in my boot. There were times where I even had to resort to searching in dumpsters for food! But after I learned that I could sell my skills for profit, I worked really hard to get the level where I’m at now.

Therefore, I love this city!

“Hey, handsome. Would you like to spend a night with me? We can see whether or not the “engine” in your pants is as big as the one in your car.”

While waiting for my light to turn green at an intersection, a lady working the corner in an extremely short dress and high heels walked towards my Chevelle and asked. She smelled of heavy perfume and caked up makeup.

“Probably next time. I just had a long day at work so I’m a bit too tired to play knocking boots with you.” 

Showing a smile, I smoothly grip my 1911 and say to her. There are some hookers out here who would draw in drunk and horny customers only to rob them. If that’s what she’s trying to do, I’m not about to make that statistic. 

“Aww, don’t be like that now. I’m sure a little BJ won’t hurt. For you, handsome, my fee is $15.”

Trying to show off her sex appeal by leaning on the car to show off her abysmal cleavage, the prostitute said with a perverted smile. Some of her teeth were crooked and rotten, probably from years of smoking crack. If I were to hit that, there’s a 50/50 percent chance that I’ll end up getting burned. 

...That’s a situation I don’t want to have to go to my doctor about.

“Like I said, maybe next time. I promise.”

Then the light turned green.

VROOM!

Not wanting to talk to her anymore, I pressed the gas, causing the hooker to jump back from the car in surprise. In the rearview mirror, I could see her flicking me off but I didn’t care, my son’s safety was more important than a few minutes of good “fun”.

After driving for about twenty minutes…

WHOOP! WHOOP!

The sounds and lights of a police car could be heard behind me. Cursing the police officer in my head, I pulled over to the side and put the car in park.

"What's the problem officer?"

Squinting due to the bright ass flashlight being flashed in my face, I ask the police officer. With the light still in my eyes, the officer said.

"You forgot to use your turn signal at that back there."

"Really? My bad. Today has been a long day you see."

I then point at my dirty appearance.

Due to moving the body to make sure it'd fit in the hole and won't be easily dug up, my shirt and jeans got covered with dirt.

"What do you do?"

"Construction. I work at that construction site over there on Filders Drive."

I said with a smile. Before he even left his car, I already had a story in mind.

"Oh, so you're working on the new mall being built?"

"Yessir. I had to stay late today because I had to fill out some paperwork. Sigh, I'm dead tired. Can't wait to go home and hit the sack."

"I know how you feel. Well hand me your driver's license real quick and I'll finish up as fast as I can."

"Sure."

Digging into my pocket, I bring out my wallet and hand him my ID.

"I'll be right back."

Removing the annoying ass light from my face, the cop said as he went back to his car. While I was waiting, the urge to smoke crept up on me so I took a cigarette out and lit it, dumping the ashes out the window as I smoked.

“Here you go, Mr. Dominic.”

After running me through the system, the officer came back and handed me my driver’s license. Giving him my thanks, I take the card and place it back into my wallet.

“Oh yeah, before I forget, were you a former soldier?”

The police officer suddenly asked. Raising my vigilance to the max, I carefully said.

“...I was. Why do you ask?”

“Because those dog tags hanging on your mirror caught my attention.”

Landing his gaze on the dog tags hanging from my rear-view mirror, the officer said. Taking them down, I held the tags in my hand. Running my thumb over the name ‘Allen Wernstein’, I said with a sad smile.

“These were the dog tags of my friend. He died just before the war ended. Him and his whole team got ambushed on a ridgeline and were decimated.”

“Then my apologies. I didn’t mean to bring up such a bad memory. If it makes you feel any better, I lost some friends in the war too.”

“You did?”

“Yeah, I was a part of an M1 tank crew back in Ezurkastan. I lost a friend due to a sniper. Couldn't even see his face one last time due to it being blown off.”

“You were there during the Ezurkastan Conflict?”

“Yep. That place was hell.”

“ I hear you. I was there as well, doing small team operations trying to combat Ladafi’s forces. You have my condolences.”

I said respectfully. 

Ever since World War III happened 40 years back, conflicts of all kinds started to sprout from all over the world. Monarchs were being established, regimes were being torn down, terrorists were running rampant and new democracies were being formed. And the reason for that was simple, the war shook the world powers to a foundational level. 

Old nations crumbled and new ones were formed. If you were to look at the world map now, it’d look way different from 50 years ago.

“Well, taking into account that we shared the same experience back in Ezurkastan, I’ll let you go with a verbal warning. Have a nice night Mr. Dominic.”

“Haha, you too.”

Giving him a nod, I crank the car back up and drive off.

“At least he isn’t a corrupt one.”

Taking a puff from my cigarette, I said to no one in particular. There’s a large number of cops in this city who are corrupted beyond imagination. In my line of work, this is a good thing but also a bad thing. They can give you someone’s information but they can also sell your information. 

Using them is a double-edged sword.

BZZT! BZZT!

Suddenly my phone rings. Picking it up, I see who it is and answer the call.

“I’m heading your way no Mr. Brando, I’ll be over shortly.”

“Ah, that’s good then. I was just about to have dinner. I’ll notify the guards of your arrival shortly. I want to hear about what happened to good ol’ Willy. I’ll see you later.”

“Okay. I’ll see you there.”

And with that, I hung up and tossed my phone into the passenger seat. It was also at this time, I started to notice that it began to rain. Water droplets were falling onto my window. Not wanting to get my black leather interior wet, roll up my window, and continue my drive to Mr. Brando’s residence.

Today’s going to end in a huge payout!

***

Author's Note

  • Here it is, my newest story! I hope you like the introduction chapter. I've been wanting to write something like this for awhile now and I'm finally doing it. I don't know how it'll turn out since I decided this on a whim.

  • Btw, do you like Dominic's car? It was agonizing trying to pick a cool ass muscle car from the 60's and 70's.

5